Official Dr Mark Waller Returns

Hopefully he can help with the issues we’ve had injury wise forward and can bring in a serious improvement to the medical department under his remit.

Some Leicester fans seem to be delighted that he’s left them and we have some fans suggesting he’s the signing of the season, such are the delights of football :D

I may have missed it but why are people so happy about this? I'm not too familiar with him.

Other than his handling of Covid and the fact 55 went well, I genuinely don’t know? As everyone who criticised the medical team last year you can find a like for like under his stewardship last time too.

I think we have clearly made some bad signings of players who are known to have an injury history Roofe & Helander in particular

I think we have clearly made some bad signings of players who are known to have an injury history Roofe & Helander in particular
We have. Probably co-incidental, but in the 2 seasons where we had both Dr Waller and Roofe, we got 72 appearances out of the latter. Just 6 in the season since Doc Waller left. In the 3 seasons where we had both Dr Waller and Helander, we got 61 appearances out of the latter and 0 since Doc Waller left.

Fantastic news. The board really are turning the club upside down and doing things right imo. I've said on previous threads, bisgrove fills me with confidence. He absolutely smashed his targets in his previous role. Excited to see how he performs in his new role.

True, but we also had a multitude of injuries last season for players who aren't typically injury prone. Colak barely missed a game before last season, Matondo, Yilmaz, Goldson, just to name a few.

It's not just the number of injuries either, it's the drastically long time to recover or reoccurrence that is just shocking, to me it suggests the conditioning of the players last summer was well below par as are the medical staff in charge of rehab.

Half our problems have been by us continuing to play injured players

Exactly. Did Gerrard and team not use an AI predictive software tool that helped determine who god game time etc to limit injuries?

Morelos getting flogged to death out in Belgrade quite possibly cost us a European trophy (though there is an argument we would not have got past Leipzig playing Morelos instead of Aribo). I remain convinced we beat Frankfurt with Roofe or Morelos fit.

I may have missed it but why are people so happy about this? I'm not too familiar with him.
When he was here, we looked super-fit, doing back to back extra times with little sign of fatigue, never mind injuries. It all fell apart when he left so I think people are happy to see him back. Whatever fitness programme he was part of, it looks like it is being put back together and that can only be a good thing.

People are going to be very disappointed to find changing the head of the medical department doesn't magically stop players getting injured
Waller was responsible for the medical care of all the first team squad, including treatment and prevention of injuries.

He won't stop everything, but he has years of experience on training sportsmen, mainly football players. Why is it, when Rangers make a positive move, there are always people ready to give their negative opinion even before he has started.

Waller was responsible for the medical care of all the first team squad, including treatment and prevention of injuries.

He won't stop everything, but he has years of experience on training sportsmen, mainly football players. Why is it, when Rangers make a positive move, there are always people ready to give their negative opinion even before he has started.

I'm sure he's good but the vast majority of injuries are down to luck and no amount of good doctors and physios will change that

I'm sure he's good but the vast majority of injuries are down to luck and no amount of good doctors and physios will change that
The vast majority of injuries can be prevented by a proper warming up. I would say luck has totally nothing to do with anything. Stress on the body and movement under stress has far more to do with it than luck. You may be unlucky to get an injury, but there is always a reason it happens. You may be unlucky to get a kick on the shin, but luck does not cause the injury the kick on the shin does. There is always a reason for an injury.

Some are, no question, but I wouldn’t say the vast majority, far from it.
We did have some poor luck. But we also bought some injury prone players. Once you have more than a few out, the pressure gets put on not to rest players who need it, but are still contributing. Its a nasty circle. I note we are still looking at some players with dodgy injury histories. However I don't believe this season will be anything like as bad as last.

I can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to crawl out from the Chamber of Secrets, when Roofe has played 20 games and scored 25 goals next season.

I can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to crawl out from the Chamber of Secrets, when Roofe has played 20 games and scored 25 goals next season.
They are out already. Calling each other all sorts. Apparently Doc has a habbit of diagnosing players with Asthma to allow them to have inhalers which increases their oxygen intake :))

This is likely one outcome of the review into the medical department that I'm sure Beale mentioned in one of his first interviews.

A tried and trusted leader for it is the perfect start to improving things.

This is likely one outcome of the review into the medical department that I'm sure Beale mentioned in one of his first interviews.

A tried and trusted leader for it is the perfect start to improving things.
Good post. Some comments on this thread are hype, but even if we get injuries during the season we know the players are in good hands now. I think he also brings a good feel factor to the backroom, which is important as well.

Back