Dropped Ball in the first half

What was that all about? Ref holding the ball in between the two players dessers wins it gets through on goal ref pulls it back Cantwell then wins it gets through on goal ref pulls it back then gives it to Kilmarnock
I assume he did it again as Cantwell wasn’t far enough back.

Drop balls are supposed to be uncontested now the ref made an arse of it by getting in the way of the players then confounded it by not waiting to the players were far enough away

are you still allowed contested dropped balls? I wasn’t sure why it was a drop ball to Kille. Is this not the same prick that did it to us against Hibs a few weeks back?

Vast majority, if not all dropped balls are uncontested now especially when the Ref gets in the way.

Rangers player in possession, Killie player runs into ref and he gives the decision in favour of Killie. Then the bizarre sequence of events as OP describes.

Killie player had last touch

As for the drop ball, Killie player wanted to settle on it and take his time, soon as it bounces it should be fair game, Cantwell especially was far enough away when he dropped it second time. He is a fanny of a referee at best off times, so no surprises he was shit today again stopping the game every time a gust of wind knocked over a Kilmarnock player

are you still allowed contested dropped balls? I wasn’t sure why it was a drop ball to Kille. Is this not the same prick that did it to us against Hibs a few weeks back?
No you can’t.

Assume it went to killie as ref had his back turned so he last seen a killie touch.

Apparently the hibs decision was correct as a drop ball in the box always goes to defending team

Once the ball dropped and the Kilmarnock player makes zero attempt to play the ball, then surely it's live.
Dickinson was a dick all day, not sure he made a correct decision on field all day in his own right

Unfortunately it’s not live until touched by a Killie player, however they can’t rip the arse either then it’s a free kick to us.

It was just the same as this incident in our game at Dens Park earlier in the season.

Ref should have allowed play to continue, he’s only supposed to stop it when the ball hits him, not when he obstructs a player.

What was that all about? Ref holding the ball in between the two players dessers wins it gets through on goal ref pulls it back Cantwell then wins it gets through on goal ref pulls it back then gives it to Kilmarnock
He was frightened Rangers might score

There are no contested drop balls anymore. The referee gives possession back to the team who was in possession when the game stopped.
How long are they uncontested for?
Does the ball have to be played by the “receiving” team?
How many bounces can the “receiving” team wait for?
It’s getting like a free kick.

Unfortunately it’s not live until touched by a Killie player, however they can’t rip the arse either then it’s a free kick to us.
That is not true. It is live as soon as it touches the ground. The TV view was bad but I assume that the ref is saying the Rangers players were not 5 yards away.

It never should have been a dropped ball in any case as it did not touch the ref. A player running into the ref is not cause for stopping play.

I have never seen a ref (Dickinson) who loves a dropped ball as much as he does.

That is not true. It is live as soon as it touches the ground. The TV view was bad but I assume that the ref is saying the Rangers players were not 5 yards away.

It never should have been a dropped ball in any case as it did not touch the ref. A player running into the ref is not cause for stopping play.

I have never seen a ref (Dickinson) who loves a dropped ball as much as he does.
The second one should have been let go. They ref had already checked cantwell was far enough away, Killie player doesn't deal with it

Last edited:
It wasn’t a drop ball, it was a free ball to killie.
Should have been to us.

Once the ball dropped and the Kilmarnock player makes zero attempt to play the ball, then surely it's live.
Dickinson was a dick all day, not sure he made a correct decision on field all day in his own right
This. It’s uncontested but they can’t wait for as long as they like to play it.

I don’t think it should have been a drop ball, when the Dundee player ran into Clancy earlier in the season it was play on.

Think after the first 20mins today, Davie bhoy wanted to be somewhere else, and realised refereeing isn't for him and not worth it.

The quicker we get rid of Sunday league line runners, and get a professional set up in place, the better.

Wasn't there a collision with a Hibs player and Steven McLean in the cup game at Easter Road? McLean never stopped the game - pointing out to the Hibs player it was an accident - but, not a drop ball. Unlike if the ball hits him.

Killie player had last touch

As for the drop ball, Killie player wanted to settle on it and take his time, soon as it bounces it should be fair game, Cantwell especially was far enough away when he dropped it second time. He is a fanny of a referee at best off times, so no surprises he was shit today again stopping the game every time a gust of wind knocked over a Kilmarnock player
That’s why I’m trying to find out the rule.

Wasn't there a collision with a Hibs player and Steven McLean in the cup game at Easter Road? McLean never stopped the game - pointing out to the Hibs player it was an accident - but, not a drop ball. Unlike if the ball hits him.

Same as V Dundee at Dens, player runs into Clancy, play on.

That’s what I thought.
Poster Lord Tom usually knows these things so if he’s asking there has to be a doubt.
20 years ago I could cite the rules front to back and back again. In the last few years I have to doublecheck because FIFA screw around with them so much. And not to to the betterment of the game in a few instances. I'm sure of this one, mainly because I doublechecked.

Reminded me of the embarrassment of a performance the ref in my youngest son's match had on Friday. 12 year olds.

Absolute confusion and shambles.

20 years ago I could cite the rules front to back and back again. In the last few years I have to doublecheck because FIFA screw around with them so much. And not to to the betterment of the game in a few instances. I'm sure of this one, mainly because I doublechecked.
It had to be that, in my opinion, because anything else might as well be a free kick.
Defender could allow the ball to bounce a number of times, only once in Dundee though, then play as he wants.

Back