FA cup replays - no more.

A bit of a shame really.

As has been said, "the magic of the cup" has been taken away. The minnows very rarely go far but they at least want to be around when the big clubs enter the mix and get that big pay-day. Getting a replay against them is as good as winning the cup for these clubs. Now that's been taken away because the big clubs (with massive squads) can't be arsed with potential extra games.

Sad day for football.

Maybe I'm missing something but why have EPL clubs got a say in this seeing as they don't enter the competition under the 3rd or 4th round? 1st & 2nd round replays should have no effect on them.

Then fly off to ridiculous pre season tours to play more games on the other side of the world. You can't want all the trappings that come with English football and then expect to play less.
But those tours are lucrative for them, a replay against Accrington Stanley isn't. All comes down to money for the big clubs.

But those tours are lucrative for them, a replay against Accrington Stanley isn't. All comes down to money for the big clubs.
Oh I know mate, but the governing body shouldn't be protecting them the way they do. The FA should be treating an Accy Stanley as they would Man City.

Long overdue.Should have been scrapped as soon as the advent of extra time and penalties came in.
Whether you are home or away is the luck of the draw for every team.
This poppycock of a wee team maybe getting a draw at home against a big team and then potential big gate money at the replay is romanticised pish.
Would they rather settle for a draw and a replay or actually win the game at the first attempt?
And there is the chance of the wee team being drawn away in the first place.

It’s a great comp in qualifying to be honest, as is the FA Trophy - always try and go to these ones myself.

I would make it all Premier League Clubs are away in round 3 and possibly round 4 - that is what they do in Germany in the early rounds. Simon Jordan was right that many people are on about the lack of cash rather than great memories and doing that would increase the chance of a good payday to me.

Going to be interesting to see what fans do here, we are terrible at showing solidarity on fan matters in England and these are the repercussions at the end of the day - Germans would protest and win, like they always do. Over here many will wait and see who they get in the third round I expect and then decide whether to boycott or not, has to be all in together at the end of the day.

Last edited:
However, the EFL statement, external reads: "The agreement which now sees the abolition of replays from the competition format was agreed solely between the Premier League and FA. Ahead of the deal being announced there was no agreement with the EFL nor was there any formal consultation with EFL clubs as members of the FA and participants in the competition.

"In September 2023, the EFL did initially discuss with clubs potential changes to the FA Cup format but only as part of a wider and more fundamental change to financial distributions. As is now clear, there has been no movement in this area since September.

The EFL statement added that: "This latest agreement between the Premier League and the FA, in the absence of financial reform, is just a further example of how the EFL and its clubs are being marginalised in favour of others further up the pyramid and that only serves to threaten the future of the English game.

"The EFL today calls on both the Premier League and the FA, as the governing body, to re-evaluate their approach to their footballing partnership with the EFL and engage more collaboratively on issues directly affecting our clubs."

EFL teams should boycott it or force change at the FA.
The FA is mea t to represent all clubs not just EPL.
Boycott is easier said than done.

The extra revenue from cup games can be massive for these clubs. Largely why they’re protesting.

Boycott is easier said than done.

The extra revenue from cup games can be massive for these clubs. Largely why they’re protesting.
I get that but no lower league clubs, no cup.
They have to make a stand. They surely have the power over EPL to vote fir change at FA

I get that but no lower league clubs, no cup.
They have to make a stand. They surely have the power over EPL to vote fir change at FA
A smaller cup with only the ‘big teams’ might just suit them!

Don’t think a boycott would work for the financial reasons. They absolutely should and likely will be pushing for big changes.

Better chance of progression on one night, better chance of a money-spinning draw in the next round.
Rarely does the small side win the replay, I'd imagine.

If every Premier League Club had to play away in round 3 you’d have a buzz and a half going. If you are drawn against them you are allowed to switch the fixture to the Premier League ground.

Last edited:
Some teams have treated the FA cup with disrespect over the last few years by playing weakened teams due to their focus on either the league or Europe , or both.

I like the German way of giving all the lower league teams a home draw against the bigger teams and see how it goes.

I’m not sure how you’d do it but I’d like to see County Cup winners given a place in round 3 automatic or some kind of regional comp that awarded that. Idea is from what Germany do with their regional cup winners - those finals generate some brilliant atmospheres and the reward of being in the Cup must spur that on.

There are so many things they could do that would increase interest and in turn increase revenue but people just say it’s against tradition, things have changed now - all businesses have to try and keep up in some way.

Better chance of progression on one night, better chance of a money-spinning draw in the next round.
Rarely does the small side win the replay, I'd imagine.
Not always about the win tho is it. Sometimes the replay at a bigger venue is worth its weight in gold.

Not always about the win tho is it. Sometimes the replay at a bigger venue is worth its weight in gold.

Give any Club who draws a Premier Leagure Club at home the option of switching it. That would ruffle a few feathers over what everyone was really after.

I'm sure the extended Champions League format would have something to do with the lack of available dates for replays
Exactly what “the big six” have said. And dropping their winter break and pulling the start of the season forward.

Bogging decision - it’s essentially a case of, fuuck off, the premier league is all that matters.

Hopefully their teams continue to get papped out like this week.

Football has really gone to shite when something like this is allowed to happen.

Go further, if you draw a lower division team, you’re the away team.

Like I’ve been saying pal if every Premier League Club had to be away in the 3rd round the interest would rocket in my opinion. You’d have many Clubs getting increased attendances in the earlier rounds as the Clubs would use them as vouchers for a 3rd round big tie.

I'm sure the extended Champions League format would have something to do with the lack of available dates for replays

That was my thinking also. Something had to give somewhere.

I thought they might have looked in to scrapping the league cup. I'm sure the EFL would've been more upset with that.

That was my thinking also. Something had to give somewhere.

I thought they might have looked in to scrapping the league cup. I'm sure the EFL would've been more upset with that.

I don’t think the EFL have told the truth here about not knowing, think a press release has now gone off their site or been adapted (I might be wrong there though). It was in the Daily Mail 4 week ago for example. They knackered up the EFL Trophy letting Premier League sides in, some Clubs get atrocious crowds for that since they did that - it’s been covered up by the high attendances they’ve had for finals really. This one is for the fans to fight, I have zero faith in the EFL fighting it.

If the ladys front bottoms from the Premier league want to create space in the calendar, then why not bin the international weekends...especially the meaningless friendlies..leave the tradition of the fa Cup alone.

Back