Do we grossly overhype & over-value our players based upon very little?

....and no, I'm not blaming us for the downturn in form, but there has been several threads bumped over the last 5 days that clearly indicate as fans that both the superlatives & valuations we place on our players are miles and miles off it.

- Pre season, there was a litany of fan media accounts and fans here & on X telling us to "enjoy Nico Raskin while he is here" because seemingly his comment about wanting to play for Chelsea was going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Look at him now? You'd bite the hand off for just shy of what we paid for him

- Fabio Silva was "Gabriel Amato with pace"

- Renewing John Lundstram's contract was a "no-brainer" based on a couple of months of looking close to worth the £30k a week he's stolen from us for years.

- Jack Butland, came here on reduced wages and likely a pre agreed fee should he want to move back home, but as usual, it's "£20m n no a penny less111!" - he has literally sacrificed millions of pounds to come here, the notion we would get that feeling for a guy who we got for free under those circumstances, given he could easily want back down south at some point for personal reasons, was nuts.

Again, the reason I'm saying this is not to blame us at all for the team's form, but can we finally agree that delivering league titles and performing well for an entire season at the very least should be realised before we start deluding ourselves & setting ourselves up for disappointment?

I get why it happens, we've been desperate for heroes for years and any time it looks like one steps forward, we get excited.

Personally speaking, I think we need to stop creating career paths for players where we prophesies over transfer fees and which club will pick up our players when they've only been playing well for a couple of months.

Since 2018, our valuations as fans on everyone bar Bassey and maybe Patterson have been wild.

Tin Hat on - I just think this kind of thing can go to the head of the modern footballer.
I don’t mind the pathway to the EPL carrot to dangle as long as you give us 2 or 3 good seasons, we seem to allow players 2 seasons to settle and then have 6 months decent to good form and they are world beaters.

I don’t get the Sima hype, started with us and people were literally laughing, has a good couple of months and a few goals and people want to pay £6-7m. I’d rather we invested in a Cortez, he looked a real talent.

Yes we do. What we need to do is cash in when a player is going through a purple patch and attracting interest before their form inevitably dips. See Morelos, Kent, Kamara et al.

....and no, I'm not blaming us for the downturn in form, but there has been several threads bumped over the last 5 days that clearly indicate as fans that both the superlatives & valuations we place on our players are miles and miles off it.

- Pre season, there was a litany of fan media accounts and fans here & on X telling us to "enjoy Nico Raskin while he is here" because seemingly his comment about wanting to play for Chelsea was going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Look at him now? You'd bite the hand off for just shy of what we paid for him

- Renewing John Lundstram's contract was a "no-brainer" based on a couple of months of looking close to worth the £30k a week he's stolen from us for years.

- Jack Butland, came here on reduced wages and likely a pre agreed fee should he want to move back home, but as usual, it's "£20m n no a penny less111!" - he has literally sacrificed millions of pounds to come here, the notion we would get that feeling for a guy who we got for free under those circumstances, given he could easily want back down south at some point for personal reasons, was nuts.

Again, the reason I'm saying this is not to blame us at all for the team's form, but can we finally agree that delivering league titles and performing well for an entire season at the very least should be realised before we start deluding ourselves & setting ourselves up for disappointment?

I get why it happens, we've been desperate for heroes for years and any time it looks like one steps forward, we get excited.

Personally speaking, I think we need to stop creating career paths for players where we prophesies over transfer fees and which club will pick up our players when they've only been playing well for a couple of months.

Since 2018, our valuations as fans on everyone bar Bassey and maybe Patterson have been wild.

Tin Hat on - I just think this kind of thing can go to the head of the modern footballer.
Our support swings more than Tommy Sheridan. Our players and manager go from gods, to the scum of the earth and back again on a game by game basis. Seems to be a complete inability to assess performance over a period of time and accept there will be good days and bad. And if the good days don't heavily outweigh the bad, then yeah, the guy isn't good enough. But don't worship one week, then slaughter the next. It's bizarre.

We as fans always do this, I have seen truly great Rangers players in my time from slim Jim to Laudrup and I will always support my team ,but some of the current crop make my eyes bleed ,I think its the hope that hurts most ,we big up average players above their abilities and are disappointed when we realise that premiership squad players and others we have to look up on you tube are just not good enough .

Who cares?

You are basically complaining that football supporters get excited and optimistic about their team. That's most supporters at most clubs to be honest.

As long as the manager isn't listening to the support for advice on how the team should be managed then the supporters are free to be as hyperbolic as they want. It really doesn't matter.

Threads like this have me questioning why some people even bother with football at all.

Would you celebrate going 1-0 up in a big match or would you sit there afraid to celebrate because the opposition could come back and equalise before full time?

Nothing wrong with fans getting hyped up for new signings and players hitting form.

There appears to be a section of posters on FF that feel like anyone who was excited about Lammers and Dessers now owes them a personal apology.

Seems you can either be a member of the Happy Clapper Loyal or the Told You So Loyal on here.

Personally I had serious doubts that this team would be able to get it over the line but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who genuinely thought we were going to win it.

If you can't find escapism, joy, hope and optimism in supporting your football team then why even bother?

There's a pattern with new signings.

Phase 1:
We sign a guy who's record looks awful. Anyone querying the signing is shut down as being negative.

Phase 2:
People bizarrely get excited about mediocre performances, or go crazy for decent performances. I remember watching Cifuentes first few games and thinking he was awful but I heard a lot of "he's very tidy on the ball, he'll be great once he settles" type comments. Silva's first few games we had "he's on a different level to the others" and "fantastic footballer", etc.

Phase 3:
After a period of about two months, the new signing halo disappears and everyone starts slagging them and saying they are a waste of space.

For more established players, opinions shoot up and down depending on how the last 2-3 games have gone. For example, at points this season Lundstram has had a lot of praise and people were very worried he hadn't signed a new contract but after the last two games he's the worst player in the world. Matondo is generally regarded as awful, but after a couple of good goals there's a push to get him in the first 11.

Players out injured or on loan become world-beaters (see Hagi, Lammers, even Lowry).

In short, many football fans opinions are totally fickle. If we somehow managed to win at their ground and win the league, this group of players would be hailed as heroes and this period would be forgotten.
Hafiz apart from a handful of moments has been absolutely shocking

New recruitment guy and a manager who's built teams and worked with players who've won league titles so (hopefully) knows what they look like. That's about it.
The financial strictures will hamper them.

Fabio Silva, assuming he wasn't foisted on them entirely due to lack of funds, suggests to me that the road ahead could well be far rockier than some would like to think.

I'll gladly be proved wrong though.

We win 90% of the games we play. It’s easy to get carried away when a winger gets the better of Chris Cadden

100% YES.

Just after we gubbed the Tramps in last season's dead rubber, there were people on here valuing Cantwell at £25m, and Raskin at £30m !

Just after the window closed, there were also people describing Beale's trannsfer omnishambles, as 'the greatest trannsfer window in our entire history'.

Last edited:
Yes.

Every season this forum is full of people claiming new signings are clear upgrades on what was there before.

When it is now clearly evident that almost every new signing since the summer before 55 has in fact been a downgrade on what was there before.

Nobody seems to wait to reserve judgment or learn from their past mistakes. Players have greatness bestowed on them on the basis of a YouTube clip.

Its the nature of the Rangers support.

Nobody will convince fans that the gap between Rangers and Celtic is anything but really narrow. The reality is that the're better than us in almost every area of the park except for in goals. People talking on here about the fees we could get by selling some of our players. They're fantasy stuff. There needs to be a dose of smelling salts applied to bring the fans to our collective senses.

Thought this about the goalie all season , steady and usually does the basics well , never makes a breathtaking save that looked a certain goal , everybody thinks he’s brilliant , all down to opinions though
That's a load of rubbish.
He's made some top saves,. most recently against Celtic, from the header in the first half.

There's a pattern with new signings.

Phase 1:
We sign a guy who's record looks awful. Anyone querying the signing is shut down as being negative.

Phase 2:
People bizarrely get excited about mediocre performances, or go crazy for decent performances. I remember watching Cifuentes first few games and thinking he was awful but I heard a lot of "he's very tidy on the ball, he'll be great once he settles" type comments. Silva's first few games we had "he's on a different level to the others" and "fantastic footballer", etc.

Phase 3:
After a period of about two months, the new signing halo disappears and everyone starts slagging them and saying they are a waste of space.

For more established players, opinions shoot up and down depending on how the last 2-3 games have gone. For example, at points this season Lundstram has had a lot of praise and people were very worried he hadn't signed a new contract but after the last two games he's the worst player in the world. Matondo is generally regarded as awful, but after a couple of good goals there's a push to get him in the first 11.

Players out injured or on loan become world-beaters (see Hagi, Lammers, even Lowry).

In short, many football fans opinions are totally fickle. If we somehow managed to win at their ground and win the league, this group of players would be hailed as heroes and this period would be forgotten.
Good post, agree on everything except the last paragraph - winning at their ground (no laughing at the back) would make them heroes only if we won the league.

Some people would maybe even accuse fitba fans as been fickle? Haha

Currently no, I've felt fully aware of this squads limitations for too long.

However, can't help but feel we massively underachieved under Steven Gerrard, we should've won leagues and cups maybe not the first season but absolutely in his second season. We were blowing teams away before the winter break, had a good showing in a tough Europa group then finished the year with an away win at Parkhead.

Everyone was at such a good age. Borna and Tav had legs, Goldson and Helander together were our best centre back pairing in a long time. Kamara and Jack knew their roles exceptionally well covering the full backs going forward. And attackers like Morelos, Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Stewart, Defoe (latterly) all well capable of producing numbers.

Inexplicably we won nothing that season. The following seasons we reached the pinnacle and won 55 but still failed in the two cup competitions.

That was the summer we really needed a massive refresh. Especially following the Malmo defeat I really thought we'd sell an asset like Aribo, Kent, Borna for example to fund a mini refresh.

Alas, we held on to the bulk of this squad who more often than not can't get the job done and watch them age and regress even further.

We do but we write them off pretty quickly too.

What is it you expect fans to talk about on a forum dedicated to their football club though?

The transfer market can be irrational too, but it doesn't pay attention to what gets said on here, and neither do the players.

If they did, Tav would have retired from football years ago. :)

Thought this about the goalie all season , steady and usually does the basics well , never makes a breathtaking save that looked a certain goal , everybody thinks he’s brilliant , all down to opinions though
I agree, I think he is decent but nowhere near as good as made out.

The Lammers highlights reel that mainly consisted of reserve matches and goals from 4 years earlier was a classic example.

Guys getting super excited by something that actually confirmed he was a diddy.

Right this moment there are people getting excited about Cortes.

A guy who hasn't completed a game for us, but has picked up a very serious injury.

Yes.

Every season this forum is full of people claiming new signings are clear upgrades on what was there before.

When it is now clearly evident that almost every new signing since the summer before 55 has in fact been a downgrade on what was there before.

Nobody seems to wait to reserve judgment or learn from their past mistakes. Players have greatness bestowed on them on the basis of a YouTube clip.
Plenty in the transfer thread questioned Beale's signings last summer based on the numbers they had produced but were shouted down as being negative. Was also the same in January window, not many thought it was a great window given the position we were in.

Overhype ! The latest being Sterling,need to reign it in a bit.

Last edited:
Undervalue! the midfielder who has been our most consistent outfield player this season apart from the last 5 games, coincidence since then our displays have been woeful?

Last edited:
Back