Do the board need to dig deep again to fund the rebuild

No, with decent EL runs behind us and good player trading we shouldn't have to be rely on millions from investors.

Celtic will automatically spend a lot more mainly due to automatic CL, better trading model and bigger stadium.

We simply have to be smarter with every single decision we make, even the smaller ones. Did we really need to offer McLaughlin an extra year at 250k p/a?

Lawrence will be moved on in the summer, without being specific, the manager said he won’t allow players to run deals down

i mean its easy to say these things, but if no one comes in to buy them whats the option? you cant force them to leave sadly and some of them would rather sit doing eff all getting 15-30k a week not getting a match than try to prove themselves somewhere else for a lower fee

I would disagree on the not looking back.
If we didn't then I doubt Van Bronckhorst would've got the job for instance.
The fans themselves constantly clamour to bring back ex players.

Stadium expansion only works if we are successful and we aren't. Tomorrow will show that when there's nothing to be won a huge chunk have no appetite to be at Ibrox.
I was meaning being forward thinking in a general sense not on a single issue,

We need to look forward, if the rumour of Butland going and the transfer fee involved being accurate we should be able to do both significant recruitment and stadium expansion simultaneously

Was thinking earlier we basically spent £15m on Dessers this season. Danilo has been out essentially all season, Lammers and Cifu barely featured then got punted on loan. The only player we paid good money for who has actually contributed was Dessers. I’m sure we will spend the same amount again but it needs to be on the right players.

It’s not the cash per se, but how it’s spent.

What are we doing re scouting? What are our profiles?

Yet again we’ve brought in some blokes from Belgium to deal with it. We’ve learned nothing from handing the reins to managers who could well be gone in six months.

Rightly or wrongly the board always back the manager as much as possible
This time they’ll need to be firmer and look at any offers that we get for players instead of hanging on to them
There should be circa 15 million to spend plus something from player sales

Spending 15m on Ed House has been an almighty blunder it won’t make the club money back for years if ever.

The board have gotten a lot right but have made some horrible mistakes with our money.

FFP is actually why the stadium expansion is so important and needs to be prioritised. In a league were gate receipts still account for a very significant percentage of overall income, our 9,000-odd less seats than Parkhead places us at a significant ongoing disadvantage.

We need to be careful not to let the understandable short-term wish to spend money on better players delay a long-term decision that needs to be made for the benefit of future generations of fans and players.

FFP is actually why the stadium expansion is so important and needs to be prioritised. In a league were gate receipts still account for a very significant percentage of overall income, our 9,000-odd less seats than Parkhead places us at a significant ongoing disadvantage.

We need to be careful not to let the understandable short-term wish to spend money on better players delay a long-term decision that needs to be made for the benefit of future generations of fans and players.
I agree we need stadium expansion
But right now every penny should go to the manager to sign his own players

Or is it a case of wheeling and dealing with free transfers and player sales
This is the most probable scenario, who knows how much we'd have to spend and I'd guess it won't be millions + unless the board can conjure up some funds,going by how that's been the worse ceelic team I've seen for a long time you can bet good money they'll be spending.So it's imperative we buy correctly...

The size of the Rangers support both the season ticket holders and the armchair viewers that buy merchandise etc is such that we should have a team with players of a far higher standard than it currently has. It’s paramount that they fix the situation that they have created through mismanagement.

Last edited:
I hope at least 90% of our business, in and out, is done very early and PC has as much of a pre season he can get to get the team in a condition to sustain a challenge on the league and to get us to the group stages of the CL. (only good for the money, prefer EL for chances of progressing)

How delusional are we ? A sugar daddy cannot come in and bank roll a team anymore, Financial fair play rules have stopped it.

We need to look at ways to expand our revenue, so that more can be spent on the squad. So player sales, bigger stadium , Museum etc all contribute. Granted the biggest income is the one we are struggling to reach in CL money but we cannot get a new investor in and spend 40- 50 million anymore.

Look at Newcastle, richest team in the world but have to live modestly until their income can match their aspirations.

I want to know where people think this magic money tree is?

We are now self sustaining, and missing out on guaranteed CL cash was a massive blow.

If we want to spend reasonably big then it will have to be funded via player sales, quite possibly Butland.

We have also already committed to spending around £4.5mill on Diomande which is a fair chunk of the cash gone already.

They need to spend the resources available to them better.

Younger, fitter players who fit the direct and attacking style of play the manager said he wants to implement. And have a potential resale value.

We need to invest sensibly in areas of the squad that are weakest first. As much as we'd like to get rid of 99% of them this will take more than 1 window to fix.
This.

The problem in recent years hasn’t been the lack of a major cash injection; given the recruitment since 2020, does anyone think it would have been spent wisely? Another £4.5m on a player like Dessers? £3m on a Lammers? Scott Wright still being the only fit option off the bench because we had more players in the treatment room or not physical enough for games of intensity?

Koppen and Clement will have to wheel and deal, that’s the nature of playing in Scotland. We cannot afford as many failures as we have had.

Or is it a case of wheeling and dealing with free transfers and player sales
Realistically we could sell:

Dessers - good record this season and should be able to get our money back.
Lammers - Doing well in the Netherlands and should get our money back.
Butland - Should command a good fee back down south.
Tav - Potential Saudi move.
Goldson - see Tav.

Add to that a number of high earners out of contract I think we could see a completely different Rangers team next year. We should have a decent budget to spend in the summer.

Any talk of stadium expansions, safe standing etc should be shelved until we can actually afford a successful football team again.

We need to prioritise winning trophies over such things, especially when you look at tomorrow and how empty it’ll likely be.

The museum for instance (although funded primarily by going cap in hand to others) is nothing more than a vanity protect right now at a time when fans are paying through the nose time and again to be let down by those running the club.
This is short-sighted to be honest. Yes, the priority should always be the team on the park, but if NEH and the museum generate £4m of revenue and even zero profit, then it still increases the ‘squad costs’ allowable under the financial sustainability rules by £3m - provided that cash is available.

We need to increase the revenue, we need to generate more cash. But the main thing we need to do is spend the income we have more wisely.

Why would anyone pay £21 million for Butland when they could have got him for Nowt last summer?
Circumstances change

Clubs that didn't need a keeper maybe do now

Dont rule it out - the poster that told us he was coming last summer has started a thread saying he's going for 21.m to a club that still have meaningful games to play

'But FFP' is a line trotted out by the board to deflect when the fans turn on them from spending millions of the club's money on utter shite. We have a fine enough budget but our footballing structure is still an utter shambles - that's their fault. We are right to be looking to them to assist more when they have overseen such a chronic wasting of the club's finite income. That is their excuse.

How deep can we actually dig,Was hoping Clement could bring in 3 or 4 improve and make better use of our fringe players,
Let’s be honest it’s all about overtaking the Peados and they have a few quid to spare with Rodgers not spending much if anything so far.

I’d be spending money on the recruitment department. We need the right people with the right technology to find the perfect players before similar sized clubs do. We should then start selling to the EPL where possible. That’s where players want to go and we could be a conduit.

Butland is a great example of that, albeit he is at the other end of his career. If there’s a good offer, he should be sold. Make a good profit and show that strategic intent.

Getting investors to pump money into players who haven’t been scouted properly is a recipe for disaster. Beale buying players he knew was largely that.

Agree mate
They will spend big in the summer sadly
They will have the cash to spend big big players who cost big money demand big wages and imbalance they wage structure. Also, if your a players worth £10 million you want to go to the premier league not Scotland. Getting quality players to come to Scotland is difficult. Its ok playing at Ibrox or the piggery every second week but places like Ross County, Livi, Dundee etc does not inspire quality players

I was meaning being forward thinking in a general sense not on a single issue,

We need to look forward, if the rumour of Butland going and the transfer fee involved being accurate we should be able to do both significant recruitment and stadium expansion simultaneously
I don't see £21m being accurate. However should it be I'm not sure what that allows for in terms of expansion and rebuilding as lets fact it in footballing terms £21m is a drop in the ocean when you see transfer fees never mind look at the costs of construction these days

They will have the cash to spend big big players who cost big money demand big wages and imbalance they wage structure. Also, if your a players worth £10 million you want to go to the premier league not Scotland. Getting quality players to come to Scotland is difficult. Its ok playing at Ibrox or the piggery every second week but places like Ross County, Livi, Dundee etc does not inspire quality players
Tbh mate
It hasn’t stopped us or Them in the past
recruiting big name players

Part of management is improving the players you have.

Gerrard got a lot more out of Halliday, Morelos, Tav etc.

Clement for me has struggled with this. Lundstram had a patch, but that was it, really. Yes, we need to bring in more quality, but we will not be signing 12 players etc so he’s still going to have to get a lot more out of them.

In fact, the only consistent improvement in a player since Clement’s arrival has been Dessers.

I don't see £21m being accurate. However should it be I'm not sure what that allows for in terms of expansion and rebuilding as lets fact it in footballing terms £21m is a drop in the ocean when you see transfer fees never mind look at the costs of construction these days
The recruitment and any potential stadium expansion will funded separately from one another

We have Diomande already funded. Cortes loan extended going by the rumours.

I think we need to agree a fee to buy Sima and spend the rest of our budget on a midfielder in the style and standard of Barry Ferguson then build the midfield around that player along with Diomande & Sterling.

We also need to either find a solid defender on loan and buy another.

Can't afford a striker if we are going to be serious about spending on key players. Just need to go with Dessers and Danilo for next season.

I fear we will need to sell Butland to fund this and give McCrorie the #1 jersey for a season and see if he steps up.

Our midfield is horrific and needs addressed or we can forget any success next season.

100% this. It is reasonable to suppose that the FFP model (or some form of it) is here to stay. While I don’t agree with how it operates at the moment, we simply have to be self sustaining and never beholden to the whims of one backer and/or one bad European result sending us into free fall

So that means maximising our incomings, and ideally to try and do that as early as possible (ie quicker you make your money back)

The focus on sponsorships, stadium expansion, museum, EH is all about those sorts of noticeable long term benefits to the incoming column on the balance sheet

Some money is completely stagnant (TV, prize money) and some we have got used to budgetting with (Europa league groups at least).

The fact we were at pains to underline the importance of the trading model when Koppen came in makes me think we will be minded to (I) to sell off the assets we do have while their stock is high (Butland, Yilmaz) and (ii) invest a bit more this summer to change the potential value of the squad. I imagine recruitment team will have an eye on targets we would expect to have in for short, medium and long term and it’s about finding that balance

The ideal scenario is that, this time next year, we are sitting with 56 and ready to sell on 2/3 performing players to bankroll the next stage of investment/development/trading (which we completely failed to do after 55 and barely did with the Bassey money).

Clement for me has struggled with this. Lundstram had a patch, but that was it, really. Yes, we need to bring in more quality, but we will not be signing 12 players etc so he’s still going to have to get a lot more out of them.

In fact, the only consistent improvement in a player since Clement’s arrival has been Dessers.
Garbage. Sterling, Ridvan and Sima have all flourished under Clement. He took Sterling from a bench warmer to arguably our most important player and Sima was on track for POTY before his injury.

Where there is something to work with he has made improvements, other than that it's been squeezing whatever he can from guys like Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo etc for a game here and there.

You tend to fall over yourself to defend these players and always pin it on the manager, whoever that may be.

Lundstram improved dramatically and was one of our main men let's not rewrite this. He has regressed with playing every minute of every game due to the long list of injuries and looked to be running on empty. No coincidence that he also openly wanted to stay and the manager wanted to keep him but as talks broke down and he opened talks with Trabzonspor his priorities have shifted. It's human nature, he's moving on and can't afford to take a bad injury.

Dessers also improved, as did Sima who the jury was still out on, Sterling and Ridvan who again were nothing players. Tav initially looked rejuvenated. The truth is that the manager has been dealt a tough hand and injuries and circumstances have led to this hand being further weakened. He's not a daft man and knows that he needs to change a lot into he summer.

What I’ve never understood, if we have got 4/5 rich investors who have bought shares and want to see the club advance why can’t they put in say £5M each allowing the manager to get the squad he wants

We can’t force them to invest their money.

Given 2012 we can’t take risks we can’t afford.

There is no one fresh I’m aware waiting to put their money in.

Wheel and deal.

Quality not quantity. How much wages do we waste on a weekly basis?

Garbage. Sterling, Ridvan and Sima have all flourished under Clement. He took Sterling from a bench warmer to arguably our most important player and Sima was on track for POTY before his injury.

Where there is something to work with he has made improvements, other than that it's been squeezing whatever he can from guys like Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo etc for a game here and there.

You tend to fall over yourself to defend these players and always pin it on the manager, whoever that may be.

Disagree.

We can see promise in those 3 but again, Ridvan injured for most of his time here; Dujon huge injury/illness issues at Chelsea and now injured again for us; and Sima missed most of his Stoke loan with injury and now missed what, 4 months of our season?

You can’t excuse the players but we also can’t praise the manager for what *he* does to transform their fortunes when he comes in, then spin all the criticism onto the players when it goes tits up.

No reasonable human can look at our system on Saturday and tell me it was a well drilled side.

I doubt there is anyone on the board who would be willing to throw money at this.

Unfortunately the days of Douglas Park putting his hand in his pocket are over. As Andy McGowan said at the time of the protests be careful what you wish for.

No Financial fair play is the thing.

The board have more than held up their side of the bargain. They gave huge surplus funds to Gio/wilson and Beale and both utterly fucked it. Thats all they can do.

Recognising the failures of Wilson, we now have a new scout head and operating focus. Recruitment has been utterly shameful and arrogant at times.

To miss out on local obvious talent and over spend on utter horseshit from abroad is quite a combinations.

They don’t have it. Look at the state of the accounts.
People say this every summer but our spending stays pretty much consistent year on year. At the end of the day this is Rangers, we find the money somewhere if it's needed.

And right now, it is most certainly needed.

We need a major financial investor, until then we will struggle buying free agents and cheap replacements.
Sad but true.
We really do.

Someone capable of providing the necessary, not for profit but with Ranges best interests at heart. Dare I say it, a five year plan which leaves the club financially stable and self sufficient once again.

Our hope is that Celtic get complacent again thinking they are miles ahead and dont spend otherwise they can blow us out the water and we will have a long way back. We need proper investment, we need to clear the decks and we need to stop being loyal to players we have ran into the ground and are quite frankly not good enough. We finally need to look at using "this model" of selling players to make money. Tav finished should go, Goldson finished should go, hopefully Lundstram and Barisic are going, Jack finished and should go, Roofe finished and should go.

Predominantly our squad is full of the same players that failed for us under Van Bronckhorst.

It wouldnt surprise me if Clement then looks to play Lundstram in cup final the way he defended him post match and i believe he is another manager with a blind spot.

And it wouldnt surprise me if we end up selling Butland or Sterling to try and get money in.

The cup final is enormous for Clement. I dont want him sacked or anything but if he goes again with same tactics and same midfield we will lose again. I said it under Gio, yes the Seville run was amazing with incredible memories but you will not and can not remain Rangers manager if you cant get a tune out this squad domestically and compete and beat Celtic

Back