Derek Parlane 1970-80

Met him in Club Europe when enjoying hospitality. Asked if it was ok if I shook his hand. Of course said the great man. Then looked disappointed as I walked away without really talking to him. I was stuck for the right words meeting a hero. Sorry Derek. I'm 57 by the way:(

I must've seen him play in 79/80 but i was too young for it to stick in the head. I'm surprised he was only 26 when he left.
Remember him more as a Leeds player thanks to panini. Anyone know if he made much of an impression there?

I have just remembered another popular ditty from that time

His name is Derek Parlane, he's the leader of the team
The greatest centre forward that the worls has ever seen
He's always there or thereabouts to score the vital goal
And as for Jimmy Johnstone you can stick him up your hole

Parlane,Parlane, Parlane, Parlane, Born is the king of Ibrox park!:D .We could do with a Parlane today.

W.A.T.P.

Brilliant article.

Derek Parlane will always have a special place in my memory as he was the first Rangers player I ever saw score against Celtic in the flesh rather than on telly.

Some amazing stats in the article, would never have guessed when the last game was against celtic when all players were Scots. I'd certainly have imagined it more recently than 1975.

Happy 70th Birthday
PNcLlSL.png

One of my favourite ever players.
I know he felt marginalised at Ibrox by 79-80. Greig had played Billy Urquhart rather than him in some key games.
Billy McNeil obviously didnt enjoy playing against him , as he signed him for Man CIty. A kind of interesting compliment..
Loads of glorious goals - Bayern 72, Scot Cup final 73, 5 goals demolition of Dunfermline.
Never stopped trying and not afraid to go in where it hurts.
Big Derek was regularly pictured beside some lovely girls in the Rangers News etc
To be a Rangers player with all that going on just seemed like a dream to me!

He was our own baby face assassin. Great player. Didn’t look it, but tough as nails and brave.

The 10 Players who made the most appearances alongside Derek Parlane

.............................P.McCloy
S.Jardine T.Forsyth C.Jackson A.Miller
T.McLean J.Greig A.MacDonald Q.Young
...............D.Johnstone D.Parlane

Met him in seville, a absolute gentleman compared to a certain Mr jelavic who was ignorant and rude.he actually pointed me out as we both follow each other on Instagram.. spent a good 15 mins chatting and you see the tears in his eyes when we were discussing if we could win the trophy..
A very healthy looking 70 yr old

Met him in seville, a absolute gentleman compared to a certain Mr jelavic who was ignorant and rude.he actually pointed me out as we both follow each other on Instagram.. spent a good 15 mins chatting and you see the tears in his eyes when we were discussing if we could win the trophy..
A very healthy looking 70 yr old
Absolute great player a few of todays squad could learn a lot from the king of Ibrox happy birthday Derek and thanks for the great memories

Derek Parlane signed for Rangers from Queens Park on April fools day 1970 and made his first team debut as a 17 year old, on New Years Day 1971, at Brockville in a 1-3 League defeat.
This game was easily forgotten with the awful events that unfolded at Ibrox only twenty four hours later.
Is this correct? Did we play a game the day before the disaster game? Can't be surely?

The 78-79 season with John Greig installed as Manager, following Jock Wallace's sudden departure, saw Rangers win both domestic Cups, go on a tremendous run in Europe, knocking out tournament favourites Juventus, and the Dutch Champions, PSV Eindhoven, that still to this day, almost Forty years later, rank up there as two of our greatest ever results in Europe.
Despite a horrendous start in the League campaign, with only 1 win in the first 9 games, Rangers recovered tremendously, and it was only a cruel, self inflicted defeat at Parkhead in May, that denied Greig a Treble in his impressive first season as manager.
Parlane reestablished himself in the side that season, collecting winners medals in both Cups, and making 43 appearances in total, with 37 starts and 6 appearances off the bench.
Although by now it seemed the goals had dried up, Parlane still continued to score against Celtic, as he had done in each of the previous six seasons, with a goal in the League match at Parkhead in September.
This meant that Derek Parlane had now scored against Celtic in all seven seasons from 1972-73 through 1978-79.

The 79-80 season was to be his last at Ibrox.
He was restricted to only 7 appearances that season (4 starts, 3 subs).
Not in the official records, but he also started as centre forward in that 3-1 Drybrough Cup Final win over Celtic, famous for that Super Cooper goal, and the none too shabby one from Sandy Jardine.
Parlane's last appearance for Rangers was on Jan 12th 1980 when he was given a rare start in a 2-3 defeat at Pittodrie,
On March 6th 1980, less than two weeks after Rangers had smashed the Scottish transfer record fee by signing Ian Redford from Dundee for £210,000,
Derek Parlane at the age of 26, was transferred to Leeds United for £160,000.

Derek Parlane had appeared in every season in the Seventies from 1970-71 through 1979-80
Scoring 111 Goals in 300 Games. (251 starts, 49 subs)
He won 3 League Championships, 2 Scottish Cups, and 3 League Cup winners medals.

After leaving Rangers, Parlane had spells at 10 different clubs across the globe,including Leeds Utd, Bulova (Hong Kong), Manchester City, South China, Swansea City, North Shore United (New Zealand), Racing Jet Brussels (Belgium), Rochdale, Airdrie and Macclesfield Town,
but I doubt if any of those supporters could have worshiped him they way we did at Ibrox.

Even to this day, some forty something years later, whenever the festive season is thrust upon us, and I hear those first few notes of Noel Noel, I still cannot resist the temptation to sing along with those oh so famous words of
Parlane, Parlane, Parlane Parlane, Born is the King of Ibrox Park.
Brilliant read to this day Derek Parlane is still my favourite ever Rangers player

Great player true blue magnificent in the semi v Bayern think he was 18 one of my favourite Ranger of them all

Super article about one of my favourites.
Still very much a supporter going by his social media.

I actually remember that for DJ.

he was with us for half a season, 4 goals in 9 games and his dad also played for us in the l;ate 40s
440495786_7857898547574854_2122571878239156209_n.jpg
He actually scored 5 I believe, and all in the same month.
4 League goals in 3 games in a 2 week period.
Jan 2nd scored 1 in a 1-4 defeat to Hamilton
Jan 9th scored 2 in a 3-3 draw v Kilmarnock
Jan 16th scored 1 in a 2-2 draw v Raith Rovers

He also scored the second goal in a 2-1 Scottish Cup win against East Fife (a) on January 30th

I was gutted when my first boyhood hero, Colin Stein, left the club.

Little was I to know that my next hero was already waiting in the wings.

Parlane, Parlane, Parlane, Parlane, Born is the King of Ibrox Park

Wish I had a pound for every time I'd sung that on the Copland Road terracing :)
I loved Steiny too but he scored very few against the Tim's over his two spells at Ibrox.

I remember this little ditty

Jock Wallace wanted to sign Gordon McQueen in exchange for Derek and £200,000 around 1978.
That would have been some signing at that time.
After nearly six years at Leeds, McQueen moved in February 1978 for a British transfer record of £500,000 to Man Utd.

McQeen was originally signed by Rangers in Jan 1970, though I believe he only played one reserve match, before being moved on to St Mirren.

That would have been some signing at that time.
After nearly six years at Leeds, McQueen moved in February 1978 for a British transfer record of £500,000 to Man Utd.

McQeen was originally signed by Rangers in Jan 1970, though I believe he only played one reserve match, before being moved on to St Mirren.
We also released Kenny Burns around the same time and he went on to win two European Cups and enjoy a stellar career as of course so did big Gordon.

Back