Easterhouse to Eindhoven - Bobby Russell recalls his career

Very nice piece by Chris Jack.

Still time for Bears to get their tickets for Friday night at New Edmiston House. Going to be a good night and Bobby will of course be signing copies of his book.

Rolls Royce of a player. When he left and signed for Motherwell every time he played at Ibrox against us he was in the running for mom. Class

Classy footballer. Unfortunately he set the Sheep scum up to score against us in the 1983 league Cup final. He made a terrible cross field pass to that bstrd Simpson and they scored in the closing minutes. Just as well there was no social media back then.

Last edited:
Got the book last week. Read it in a few hours.
I was a huge fan of Bobby. On his day , as graceful and skillful player as you'll ever see.
He should have played for Scotland in 77-78. In 78-79 his call up got grounded by Rangers fixture over run.

Sadly, i never realised the extent of his knee injury sustained in Sept 79 v Fortuna D.
After that his fitness couldnt be sustained and was even instructed not to tackle by Greig.
A futher injury to his hip actually meant Souness wouldnt retain him.
Never realised all that , so i was a bit gutted for him .
If i'm ever asked to pick a Rangers team, Bobby from 77-78 would be first pick.

Classy footballer. Unfortunately he set the Sheep scum up to score against us in the 1983 league Cup final. He made a terrible cross field pass to that bstrd Simpson and they scored in the closing minutes. Just as well there was no social media back then.
That was the 1983 Scottish Cup Final, Russell had a great game that day as well

Back