Euro 24 - England Squad announcement

take away the incredible attacking options they have
a lot of players in there that either

a) are injured or just coming back - Shaw, Toney
b) are back ups in their clubs - Ramsdale, Gomez
c) terrible seasons - Trippier
d) barely tested at top level - Quansah, Mainoo, Wharton

Think both Mainoo and Wharton will take to International football like a duck to water. Both just have that mentality. Don't expect either of them to start either, Southgate will go with the safer option to play alongside Rice in Conor Gallagher.

Some outstanding talent in that squad, there is also, a fair amount of bang average players

I agree. The forward line is elite class and the midfield extremely talented. But the defence, Stones and Walker apart, is Premier League mid-table stuff. And the goalkeepers leave a lot to be desired between them. Man City up top, Chelsea at the back.

Think both Mainoo and Wharton will take to International football like a duck to water. Both just have that mentality. Don't expect either of them to start either, Southgate will go with the safer option to play alongside Rice in Conor Gallagher.

they might, might not

Southgate should play TAA with Rice
behind Foden Bellingham Palmer -> Kane

From our perspective it's far better that Butland have a summer to relax rather than spend it away with England where he wouldn't play a single minute. No doubt folk will say 'aye but we'd get more money for him if he was at the Euros' - nonsense. He would've been 4th choice goalkeeper.
Or he may think he has to play in England to be called up. Tough one.

Butland not selected.

Southgate was never going to pick a player performing well in every match in Scotland over an average performer in less than 50% of matches in the EPL - he wouldn’t want to face the questions / criticism.

He’s a politician who cost his country the last Euros and a place in the 2018 World Cup Final, and he’ll likely be the one who costs them this Euros as well.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw (if fit)

Wharton
Rice
Bellingham

Palmer
Foden

Kane

That would be something like my team. Wharton allows Rice to play where has been playing so well for Arsenal all season. As much as I appreciate Saka and as good as he's been for England in general, Palmer just has that X factor. Him and Foden would be playing much more centrally, not out wide getting chalk on their boots where they are not in the game at times.

Some outstanding talent in that squad, there is also, a fair amount of bang average players

At last, someone sees the truth. Their 15 forward players are outstanding, no argument but you can't play 15 forwards in one game! Their defensive & midfield 15 are bang average and without a few key players Pickford, Walker, Rice, Stones they would be so vulnerable. Lose them and they have next to no chance, and that is where in tight games, they often come undone.

At last, someone sees the truth. Their 15 forward players are outstanding, no argument but you can't play 15 forwards in one game! Their defensive & midfield 15 are bang average and without a few key players Pickford, Walker, Rice, Stones they would be so vulnerable. Lose them and they have next to no chance, and that is where in tight games, they often come undone.

Southgate can somehow play 15 right-backs in one game though, the magician.

Trafford has spent the season picking the ball out of his net and got dropped for being that bad. He might genuinely be one of the worst keepers I’ve saw at that level. How he’s even in the provisional squad over Jack Butland is madness.

Rashford definitely deserved to be dropped, he’s been awful.

Jordan Henderson is no longer good enough and Southgate instead of playing the expected old pals act has done the right thing.

I don’t think England will win it because of the manager but they’ll definitely get to about the semi final again.

I expect this to be Southgate’s last tournament in charge

as i said - i don't rate him either
but the other options are Trippier (utterly utterly done) & Shaw (out for months)

its like the Scotland RB issue
collection of truly awful options
The best option to probably play at left back for England is Joe Gomez because of all those situations.

Yeah Saliba, Konate and Mendy can't even get in the starting XI

Meanwhile Harry Maguire will be a nailed on starter for England whilst they deliberate over whether they shoehorn Tripper or Levi Colwill in at left back
Deschamps seems to have some bizarre issue with Saliba. He's the only person in the world who doesn't rate Saliba

Here we go again...only if you think the Premier League is the only league in the world. You do realize that no English teams filled with these players reached any Euro final this season? Just wondering.

England are favs all over the world mate, it doesn't mean it is a definite we win it but there are reasons we have a cracking chance - players and the draw for starters.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic of our chances but can see another semi-final/final defeat.

One part of me sees some of the worlds best players that are also in great form - Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Rice...

One part see's a lot of good/average defenders who you just wouldn't trust against the better sides - Gomez, Dunk, Konsa, Guehi...

And another part just too many unknowns, players who it might be one tournament too soon for - Mainoo, Wharton, Branthwaite, Gordon etc. Add to that the uncertainty surrounding Shaw and Stones who are vital to England but have missed a lot of football.

Trafford has spent the season picking the ball out of his net and got dropped for being that bad. He might genuinely be one of the worst keepers I’ve saw at that level. How he’s even in the provisional squad over Jack Butland is madness.

Rashford definitely deserved to be dropped, he’s been awful.

Jordan Henderson is no longer good enough and Southgate instead of playing the expected old pals act has done the right thing.

I don’t think England will win it because of the manager but they’ll definitely get to about the semi final again.

I expect this to be Southgate’s last tournament in charge

With a good manager they should be winning it

Southgate is truly terrible. It will be proven once again when he moves back into club management and is fired in 6 months. The guy is an absolute joke

Playing McGuire just to be stubern when he was playing like a non league player and not getting a game for Man Ure proves this.

With a good manager they should be winning it

Southgate is truly terrible. It will be proven once again when he moves back into club management and is fired in 6 months. The guy is an absolute joke

Playing McGuire just to be stubern when he was playing like a non league player and not getting a game for Man Ure proves this.

You have to separate the Maguire you see for United and the one for England under Southgate though. Not saying he's ever been a world-beater, or even close, for England. But in general he's been solid, and has a good partnership with Stones. Certain players just play better for their country than they do for there clubs, and Maguire is one of those people.

Think over the next 12 months you'll see Branthwaite take his place anyway.

You have to separate the Maguire you see for United and the one for England under Southgate though. Not saying he's ever been a world-beater, or even close, for England. But in general he's been solid, and has a good partnership with Stones. Certain players just play better for their country than they do for there clubs, and Maguire is one of those people.
he's not allowed to walk out of the defence with the ball with England as much as he is with Man Utd either

Southgate knows his strengths so will just keep him for the defending rather than trying to be somebody who starts attacks when he has players for that

Curtis Jones (bench warmer at Liverpool) ahead of Harvey Elliot (first pick at Liverpool) seems bizarre
Elliot is anything but a first pick at Liverpool, comes off the bench for the most part. Is their super sub because he doesn’t look the best when he starts.

Him and jones are two different midfielders, jones holds possession better and plays a little further back than Elliot.

Overall I think that’s a decent squad of players. Wharton is a really good midfielder form palace. Gordon is a nailed on starter on that left wing position, should be given his form this year. Only weak position they have is left back due to shaw’a fitness.

Butland omission is baffling

He kept 25 clean sheets for us and saved 71.43% of shots

Meanwhile Burnley's keeper gets in… look how the stats compare:

Ramsdale: 64.29% (11 shots faced)
Pickford: 70.48% (166 shots faced)
D Henderson: 65.48% (84 shots faced)
Trafford: 65.7% (166 shots faced)

Butland omission is baffling

He kept 25 clean sheets for us and saved 71.43% of shots

Meanwhile Burnley's keeper gets in… look how the stats compare:

Ramsdale: 64.29% (11 shots faced)
Pickford: 70.48% (166 shots faced)
D Henderson: 65.48% (84 shots faced)
Trafford: 65.7% (166 shots faced)
No matter what stat you put, Scottish football is considered a joke in England.
No one playing up here, no matter how good they are, is going to get into the England national squad.
I think Jack thought that some good European performances might have been enough.
Southgate came to see him against the scum and even though he played well, he was not overly impressive that day.

looking at squad and who is classed as a forward, are they playing 3-2-5 lol

some great players but couple of injuries in defence/midfield and they are fcked.

he's not allowed to walk out of the defence with the ball with England as much as he is with Man Utd either

Southgate knows his strengths so will just keep him for the defending rather than trying to be somebody who starts attacks when he has players for that

Exactly. He's just in the team for his height. He does extremely well in both boxes. Obviously there will be times a quick and mobile striker makes him look silly but that comes with being a big lump. His partnership with Stones is excellent as they compliment each other so well. Obviously he's not and will never be John Terry, but for England, he's generally been fine.

Exactly. He's just in the team for his height. He does extremely well in both boxes. Obviously there will be times a quick and mobile striker makes him look silly but that comes with being a big lump. His partnership with Stones is excellent as they compliment each other so well. Obviously he's not and will never be John Terry, but for England, he's generally been fine.

This is why I think Branthwaite is a cert to go. Capable of causing real problems on corners as well, England always look dangerous at set pieces.

Back