Derek McInnes named Scottish Premiership Manager of the Season

We've been in 5 European Finals in over 60 years mate. They don't happen that often and its not on our list of targets at the start of any season.

So if we want to get back to doing the business domestically again, it would be nice to have a manager who understands what's required to win Old Firm games for a start. Because since McCoist left, only 1 manager out of 7 has had that understanding. And not surprisingly, he's the only 1 that's won us the title so far. That's not a coincidence.
See post above.

100%.

At Aberdeen he had the second highest wagebill in the league in our absence, but all he had to show for it was one solitary League Cup win (on penalties against ICT).

Trying to put it in some sort of context, Steve Clarke had Kilmarnock neck and neck with both ourselves and the Yahoos for most of the 2018/19 season until falling away at the end.

That’s the sort of performance that makes you raise an eyebrow, IMO; McInnes bringing Kilmarnock in a distant fourth, much less so.

Putting aside the farcical episode that saw him reject the job when it was on offer, if our board was to ever turn to this goon it would be to signal that we were all out of ideas and a distant second place to the Beggars was the extent of our ambition.
"Goon" haha

See post 150.
I'm not banging the drum for him mate, I just think that's how it'll go and I wouldn't be against it now (I was before).

Clement is the exact profile of manager we've been crying out for. A proven winner, multiple league titles, Champions League experience and results. There was absolutely no downside to his appointment. But he's had 3 games v Celtic and so far doesn't seem to have grasped what these games are about. So if - and I hope not - but IF that continues to be the case and it doesn't work out, where does it leave us?

I'm not banging the drum for him mate, I just think that's how it'll go and I wouldn't be against it.

Clement is the exact profile of manager we've been crying out for. A proven winner, multiple league titles, Champions League experience and results. There was absolutely no downside to his appointment. But he's had 3 games v Celtic and so far doesn't seem to have grasped what these games are about. So if - and I hope not - but IF that continues to be the case and it doesn't work out, where does it leave us?
So McInnes, whose Aberdeen side routinely capitulated against the Beasts, is somehow worth a shot now because this season he’s managed to beat them twice with Kilmarnock?

As I say, if after Clement we turn to this guy then we’re more or less giving up.

The correct response for me in the event Big Phil fails is to go looking for another proven winner with multiple league titles and Champions League experience because that’s the bar we should be setting for ourselves, not some ridiculous Benidorm Bobby who rejected the opportunity when he had if before.

Not much to crow about - Bristol City bottom when he took over guided them to safety and then recorded a club record 7 straight losses and back among the bottom 3 , not a ringing endorsement .

The guy was part of the NIAR squad , scored in the champions league and played with some Rangers legends but hes never a Rangers manager .

Any more slip ups from the club and we could be staring down the barrel of another celtic terry munro bid. Appointing McInnes would be a slip up

Hes shown he can improve teams in Scotland consistently, his record at each club in Scotland he’s had them where they should be or higher than they should be. To do that at every club isn’t easy.

Hes shown he can improve teams in Scotland consistently, his record at each club in Scotland he’s had them where they should be or higher than they should be. To do that at every club isn’t easy.
I’m not sure how that qualifies him for the Rangers managers job ?

Hes shown nothing to suggest he could take rangers back to the top of the pile.

If it goes tits up next season. Clement is sacked and McInnes is appointed - Celtic will be on 6 in a row or 60 titles when we bin him.

Good luck to him, probably deserves the award

If we ever install him as Rangers manager then I’m afraid our current move to mediocrity will be entirely sealed

No surprise to see many willing to get to that though, sad really

Do people really think Aberdeen could have possibly won the league?

We can’t even do it now ffs. With the resources available there wasn’t a manager on the planet who could have done it with the sheep.

He's not a shite manager at all.

Ominously this appears more or less correct.

Got St. Johnstone promoted then guided them to two 8th place finishes before jumping ship to Bristol City where he was by any definition, shite.

At Aberdeen he benefited from our not being in the division, enjoyed the second highest wage bill in it and steered them to second place most seasons before quickly finding his level around fourth.

He then washed up at Kilmarnock where he won them promotion, narrowly avoided relegation back down and then this season hit the heady heights of fourth place.

So, by the same logic, he should have us a pretty comfortable second, maybe win a cup or two, and, well no, I was going to say continuing our relative success in Europe, but I think we might have to temper such expectations for that solid domestic showing.

You might have gathered I’m being a facetious prick (not for the first time) and it’s all about opinions, but for the life of me I can’t stand the lack of ambition in some Rangers fans, most of whom are usually first in with the boot when the said object of their absolute conviction turns out to be a prize turnip, or in McInnes’s case more like a particularly hoary old yam pinging away at the back of the vegetable box.

Derek McInnes has been named Scottish Premiership Glen’s Manager of the Season for 2023/24.

Under his leadership, Killie secured fourth place in this season's top flight and earned a place in the Europa League qualifiers for 2024/25.

The Ayrshire side secured top six football with a draw at Tynecastle in March before securing their spot in Europe in the first games in the top six, culminating in a 1-0 triumph over St Mirren in Paisley.

Derek McInnes said: "I am delighted to accept this award, like any individual award there is a whole support team that's played their part in it.

"Having brilliant staff, I am recognising the effort from all of them, and the efforts of the players. The club is working as one and everyone is contributing.

"When positive results play out on the pitch and individual awards get given, it's indicative of the club doing a lot of things right off the pitch."
Wee man capitulated against the Sceptic! 5 bloody times!!!!

Well done to him. No complaints from me. It'll be interesting to see how well they do season after next when they have a sensible, fair playing surface.
Don't mind McInnes. He might well manage us one day down the line. But not yet, not yet.
Rumours said he was rejected for the Gers job a few years back as Ibrox heid yins refused to pay off his huge gambling debts!!

McInnes is a fine manager in this league for clubs where their ambition is to make it into the european places and he'll likely get you to a cup final or two but that's the extent of what you'll get with McInnes as your manager. He should never be a Rangers manager and it's nothing to do with snobbery.

Supporters genuinely trying to convince themselves a manager with a 16% win rate away from that plastic pitch with Killie would make a good Rangers manager. His team also completely collapsed in a way that would make our squad this season look like mental warriors in the only top flight title fight he has ever been in as a manager.

It is my unwavering belief that those who advance this average wee fud for future residence at the top of the Ibrox marble staircase are the same people who still think Ryan Jack could 'do a job' and talk pish about xG.

Rather than accepting second best forever, have some respect and ambition for the famous Glasgow Rangers.

Correct choice in my opinion.
You can see he’s learned his trade from his years in the Premier League, and always speaks a lot of sense in interviews.
To have done what he’s done with Killie is phenomenal with a minuscule budget.
The Aberdeen board will still be rueing the day they let him go due to the thick fans up there hating his Rangers connection

What are you talking about?

McInnes sole major honour in over 17 years of management came 14 years ago, thats the point.
You replied to a comment that said, “He won the League Cup with the sheep”, by saying that he did so with Celtic out the way.

Clement won the same competition this year, with Celtic out the way. It doesn’t matter how many trophies in so many attempts McInnes done it, the main crux of your point was the part of your post I put in bold in the previous reply.

If you downplay McInness winning the League Cup because Celtic were out, you’re doing the same to Clement winning it this season.

Used to think this was a mad shout but I actually agree.

He's proven at Aberdeen and Killie that he can build good solid teams who stick to a system and know their jobs inside out. His recruitment is always top notch working on a shoestring budget.
Unfortunately our present manager has not shown he has what it takes to defeat the scum.
Bizzare team selections and learning absolutely nothing from each game we've played them.
I just hope he is hurting as much as the Rangers support right now.

What i find mad is that the club have spent a fortune on foreign players and went for 2 managers from abroad that looked pretty interesting appointments....... but we are still 2nd. Even so any mention of anyone from our league causes the same anger. You know he would fail if ever given the chance just by looking at his previous clubs, well Walter and Eck came from the same league.

You say we are back to rating him id guess a lot of posters have always liked him and feel there is a bit more to picking managers than looking at some stats.

McInnes doesn't get to us where Clement did, unfortunately. And I'm not sure anyone has disputed that there's more to picking a manager than looking at some stats.

My own feelings that he'd fail at the job were backed up when he didn't take the job when it was offered.

He deserves that manager of the season.

Took a poor Kilmarnock team and turned them around with mostly average players on a bad surface get the most from them.

Do I see him at Rangers in the future, no

Why? He had the chance and didn’t fancy it and that’s his level.

We are Rangers and big Phil will win it next season.

Some absolute snobs in our support, guy knows the Scottish game inside out, has done brilliantly with two team that have a fraction of our budget but because he doesn't have a foreign sounding name no thanks. Probably the same guys who turned their noses at the thought of Lewis Ferguson or Lawrence Shankland.

Big Eck wasn't exactly managing Barcelona before he comes to Rangers and looks what he achieved

McLeish was forty-one when he came to Rangers and on the up as a young manager.

By the time he was the age McInnes is now, Eck had won five trophies with Rangers, took us into the last sixteen of the CL, managed Scotland and managed in the EPL.

McInnes has managed St Johnstone, Bristol Rovers, the Sheep and Killie as he approaches his mid-fifties. How does that CV as a veteran manager qualify him for the Rangers job?

Some absolute snobs in our support, guy knows the Scottish game inside out, has done brilliantly with two team that have a fraction of our budget but because he doesn't have a foreign sounding name no thanks. Probably the same guys who turned their noses at the thought of Lewis Ferguson or Lawrence Shankland.

Big Eck wasn't exactly managing Barcelona before he comes to Rangers and looks what he achieved
Whats snobby about wanting better than a Kilmarnock/Aberdeen level manager or someone who shat his pants the last time he had the chance to be Rangers manager?

Look at his CV and then look at Clements, then tell me who’s is more impressive. But yeah, it’s just a foreign name we’re all after, that’s why Pedro went down so well. By the way Ally knew Scottish football inside out too.

McInnes manager of the year
Shankland player of the year.

As much as people never even accepted him as an option it could have been a very different story this year had we went with the obvious choices.
do you not get the feeling these awards are shaped in a way to make Shankland & McInnes more attractive to Rangers ?? ....... don't doubt both's respective's great seasons so well done for that

Knows what’s required to beat mentally challengeds he will be Rangers manager one day.

Maybe a lot quicker than people want sadly.

Lets see how he gets on when Kilmarnock tear up their plastic pitch and switch to grass. He's done a good job but you just need to look at their home wins in comparison to their away wins to see how much of an advantage that pitch gives them. Their stats are very different from other teams in the league.

Whats snobby about wanting better than a Kilmarnock/Aberdeen level manager or someone who shat his pants the last time he had the chance to be Rangers manager?

Look at his CV and then look at Clements, then tell me who’s is more impressive. But yeah, it’s just a foreign name we’re all after, that’s why Pedro went down so well. By the way Ally knew Scottish football inside out too.

Motherwell
Hibs

Alex McCleish

Rennes
Lyon ( 3 league titles )

Paul Le Guen

Le Guens CV looks alot more impressive than McCleish but who was the better manager at Rangers?
I'm not saying McInnes is the answer or comparing Clement to Le Guen but sometimes maybe need to look closer to home for the answer.

You replied to a comment that said, “He won the League Cup with the sheep”, by saying that he did so with Celtic out the way.

Clement won the same competition this year, with Celtic out the way. It doesn’t matter how many trophies in so many attempts McInnes done it, the main crux of your point was the part of your post I put in bold in the previous reply.

If you downplay McInness winning the League Cup because Celtic were out, you’re doing the same to Clement winning it this season.
You've missed the point completely.

He has won 1 solitary major honour in 14 years management in Scotland. The fact I mentioned Celtic were out of the way wasn't to diminish his achievement but to highlight he won it without facing a club he has a terrible record against.

For complete clarity, Mcinnes cant help who he faces and had he won the cup only playing lower league opposition it doesn't lessen the achievement,however it is only one cup when he was managing Aberdeen with Rangers,Hearts and Hibs out of the league during various years.

Personally, I don't understand the clamour for a long serving bang average manager I can only assume its because he was a former player in a hugely successful team.

McInnes doesn't get to us where Clement did, unfortunately. And I'm not sure anyone has disputed that there's more to picking a manager than looking at some stats.

My own feelings that he'd fail at the job were backed up when he didn't take the job when it was offered.
Again you dont really know that you just decide these are facts, we still did not win old firms(lots of cheating ofcourse) and came 2nd. Not so sure its outrageous to say DM would be able to do that. I could maybe accept getting through the group in europe and ofcourse any manager was in a tough position and needs/deserves plenty of time to put his own team on the pitch.

Dont get me wrong it is absolutely fascinating listening to people telling us exactly where our own youth players are going to end up (none are ever going to be good enough ofcourse)why the manager must always always be foreign with experience in better leagues and how crucial it is to steer clear of buying players like Shankland. Even though he wins poty ahead of the old firm players on big contracts... but yeah hes crap cos no clubs in England signed him.

Here one for you and the rest of the gang that can look into the future What was your view on Steven Gerrard before he arrived ? cos he had no experience at all in any management never mind our league.

That's fair tbh.

Personally never, ever want him as Rangers manager but fair play to him.
If Clement doesn’t work out (I really hope he does!) I’d be tempted. Back to basics and Scottish core, which hasn’t done us wrong in the past.

Record isn’t too dissimilar to Big Eck’s when he joined and he did a great job before the wheels off

If Clement doesn’t work out (I really hope he does!) I’d be tempted. Back to basics and Scottish core, which hasn’t done us wrong in the past.

Record isn’t too dissimilar to Big Eck’s when he joined and he did a great job before the wheels off
McLeish inherited one of the best squads in our history.

I’m not sure how that qualifies him for the Rangers managers job ?

Hes shown nothing to suggest he could take rangers back to the top of the pile.

If it goes tits up next season. Clement is sacked and McInnes is appointed - Celtic will be on 6 in a row or 60 titles when we bin him.
Because he's improved every team he's been at and had them kicking above their weight. Does that at us, we are champions.

My understanding was that Rangers spoke to Aberdeen to seek permission to speak to him and Stewart Milne refused Rangers permission after speaking to him, we never spoke to him yet. whether he refused to speak to Rangers through lack of interest I don’t know.
I think he is the best of the Scottish managers in our league, but can not sure he should be anywhere near the Rangers job or anywhere in the future. I would rate him higher and more capable though than Beale and Pedro.

Again you dont really know that you just decide these are facts, we still did not win old firms(lots of cheating ofcourse) and came 2nd. Not so sure its outrageous to say DM would be able to do that. I could maybe accept getting through the group in europe and ofcourse any manager was in a tough position and needs/deserves plenty of time to put his own team on the pitch.

Of course I don't know and I'm not presenting that as a fact at all - it's clearly an opinion, just as much as you have an opinion that he'd have been able to have done an comparable or better job than Clement. The two positive points of the season so far have been winning the League Cup and qualifying for the L16 of Europe in testing circumstances. McInnes won one trophy in eight years at Aberdeen and has limited experience managing in Europe, never mind achieving any form of success, so there's evidence there that he might not have achieved success where Clement did.

He's done well at Killie because I think he's probably better managing teams at that level. I think it was very interesting that Rodgers talked about him for the Rangers job at the start of the season.

Ultimately, he shat taking the Rangers job. Probably tells you everything.

Dont get me wrong it is absolutely fascinating listening to people telling us exactly where our own youth players are going to end up (none are ever going to be good enough ofcourse)why the manager must always always be foreign with experience in better leagues and how crucial it is to steer clear of buying players like Shankland. Even though he wins poty ahead of the old firm players on big contracts... but yeah hes crap cos no clubs in England signed him.

Not sure how much of this is directed at me but I'm not sure King is good enough and I'd be looking to sell him in the summer. Jury is probably still out on Lowry. The issue with our managerial appointments isn't where they come from, it's a lack of experience. I'd have signed Shankland.

Here one for you and the rest of the gang that can look into the future What was your view on Steven Gerrard before he arrived ? cos he had no experience at all in any management never mind our league.

Mixed. I felt Celtic were there for taking under Lennon but we appointed a guy who had to learn on the job. We paid the price in the short term but I'm not sure Gerrard was the unconditional success some people think he is.

Because he's improved every team he's been at and had them kicking above their weight. Does that at us, we are champions.
Bristol city from bottom to 3rd bottom including a club record 7 straight defeats

Aberdeen 1 major trophy win while Rangers , hearts and hibs didn’t feature in the top league at various points

8 wins from 53 against Celtic

The clamour from supporters to get in a long serving unexceptionable manager is bizarre

IF it goes tits up with Clement i think that's who the board will turn to.
He's no longer with his rabid assistant so will be more appealing to some than he was before.
When he was out of work he was doing a lot of punditry and he actually spoke a lot of sense, one of the better pundits, but it is a low bar up here.

do you not get the feeling these awards are shaped in a way to make Shankland & McInnes more attractive to Rangers ?? ....... don't doubt both's respective's great seasons so well done for that
The Shankland one was voted on by the players so I think he has earned that one, its unusual for a non old firm player to be judged by fellow players as the best in the league.

For the manager one I think its the media who decide, neither old firm team have played well this year in large sections of the season so McInnes is the obvious choice from the rest as he has outperformed Hibs and Aberdeen on a much smaller budget.

Hold on. What? Talk us through this please :))

Bristol city from bottom to 3rd bottom including a club record 7 straight defeats

Aberdeen 1 major trophy win while Rangers , hearts and hibs didn’t feature in the top league at various points

8 wins from 53 against Celtic

The clamour from supporters to get in a long serving unexceptionable manager is bizarre
Didn't he have Aberdeen ahead of us twice in the SPL?

Much more qualified than Gerrard, Beale for example.

Back