England favourite to win the Euros - is this fair?

top_cat

Official Ticketer

All UK bookies have England odds on favourites to win the tournament out right.

I guess it just depends on money laid, but I'm sceptical given who they have in charge, don't want this conversation to be a pile on with Southgate, but he's far too 'safe' to be the man to lead to England to glory, so my question is, do France and Spain stand a better chance to win, being in Germany, does Tam Muller have his final swan song?

I think England have some of the best talent in the world in their XI, just not sure they will get it done.

Thoughts?

I guess it just depends on money laid, but I'm sceptical given who they have in charge, don't want this conversation to be a pile on with Southgate, but he's far too 'safe' to be the man to lead to England to glory, so my question is, do France and Spain stand a better chance to win, being in Germany, does Tam Muller have his final swan song?

I think England have some of the best talent in the world in their XI, just not sure they will get it done.

Thoughts?
They have the players to win it. The manager they have means they won't win it.

They are definitely capable and have the players.

If they are to win it I think the players need to play their own game and play to their strengths and not listen too much to that overly cautious dick Southgate.

He is a barrier to them winning tournaments. They just need to humour him and concentrate on being the best versions if themselves on the pitch regardless of what shite Southgate is telling them.

I certainly hope they win it.

Thoughts?
I think you misunderstand the term "odds on."

Depends who are the luckiest in penalties between France and England imo. Any team that wins the tournament will have to win at least one shoot out I reckon.

Thoughts?
England are 3/1 against to win it not odds on, France 4/1

I would say France are favourites,England play way too defensive despite their players and Southgates tactics.

Thoughts?

Every single bookmaker in the world have England as favs (or co favs) from Paris to Peru to Port Adelaide to Peckham. It’s a myth it’s only in the uk, we will get the usual nonsense though about English money being the reason for it however and people reckoning it’s a bigger price in other parts of the world, it’s been hard to get 7/2 for a good few months now.

Prices with the firm who have the most shops on the German high street for instance:

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Weight of money?
There’ll be a lot of English punters betting on England.

Does it matter? If you fancy another team then you will get a better price if England are down as favs!

Does it matter? If you fancy another team then you will get a better price if England are down as favs!

Some people just struggle with what the term means, there are 6 joint favs on a roll of a dice for instance!

They have the players to win it. The manager they have means they won't win it.
Exactly and in the end the deficiencies of the Manager will hamper the abilities of the players.

France are strong but past their prime as a team, not dissimilar to Spain after their great run.

Given the closeness likely in the KO stages the winners may not need to be prolific goalscorers so the likes of Italy and Holland seem very credible outsiders.

The hype around England will make the bookies plenty of money though, especially as they'll go close.

Send your burst coupons to Gareth Southgate.

Exactly and in the end the deficiencies of the Manager will hamper the abilities of the players.

France are strong but past their prime as a team, not dissimilar to Spain after their great run.

Given the closeness likely in the KO stages the winners may not need to be prolific goalscorers so the likes of Italy and Holland seem very credible outsiders.

The hype around England will make the bookies plenty of money though, especially as they'll go close.

Send your burst coupons to Gareth Southgate.

Italy and Holland are likely to have the hardest routes in the competition.

England have the best squad, all their top players are in flying form. Their weakness is at centre back and in the dugout, which is normally where the big prizes are won and lost. It’s a very weak championships this summer, packed full of dross

They are deserved favourites and I don’t get the whole Southgate thing , he’s the most successful manager since Ramsay , a euros final , a World Cup semi , a World Cup quarters , best midfield and forwards in the world , 2 of the best full backs and a goalie who has never let them down.

They are deserved favourites and I don’t get the whole Southgate thing , he’s the most successful manager since Ramsay , a euros final , a World Cup semi , a World Cup quarters , best midfield and forwards in the world , 2 of the best full backs and a goalie who has never let them down.
Contradicted yourself there.
You've mentioned the quality of players but no trophy wins.

I think England will go far in it (partly because they seem to constantly get the easiest possible route of games) but will then come up against France and lose. I actually also think Portugal would beat them and, potentially, Spain. England have an unreal squad but their manager is a bunnet

I think England will go far in it (partly because they seem to constantly get the easiest possible route of games) but will then come up against France and lose. I actually also think Portugal would beat them and, potentially, Spain. England have an unreal squad but their manager is a bunnet

This is what many people fail to understand when it comes to betting, the draw plays a huge part in the pricing.

Group winners really should be straight forward and then it’s hard to see a hard fixture in the last 16 for us. So before you you know it you haven’t met a quality team till the quarters whereas others (such as the Dutch and Italy for example) have a battle on from the groups.

Last 8 in Dusseldorf 6pm local time on a Saturday v Scotland is my dream - think it’ll be Spain though.

This is what many people fail to understand when it comes to betting, the draw plays a huge part in the pricing.

Group winners really should be straight forward and then it’s hard to see a hard fixture in the last 16 for us. So before you you know it you haven’t met a quality team till the quarters whereas others (such as the Dutch and Italy for example) have a battle on from the groups.

Last 8 in Dusseldorf 6pm local time on a Saturday v Scotland is my dream.
Its my dream too mate!! If it happens, il meet you for a pint in celebration :D

Every single bookmaker in the world have England as favs (or co favs) from Paris to Peru to Port Adelaide to Peckham. It’s a myth it’s only in the uk, we will get the usual nonsense though about English money being the reason for it however and people reckoning it’s a bigger price in other parts of the world, it’s been hard to get 7/2 for a good few months now.

Prices with the firm who have the most shops on the German high street for instance:

Scotland at 80/1 alongside Ukraine is fucking ridiculous. If anyone wants to waste some money I will give you 1000/1.

Pirenial favourites to win every tournament they play in.

5/1 for the last Euros is the only time I’ve known that be the case. When else was it?

Weren’t even favs for Euro 96:

Thoughts?
All uk bookies. There's your problem. It's being swayed by England fans backing their own team.

I’d have France & Portugal ahead of England with Spain as 4th favourites.

I think Portugal are short because of their draw, I’ll be surprised if they don’t reach the quarters, they are only 6/4 to make the semis.

5/1 for the last Euros is the only time I’ve known that be the case. When else was it?

Weren’t even favs for Euro 96:

Put it another way then favourites in the English media and their pundits to win every tournament.

Reactions: TQ3
I think England will win it tbh

On paper they probably have the best squad. A lot of it will depend on the draw in the later rounds.

Final (hopefully) will be England Vs France

Put it another way then favourites in the English media and their pundits to win every tournament.

Never felt that myself but each to their own, can’t remember much enthusiasm after Erikkson up to the last Euros.

Very difficult to imagine them winning it with their average back 5, but middle to front they are loaded with WC talent.

Can they carry them to a win on the biggest stage though? I don't think they will tbh but it wouldn't be a shock if they did.

Hope not, but they have the best squad in terms of attacking talent imo. The French not far behind.

Only Southgate's negativity and their average defence will stop them winning it.

Thoughts?
They are not the favourites, they have the lowest odds to safeguard any payouts

For anyone interested, over the last 25 years the Euros has been won by the following managers - Roberto Mancini, Fernando Santos, Vicente Del Bosque, Luis Aragones, Otto Rehhagel, Roger Lemerre and Berti Vogts. Can anyone really tell me any of them were elite level managers at the pinnacle of the sport besides Del Bosque and perhaps Mancini? I’m sure there’s younger bears just now seeing some of those names for the first time. I’m saying perhaps with Mancini because right after winning it he failed to even get them qualified for the World Cup and has been coaching in Turkey recently too.

But basically I’m asking how often was it being won by the best squad with a top manager at the helm too? Yes exactly. I feel Southgate’s just being set up as the fall guy so that people don’t have the explore the possibility that maybe the players aren’t the best of the best. Even though he’s done as well with England as anyone in recent history and probably deserves more respect. Generally speaking you do need top players, but you don’t really need a top level manager if the squad is that good, history proves that. Need a bit of luck as well obviously since it’s cup football. Still I think England have a really good chance.

For a dog race at Crayford paying £100. Not for one of the biggest football competitions on earth.
It's British bookies so obviously millions are betting on England so the odds will show that. It's not very hard to understand that. If this was a panelist of leading football people from around the world they wouldn't be favourites. In the grand scheme of things It's not really much of a story. England people bet on their team to win.

It's British bookies so obviously millions are betting on England so the odds will show that. It's not very hard to understand that. If this was a panelist of leading football people from around the world they wouldn't be favourites. In the grand scheme of things It's not really much of a story. England people bet on their team to win.

Read post 11 as well as others throughout it. By the way it’s my job and I work with an Eastern European facing firm and our biggest loser is England at present (4/1 was taken to do this). Feel free to point me in the direction of any bookies on earth where England are over 7/2, even finding 7/2 is hard now and has been for a few months.

Back