Match Thread Denmark v Scotland - World Cup Qualifier

We should be demanding more money from Sky as our football product is quite good.
Scotland get battered every where they go !

'We have improved since three/four years ago, that could have potentially been four or five nil but we dug in'

An actual quote from Andy Robertson post match. This in a nut shell sums up the mentality problem in Scottish football and it’s endemic from the SFA, through the manger, to the players and fans.
Is that what he said? Ffs, be as well withdrawing from the tournament.

'We have improved since three/four years ago, that could have potentially been four or five nil but we dug in'

An actual quote from Andy Robertson post match. This in a nut shell sums up the mentality problem in Scottish football and it’s endemic from the SFA, through the manger, to the players and fans.

Robertson is a loser! He’s won what’s he won because of those around him at Liverpool.

My opinion I know I’ll get jumped on for this haha

Robertson is a loser! He’s won what’s he won because of those around him at Liverpool.

C'mon, as much as I hate the fact he's one of them, he went from Queens Park to Liverpool legend and EC winner in a short space of time. You'll be deservedly jumped on for calling him a loser!
Scotland would do well to have a few more of his ilk.
Robertson's not the problem, the SFA and Clarke are.

C'mon, as much as I hate the fact he's one of them, he went from Queens Park to Liverpool legend and EC winner in a short space of time. You'll be deservedly jumped on for calling him a loser!
Scotland would do well to have a few more of his ilk.
Robertson's not the problem, the SFA and Clarke are.

I’m fishing mate haha but he isn’t half the player Liverpool fans and Scotland fans think he is

I’m fishing mate haha but he isn’t half the player Liverpool fans and Scotland fans think he is

He definitely plays better, excels in the role Klopp gives him, a bit like when Dalglish struggled for Scotland. Didn't have the same quality beside him.
But, he's been brilliant for Liverpool, their fans love the guy. I think he's a c*nt but a very good player :)

He definitely plays better, excels in the role Klopp gives him, a bit like when Dalglish struggled for Scotland. Didn't have the same quality beside him.
But, he's been brilliant for Liverpool, their fans love the guy. I think he's a c*nt but a very good player :)

Exactly what I said, he excels with world class talent around him. In a Scotland shirt with mediocrity around him he’s mediocre himself. That makes him not world class. CR7 dragged Portugal to a title my own nation has been dragged along by Bale. Maradona won a world cup on his own basically, these are world class players. Robertson isn’t.

I know what you're getting at, couple of injuries and Liverpool had an awful season last year. A Bayern Munich or Juve would have been shipping him on by now and churning out the next superstar. I too think his world class rating, and at one time arguably best in the world in his position are long gone

I stand corrected.

I think the game you have mentioned happened circa 1975. Arthur Graham, Willie Young, possibly Peter Lorimer and someone else.

Graham's ban was rescinded, as he scored for Scotland v Argentina in 1979.

Just seen other posts that the game we are talking about happened in 72, but Bremner wasn't banned as early as that.
Pat McCluskey.

I stand corrected.

I think the game you have mentioned happened circa 1975. Arthur Graham, Willie Young, possibly Peter Lorimer and someone else.

Graham's ban was rescinded, as he scored for Scotland v Argentina in 1979.

Just seen other posts that the game we are talking about happened in 72, but Bremner wasn't banned as early as that.

For a country with the same population as us the Danes where light years beyond us.
McKenna is a cart horse, Dykes awful when he came on. Only bright spot was it was only 2-0.

You're just getting confused nonstop. We beat them 4-1 away in 1972. Beat them home and away that year in WCQ. In 1975 we beat them home and away again in ECQ.

In answer to your original question - that is when we battered the Danes regularly. The Seventies!

We haven't done it much since.
It's about the last time it was fun watching Scotland.

70s and 80s were a pretty good time to be a Scotland supporter.

Since then, not so much.

It's about the last time it was fun watching Scotland.

70s and 80s were a pretty good time to be a Scotland supporter.

Since then, not so much.

It has been a tad dire since then.

I probably couldn't tell you which club the players play for.

was just coming on to say the same thing, Gilmour actually played really well under the circumstances, even when he found space his team mates made it extra hard for him to pass as they all stand motionless ????? where as the Danes pass then move for one another (it aint hard....)

I know Clarke is too defensive a coach until we are behind he changes it ?? but if I am being honest u could have A Ferguson in his prime in charge and its very difficult to get anything out of what they have to choose from - the strikers and central defence is appalling at Int Level.

the real problem lies with the Dinosaurs at the SFA, what have these other countries of similar or lower populations doing to constantly outperform Scotland for the last 20 years ? i would guess better facilities and coaches at a younger level - correct that, its going to take time but its a start........

Spot on mate. Started pressing with 20 minutes to go when the game was done.

Good point on both. I don't think of Arfield as a Scottish player although he did start with Falkirk. But most of his career was in England. Wright shows promise but it's early days still. But my point still stands. There are very few Scottish players at the level we need.
I don’t disagree with that, but other countries with limited quality frequently manage to perform better.

Wales are the most obvious and relevant example. Admittedly they do have one genuinely world class talismanic player, but the rest of their squad (with the possible exception of Ramsey) are more or less on a par with Scotland’s.

You could also look at Iceland who, with a population smaller than Edinburgh, managed to reach the quarter finals of the Euros in 2016.

Then there’s Ireland where the Republic have punched above their weight more often than Scotland over the years and Northern Ireland reached the knockout stages of the last but one Euros, the second time they’ve progressed beyond the group stages of a major tournament in the last forty years, something Scotland have still miserably failed to do.

We are hopeless underachievers and always have been.

I’m convinced we could perform a lot better than we have done with the right person in charge, but the mentality is chronically defeatist and Clarke doesn’t look like he’s the man to change it.

Exactly what I said, he excels with world class talent around him. In a Scotland shirt with mediocrity around him he’s mediocre himself. That makes him not world class. CR7 dragged Portugal to a title my own nation has been dragged along by Bale. Maradona won a world cup on his own basically, these are world class players. Robertson isn’t.
It was the same situation with Darren Fletcher.

It has been a tad dire since then.

I probably couldn't tell you which club the players play for.
I've said on here before, a lot of my passion for the National team died the night we lost 0-3 to Morocco in 1998.

It was the beginning of the end for me.

I don’t disagree with that, but other countries with limited quality frequently manage to perform better.

Wales are the most obvious and relevant example. Admittedly they do have one genuinely world class talismanic player, but the rest of their squad (with the possible exception of Ramsey) are more or less on a par with Scotland’s.

You could also look at Iceland who, with a population smaller than Edinburgh, managed to reach the quarter finals of the Euros in 2016.

Then there’s Ireland where the Republic have punched above their weight more often than Scotland over the years and Northern Ireland reached the knockout stages of the last but one Euros, the second time they’ve progressed beyond the group stages of a major tournament in the last forty years, something Scotland have still miserably failed to do.

I’m convinced we could perform a lot better than we have done with the right person in charge, but the mentality is chronically defeatist and Clarke doesn’t look like he’s the man to change it.

The problem starts and ends with the entire structure of our game up here and it’s archaic committee style governance.

We’re going absolutely nowhere any time soon while we keep theblazer chasing arseholes in charge. They have ruined our game for decades.

We need massive change from top to bottom. That’s what other countries have done to improve but we wont, because the likes of the Alloa chairman is NEVER going to give up his moment on the gravy train for the greater good. No chance.

It really is a depressing state of affairs, if anyone actually gives a %^*& about
the national team any more.

Seen a quote from Billy Dodds saying it was a game we went into “expecting to lose”.

Just another example of mindset that has made Scotland a complete shit show of a national side. A defeatist, happy to be here, we drew 0-0 with England attitude

Completely agree - Clarke awarded an extension on the back of qualifying for (scraping into) the Euros & getting a draw with England, despite being absolutely horrendous in the other 2 games, even though we were at home for both of them - 1 goal, 1 point & arguably played the worst football of all the teams.

Talking about the Danes "blowing us away" in the first half - the Danes that is, not 1970 Brazil. It's his job to put a system in place to at least try and stop it.

He looks completely nonplussed when we lose, as if he's distancing himself from it - IMO he's simply coasting along.

Hes a good player that has a brilliant attitude and obviously never gives anything less than his very best for both managers, the world class stuff i would guess comes from sky sports where everything is about the Premiership and not much else matters. I honestly thought it was a piss take the first time a few said it on here but it shows you how seriously people take the nonsense which sky, bt, talksport, epl podcasts, spunk out there 24/7.

He gets up and down, plays the ball into Salah who does his magic, with Scotland theres far less attacks and when he does get forward the odd time it usually comes to nothing. I agree with your other post hes of a similar level to the rest of the team i would say Patterson has more talent but ofcourse im biased.

I do have some sympathy for all the players out there though as theres no doubt the team could do better if we at least made some sort of attempt to play football, it makes no sense having a manager like Clarke when theres actually more talent in the squad now than in previous years.

Scotland needs a foreign manager someone with new ideas that encourages the wee guys to get on the ball and take sides like Denmark on. Sitting back, camping on the 18 yard line holding on like San Marino is pathetic... its not even a game plan we should have gone out to attack them a good start builds confidence and belief, the way we set up completely destroys it.

That defence for Scotland was horrific, they couldn't play in a line, they were all over the place, it was schoolboy stuff. players not stepping out with the rest of the defence and Tierneys defending for the first goal. As long as we have a dinosaur like SC in charge we will just end up going backwards.

Hes a good player that has a brilliant attitude and obviously never gives anything less than his very best for both managers, the world class stuff i would guess comes from sky sports where everything is about the Premiership and not much else matters. I honestly thought it was a piss take the first time a few said it on here but it shows you how seriously people take the nonsense which sky, bt, talksport, epl podcasts, spunk out there 24/7.

He gets up and down, plays the ball into Salah who does his magic, with Scotland theres far less attacks and when he does get forward the odd time it usually comes to nothing. I agree with your other post hes of a similar level to the rest of the team i would say Patterson has more talent but ofcourse im biased.

I do have some sympathy for all the players out there though as theres no doubt the team could do better if we at least made some sort of attempt to play football, it makes no sense having a manager like Clarke when theres actually more talent in the squad now than in previous years.

Scotland needs a foreign manager someone with new ideas that encourages the wee guys to get on the ball and take sides like Denmark on. Sitting back, camping on the 18 yard line holding on like San Marino is pathetic... its not even a game plan we should have gone out to attack them a good start builds confidence and belief, the way we set up completely destroys it.
Robertson is a good player, but IMO is a bit overrated, particularly in Scotland where we tend to latch on to any player doing well down south & reflect in their glory - primarily because there's so few of them!

They need a foreign manager? Whit, like Bertie Vogts? :oops:

B-D

Don’t like idea of trying to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into same team playing out of their natural position. Don’t think there actually good defenders anyway. In fact don’t like playing any player out of the position he plays week in week out !

Tbf he isn’t a loser as I say though I was fishing lol. What you say is a pretty fair assessment I’d say.

Clarke had a reputation for coaching teams into being hard to beat.

Scotland is anything but that, we concede far too easily.

We also allow teams to knock the ball about and allow their key players easy possession.

I don’t see what his plan is. How many times does he have to change the system at half time, and make subs?

If we’d have lost the penalty shootout in Serbia we’d be thinking of making a change now.

You would think whatever happened and regardless of how well/badly a team of his played, the one thing you could and should expect is a reasonable degree of organisation among the defence.

Steve Clarke has a vast amount of Coaching experience built up after a long career as a defender himself.

Reading his excuses for the loss I must be forgiven for thinking the above never happened.

Denmark inexplicably started the game trying to control the ball, create chances and score goals. How on Earth was Steve Clarke meant to anticipate this? He had planned carefully for Scotland to sit back and hope somehow it all worked itself out and had taken the extra precaution of playing players out of position just to confuse the Danes. Again, how was Steve Clarke to know the Danes would be smart, organised and act accordingly?

Dont the Danes know Scotland beat England to a draw a few months ago?

Clarke had a reputation for coaching teams into being hard to beat.

Scotland is anything but that, we concede far too easily.

We also allow teams to knock the ball about and allow their key players easy possession.

I don’t see what his plan is. How many times does he have to change the system at half time, and make subs?

If we’d have lost the penalty shootout in Serbia we’d be thinking of making a change now.

Doesn't work without the daily drilling which he aint getting in the international game

A dinosaur

Pumped by Czech Republic and Croatia but got that all important 0-0 win over England

Clarke is exactly what the SFA deserve as a manager
From the game reports they narrowly avoided another pumping against Denmark and were relieved to get out of the game only losing 2:0.

But the captain says they’re better than they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Somebody somewhere in the SFA has to realize Clarke isn’t really up to the job.

From the game reports they narrowly avoided another pumping against Denmark and were relieved to get out of the game only losing 2:0.

But the captain says they’re better than they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Somebody somewhere in the SFA has to realize Clarke isn’t really up to the job.
Qualifying for a competition for the first time in 25 years via the back door of the back door doesn’t make any team better than they were

but the SFA don’t see that and now they have Clarke long term as manager. They deserve each other

We got more media stick for that 0-0 last week - and actually qualifying - than Clarke is getting for being utterly embarrassed for the umpteenth time! They deserve every humiliation to come under Clarke.

Sorry but as much as I rate Robertson, his post match comments last night are car crash material and seriously bring into question his mentality as captain.

I get it that he’s being dragged down by what’s around him and who’s managing the team but to turn around and say at least it wasn’t 4 or 5 is disgraceful.

Clarke isn't a good manager but it's not as if Scotland can do much better with the talent available.

Had people trying to convince me in the summer we have a good squad (and on the verge of a 'golden generation', being held back by a bad coach. Absolute nonsense. We have some talent (Robertson, Tierney), potential (Gilmour) and the rest is bottom half EPL quality at best.

We actually had more talent available when Strachan was manager (Snodgrass, Maloney, Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Hutton etc). Don't buy into the myth that we're producing better players. We're not.

Robertson’s a left back. Do you expect a left back to carry a shit team to glory?

I am now purely watching Scotland games to get money from the bookies. 2 or more goals inside the first half made me a tidy sum. Steve Clarke is an utter wet bed of a manager.

Back