England v Cameroon in 1990.

Gauche.

The Italia 90 game, extended highlights on ITV4 at 8 o'clock.
For those who like football from another era.
This was an excellent knock out World Cup game.
I have a nice memory of watching this game at my Grandparents with a lot of family members, in the days when watching big events were more of a social occasion.
Believe it or not youngsters, we only had four channels in those days.
From memory the game could have went either way, Cameroon seemed unable to press their advantage when they went two one up.
Two excellent teams.

I have a nice memory of watching this game at my Grandparents with a lot of family members, in the days when watching big events were more of a social occasion.
From memory the game could have went either way, Cameroon seemed unable to press their advantage when they went two one up.
Two excellent teams.
We had more than 4 channels in 1990

Italy 90 was the last of my childhood World Cups, we were playing football at the bottom of our multi when a roar went up, a couple of minutes later another roar. Football was abandoned and we bombed up stairs to see the English go out.

I think everyone vastly underestimated Cameroon before the match.
Well the English media certainly did

I can remember the pre-match buildup being extremely condescending and borderline racist :))

It was a brilliant game, made memorable by my grandpa cheering on Cameroon:))

Even though they beat the defending champions Argentina in the opening match. Imagine how underestimated they were pre-tournament

They might not have been that much to be fair, I was 9 for Italia 90 - it’s first one I remember. Just basing it on this:

Someone must have respected the current African Nations Champs you would think.

Edit: actually they were that when qualifying started as they won it in 88, had a stinker in the March 90 one!

Mad thinking they had that so close to the World Cup.

Loved that Cameroon team, what a story if they’d gone on to win it but they were plagued be defensive naivety.

“A practical bye to the semi-finals” is a diagnosis attributed to Howard Wilkinson, then the Leeds manager, scouting in Italy for the English FA. Watching the game back, it appears Robson took “Sgt Wilko” and such dismissiveness to heart. England only just prevailed in a match that very nearly escaped from them. “Some fucking bye that,” a relieved, exhausted Waddle told Wilkinson in the immediate aftermath. :D

Gazza was only 23 at the time and one of the best players in Europe but that infamous match vs West Germany when he got booked turned out to be the last game at a world cup he ever played.

Best world cup ever. Melted my Italian top trying to iron it. Bought another one so my mum didn't know. Legit haven't used an iron since :))

Two excellent teams.

I remember watching Italia 90. Looking back now it was strange how many of the games the stadiums had large parts that were empty

Gazza was only 23 at the time and one of the best players in Europe but that infamous match vs West Germany when he got booked turned out to be the last game at a world cup he ever played.
Didn't realise that was his last game at a world cup which is mad when you consider how good he was. England didn't qualify for the world cup in 94 and I think it was Hoddle who dropped him from their France 98 world cup squad.

Didn't realise that was his last game at a world cup which is mad when you consider how good he was. England didn't qualify for the world cup in 94 and I think it was Hoddle who dropped him from their France 98 world cup squad.

Think Hoddle was right to drop him tbh.

By 98 he was becoming a liability.

Back