Fabio Silva loan will not be extended next season

Wonder where he will end up next. When you read about his younger days at Porto it sounded like he was going to be a very exciting prospect which is why Wolves took the gamble and paid the big bucks for him.

My thinking has been all over the place with him. To start with it was we will get 20 goals out of him but there is no chance we will ever be able to afford him. It then switched to he isn’t that good so maybe we can agree a reduced fee. It ended up with even if we got him for free I wouldn’t take him.

Worry is he just goes through the motions for five or six weeks, some might say that would be an improvement.

Last edited:
Seems like a nice lad but if he can’t cut it in the spl he won’t cut it in the epl.
Good luck to him, hopefully he smashes it the next few weeks

I honestly see him dropping down the leagues in the next few years, don’t see what see what he brings to the table
Back to Portugal is my guess.

Not good enough for the Championship or SPFL.

Made it lucky with a huge contract at Wolves I guess so he will be content enough

larry-david-faints.gif

The performance he put in against Benfica away was very impressive and if he could consistently perform at that level, I’d be all for him staying (although he’d probably then have “better” options). But he can’t. We can’t carry players who turn in a performance once in a blue moon.

The biggest worry for me with the Silva signing is how much Clement wanted him.

I'm sure there were a few stories about the lengths Clement went to to get him signed.

A bit of a worry for future signings for me.
Could just be the old story that he has shit players around him but I honestly don't think he is that good. Definitely not 35 million good.

I'm sure there were a few stories about the lengths Clement went to to get him signed.

All about context though. Look around Europe, even the elite clubs, there just isn’t any decent business done in January any more. If Clement/Koppen had a feeling that Silva might have been the best they could get (and that wasn’t unreasonable at the time), then you go all out to get him.

He apparently did well at PSV last season , although I think mainly used through the middle. Injuries to our wingers mean he has been used wide more often than not. He is clearly playing without much confidence at the moment.

Our midfield and forward line has been a mess all season, particularly since he arrived.

He's not been amazing but he's been surrounded by poor players who I think he finds it difficult to link with and read. You can see the frustration ripping out of him.

For me the same applies to the likes of Cantwell and Diomande - good technical readers of the game but don't have the quality of support around them to tap into that talent.

In the right team, a useful player as we saw in flashes - Benfica away as an example what he can be capable of when he is on it.

The thing is, you can see why Clement would've wanted him.

He's a big, physical, powerful player who runs himself into the ground and gives defenders a c@nt of a time. There's attributes there that make absolute sense and suggest the kind of player the manager thinks we need - and I agree with him.

The trouble is that for all Silva has those attributes, he's also a bit of a headless chicken with a generally poor end product. He's also (to resurrect a well-worn FF phrase) a giant, clanging poof who spends half his time rolling about feining injury, rather than being the bully I suspect PC expected him to be.

Wolves obviously paid a massive premium for his potential as an 18yr old. Shipped him out on loan to develop, but it’s just not happened for him.

I honestly see him dropping down the leagues in the next few years, don’t see what see what he brings to the table
He's still only 21. Plenty of time to develop. Certainly far from the finished article. The move to Wolves probably came too early for him, but if they're throwing silly money around, obviously he and his club will take it. Might be best going back to Portugal for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Was an extension ever anticipated?

He must be on a hefty salary and it likely isn't viable for us to be contributing significantly to it.

I’d argue that he’s been played out of position pretty much every game and that the bits of the jigsaw are there. However he’s not been able to put them together and what appears to be a dodgy attitude at times hasn’t helped. Anyway, we move on.

I think this loan spell in Scotland will do him well, plus still young and has talent. He will go on and have a good career....

When he first signed and a a qwick look at his stats a thought for a 35 million pound player his stats were poor had a feeling he wasn't gonna cut it

I remember folk raving about him online since he was around 15, just hasn't worked for him beyond youth level.

I can understand why we signed him given our limited January budget but he's no threat in any attacking position.

Centre half was a bigger priority for me than giving Wolves decent wages for a bench warmer striker.

No surprise but thank f**k Don’t think I’ve disliked a player as much since Michael O’Halloran

All the best to him but Wolves must have been watching some of his games and thinking "fvck we are going to lose a fortune on him".

Back