Drop Balls

Surely it should be a drop ball to Rangers when we were in possession and the Kilmarnock player banged into the referee while attempting to chase down Diomande? (Think it was him)

Surely it should be a drop ball to Rangers when we were in possession and the Kilmarnock player banged into the referee while attempting to chase down Diomande? (Think it was him)

I thought I was going crackers. All the replies stating the ball goes to the team in possession but no-one mentioning that we had possession!

That's where the confusion stemmed from. We couldn't work out why they were getting an uncontested drop ball so we kept contesting it presuming it must be a contested drop ball if we weren't just given the ball back.

Another rules question, totally unrelated to drop balls.
Is it still the case that the keeper has six seconds to release the ball once he has picked it up?
If so the Killie keeper must have contravened this rule every time he picked up the ball.
I counted seventeen seconds on one occasion

I thought I was going crackers. All the replies stating the ball goes to the team in possession but no-one mentioning that we had possession!

That's where the confusion stemmed from. We couldn't work out why they were getting an uncontested drop ball so we kept contesting it presuming it must be a contested drop ball if we weren't just given the ball back.
We thought it should have been our uncontested ball not killie.

Had no clue why fans or the players were getting annoyed. Yes it was given to Killie, but was their drop ball, so not sure why our players were jumping in.

Had no clue why fans or the players were getting annoyed. Yes it was given to Killie, but was their drop ball, so not sure why our players were jumping in.
Diomande was in possession the Killie player ran into the ref trying to get it off him. It should have been our drop ball, at the very least a proper 50/50 drop ball with two players kicking each other trying to win it.

Is it still the case that the keeper has six seconds to release the ball once he has picked it up?
If so the Killie keeper must have contravened this rule every time he picked up the ball.
Yes and it's probably the most broken rule in football. I think it's getting changed next year.
There's a trial for next year.
It'll be changed to 8 seconds and instead of an indirect free kick it will be a corner or a throw in on line with the penalty spot.

Most were 20secs along with 20secs to take byekicks as well.

You just know if Butland had done the same at 2-1up he would have got a card.

No it’s not, I said in another post that if the ref calls a drop ball because the ball hit him or he blocked a player then he stops the game and restarts it with a uncontested drop ball to the team he decides were in possession
It happens every week and our players were daft to try and win it
Our players weren't daft at all. The ref set up on both occasions for a contested drop ball. He didn't usher our players away.

if the ball touched the ground before readers and Cantwell touched it then he’s just making the rules up as he goes

So the team that the ref decides were in possession get the ball placed in front of them and the other team need to get back to let them take it. Sounds very similar to a free kick.
It essentially is but without the advantage of the ball being static and the defence having to stand back. If you have the ball and the game is stopped or interrupted then it's an unwritten rule that you get the ball back as a drop.

I’m still very confused about what happened with that today. As far as I can tell the ref wanted to give Killie a free kick without it being a free kick.
There hasn’t been contested drop balls since 2019. It’s actually ridiculous that our players don’t know the rules.

You don’t see it because there is no such thing as a contested drop ball anymore. It was stopped 5 years ago.

You don’t see it because there is no such thing as a contested drop ball anymore. It was stopped 5 years ago.
This my last try . There can be contested drop balls but teams agree not to contest like before.
Today’s drop balls were for a ref infringement and he DECIDES who gets possession UNCONTESTED!!!!!!!

This my last try . There can be contested drop balls but teams agree not to contest like before.
Today’s drop balls were for a ref infringement and he DECIDES who gets possession UNCONTESTED!!!!!!!
Contested drop balls haven’t been a thing since 2019

Had a few drinks tonight and memory fading...

Killie player ran into ref today and it was a drop ball?

A few months ago, an opposition player ran into ref and we were allowed to continue with play?

What game was that?

That game a few months ago, we were given advantage. I think. What was the difference?

It was the fact it happened twice that did it for me. Surely after the first one he tells everyone what the situation was if its to be uncontested.
For the cantwell one i think it was more after the ref dropped it at the killie players feet he stood for a few seconds not doing anything. How long do you give them to touch the ball before ur allowed to challenge them?

So if a team has free kick and don’t take after a while the opponent can just kick the ball ?
3 mins to go and you're one nil up
Awarded a free kick
Decide to stand around not kicking the ball and let the clock run down
What do you think happens?
If teams were allowed to do this the first free kick the winning team gets in the second half would be the end of the game
Games would consist of teams playing to get the first goal then a free kick to end the game
Bit dull for the fans

Because we had the ball, not Kilmarnock.
We were in possession of the ball when he ran into him
The killie player was clearly the last player to touch the ball before play was stopped.

The rules don't explicitly state that the referee impeding a player should result in play being stopped. The ball striking the referee should result in play being stopped and a drop ball awarded for the team who last touched the ball.

In that sense the ref shouldn't have stopped play at all as there is no reason in the rules to do so.

Once he's (wrongly) awarded the drop ball the correct procedure was followed, to return play to team whose player was last to touch it.

But our players weren’t 4m away were they?
Hard to judge precisely from the TV picture but Cantwell looked very close to 4m away as the ball was dropped, although by letter of the law has to stay 4m until the ball is 'in play', i.e. when it touches the ground. He's still about 2m away, but then 2m is nothing when you consider FKs and throw ins are subject to yard stealing and angle changing all the time.

Last edited:
I was raging at the time, but I have just watched it back and it wasn’t actually as bad as I remembered.

The Kilmarnock player did get the last touch before the ref blew. Dio was just about to take control but hadn’t actually touched the ball.

The ref did then tell Dessers and Cantwell to move backwards but they ignored it and stayed in same place.

The ref shouldn't have dropped the ball if they weren't, it was his fault not the players for rightly going for the ball once it's in play, it was on the incompetent ref.

Rangers were also in possession of the ball and he decided to give it to Kille.
Absolute nonsense, you need to learn the rules, he declares it possession to KIlmarnock, no Rangers player can touch it until a Kilmarnock player touches it.
No amount of absolute gobbledegook about how long or anything else changes that!

When watching the replay to me it looked like the Killie player was at it.

Yes, the ref was too close to the ball however the Killie player realised he’d been robbed of possession and just flung himself into the refs back so that play would be stopped. He could’ve easily avoided him.

When does he give a contested one though?
Any drop he doesnt award possession to a team can be contested. Normally teams agree not to contest and give the team allow the opposition to take possession then kick it back to the other team.
Have you all been in outer space for the last 20 years?

Any drop he doesnt award possession to a team can be contested. Normally teams agree not to contest and give the team allow the opposition to take possession then kick it back to the other team.
Teams don't agree anything. There is no such thing as a contested drop ball now. It was stopped in 2019 which is why I find it mental that our players don't know that.

Ball is in play as soon as it touches the ground - opponents have to be 4m away until that point but as soon as it hits the ground they can challenge for it.
Thank you, didn’t know that part.
Dickinson definitely indicated to Dessers And Cantwell by pointing at the kfc he had to play it.

No drop balls can be contested now. It has been that way for about 5 years now.

The whole incident seemed bizarre. Kilmarnock player runs into the ref when we are attacking so I assumed we’d get the uncontested drop ball then when it was given to Kilmarnock I thought they’d give the ball back instead of going on the attack

Never because there is no contested drop balls anymore. I can't believe people still don't know this
You both seem very confident haha

No it’s not, I said in another post that if the ref calls a drop ball because the ball hit him or he blocked a player then he stops the game and restarts it with a uncontested drop ball to the team he decides were in possession
Then what’s the point of a drop ball

Always wonder how much football some of our fans actually watch.
I watch a shit load of football and couldn't for the life of me tell you want was going on at the game. Even those around me didn't know why there was a drop ball in the first place. Apparently neither did our players.

Always wonder how much football some of our fans actually watch.
Like the people questioning why other fans would put Sterling back into the midfield. If people didn't watch the games he played in the midfield then they missed the best period of our season.

I don't think they were daft to try for as the opposition player was taking some time to move for the ball.

That’s simply not true. I don’t know why you keep repeating this.

Back