Euro 24 - England Squad announcement

Surely SJB gets the nod. Played over 50 times this season with 25 clean sheets

No way can Ramsdale be called up ahead of him

Surely Southgate has to let the handbrake off this time

I said similar last week but thinking about it how does he do this without them being totally vulnerable against one of the top teams. The lack of a top midfielder to play next to Rice is probably as big an issue as the defence

Surely SJB gets the nod. Played over 50 times this season with 25 clean sheets

No way can Ramsdale be called up ahead of him
Think he might make it in the 30 man provisional squad. That will get cut but who knows what the final choice will be. Playing in the EPL I think he'd be a cert

I said similar last week but thinking about it how does he do this without them being totally vulnerable against one of the top teams. The lack of a top midfielder to play next to Rice is probably as big an issue as the defence

Yeah, they're best bet possibly to play with Bellingham a bit deeper beside him.

Eve

I'd drop Bellingham in beside him for the tougher tests, if they win the midfield battle then youd fancy them against most sides.

Nothing more frustrating than seeing them plod through the groups with Henderson or Phillips sitting in front of the defence with Rice!

I think that’s too attacking, considering the weak defence they have. Especially against a team like France.

Would make great viewing as a neutral though
Who do they play though? For all the talk about how great this England side is I personally don’t think it’s a very balanced squad. The lad Mainoo’s form seemed to dip towards the end of the season.

Then you are likely moving Foden out of position also which imo would be absolutely crazy on the back of the season he has just had. Bellingham is more than capable of playing a more disciplined role.

I’ve a feeling he will leave Grealish out of this.
Wouldn’t be surprised at that at all. Showed you the stats between him, Rashford and Gordon earlier on SSN and he has played almost 1/3 of the minutes Gordon has this season.

Do you think his mental bevy session last summer has played a part in limited game time this season? I actually wouldn’t be shocked if he left City in the summer either and he was brilliant last half of last season.

Said that ages ago. Starred for the U21s in the summer when they won a tournament and if you take your blue tinted specs off and look at it rationally it makes far more sense for a young keeper to go and get the experience rather than Jack who is now reaching veteran stages.

1. what happens if they have injuries/suspensions & they need Trafford to play given he was abject in the the top league

2. Butland is 31, not even close to veteran stage for a goalkeeper

I think one of him or Rashford won't go in the 26. Would have thought both would be in the squad today but maybe not if Bowen is as is being suggested.
Rashford is a certainty despite the fact he hasn't kicked his arse at Man Utd all season

one of Gareth's boys, need to reward him for it

Didn’t Trafford get dropped for Burnley for being shite after they spent a fortune on him?

1. what happens if they have injuries/suspensions & they need Trafford to play given he was abject in the the top league
I suspect they would play the 2nd choice goalie, or 3rd choice if they take 4.

Brazil took Ronaldo to the World Cup in 94 with no intention of playing him.

Wouldn’t be surprised at that at all. Showed you the stats between him, Rashford and Gordon earlier on SSN and he has played almost 1/3 of the minutes Gordon has this season.

Do you think his mental bevy session last summer has played a part in limited game time this season? I actually wouldn’t be shocked if he left City in the summer either and he was brilliant last half of last season.

Reminds me a bit of Ricky Hatton in that he could probably be so much better if he (could) just sack booze off.

I suspect they would play the 2nd choice goalie, or 3rd choice if they take 4.

Brazil took Ronaldo to the World Cup in 94 with no intention of playing him.

outfield i can see it happening
goalie? both 1 and 2 not fit to start so you have to play a guy who when facing senior players has been poor at best

Even if SJB gets called up, highly unlikely he will play, be better if he gets a decent rest and is ready to go when pre season starts

Front three of Kane, Saka and Palmer

Supported by a midfield 3 of Bellingham, Foden and Rice would be the ones he should be picking.

The defence is extremely vulnerable.

Front three of Kane, Saka and Palmer

Supported by a midfield 3 of Bellingham, Foden and Rice would be the ones he should be picking.

The defence is extremely vulnerable.

There are a few ridiculous midfield/forward line combinations going into this tournament. When you get to the business end a lot of it comes down to critical changes by the manager and I wouldn't fancy Southgate to tactically outthink a Deschamps, Spalletti, Nagelsmann or even Martinez tbh.

Last edited:
A lot of assumptions here that Rice will play as the 6. His real form for Arsenal has been based on Arteta moving him out of that position and playing more freely left of centre.

I don’t rate Southgate at all but he does have an awkward dilemma where 3 or 4 of his best players generally play in the same position and there are weaknesses elsewhere.

A lot of assumptions here that Rice will play as the 6. His real form for Arsenal has been based on Arteta moving him out of that position and playing more freely left of centre.

I don’t rate Southgate at all but he does have an awkward dilemma where 3 or 4 of his best players generally play in the same position and there are weaknesses elsewhere.
I agree with that. It’s a squad full of great players but how balanced is it?

Who will be the LB’s in the squad? Struggling to think of any other than Shaw and Inthink he’s actually injured?

A
Lot of pish this naming 30 man squads just for it to be cut again in a few weeks
After Gazza and the France 98 squad announcement debacle theyve tried to include everyone for as long as possible.

Keep the players jollying along until the tournament/summer holidays are right around the corner so everyone has something to do.

Who will be the LB’s in the squad? Struggling to think of any other than Shaw and Inthink he’s actually injured?
Gomez did well there for Liverpool when Robertson was injured, Trippier can play there too and Tyrick Mitchell has been part of squads recently.

Gomez did well there for Liverpool when Robertson was injured, Trippier can play there too and Tyrick Mitchell has been part of squads recently.

Gomez - bang average
Trippier - actively sabotaging his own teams now

has to be Mitchell surely

Back