Fans being priced out of watching football

hard to argue otherwise but i'd say thats an English thing getting youngsters and the community involved .............. i go to Elland road 4/5 times a season and before the match club after club after club are getting shown round the pitch in front of fans maybe 20-30 minutes before kick off but i guess leeds keep aside 200-300 tickets aside for certain games for youth clubs from the area to attend.
I fancy a trip to Elland rd next season wether they make the epl or not.

The only thing I disagree with is “Clubs I believe, treat fans as consumers nowadays, relying on their loyalty to keep following the team no matter what”

Let’s be honest, they always have. This is not a new phenomenon. Almost every sports team in the world is run as a business, that’s the way it’s always been. We all love going to watch the Rangers and we definitely pay over the odds for tickets. There will come a point when, if prices keep rising, people will have a decision to make about whether it’s worth it or not

I was having the conversation the other day with a bear. With the challenge of getting tickets for Ibrox if you are a non ST-holder are we in danger over the next decade or so of losing young people to the support? I'm thinking about kids aged 10-18. If it's hard to get a ticket they might decide to support someone else (unless family influence is strong). When I was watching the Thistle / Airdrie game at Firhill there were loads of kids in the stand behind the goal. Reasonably priced for them to go these games.

Depends what you consider value I guess. Wrexham as an example have been in league 2 this season and some of their tickets are 25 quid. Conpare that to spfl, I paid 32 quid for the 5-0 Hearts game sat in the main stand. I consider that great value tbh though granted the game itself turned out to be worth it.
Genuine question because I don't know...how much are you being rushed for away games? Top end C*ltic and bottom end livingston. How much were away tickets for both those games?
I've only had Kilmarnock this season and IIRC it was around £30-35 for the tickets

Even when City were in the lower leagues they had huge crowds,same in the 70s with United.
People say City just spend money and win everything then casually ignore we done it in the 90s to bring in Gazza,Laudrup,Albertz,de Boer and co
There's no doubt that city have a lot of glory hunting fans now because of the success. That goes for every successful club. The hard-core that I'm used from when I started watching is a solid 26,000 fans as an average even in lower leagues. That's a decent fanbase.
Some people just can't look past 115 without any insight into what those charges are actually all about and use that to discredit everything that's actually incredible about the club these days.

In the late 80's Jimmy Reid, yeah that one interviewed Lawrence Malborough (sp??) then our chairman. They were sitting on his balcony overlooking L.A and Marlborough said there was more Rangers supporters in L.A. than went to Ibrox on a Saturday. He then said if the games could be beamed to them and other cities and charged say a dollar a game the money made would be amazing. He then said there could come a time when the TV companies would realise that the crowd was part of the game as extras and they could be allowed in for free or a nominal fee to help create the atmosphere. Unfortunately only one has come to fruition but for more than a dollar but who knows what might happen in the future if seat prices keep going up.
Nothing replicates match going experience ............

It is pricey and can be put down supply and demand of the game in question if sells out of not

There is also greed how some clubs are changing the way it sells to certain groups as well

My Man City season ticket costs £18 a game roughly. Any I don’t attend if they clash with Rangers I put on my mates City site face value or less. They always sell easily.

Can I be honest, as I’m the sole financier of my trips to Ibrox and I got a decent maybe 10-12 this year, I’m concerned about how I’ll afford this in future seasons. This is my last year qualifying for Juvenile prices before I get switched to adult prices, and my currently part-time employ doesn’t exactly pay me Rockefeller’s riches

The lower league 3pm games will likely change next season with so many games being televised though as the blackout still applies apparently

It’s not as many as people think though is it, been really poorly dealt with by the EFL and I think it’s affected season ticket sales. Some people seem to think their league 1 or 2 Club won’t be playing at 3pm Saturday most weekends, I reckon it’ll be 3/4 a season:

• 10 regular weekend games across the three divisions will be broadcast
    • Five Sky Bet Championship matches
    • Five matches across Sky Bet League One and Sky Bet League Two

City fan...I've been to the etihad twice this season. Actually been to Ibrox more. Big games impossible to get tickets for and even average prem games can cost 55-60 quid a ticket even in midweek games that are a pain in the arse to get to the stadium from the opposite end of Manchester where I live. It's a dear do to go and watch City now. After tickets you're looking at silly prices in the stalls for food n drink etc. Will probably be worse when the new fancy fanzone is built as well.
Fucking hell. Clubs think supporters are on footballers wages it seems. Imagine having 2 kids you take to the football too. Simply not affordable

I'm led to believe a Linfield season ticket costs £70 (not sure if this is full price or pensioner / juvenile). seems good value, even if the standard is shite.

The lower league 3pm games will likely change next season with so many games being televised though as the blackout still applies apparently
The EFL looked at Saturday 3pm been live but decided against with concern of losing ticket revenue

Yes, the blocked period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on regular weekends will remain.

This means there will be 26 games (seven in Championship, and 19 in League One and Two combined) in the Saturday 3:00pm slot, which will not be broadcast in the UK each regular weekend

Research suggests removal of Article 48 (and the broadcast of all games) could lead to a drop of up to £37m in attendance revenue, therefore that number needed to be factored into any offer that sought to remove it

Last edited:
if you have had an interest in a club where it means something its great , both goal ends stand for the 90 minutes constant singing etc

well worth a watch

This doesn't make sense - unless the stadiums are empty, fans are not being priced out

Some fans may be being priced out. But that's it

Depends what you consider value I guess. Wrexham as an example have been in league 2 this season and some of their tickets are 25 quid. Conpare that to spfl, I paid 32 quid for the 5-0 Hearts game sat in the main stand. I consider that great value tbh though granted the game itself turned out to be worth it.
Genuine question because I don't know...how much are you being rushed for away games? Top end C*ltic and bottom end livingston. How much were away tickets for both those games?
Celtic would be £54 if we had an allocation Livingston was £30

Celtic would be £54 if we had an allocation Livingston was £30
See none of that sounds that bad to me but maybe my pov is skewed by what I'm used to in Manchester.

54 quid for celtic as opposed to 77 quid to watch City v utd. And 58 quid to watch us against Sheffield utd. So our bottom rank tickets (fir adults anyway) are still cheaper than the OF.

Went to Elland Rd a few years ago, in the away end. Cracking old style ground, much better experience and general character than these identikit soulless modern stadiums.

Nothing has changed, the pursuit of profit is and always was the aim of the EPL from its inception, why are people surprised?
I agree with the principle here but the aim is money, not necessarily profit! The clubs are allowed to lose a collective £2 billion over rolling 3 year periods which makes a mockery of all the money they bring in - it'll never be enough.

See none of that sounds that bad to me but maybe my pov is skewed by what I'm used to in Manchester.

54 quid for celtic as opposed to 77 quid to watch City v utd. And 58 quid to watch us against Sheffield utd. So our bottom rank tickets (fir adults anyway) are still cheaper than the OF.
That is away games

For games at Ibrox the price is based were you sit in the ground for the season just past - slight discount on restricted views on those prices

Cat A - £54 Celtic - only one price

Cat B - £33-£46 Aberdeen Hearts & Hibs

Cat C - £31-£44 Dundee, Kilmarnock Livingston, Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone, St Mirren

As with most things in the UK, we are following the USA rather than Europe. Try getting tickets for a major league sports fixture over there to see where prices are heading here. Eye-watering.

You would think the cash the clubs get from outside sources TV sponsors and the likes they could make match tickets cheaper,It’s all about making players,agents and others in the high end of the game mega rich,
More the fools fans for paying for it.

That is away games

For games at Ibrox the price is based were you sit in the ground for the season just past - slight discount on restricted views on those prices

Cat A - £54 Celtic - only one price

Cat B - £33-£46 Aberdeen Hearts & Hibs

Cat C - £31-£44 Dundee, Kilmarnock Livingston, Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone, St Mirren
Yes I seen the price difference at Ibrox I think my ticket for PCs first game with us against Hibs was 46 quid sat in Sandy Jardine stand whereas Hearts in the main stand was 32 quid if I recall correctly.
I couldn't tell you how much it is for City away games for the top/bottom category games I've not had an away ticket in several years now.

Yes I seen the price difference at Ibrox I think my ticket for PCs first game with us against Hibs was 46 quid sat in Sandy Jardine stand whereas Hearts in the main stand was 32 quid if I recall correctly.
I couldn't tell you how much it is for City away games for the top/bottom category games I've not had an away ticket in several years now.
Away fan tickets in the EPL are capped at £30 no matter who the game is against

Some Clubs in lower leagues do on the day increases, to me they should be encouraging folk who might go last minute - not putting them off, especially when the place is half empty.

There's a small discount when buying South Shields tickets in advance rather than on the day. Not bank breaking amounts, but it's sill a price difference. Think its £16 in advance for tier 6 of the English football pyramid. I've been to 2 Shields games this year and enjoyed both of them. Once as a day out and one when visiting family in the area. £16 for tier 6 of the English system - price wise that's similar to SPFL League Two. But Shields are getting 2000+ at their games and are running a full time team. That's something that Caley Thistle in tier 3 up here won't be doing next season.

TV money makes such a massive difference, even in the lower tiers, because of how the English deals were structured.

It’s not just football, I got sent an email from the SRU asking me to buy a 4 match ticket for the autumn tests , price ranging from £110 up to £270 (£27.5 - £67.5 a game) all for basically friendlies.

Nothing replicates match going experience ............

Something I'm a firm believer in. Football is best experienced in person. Whether you're a regular or occasional attendee. Saturday morning rituals and routines. Pre-match catch up with friends. The game itself. Chatting with friends at half time and after the game. The match day experience has to be taken as a whole. Most of us will have grown up going to games with a father, a grandfather, an uncle or an older brother. How many folk have great memories of spending time with their family as they were growing up? A lot of that will be based on time spent at the football on a Saturday. Then there are the folk, particularly older or disabled fans, who many struggle to do an awful lot socially. Those folk may see their saturday at the football as a bit of a social lifeline.

A saturday afternoon at the football has the potential to be hugely positive for so many reasons.

We are not getting value for money that’s for sure, if we are serving up Celtic another title on a plate and domestic failure I think this will be the year the penny will drop and protests will start against the board.

Friend of mine has season tickets for Spurs. Two fairly OK seats halfway up the stand, but with the use of a wee suite before the game - cash bar etc. He's now £8000 per season for those two (and has to buy two - hospitality seats are only sold in pairs). He hasn't had his price for next season but expects £9000.

Now - this sounds ridiculous but through the scheme where Spurs resell the seat safely if you can't go along, he makes money on it. Arsenal tickets can go for £1500 alone. I was meant to take his tickets for the City visit before it got moved for the FA Cup semis - that would have been £500 for the pair.

Given he lives in Sweden and flies in for the games, the profit will pay his travel for the times he can go - but shows how the demand is always there.
Are you saying the club sell his ticket for Arsenal for £1500 and give him the money? Is that not the same as a tout hiking up the price outside the ground?

Is that cos you wanted 4 together?

You couldn’t even get a single ticket for the Wolves game through the official channels mate.

TBF, they refunded me for the Cityzens memberships straight away

There were loads available for double the face value on Ticombo etc but I just couldn’t justify £500 for a 1 off game at the time.

There's a small discount when buying South Shields tickets in advance rather than on the day. Not bank breaking amounts, but it's sill a price difference. Think its £16 in advance for tier 6 of the English football pyramid. I've been to 2 Shields games this year and enjoyed both of them. Once as a day out and one when visiting family in the area. £16 for tier 6 of the English system - price wise that's similar to SPFL League Two. But Shields are getting 2000+ at their games and are running a full time team. That's something that Caley Thistle in tier 3 up here won't be doing next season.

TV money makes such a massive difference, even in the lower tiers, because of how the English deals were structured.

Been there a couple of times so know what’s it like. Just think people should be encouraged and not dissuaded, I’m likely to have 3/4 pints as well so it’s their loss if they want to put me off going by adding £3 on the day.

Ticket income is one aspect Rangers can really use to their advantage. There will always be demand. It makes perfect sense for Rangers to sell at optimum pricing, because our TV deal is so shite.

It really would be a bit mental to sell tickets at a lesser price, knowing full well people will pay more, when you can’t afford to compete for the signing of players with smaller European clubs.
That is true. I suppose you could say we knowingly get ripped off for the product and accept to a degree that we are being charged a lot of money.

You would think the cash the clubs get from outside sources TV sponsors and the likes they could make match tickets cheaper,It’s all about making players,agents and others in the high end of the game mega rich,
More the fools fans for paying for it.
Why would they make them cheaper?
They'd be hoovered up by touts who'd make even more than they do now
Have a look on ebay at the amount of stuff signed by players for free being sold for stupid prices
The money is better going to the clubs than get quick rich guys who are nothing but leeches

City fan...I've been to the etihad twice this season. Actually been to Ibrox more. Big games impossible to get tickets for and even average prem games can cost 55-60 quid a ticket even in midweek games that are a pain in the arse to get to the stadium from the opposite end of Manchester where I live. It's a dear do to go and watch City now. After tickets you're looking at silly prices in the stalls for food n drink etc. Will probably be worse when the new fancy fanzone is built as well.
Have they put the prices up a fair bit then? I’m sure I paid about £5.40 for a pint of asahi last season.

Why would they make them cheaper?
They'd be hoovered up by touts who'd make even more than they do now
Have a look on ebay at the amount of stuff signed by players for free being sold for stupid prices
The money is better going to the clubs than get quick rich guys who are nothing but leeches
Better give your hard earned cash too greedy players and the leeches that are agents.

I was £130 for my son and I to go to West Ham v Spurs in April, it’s getting to stage where we won’t be going anymore

The finances in the EPL mean that clubs don't really rely on ticket income. They're international brands too, so there's no real reliance on a hardcore of regulars who'll buy season tickets, travel to away games etc. The EPL does very well from football tourists and people who take in the occasional game 2 or 3 times a year. It's not a football culture that I like. It feels a little soulless.
Exactly this. They money they get from the paying fan coming to games isn't what brings them riches, so there is no need to be rinsing them like this and pricing people who have been going for seasons out.

That is true. I suppose you could say we knowingly get ripped off for the product and accept to a degree that we are being charged a lot of money.
The product isn’t value for money, so I just think of the rest of it as a donation to trying to keep up with the rest of modern football.

I was having the conversation the other day with a bear. With the challenge of getting tickets for Ibrox if you are a non ST-holder are we in danger over the next decade or so of losing young people to the support? I'm thinking about kids aged 10-18. If it's hard to get a ticket they might decide to support someone else (unless family influence is strong). When I was watching the Thistle / Airdrie game at Firhill there were loads of kids in the stand behind the goal. Reasonably priced for them to go these games.
I was talking about that the other day as well with the guys in the work, not only Rangers but Celtic as well, we were all thinking the same that both clubs could eventually lose out on a up and coming generation, my grandson has been on the waiting list for a few years now, doesn't look like he will be getting one soon. In the meantime he and some friends have season tickets at Firhill. there is usually around 7 of them go to the game, 3 of them are what you would have called Rangers supporters, 2 Celtic supporters and 2 that have always been Thistle, thee OF kids still have and still ask for Rangers, Celtic tops, but I can see the signs of them all staying at Firhill

Last edited:
There seemed to be quite a few empty seats yesterday which I find bemusing. Is this people with season tickets not attending or due to the price of the tickets?

Until there is a genuine wages and transfer cap then the costs will spiral every year because we all want the best players at your level who will ultimately cost more. Outwith transfers like every other business in the UK operating costs have increased significantly with utilities, wages and materials all having gone up way above inflation so the money has to come from fans unless we are happy not to invest in the squad etc.

There seemed to be quite a few empty seats yesterday which I find bemusing. Is this people with season tickets not attending or due to the price of the tickets?
I honestly haven't seen that to be the case so can't offer a reason or explanation.

You can get a season ticket in Germany to watch Bayern for less than £400 and guaranteed to watch champions league football after Christmas

The matchday tickets at Ibrox seem to be a fortune for the actual product. Anyone who still thinks the club think more of us than mere customers are deluded.
It's well out of my comfort zone and has been for a while. I've adapted though, when I head to the mates bigot hut, I'm actually quite happy with that. Only costs a bottle of vodka.

It's well out of my comfort zone and has been for a while. I've adapted though, when I head to the mates bigot hut, I'm actually quite happy with that. Only costs a bottle of vodka.
Overall though I feel that if people are being priced out or, rightly, choose to do something different for the football with their mates it's a real shame that is what it's become.

Back