Do we pack the midfield or leave just the two in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've lost the midfield battle with 3 midfielders before, because we picked the wrong ones

It's hard enough matching up 3 vs 3 when their first choice 3 of Hatate, McGregor & O'Reilly press hard. How on earth do we expect to compete being a man down in there?
We can’t

I was pointing out the inaccuracy of it being “literally suicide”.

Whoever wins the midfield gets to expose the other teams weaknesses.

In the first half at Ibrox we handed them an easy two goal lead, surrendered the midfield and had our worst player given the role of going up against their left side and protecting our right side.

It failed miserably, but also got to bear in mind our defence was out of balance with Sterling totally wasted at left back. Bringing on Sima made a huge difference in retaining the ball through midfield and forward areas and we were a much better team.

I think we need to pack the midfield to win that battle and be able to counter their 100mph start. Then as gaps appear second half we can become more open and really go for them.

Butland
Tavernier Balogun Souttar Ridvan
Diomande Lundstram
Sterling Lawrence Sima
Dessers
That's almost the same team that started away to Benfica with Balogun instead of Goldson and Sima in for Silva. I think that would work.
I dont know if balogun will be ok for Saturday he went off with a back problem but I'm hoping he is ok for Saturday

I'd go

Butland
Tav
Balogun
Souttar
Ridvan
Sterling
Lundstram
Diomande
Lawrence
McCausland
Sima

I'd get Sterling to stay on McGregor and look to play balls through the middle for McCausland and Suma to run on to.
I think starting with Dessers is a waste of a jersey.

They always do ( in recent years) I really hope we try and take the game to them.
We have to

When we did under SG we got something from the game

Teams that beat or take points off them always get in their face or give them no time on the ball to play their game.

I just don’t see Clement altering our tactics and formation to counteract them. I suspect he’ll want us to play our own game and let them worry about us - essentially do Plan A better.

If we try and go with just two in the middle we will lose control of the midfield again. It happens pretty much every game v them, you'd think we'd learn eventually.
Play three in the first half while looking to score from wide positions and stop them from getting their usual flying start then as the frantic steam runs out of them change it to suit a more attacking set up . keep the zero first then get the goals may be one option i am fed up being behind early. i get that everyone wants us to come out all guns blazing because we have been so slow to start games.
If we get a goal early or mid second half they may well crumble but its a big if and I have the fear, we may fall into our usual trap. I just hope big Phil has a plan that works

Id actually sacrifice width and play a diamond in midfield. Think it allows us to get more players in natural positions and gives cover to full backs when they go forward

Butland
Tav souttar balogun/davies ridvan
Lundstram
Sterling. Diomsnde
Cantwell
Dessers. Silva

It wont happen but for me that toughens up the middle of the park and allows for cover of full backs when they ho forward and gets Silva in a more natural position.

We’re rigid in our formation though so i dont see it changing

Clement needs to get the midfield right on Saturday if we’re to win I’d have Sterling in there and not on the wing it will need to be spot on the team he picks.

We need someone at right wing we attacks the back post as that is where they are really weak. Unfortunately that leaves us only with Sima or Tav to chose from.

Unpopular maybe but Lawrance off the left just shelling it to the back post might work the way it did for Aberdeen.

Not saying formation, personnel, or tactics are unimportant, clearly they are. It's hunger however that will ultimately decide this game, I'm convinced of it.

If, and it's a big if we can buck the trend of being mentally ill prepared for this then I'm convinced there's a result there.

In all honesty that mob haven't once been found wanting v us this season, so Clement is going to have to up the ante on the motivational front all week.

It's then up to the players to find within themselves that resolute refusal to accept second best. The same quality that was the hall mark of of all the great Rangers teams who've dominated this fixture.

Pack with flat 3 and stick Cantwell wide
Considering our wide options I’d be inclined to play this middle to front

Sterling lundstrum diomondi

—-Cantwell ——-Lawrence

————-Dessers——-

Leave them the space out wide with their fullbacks and smother the centre of the pitch

we play with our right winger far too close to Tav, need to press from the front and put them on the back foot, Front 3 pressers, solid flat 3 in midfield winning the battles and all second balls

I think they will be expecting us to play our usual with two in the middle and a ten, that’s going to be massively key for the filths apparent success in this game if you listen to them.

The only other way we throw a curveball at them is if we play 3 at the back, solid 3 in the middle and have our wing backs doing a huge amount of work helping outside and inside. Leaves a potential 10 and a forward to help in attack, and gives the midfield an added layer of protection. For it to work we would need a solid back 5 for pretty much most of the game and flood the middle with a 4 in reality. It’ll be backs to the wall if we allow it to, or we can use the 352 to counter them.

It’ll be interesting to see how Clement plays it, but he needs to get it better than spot on if we want anything from it.

What I will say is that the amount of hubris from that lot in the media lately, it’s shaping up to bite them on their arses.

Quite clearly the tried and tested hasn't worked against them. I'd go with a 3 man midfield of lundstam(even though I don't like him), Diamonde and Sterling. That would give us some bite in the key areas. The only issue I have is who to play or right but at a push(if Sima doesn't make it( would be Cantwell. .

Added to that I'd like to see our front 2 wider players far more narrow, so to squeeze the back 2 of Celtic.

Think Cantwell will be dropped and Raskin will play. If Sima is fit then it'll be Sterling in midfield rather than Raskin.

In the past we have gone with 3 and been overrun but that's because the 3 have had no legs, if we go with a 3 of say Lundstrum, Dio Sterling/Raskin we have the legs to counter their 3. If we go with just Dio and Lundstrum and either Cantwell or Lawrence ahead of them I will start having worries about Clement

Do we pack the midfield with sterling, diomande and lundstram or just leave the two in the middle and let themins run the midfield? I personally think which will probably not happen, we should pack the midfield and chase them down
Set up the way we did in the 2nd half of the 3-3 at Ibrox and we will have a good day,

Take the game to their defence and get their crowd turned against them

Considering our wide options I’d be inclined to play this middle to front

Sterling lundstrum diomondi

—-Cantwell ——-Lawrence

————-Dessers——-

Leave them the space out wide with their fullbacks and smother the centre of the pitch

Zero pace in that team the glaring issue.

We need to hope sima or matondo make it for an outball

Has Clement ever played a midfield 3? I seriously can't remember it

He seems more rigid about his 4231 than Gerrard was with his 433

We need Sterlings legs in that midfield

Sterling

JL Diomande

That would be my 3, otherwise they are overran and Lundstram won't cope with the runners.

Id actually sacrifice width and play a diamond in midfield. Think it allows us to get more players in natural positions and gives cover to full backs when they go forward

Butland
Tav souttar balogun/davies ridvan
Lundstram
Sterling. Diomsnde
Cantwell
Dessers. Silva

It wont happen but for me that toughens up the middle of the park and allows for cover of full backs when they ho forward and gets Silva in a more natural position.

We’re rigid in our formation though so i dont see it changing
Very similar thoughts myself.

As you say though, I can't see Clement changing from his normal patterns.

Most managers believe in their system
I get that.
But it only works when you recruit the right players.
PC is trying to mold what he inherited into something that I can't work out and a lot of those players are not good enough.
He has seen enough of them to know we need to control the middle.
Lets see if he can come up with a plan B.

PC needs his psychologists to be working overtime with the squad to sort out the mental block that most of our players have with them. Get that right and the tactics on the pitch will be secondary.

I just don't see Clement changing it

He never changed it after Motherwell, Celtic, Ross county or Dundee, why is he going to do it now?

It will be the same usual faces in the same usual formation

Based on our complete lack of wide options. I’d be tempted to start the game very narrow (Walter style) with Cantwell and Lawrence in the wide slots, or one or them.

Sterling and Lundstram would need to work hard to cover the full backs out of possession as Lawrence and cantwell press the Celtic midfield.

Diomande is our best player at the moment and getting him on the ball will be key to any success we have.

Pack it, go toe to toe, don’t let them breathe.

Sterling / Lundstram (the good version) will combat and Dio can pull the strings.

If we do what we’ve continued to do they will just run the midfield and we will be chasing them all day once again.

Pack it, go toe to toe, don’t let them breathe.

Sterling / Lundstram (the good version) will combat and Dio can pull the strings.

If we do what we’ve continued to do they will just run the midfield and we will be chasing them all day once again.
It’s abundantly clear that this is what’s needed.

I’m concerned that so far the manager doesn’t seem to agree with this.

The team sheet will probably look the same with a 2 or a 3 in the middle so will have to wait till the game kicks off to see which way PC goes.

Have to go Gerrard style 5 in midfield. That's an absolute must.

Playing a number 10 leaves us badly exposed in midfield, even outwith games against the scum.

We need 3 in midfield otherwise they'll control & over run our midfield & be able to dictate the play.
Go at them from the first second.
Be first to every challenge, target McGregor & Carter Vickers.
If we can go 1 up i think they'll collapse under the pressure from their fans.

Just do it Rangers by any means necessary.

Not sure we have a fit winger that’s worthwhile playing anyway right now, so just pack the thing out.

—————Sterling——————
——Lundstram——-Dio————

—Cantwell————-Lawrence—

—————Dessers——————

Play a Scotland style box in the middle.

Hook Lawrence on 60 and hope Sima can last 30 mins.

Little value in starting Wright, Sterling, Silva wide. It offers nothing.

This game is won & lost in the middle of the park - get numbers in there, have them flitting back & forth to support in defence or attack and we really need someone to be very strong up front to be able to take the out ball and then hold it as support comes their way.

With the players we have available I'd consider a tight midfield 4 of
Sterling Raskin Lundstram Diomande
Good legs in wider areas and more chance to keep it tight first half and allow Tav and Yilmaz to get forward
With Dessers up top supported by Silva - who might look more dangerous more centrally and a bit more freedom
We'd then have Cantwell, Lawrence, McCausland to come in after an hour or so

However, the evidence is that Clement won't change his system - so I'd expect Sterling wide right and Cantwell in front of Lundstram and Dio - and it could be more of the same first half hour and we end up 1 or 2 down

Whatever system and personnel we play we have to get our press working - in the past there we've let them play out too easily and let them get into dangerous areas without much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back