Euro 2024 rule change

So if your captain is a goalkeeper, he's to run the length of the pitch to contest a decision in the attacking third?
Or maybe just don't contest the decision?

Apart from that time Craig Thomson cheated in the League Cup Final, has a referee ever changed their mind after a player shouted at them?

Be very interesting to see how this is adhered to. Not easy for players to contain their emotions and dishing out potentially five or six bookings at one incident for a group of players running up to complain...

This should be a good idea in principle but players who have spent their careers giving referees scant respect will find it well nigh impossible to break this habit overnight.

Always thought this was a bit of an unofficial rule anyway, referees at boys club level for as long I can recall have always said pre-match that any points or concerns should come through the captain only.

Anyway, good it’s now an official change. Less pressure on referees can only lead to more decisions being correct, due to less influence.

Player and coaches behaviour towards refs is appalling at times.

Last edited:
Another nonsense. They are trying to make a simple game very hard.
More pressure on referees.
It's not a nonsense. Players actions towards refs are an absolute disgrace at times. The biggest issue with it is setting an example to players further down the ladder. Referee's at grassroots are treated terribly and it doesn't help when you see professionals setting a standard that makes it acceptable.

TBH should be Captain and Vice Captain, captain could be halfed from a bad tackle and receiving treatment while nobody else can talk to the ref about it?

"More pressure" by having only 1 player, the captain speak to the ref? :rolleyes:
It's about time, as there are too many instances of groups of players surrounding the ref

You're correct, mate.

Clough had some tough players in his teams, but he never wanted them ever to be compared to Leeds United.
When Milan were chasing the title a couple of years ago a referee blew the whistle just before they scored and it cost them points. It was a terrible mistake and the players were raging. Ibrahimović and a few others went to console the referee who was in tears and Zlatan spoke to his team telling them mistakes happen and to lay off him. That's what I would expect from a true professional and captain.

It's not a nonsense. Players actions towards refs are an absolute disgrace at times. The biggest issue with it is setting an example to players further down the ladder. Referee's at grassroots are treated terribly and it doesn't help when you see professionals setting a standard that makes it acceptable.
I would agree with your thoughts on young referees at a lower level but I don't think players at that level take anything from professionals above them.
A fair bit of abuse to younger refs comes from the spectators.They should be protected from that.

Or maybe just don't contest the decision?

Apart from that time Craig Thomson cheated in the League Cup Final, has a referee ever changed their mind after a player shouted at them?

Then why not make the rule that nobody can approach the ref on the pitch or they're carded?

Oh we'll make it the captain, but if that's the keeper than it's another arbitrary player.

I agree with in principle and have sympathy for the refs, but this isn't going to work as well as they'd like.

"More pressure" by having only 1 player, the captain speak to the ref? :rolleyes:
It's about time, as there are too many instances of groups of players surrounding the ref
When you have referees as bad as ours then that will always be the case.

I would agree with your thoughts on young referees at a lower level but I don't think players at that level take anything from professionals above them.
A fair bit of abuse to younger refs comes from the spectators.They should be protected from that.
I remember many years ago I went to an EK Thistle v Irvine Meadow match. Just before half time the ref chopped off what looked like a legitimate Irvine goal. Blows up for half time and the Irvine Meadow support are surrounding the ref as he’s walking to the changing room. He looked like he was going to burst into tears and couldn’t get to the dressing room quick enough. I did feel sorry for the ref at the time, now I wish he’d been lynched.

The ref that day, one Kevin Clancy.

Surely the current provisions for dealing with dissent could be applied without the need for a further change to the rules.

What constitutes approaching the referee? Is shouting "our ball ref" going to be an offence or asking how long is left?

Another rules change for the sake of it which with the current financial state of so many clubs feels a bit like moving the deck chairs on the titanic.

Then why not make the rule that nobody can approach the ref on the pitch or they're carded?

Oh we'll make it the captain, but if that's the keeper than it's another arbitrary player.

I agree with in principle and have sympathy for the refs, but this isn't going to work as well as they'd like.
I don't see why it has to be the captain to be fair.
No reason why the referee can't just be told which player is the one who is allowed to approach him and that's that.

If the team with the keeper as captain can choose another player, why can't all teams?

Aside from those obvious flaws, I do hope this works and the refs are strong enough to enforce it.

For this tournament only?
Or all football going forward?
Another rule that will not be enforced in Scotland for certain clubs.

I remember many years ago I went to an EK Thistle v Irvine Meadow match. Just before half time the ref chopped off what looked like a legitimate Irvine goal. Blows up for half time and the Irvine Meadow support are surrounding the ref as he’s walking to the changing room. He looked like he was going to burst into tears and couldn’t get to the dressing room quick enough. I did feel sorry for the ref at the time, now I wish he’d been lynched.

The ref that day, one Kevin Clancy.
Well, Irvine Meadow do play in the same colours/strip as us, right down to black and red socks.
Clancy was obviously triggered.

I like this, some of the recent rule changes have been good like extra stoppage time & more subs...Bring on harsher timewasting rules as well :)

Kenny Miller was talking a lot of nonsense for the most part on Saturday, but he was spot on about Colum's poor attitude. The way he communicates with players is dreadful.
Respect is a two-way street, and I get that some players can go over the top with their remonstrating, but Collum was snarling at our players just for talking to him. How his he supposed to gain respect from that approach?

The EPL refs, who still make mistakes, are at very professional in their dealings with players. Very respectful, and I personally think players respond to that.

That's already a cautionable offence.
I understand that but a caution is not normally given until a previous warning has been issued,unless,of course there was a serious issue.
Would a first protest from a manager automatically get a caution.

Surely the current provisions for dealing with dissent could be applied without the need for a further change to the rules.

What constitutes approaching the referee? Is shouting "our ball ref" going to be an offence or asking how long is left?

Another rules change for the sake of it which with the current financial state of so many clubs feels a bit like moving the deck chairs on the titanic.
You only have to look back to the Gascoigne incident when he flashed a card at the ref after he'd dropped it to let you know how some refs would react.

Nah, they're making it easy on refs after players have gone beyond the levels of what is acceptable.

I'm in full agreement with this rule change. There's no need for 10 players surrounding a ref when a decision has been made...even less so when VAR is now reviewing things too.

The game being broken up by timewasting like surrounding refs and spending time on the deck is a huge issue. The less players get away with having gamed it for years the better.

Back