Do we have any true International class players?

Wavy Davy

In the history of this great club we have had some true international stars but I am struggling to think of one player we have who would be first on any International team XI, who will go to a summer tournament and play 90+ minutes.
I am not expecting Argentinians or Brazilians but we don’t even have Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish starters.
When did we and why have we set the bar so low?

The landscape has changed immeasurably due to TV money in the big leagues. We can't afford top players now.

The landscape has changed immeasurably due to TV money in the big leagues. We can't afford top players now.
I get that but Scotland has reached the Euros and we don’t even have the cream of Scottish football.
We had the Fergusons, McCoists, Gorams of the world and it wasn’t about money and TV rights to get these guys.
We have settled for mediocrity.

Ridvan
Mccausland
Sima
Dessers
Matondo

All on their countries latest squads

Add Diomande, Souttar, Butland, to the list, that are good enough for their countries. Is Sterling not thinking about changing countries too?

It's a good question to be honest.

We hate players going on international duty and coming back injured etc but we need a good core of players playing for their countries and improving their game with different managers and different styles.

A few international quality players in the summer would be positive, so that means no English players.

Could maybe get a couple that are in the Welsh or Northern Irish squads, and the obvious ones from the Scotland squad.

Scotland don't have any real quality players in their side. They have a few very good players nothing more. Rangers have a couple of the very good ones and the rest are journeymen.

I get that but Scotland has reached the Euros and we don’t even have the cream of Scottish football.
We had the Fergusons, McCoists, Gorams of the world and it wasn’t about money and TV rights to get these guys.
We can't afford even the best Scottish players now. We could then. It's all about the money mate. McGinn, Mctominay, Hickey, Robertson, Lewis Ferguson, Gilmour and more... all out of reach, even if they were minded to join us.

Had a look and I could only see one player listed as his competition , don’t know much about Turkish football to be honest it was just a punt in the dark !
Hopefully he does and has a good tournament and add some cash onto his value
He won't play for Turkey at the Euros

Scotland don't have any real quality players in their side. They have a few very good players nothing more. Rangers have a couple of the very good ones and the rest are journeymen.

Nonsense

Tierney
Robertson
McGinn
Ferguson
Gilmour

I'd say are "quality players", most are better than "very good" I'd say playing in the EPL or top European Leagues

Rangers wage bill 1990 4.2 million
Liverpool wage bill 1990. 5.4 million
Man united 4.7 million

Rangers wage bill now 54 million
Liverpool now, 378 million
Man united 331 million

Your kidding yourself on if you think we would have had they kind of players if the budgets were as far apart back then as to what it is currently today.

Not very many international level players want to play in Scotland. That's just the truth. Even the ones that play for Scotland are moving down south or abroad to Serie A to develop. Our league is awful. It's one of the reasons it's so galling that we always contrive to struggle in it.

We could sign one or two international starters from abroad, but they wouldn't be from the top nations and usually the smaller nations top level players play in the top 5 leagues already.

It's not exclusively a Rangers problem either. It's becoming the norm in a lot of countries across Europe. We do have the rather unique problem of having the biggest league in the world on our door step though, which means we lose the very best youngsters to EPL clubs.

Had a look and I could only see one player listed as his competition , don’t know much about Turkish football to be honest it was just a punt in the dark !
Hopefully he does and has a good tournament and add some cash onto his value
God loves an optimist

A good thread to let the penny drop regarding the quality of player currently at our disposal.

In terms of going forward we need to look at recruitment and a new development model. Innovation in terms of recruitment, selling and coaching if we are able to compete at the highest levels again.

Whether anyone at our club is thinking this way I doubt it.

Man united 4.7 million

Man united 331 million

You’re kidding yourself on if you think we would have had they kind of players if the budgets were as far apart back then as to what it is currently.
I was having a conversation the other week with someone who was comparing Hateley and Dessers and i just couldn’t get it into their head that Hateley would cost about £50m+ now.

I was having a conversation the other week with someone who was comparing Hateley and Dessers and i just couldn’t get it into their head that Hateley would cost about £50m+ now.

The world record transfer fee in 87 was 6 million, Monaco paid 2.3 million for Hateley the same year, Ian rush was sold the same year for a British record at 3.2 million, British record is 115 million now so based on that he’d be over 50 million quite comfortably

Man united 4.7 million

Man united 331 million

Your kidding yourself on if you think we would have had they kind of players if the budgets were as far apart back then as to what it is currently today.
Totally agree with the gulf nowadays, and it is never going to narrow.
My point in naming Ferguson, McCoist and Goram was we developed Ferguson, bought McCoist and Goram long before their peak and before they would have been expensive. Some other poster referenced Hickey, Lewis F and Gilmour, defo well out our league NOW but they could have been here for a song before now.
We appear to have completely lost the eye for potential (Bassey aside) and I’m sorry but the Academy isn’t paying dividends for us either.

That’s what happens when you sign jobbies from the English Championship.

Most overrated league in the world, and I include the EPL in that.

So many poor to average players from up here have gone down there and strolled it.

For the money we’ve thrown away on our current squad in fees and wages, there are plenty international class that are attainable.

Back