Do we have a fitness issue?

THEGOVANFRONT

Was our pre season not sufficient to see us through an entire season
Or
Are we not preparing for games properly (training leading up to match and or warm up before kick off) in regards to how we seem so off the pace at the start of games????

We have had muscular injuries to players all season and the manager is having to carefully manage minutes. He has said numerous times he has never had this before in his managerial career. Think it’s safe to say the conditioning in the summer was well off preparing the players to cope with the demands of a long hard season

I’d suspect we won’t see it do so bad next season as Clement will prepare properly and get shot of those who cannot come physically

Yes we do.
You look at the way the scum empty themselves especially the wee POW commandant and our players are struggling to jog.
A decent pre season and we will be so much better

A team lacking in fitness is as much a sign of problems with individual commitment and attitude as it is coaching, culture and player management.

No excuse for not been conditioned like a professional athlete when you are being paid £20-30k a week to be one.

Yes, it’s been evident for months now. Our fitness was a large part of getting us to the Europa League final - it’s declined massively since then. Hopefully this new sports science guy who Phil brought in January is the real deal and we can get a good pre season this time.

No, its an easy excuse for an underperforming team that doesn't want to put in the effort. Exact same was said last season blaming Gio for a poor pre season and this year its Beale.

One guy played at the very elite and the other has been coaching all his professional life, they both can't know how to get a team through pre season. The common factor is the players.

It might have more to do with the number of injuries meaning that those who are available are overloaded and, especially at the back end of the season, fatigue becomes an issue.

Yes, we do. Clement said we do but we can't fully fix it until pre-season. It's frustrating when it's another factor we are in control of that is lacking.

Obviously injuries will happen but there is no reason why our players should have a base level of fitness that is lower than any other team in the league.

We do and we don't every manager is different in fitness standards.

Biggest thing for me is not so much the fitness is the ability to be able to rotate which we have not been able to.

Meaning players are struggling fitness wise

How long does it take for a professional footballer to be fully fit ?

Every season, every change of manager it’s the same, “our fitness was terrible we need to work on it”

To me any manager coming out with these lines it’s purely sound bites to deflect.

This season we are constantly managing player minutes for whatever that means, wrapping them in cotton wool till you need to use them as a last throw of the dice, ie bringing Roofe at Ross County ?

For years every injury we get seems misdiagnosed or we err to much on the side of caution.

McGregor for them, out with a facial fracture, mask on back in weeks, us Danilo months, Carter Vickers muscle/knee injury, out for the season back in weeks. Jack was playing not been seen for months “we are managing his recovery” ehm there is 6 weeks of the season left, play him if he breaks down he breaks down we move on.

I’d be interested to see Highway Star’s take on this discussion.

He’ll have a better idea than most on these matters I’d imagine.

What was Clement deflecting when he came into the job and again when we were in the middle of our winning run?

I have no idea, why did he mention it all.

Do you think he has improved it, do you think we are picking up less injuries.

Do you think it was wise gambling both Sterling and McCausland away at Easter Road immediately before a huge European tie.

Has our form dropped off a cliff now we are out of Europe ?

Was our pre season not sufficient to see us through an entire season
Or
Are we not preparing for games properly (training leading up to match and or warm up before kick off) in regards to how we seem so off the pace at the start of games????
You should have started a poll . imo .

We have had muscular injuries to players all season and the manager is having to carefully manage minutes. He has said numerous times he has never had this before in his managerial career. Think it’s safe to say the conditioning in the summer was well off preparing the players to cope with the demands of a long hard season

I’d suspect we won’t see it do so bad next season as Clement will prepare properly and get shot of those who cannot come physically
What I can’t understand is as we employ professional athletes, most of whom know exactly what the Scottish game requires fitness wise, and they should have their own fitness regime.

If the club is not preparing them properly for the task should they not be saying something.

John Brown went Roy Keane on the players on Sunday for not sprinting in defensive moments. John Brown’s teams were never the most athletic, but in the domestic game they never lacked endurance or energy.

Absolutely. The manager has said as such. Need a level of fitness and strength to take us through the long haul. Top levels of fitness also help players avoid getting stress injuries and niggling stuff.

Call john grieg and get a wee trip to gullane sands arranged,then our players will run for 90mins beyond.

Lundstram ,goldson,tav seem to run with lead boots on now,no pace whatsoever.

Every season, every change of manager it’s the same, “our fitness was terrible we need to work on it”
I agree.
Every new manager who comes into a club during a season will hint about the previous regimes pre-season being shit, happens at every club.
I think it's a 'i need time here' ploy.

We looked the fittest team against celtc at 90 mins.
We looked the un-fittest v Dundee.

We've had the most horrendous injury list so let's hope whatever he has in mind come the summer works.

Back