Euro 2024 rule change

I would agree with your thoughts on young referees at a lower level but I don't think players at that level take anything from professionals above them.
A fair bit of abuse to younger refs comes from the spectators.They should be protected from that.
I go to a lot of junior games and I can't understand why anyone would be a referee. If it's stopped at the top level it would be easier to stop at the lower levels.

is that prick McGregor the Scotland captain?

we all know he likes to ref games and gets away with it here, would be glorious for him to get sent off and then blame the ref for it

Nah, they're making it easy on refs after players have gone beyond the levels of what is acceptable.

I'm in full agreement with this rule change. There's no need for 10 players surrounding a ref when a decision has been made...even less so when VAR is now reviewing things too.

The game being broken up by timewasting like surrounding refs and spending time on the deck is a huge issue. The less players get away with having gamed it for years the better.
You're way out with the VAR concept as most protests are done before VAR steps in. You rarely,if ever,see players protest a VAR decision.
That's left to the supporters groups like this. :p

Nailed on to be one of those “directives” that they enforce at a tournament for the first couple of group games but by the knock outs has been completely forgotten about.

Another nonsense. They are trying to make a simple game very hard.
More pressure on referees.
Absolutely nothing negative about this rule.
As for it being more pressure on the referee, I’d suggest it’s the opposite.
Not only will it reduce the amount of players in their face, it’ll be easy to simply booked those who are without fear of criticism.
Of course, except from Celtic.
My only demand here is that it’s every player, every time and not, as happens with over celebrating goals, only the scorer who gets the booking.

I actually like it.

If it was aplied in ascotland the mentally challengeds would have 10 players booked every throw in that goeas against them
lets not derail the thread but I've no doubt it would be applied discretionally up here depending on the shirt colour

Another nonsense. They are trying to make a simple game very hard.
More pressure on referees.
No it's not. Look at almost every team against us. Always 3 or 4 players in his ear after a tackle wanting a booking or red card.

About time that became an automatic booking - exceptions for celtc no doubt :(

No it's not. Look at almost every team against us. Always 3 or 4 players in his ear after a tackle wanting a booking or red card.

About time that became an automatic booking - exceptions for celtc no doubt :(
And there you have it.

Absolutely nothing negative about this rule.
As for it being more pressure on the referee, I’d suggest it’s the opposite.
Not only will it reduce the amount of players in their face, it’ll be easy to simply booked those who are without fear of criticism.
Of course, except from Celtic.
My only demand here is that it’s every player, every time and not, as happens with over celebrating goals, only the scorer who gets the booking.
And there you have it.

You're way out with the VAR concept as most protests are done before VAR steps in. You rarely,if ever,see players protest a VAR decision.
That's left to the supporters groups like this. :p

Aye, that's the problem though. They think they can still affect the refs decision doing what they do even with VAR.

it makes their disruption even worse knowing that VAR is making the call anyway.

This can't come quick enough for me.

Fergie teams at Aberdeen and United were notorious for this. Always surrounding referees and trying to intimidate them.

Just get the decisions right and no one needs to approach the ref, Impossible I know but we can but dream.

I can’t see that working. A corner comes in, a crowd jump for the ball, it hits an arm of a defender and 3 attackers see it, but the captain took the corner, so doesn’t see it. Do the players surround the ref and get booked only to be awarded the penalty by VAR?

This rule change is an excellent idea and I hope it stays for good

If I was a ref and some gobby cnut was in my face whinging about my decision I certainly would not react kindly to it, to put it nicely

It works well in rugby from what little I have watched of the 6 nations over the years

Rule makes sense for me. But surely vice captain of team should be allowed to approach in the event the team captain is the one who is down injured if on receiving end of a bad one?

Or maybe just don't contest the decision?

Apart from that time Craig Thomson cheated in the League Cup Final, has a referee ever changed their mind after a player shouted at them?
It seems that even with their errors shown to them via var they still won’t change their minds in our case

Back