England favourite to win the Euros - is this fair?

Their squad is outrageous. They now have a better squad than France in my opinion. I think they have better forward players and Frnace have a better Defence.

The odds on the top few sides are always terrible value when you think of how tight knock out games usually are, they should not fear anyone and do have a genuine chance to win it but as always with England there is the fear of penalty kicks. For some strange reason i think Scotland are going to do well as long as we dont get battered in what is a very tough opener.

All UK bookies have England odds on favourites to win the tournament out right.

I guess it just depends on money laid, but I'm sceptical given who they have in charge, don't want this conversation to be a pile on with Southgate, but he's far too 'safe' to be the man to lead to England to glory, so my question is, do France and Spain stand a better chance to win, being in Germany, does Tam Muller have his final swan song?

I think England have some of the best talent in the world in their XI, just not sure they will get it done.

Thoughts?

It’s fair players wise…not manager wise.

They have the players certainly, but they'll end up playing that boring walking football rather than cutting loose

Them and France look a level above the rest. Could come down to a possible semi-final between the pair.

There's not much evidence to suggest that Southgate is capable of beating other top teams. He's mostly come up short when up against similar quality. I'm not convinced he is astute enough to make the most of the attacking quality he has at his disposal. But they are stacked going forward and have a real chance.

I think talent wise, we have the chance to go the whole way, but feel anything less than getting to the final would be disastrous

What makes you think the French are past their prime? Loads of players probably reaching their peak ages of 26-28 within their squad.

Forwards to choose from for example Mpabbe is 25, Thuram is 26, Dembele is 26, Mauani is 25 and Diaby is 24.
Not a bad selection. :p

If the draw pans out as per the favourites win their groups & progress, England will meet France in the semis, unlike the quarters in Qatar.
The tournament winner comes from that fixture I reckon.
I sincerely hope negative Nigel takes the handbrake off the team, like he did at Hampden last September.

What makes you think the French are past their prime? Loads of players probably reaching their peak ages of 26-28 within their squad.

Forwards to choose from for example Mpabbe is 25, Thuram is 26, Dembele is 26, Mauani is 25 and Diaby is 24.
Probably not enough of them playing in the Premier League to be afforded the respect they deserve, that’s in spite of many of them having actually won these big tournaments.

Probably not enough of them playing in the Premier League to be afforded the respect they deserve, that’s in spite of many of them having actually won these big tournaments.
Saliba is 23, Camivinga is 21, Tchouameni is 24.

So the spine of the France team for the next 4/5 tournaments possibly all in their early to mid twenties. No idea how anyone can claim they are past their peak tbh.

Reactions: WLF
Englands record under Southgate reads semi final, runner up, quarter final.

In that time Germany have had two group stage exits and a last 16,
Italy have one trophy plus two where they failed to qualify.
Netherland failed to qualify for one, a last 16, and a quarter final.
Portugal have two last 16s and a quarter final.
Spain have two last 16s and a semi.

Only France have a better record, who have had a really strong squad for a long time now. While I accept the argument that he hasn’t got his hands on silverwear, Southgates record stands up against most and certainly any historic England manager.

Success at tournament football requires a big slice of luck - fitness of players, luck of the draw, timing of form, matches hinging on one moment. He’s had that in some areas and not in others.

I don’t necessarily agree with the ‘handbrake’ off comments either. He bowed to that public pressure in the last two friendlies and you saw the results. They don’t have the defence to do that. He will need to go with two deep midfielders to protect the back 4 and that will affect what he can do at the top end. Put a peak Rio Ferdinand in that team and they would walk it!

Englands record under Southgate reads semi final, runner up, quarter final.

In that time Germany have had two group stage exits and a last 16,
Italy have one trophy plus two where they failed to qualify.
Netherland failed to qualify for one, a last 16, and a quarter final.
Portugal have two last 16s and a quarter final.
Spain have two last 16s and a semi.

Only France have a better record, who have had a really strong squad for a long time now. While I accept the argument that he hasn’t got his hands on silverwear, Southgates record stands up against most and certainly any historic England manager.

Success at tournament football requires a big slice of luck - fitness of players, luck of the draw, timing of form, matches hinging on one moment. He’s had that in some areas and not in others.

I don’t necessarily agree with the ‘handbrake’ off comments either. He bowed to that public pressure in the last two friendlies and you saw the results. They don’t have the defence to do that. He will need to go with two deep midfielders to protect the back 4 and that will affect what he can do at the top end. Put a peak Rio Ferdinand in that team and they would walk it!
I agree that international football often comes down to fine margins some of which are outwith the manager's control. But I reckon the difference is that Southgate has benefited from far easier draws than his predecessors.

In 2018 it was Colombia and Sweden, after a walkover group with Panama and Tunisia.

In 2020 it was Germany, Ukraine and Denmark.

In 2022 it was Senegal.

During those tournaments he has faced Belgium twice (lost both), Croatia (lost), Italy (lost), France (lost). Now we could make an argument about Germany in 2020 being a 'top side', but they were at a low ebb having been papped out in the group stages in 2018. But otherwise there isn't a single top side that Southgate has defeated in a major tournament.

I agree that international football often comes down to fine margins some of which are outwith the manager's control. But I reckon the difference is that Southgate has benefited from far easier draws than his predecessors.

In 2018 it was Colombia and Sweden, after a walkover group with Panama and Tunisia.

In 2020 it was Germany, Ukraine and Denmark.

In 2022 it was Senegal.

During those tournaments he has faced Belgium twice (lost both), Croatia (lost), Italy (lost), France (lost). Now we could make an argument about Germany in 2020 being a 'top side', but they were at a low ebb having been papped out in the group stages in 2018. But otherwise there isn't a single top side that Southgate has defeated in a major tournament.

If you look at England in the full history there haven’t been many, who has their been this century? Argentina in 2002? Germany were poor in 2000. Before that where do we go - Holland in 96? These are all group matches. It’s not a new trend at the end of the day.

In answer to the question - Wouldn’t put England as favourites over France but very little in it.
It looks like, it should be a fantastic, open tournament some great players and all of the favourites have some weaknesses in defense.
No real value in outright winners at mo, Germany possibly best value, they have home advantage and with some fantastic in form young players - outwith options of sitting midfielders, Kimmich, Gundogan, there attacking midfield three, Jamal Musiala, Wirtz out left, and Sane on the right, with Fullkrug through the middle.

Havertz (still only 24 by the way) and likely to be on the bench?. Only slight issue is there manager appears to be undecided on best formation (like Southgate).

All UK bookies have England odds on favourites to win the tournament out right.

I guess it just depends on money laid, but I'm sceptical given who they have in charge, don't want this conversation to be a pile on with Southgate, but he's far too 'safe' to be the man to lead to England to glory, so my question is, do France and Spain stand a better chance to win, being in Germany, does Tam Muller have his final swan song?

I think England have some of the best talent in the world in their XI, just not sure they will get it done.

Thoughts?
They are always the favourites going into tournaments, I guess they reached the final of the last Euros so are in with a shout definitely.

In answer to the question - Wouldn’t put England as favourites over France but very little in it.
It looks like, it should be a fantastic, open tournament some great players and all of the favourites have some weaknesses in defense.
No real value in outright winners at mo, Germany possibly best value, they have home advantage and with some fantastic in form young players - outwith options of sitting midfielders, Kimmich, Gundogan, there attacking midfield three, Jamal Musiala, Wirtz out left, and Sane on the right, with Fullkrug through the middle.

Havertz (still only 24 by the way) and likely to be on the bench?. Only slight issue is there manager appears to be undecided on best formation (like Southgate).

Englands price won’t drop much if all the big guns are in when it comes to the quarters, that’s what people forget - very hard to see England having any problems to that point, others have trickier routes hence the bigger price.

They are always the favourites going into tournaments, I guess they reached the final of the last Euros so are in with a shout definitely.

Someone else said this, when were England favs for another comp? Even at the last Euros it was co favs with a few at 5/1. No idea where this comes from.

No, very seldom do it in this context.
Don’t mind when it’s an opinion that’s wrong though
The opinion isnt wrong ,the words could have been phrased better, with the emphasis being put on Southgate,simply put England have players that can produce an attack minded game , but are playing a defensive tactic from a manager that's too inept to understand his teams strengths.

I can’t see by France. I expect Germany to have a good Euro’s as well even though their form has been dreadful,

England will bottle it as usual,

The opinion isnt wrong ,the words could have been phrased better, with the emphasis being put on Southgate,simply put England have players that can produce an attack minded game , but are playing a defensive tactic from a manager that's too inept to understand his teams strengths.
Sorry bud.
I did intend putting a smiley emoji at the end of that line.
Used the phone emojis that don’t work.

In Bellingham, Kane and Foden, they have three truly top notch attacking players.

It's what is all around them that matters.
For all their talent I think what they really lack is that midfielder that controls a game. Speeds it up when needed and slows it down when needed. It seems to be the type of player that we just don’t ever seem to produce in Britain. Players like your Rodri’s, Modric’s etc.

They may well go on and win it but I certainly don’t get the if they don’t win it it will be a disaster thing at all. France are a very very good side, the Germans at home will be in chance, Portugal are littered with very talented players, Spain if someone comes into the tournament and can score the chances they will undoubtedly create as they control games will all be in with a chance.

For all their talent I think what they really lack is that midfielder that controls a game. Speeds it up when needed and slows it down when needed. It seems to be the type of player that we just don’t ever seem to produce in Britain. Players like your Rodri’s, Modric’s etc.

They may well go on and win it but I certainly don’t get the if they don’t win it it will be a disaster thing at all. France are a very very good side, the Germans at home will be in chance, Portugal are littered with very talented players, Spain if someone comes into the tournament and can score the chances they will undoubtedly create as they control games will all be in with a chance.

Suppose Maino is the big hope to have the ability to do that.

Capable and have the talent and players to do so. However, you could say the same about France and can't rule out the Germans on home soil. I think England are in the conversation but having the label of "favourites" is a bit flattering imo. Should be the French.

Italy, Portugal and Spain also dark horses and can't be counted out.

They need a runner to play left side which is either Watkins, Gordon or rashford but he’ll try shoehorn Foden or palmer there I think.

France are the best team on paper.

The Germans will be strong as well, midfield of Kroos gundogan wirtz musiala and sane is as strong as any
Shoehorn Foden arguably the best player in Europe this season

Can't see past the Germans at home
I think your post shows that the German team have really fallen since winning the wc.

The fact it took so long for them to be mentioned in this thread tells you all you need to know. It's the worst German team in my lifetime and back in the day they would have been in amongst it, no matter what country it was held in.

they are one of only a few teams capable of winning it. With Bellingham, foden, Kane and saka teams are probably going to have to score 3 to beat them

As usual ?
They were in the final and lost on penalties after getting to semi of the World Cup hardly bottling eh
Very true, I was harsh.

They just fail at the final hurdle once they come up against top class opposition.

I wish them the best of luck, however, I believe they will come up short again.

Picture this with England with Kane up front followed by Foden Saka and Grealish and behind them Rice and Grealish

England could be playing Spain/Croatia/Italy (2nd place from this group) in the QFs with France in the semi-finals. I'm not sure they're getting through both of those ties.

Ultimately, it's a very fine margin that could be determined by how bold Southgate is...or isn't.

England have genuinely incredible players and should be so much better than they are. Certainly with the manager they have now they're winning %^*& all.

The Euros are usually hard to predict. Italy were long odds to win the last one as were Portugal for the previous one. Denmark and Greece have both won it as rank outsiders.

Back