Dortmund CL success no longer detrimental to us?

jaws73

Official Ticketer
At least according to DR.

Sorry if old news but I hadn't seen it.

Rangers ON for automatic Champions League spot as Dortmund surge to final clears backdoor route​

The Bundesliga side reaching the Wembley showpiece has handed the Scots a major boost despite our falling coefficient.

Borussia Dortmund have opened the door for Rangers to secure a spot in the Champions League group stage in 2025/26 despite Scotland's coefficient plummeting.

Next season's Scottish Premiership winners know they won't automatically qualify for the group stage of Europe's elite competition from the 2025/26 campaign after Scotland dropped out of the UEFA coefficient rankings top 10, with the Czech Republic moving up the rankings. Our nation has tumbled to 11th - but that could be enough for Rangers to make the most of a loophole and grab a group stage spot.

The Light Blues’ club coefficient ranking means they would secure a place thanks to the expanded Champions League format that comes into effect next season thanks to being the highest ranked champion in qualifying – if Scotland hold 11th spot and Philippe Clement leads his side to the title next term. However, that had all hinged on the 2024 Champions League winners already qualifying for the following season's competition through their league position.

Going into the semi-final clash with Paris Saint-Germain, Dortmund had put major doubts on Rangers being able to navigate the backdoor route to the 2025/26 campaign. The club sit in fifth spot in the Bundesliga - outside of the Champions League spots in Germany - and skipper Emre Can lifting the trophy at Wembley would have been a nightmare scenario for the Ibrox side.

But Dortmund's victory over the French champions took Germany into the top two of the coefficient rankings and saw the Bundesliga secure a fifth spot in the competition. That means if Edin Terzic's side lift the trophy it will have no impact on Rangers’ ability to grasp the spot going spare.

Individually Rangers hold a 10 point lead over the next closest side - Dinamo Zagreb - which puts them in pole position. As a country Scotland have a 3.075 advantage over Switzerland in 12 and it would take a massive swing next season for our nation to fall any further. Therefore, if Rangers win the league next season they would be on course to nab a spot in the group stage.

I’d love to say I understand all the ins and outs of the European qualification, but I really can’t. I get that we can get into the groups if we win the title next season, but it’s all the other guff about co-efficient points and the Swiss etc.
Don’t get me wrong I could sit and sift through pages and pages of the new rules, but I can’t be arsed.

It's a confusing article as it doesn't really matter what Dortmund do this years with regards qualifying for the 25/26 League Stage tbh.

If any teams are to skip the qualifying rounds in 25/26 then it is dependant on who wins the 24/25 Champions / Europa Leagues. And the two nations who get extra spots due to highest overall country performance in 24/25.

All we really need to be concerned about for the 25/26 season qualifying if we win the league is ensuring Shakhtar and Dinamo Zagreb don't catch us.

Without the 24/25 ranking points still to be added we are 11 points ahead of Shakhtar and 10 ahead of Dinamo Zagreb going into this coming season.

All we really need to be concerned about for the 25/26 season qualifying if we win the league is ensuring Shakhtar and Dinamo Zagreb don't catch us.

Without the 24/25 ranking points still to be added we are 11 points ahead of Shakhtar and 10 ahead of Dinamo Zagreb going into this coming season.
We would have to have a disaster of a campaign to let them catch us up, and I’m confident Clement won’t allow that to happen.

"The Light Blues’ club coefficient ranking means they would secure a place thanks to the expanded Champions League format that comes into effect next season thanks to being the highest ranked champion in qualifying – if Scotland hold 11th spot and Philippe Clement leads his side to the title next term."

F*ck. Knew there was a catch coming.

My reading of that article is, if PSG won good news for us, but with Dortmund winning and Germany gaining a 5th spot in the expanded CL, still good news for us ???

My reading of that article is, if PSG won good news for us, but with Dortmund winning and Germany gaining a 5th spot in the expanded CL, still good news for us ???
Jeezus.

You should have proof read the article for him. Your summary - much clearer and concise.

Honestly, I entered the thread in a hearty mood and ended cursing like %^*& on the train after reading it for a third time.

What a confusing story that is. In the space of three sentences they tell us Dortmund reaching and winning the final would have been a "nightmare scenario" for us then explains that Dortmund reaching the final actually leaves open the possibility of us being able to qualify via a loophole. And naturally, they can't bring themselves to provide context and mention that this would have no bearing on Celtic because Celtic are a joke in Europe. Aside from their agendas and biases, they're just terrible at explaining what's going on.

Can someone translate and also clear up qualifying for this year? Is there any chance we auto qualify or is that opportunity gone? I believe there was a situation that the second placed team in the league still had a clear route into the group.

Can someone translate and also clear up qualifying for this year? Is there any chance we auto qualify or is that opportunity gone? I believe there was a situation that the second placed team in the league still had a clear route into the group.
Would only have applied to us under certain scenarios which unfortunately didn't come to pass. Need to get past two qualification rounds for entry to CL groups. Lose any and it's Europa groups.

Back