England favourite to win the Euros - is this fair?

Favourites to fail again yes. A completely overrated team. They might bore the opposition to a defeat though, so they’ve got a chance.

France are my favourites to win it.

England's weakness is in the dugout, and also they don't have an Mbappe that can single handedly drag them through a game if they are struggling.

Read post 11 as well as others throughout it. By the way it’s my job and I work with an Eastern European facing firm and our biggest loser is England at present (4/1 was taken to do this). Feel free to point me in the direction of any bookies on earth where England are over 7/2, even finding 7/2 is hard now and has been for a few months.
They're even under 4.5 on Betfair now and while I don't belittle their chances, I think that's awful short.

bookies decide who is favourite by the amount of money put on them
if scotland had the most money on them then they would be favourites
They have to price the competition up before a bet is placed though.
England and France have been vying for favouritism since day 1.
I agree weight of money is what has nosed England to the front of the betting.

They're even under 4.5 on Betfair now and while I don't belittle their chances, I think that's awful short.

I think 4/1 joint with France would be right but as I really can’t see any issue reaching the quarters as group winners (I’ve a flight booked for it - that’s my gamble regarding it) I understand the lack of 7/2.

All this about just being bookie favs in the UK is laughable, really shows up people who have no idea just how much the world has evolved this century with the internet and gambling.

I think 4/1 joint with France would be right but as I really can’t see any issue reaching the quarters as group winners (I’ve a flight booked for it - that’s my gamble regarding it) I understand the lack of 7/2.

All this about just being bookie favs in the UK is laughable, really shows up people who have no idea just how much the world has evolved this century with the internet and gambling.
Mate, I worked for on course bookies off and on for about 40 years and I bet/trade on the exchanges every day but put me in a modern bookies office and I imagine I'd be lost.
Agree with you totally about your dog race at Crayford comment.

I think England have a real chance, you look at the players they have and there is genuine quality throughout, if they had a world class keeper and central defender, I would fancy them strongly.

Have a wee feeling though the Germans might prevail.

They'll beat all the shite like they usually do and once they meet opposition on the same level they'll shit the bed.

Every single bookmaker in the world have England as favs (or co favs) from Paris to Peru to Port Adelaide to Peckham. It’s a myth it’s only in the uk, we will get the usual nonsense though about English money being the reason for it however and people reckoning it’s a bigger price in other parts of the world, it’s been hard to get 7/2 for a good few months now.

Prices with the firm who have the most shops on the German high street for instance:

If Germany had the equivalent players to Kane and Bellingham in their team - they would rightly be (or close to being) favourites.

Exactly and in the end the deficiencies of the Manager will hamper the abilities of the players.

France are strong but past their prime as a team, not dissimilar to Spain after their great run.

Given the closeness likely in the KO stages the winners may not need to be prolific goalscorers so the likes of Italy and Holland seem very credible outsiders.

The hype around England will make the bookies plenty of money though, especially as they'll go close.

Send your burst coupons to Gareth Southgate.
What makes you think the French are past their prime? Loads of players probably reaching their peak ages of 26-28 within their squad.

Forwards to choose from for example Mpabbe is 25, Thuram is 26, Dembele is 26, Mauani is 25 and Diaby is 24.

Last edited:
I'd say France are favourites but with England not too far behind.

They've got a great squad on paper but France have the better manager and the better mentality.

They have a chance but to put them above countries that have won multiple trophies I think is a bit of a stretch even though they have been playing shite of late ie Germany, Italy. Anyway Netherlands are going to win it I've been saying this for the last 30 years and it's got to happen at some point.:)

They need a runner to play left side which is either Watkins, Gordon or rashford but he’ll try shoehorn Foden or palmer there I think.

France are the best team on paper.

The Germans will be strong as well, midfield of Kroos gundogan wirtz musiala and sane is as strong as any

Who do you fancy to win @Wazza ?

It’s the first time in my lifetime I’ll be disappointed if England don’t win it. I don’t really fancy anyone else - more concerned we are capable of not giving it our best shot. On the back of this thread I like the look of Portugal making the semis at 6/4, can’t see there will be much they’ll face that’ll be hard if they win group, like they should.

Mate, I worked for on course bookies off and on for about 40 years and I bet/trade on the exchanges every day but put me in a modern bookies office and I imagine I'd be lost.
Agree with you totally about your dog race at Crayford comment.

Wasn’t having a go mate. Just meant information is so openly available now across the world it’s daft to think for a competition of this magnitude you’ll be able to get vastly different prices around the globe for who will win it. That’s besides all the arbing opportunities it would present, simply doesn’t exist now other than small stake gimmicks etc - expect Hills will go 4/1 England for a tenner in the lead up at some point for example. Also about Scotland being made favs if they attracted support, it’s one of the strongest markets you’ll ever see this comp.

To be fair, with the talent at their disposal, it’s no surprise they are favourites, there’s only France, Spain and a long shot Germany to compete with them, and if England are 7/2and France 4/1, there’s not a massive difference.

To win their groups
Germany
England
Spain
Portugal
Belgium
France

Pays just under 10/1. Spain with Italy in their group look the only danger to that imo.

They might struggle a bit defensively but, as a squad, they are more than capable of winning the tournament. Middle to front their options are excellent.

I think they will certainly reach the semi-finals and I do reckon they will go on and win it.

They should win it. The only thing stopping them is Southgate not being flexible or clever enough up against a top class manager.

They definitely can win it. In terms of the talent within the squad only France are close to them in Europe for me.
In a match up though would probably give the edge to France due to having a much superior manager.

They are also due their traditional injury scare for a big player ahead of the tournament. Were they to lose either Kane or Rice for example I think they would be in serious trouble.

Wasn’t having a go mate. Just meant information is so openly available now across the world it’s daft to think for a competition of this magnitude you’ll be able to get vastly different prices around the globe for who will win it. That’s besides all the arbing opportunities it would present, simply doesn’t exist now other than small stake gimmicks etc - expect Hills will go 4/1 England for a tenner in the lead up at some point for example. Also about Scotland being made favs if they attracted support, it’s one of the strongest markets you’ll ever see this comp.
LOL, I know you weren't having a go. I'm agreeing with your point of view.
Breakdown in communications :)

Yes I think they have the strongest squad, particularly in the final 3rd with Kane, Bellingham, Foden and Saka as a front 4, and good backup from Watkins, Grealish, Palmer, Maddison, Bowen. Biggest hindrance will be Southgate wanting to hold on to a lead rather than finishing teams off.

England have some very talented players but will Captain Cautious let the handbrake off to let the right players play in the right way?
Germany being hosts can’t be discounted, and they do have an easy group to start with giving them a good draw at the next stage.

In addition to the multitudes of other data, I'd imagine analytics will have weighting on successful players from their home country who also perform well abroad. So Kane and Bellingham playing as they are for such extended periods of time in top tier leagues will certainly play a part.

If Southgate played his best players they could win every game by scoring more than the opposition as the attacking options they have are frightening imo. The defence and keeper situation though means they will always be likely to concede, so he will not play his best attacking players and choose to shore up his midfield with dross

Correct - also see the English media myth being slung around in here quite a bit.

a common theme in ireland "i dont hate england i hate the way their media big them up"

1. They are stupidly critical of their national team, waiting on any chnce to pounce
2. What english media are you consuming? The papers here have been The Irish.... for years upon years, and if anything do much more lick-arsing of the irish national teams in any sport.

One small example - I used to work in stables and the radio would be blaring across the yard..sports news

"In the US Open, John O murphy is joint 58th on 4 under par and Sean McCann is 2 under in 75th"

Ok....who is actually winning though?

"In the European championships Jennifer O Reilly brought irelands medal tally upto 1, ahead of Argentina & Japan, as she won bronze in the 110m hurdles."

If they had another manager other than Southgate I would say they would stand a better chance.

I personally can't see past France and whilst Germany haven't been great in recent years they are on home soil so wouldn't surprise me if they went deep.

English bookie will be wanting to limit their exposure to an England tournament win. So the odds aren't going to be genuinely reflective of any chance they have of winning. They probably have the best player in the tournament in Jude Bellingham, but there are serious issues in goal and at the back. Bellingham is the best player in the tournament (probably) but the England squad isnt the best squad. Puts an awful lot of pressure on one or two guys to carry them.

WOuld be intresting to see stakes by country and people also forget bookies are so interconnected to markets the UK money could well drive the price but that sets exposire worldwide

France are winning anyway and thats were my cash is going

English bookie will be wanting to limit their exposure to an England tournament win. So the odds aren't going to be genuinely reflective of any chance they have of winning. They probably have the best player in the tournament in Jude Bellingham, but there are serious issues in goal and at the back. Bellingham is the best player in the tournament (probably) but the England squad isnt the best squad. Puts an awful lot of pressure on one or two guys to carry them.
WOuld be intresting to see stakes by country and people also forget bookies are so interconnected to markets the UK money could well drive the price but that sets exposire worldwide

France are winning anyway and thats were my cash is going

Already plenty of info regarding this on the thread.

I think they are favourites. Their squad is the best for sure in my opinion.

Remains to be seen if they choke or not... they were incredibly unlucky to go out against France in the World Cup

Back