Fantastic new book about the history of the Orange Order in Glasgow

Italian Fire

Italian Fire is a novel based on the life story of Michaelangelo Florio, a 16th century Italian Franciscan friar who fled his native land to become a fiery Protestant preacher and pastor in London.

He also became tutor in Italian to Lady Jane Gray, the vivacious and intelligent young girl who was destined to become a heroic martyr after just nine days as Queen of England. Florio never forgot his young student, and dedicated to her memory his book - History of the life and death of the illustrious Jane Grey.

This dramatic tale brings to life Florio’s brave stand for Biblical truth, his fierce and uncompromising character, and his return to Europe where he became pastor of Soglio in Switzerland - the majority of the town’s inhabitants converted to Protestantism on Christmas Day 1552.

The author is Robert Watson - best known for his popular factual novels on the Scottish Covenanters - “Peden, Prophet of the Covenant” and on John Knox “Man of Iron”.

The book is available from the author for £13.95 + Postage = £16.

Please make cheques payable to “Robert Watson” and post to Robert Watson, Flat 4, 3 Victoria Road, Lenzie, East Dunbartonshire. G66 5AW.

Fountain Of Life

This book is short history of the Protestant enclave area of The Fountain on the West Bank of Londonderry in the 20th century.

The book is available for purchase here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203204392157

Split into chapters detailing the major historical, cultural and economic events over a 100 years it gives a flavour of life in the area and celebrates the victories and mourns the tragedies. Illustrated throughout by local artists. It’s a fine addition to anyone’s library.

The Bob Harte Memorial Trust is based in the Thiepval Gallery in the Fountain - the Gallery was formerly the hall of the Thiepval Flute Band but has been converted into a gallery and meeting space - several lodges from Scotland have in fact held lodge meetings in the Gallery by arrangement.

You can find out more about the work of the gallery on their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/ThiepvalGalleryBHMT

OKqbDx1.jpg

M0KdPHX.jpg

HGE0CPR.jpg

X3skqhk.jpg

mHn49P1.jpg

Fountain Of Life

This book is short history of the Protestant enclave area of The Fountain on the West Bank of Londonderry in the 20th century.

The book is available for purchase here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203204392157

Split into chapters detailing the major historical, cultural and economic events over a 100 years it gives a flavour of life in the area and celebrates the victories and mourns the tragedies. Illustrated throughout by local artists. It’s a fine addition to anyone’s library.

The Bob Harte Memorial Trust is based in the Thiepval Gallery in the Fountain - the Gallery was formerly the hall of the Thiepval Flute Band but has been converted into a gallery and meeting space - several lodges from Scotland have in fact held lodge meetings in the Gallery by arrangement.

You can find out more about the work of the gallery on their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/ThiepvalGalleryBHMT

OKqbDx1.jpg

M0KdPHX.jpg

HGE0CPR.jpg

X3skqhk.jpg

mHn49P1.jpg
Just love those paintings. I'm a lover of L.S. Lowry though and see them a wee bit in the same genre

Italian Fire

Italian Fire is a novel based on the life story of Michaelangelo Florio, a 16th century Italian Franciscan friar who fled his native land to become a fiery Protestant preacher and pastor in London.

He also became tutor in Italian to Lady Jane Gray, the vivacious and intelligent young girl who was destined to become a heroic martyr after just nine days as Queen of England. Florio never forgot his young student, and dedicated to her memory his book - History of the life and death of the illustrious Jane Grey.

This dramatic tale brings to life Florio’s brave stand for Biblical truth, his fierce and uncompromising character, and his return to Europe where he became pastor of Soglio in Switzerland - the majority of the town’s inhabitants converted to Protestantism on Christmas Day 1552.

The author is Robert Watson - best known for his popular factual novels on the Scottish Covenanters - “Peden, Prophet of the Covenant” and on John Knox “Man of Iron”.

The book is available from the author for £13.95 + Postage = £16.

Please make cheques payable to “Robert Watson” and post to Robert Watson, Flat 4, 3 Victoria Road, Lenzie, East Dunbartonshire. G66 5AW.
Will be ordering this forthwith!

http://clydesburn.blogspot.com/2022...1.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

That Census of Ireland 1901 & 1911 language question again

Posted: 13 Jan 2022 03:49 PM PST

This story got more coverage again over Christmas. Lots of us are still scratching our heads at the claims. I am not going to link to the news stories and commentary – far better to link to a subsequent, fresh, Facebook discussion by Barry Griffin who was the first to map the scale of the mysterious phenomenon in 2019, and whose maps I have posted here previously. As with all avenues of life, 'Irish' as an adjective does not only ever mean 'Gaelic' or 'Gaeilge'. We visit my in-laws in England many times each year – where on a recent visit my children were recently told "oh you all speak so Irish". Barry's maps are the key to unlocking the East Ulster, predominantly Antrim and Down, linguistic enigma, and he made a lot of sense in the Facebook conversation.

Robert Burns’ father’s theology booklet written to his sons. The Lutheran idea of Law and Gospel. Psalm singing in the home from “The Cottars Saturday Night”. Ayrshire c. 1770s

I would find to read more about the Scottish roots of the Orange Order. Is this book a fit? I have to do an essay for my history lesson concerning the Orange Order. Everything I know is that it was founded in Ulster in 1795 – during a Protestant-Catholic sectarian conflict. My friend told me to try here and I discovered it was created as a brotherhood sworn to defend the Protestant Ascendancy and the British Protestant monarchy. But the subject I have to write about is mainly the Scottish origin and the facts of its name. I am searching for details on the Ultius review service; however, I feel that I also need a book to have enough ground of information to write my essay.

Last edited:
Glasgow Orange County Programme 2022

A 48 page bumper edition majoring on Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee but also featuring major articles on the 450th anniversary of the death of John Knox, Orange gravestones in Nova Scotia, the Reverend Hugh Hanna and the Siege of Londonderry.

PURCHASE LINKS

UK - https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrange2022UK

EUROPE - https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrange2022Europe

CANADA AND AMERICA - https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrange2022CanadaUSA

REST OF THE WORLD - https://tinyurl.com/GlasgowOrange2022ROTW

Last edited:

A 48 page bumper edition majoring on Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee but also featuring major articles on the 450th anniversary of the death of John Knox, Orange gravestones in Nova Scotia, the Reverend Hugh Hanna and the Siege of Londonderry.

PURCHASE LINKS

Perfect!

District 49, Glasgow Soutside
Battle of Somme Commemoration parade, Thursday 30th June
Marshall 6.45pm Leave 7.00pm
Marshall at the corner of Maxwell Road and Barrland Street.
Band - Young Loyalists Pollok.
All welcome.

As is traditional on the 11th night in Limavady, County Londonderry - all the local bands come together in one large band to parade the town in a show of unity.

NEW STOCK ADDED.

PURCHASE LINKS

I posted that picture of me holding my collarette with the rosette in a private group and it’s ended up everywhere. The 3rd and 4th photos was after we received our blue degree, a night I’ll never forget!

The Ulster Bulwark is the magazine of the Evangelical Protestant Society and is filled with items of interest to all.

To receive a copy simply make a contribution towards the work of the Society by sending a donation to EPS, PO Box 306, Belfast, BT5 7WA

Marking The Sacrifices

Entitled ‘Marking the Sacrifices and Honouring the Achievements of the Royal Ulster Constabulary GC’, the book focuses mainly on the early years of the RUC, which replaced the disbanded Royal Irish Constabulary, and the period from the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement in 1998 to the creation of the PSNI in 2001.

Co-author Professor Stephen White OBE believes the book “will help people gain a deeper insight into the service and courage” of the men and women who came forward to join the RUC.

The Royal Ulster Constabulary was awarded the George Cross en masse for the devotion to duty it displayed and collective heroism of its members.

It’s lavishly illustrated which many photographs from the early years of the force - and a great addition to any collection - of particular interest to collectors is the appendix which lists the names, former occupations, army regiments, etc of the roughly 3,500 original members recruited in 1922 through to about 1927.

To obtain the book (£20 plus £5 p&p) you write with a cheque made payable to The Royal Ulster Constabulary GC Foundation, 65 Knock Road, BELFAST, BT5 6LE.

Or you can pay money into their account - 95-01-28, 31103024 - and then give them a call on 028-9070-0116 to give your postal address. Or email them at rucgcfoundation@nics.gov.uk

A service of Thanksgiving for Her Majesty the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee was held on Sunday 21st August in Cambuslang Park in brilliant sunshine.

The venue was the “Cambuslang Wark” - wark being the old Scots word for work - in 1742 a great religious revival swept the town and upwards of 30,000 flocked to the natural amphitheatre to hear the preaching of George Whitefield over seven or eight months with many being saved and converted to Christ.

The service was presided over by the Reverend Jason Lingiah, and after a welcoming address by the County Master Mark Kirkland, the worship started and would be marked by the hymns “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty”, “Amazing Grace”, “Blessed Assurance”, and “We have an anchor”. Brother John Campbell of District 54 also sang the metrical Psalm 124 “Now Israel May Say” without accompaniment.

The sermon was “A Royal Invitation” and was preached by Brother Reverend Ian Loughrin, a native of County Tyrone, taking the parable of the Great Banquet as his theme and using it to illustrate Her Majesty’s accession to the throne and her subsequent life of service to the Commonwealth.

The service concluded with the singing of the National Anthem and the return parade.

The Ulster-Scots Agency is working with the Andrew Bonar Law Memorial Project to install a commemorative bronze bust of Bonar Law that will be unveiled in Coleraine later this year. This is to mark the 100th anniversary of Bonar Law becoming Prime Minister and to recognise one of the founding fathers of Northern Ireland and only Ulster-Scots Premier.
The sculpture is by well-known artist Helen Runciman, who has recently completed commissions of two other famous Ulster-Scots, Sir James Craig and William McFadzean VC.
A limited-edition miniature of the Bonar Law sculpture (pictured) is available for sale, priced at £135 (plus P&P). Only 100 of these miniature sculptures have been produced and they can be purchased from www.andrewbonarlawmemorial.uk

Looking to order a copy of the book in the OP, Waterstones saying 3-4 weeks, is the link on the first post still best place to order Mark?

Yeah chief, the Glasgow brethren one.
You can have mine. If you attend Ibrox I will bring it up the next home game or arrange to get it to you. We are in the Union Bar most home games or can meet at Ibrox.

Last edited:
Last night a new bannerette was dedicated in the city of Londonderry to mark the 40th anniversary of the cruel murder of Churchill LOL 871 member John Olphert .

Family statement ref the 40th Anniversary since the murder of John Olphert
From Mark Olphert (Son)
18th January 1983

Mark states: “My Daddy was the best, he loved Mummy (Madeline) dearly and he doted on my older brother Peter and I. Family meant everything to him and he was determined to leave a legacy for us, he had a very strong work ethic and sound moral character, nothing came easy to him, anything he and we had as a family was hard worked for”.

“Dad worked for Courtalds Synthetics factory and BOC Gas and Gear in the city, he was a boilerman by trade but his ambition was always to open and run his own shop. This aspiration was borne within him when he acted as a messenger boy for Robinson’s shop based on Clooney Terrace”.

“We grew up in the Triangle Estate and were very much in the minority, we then moved to the supposed sanctuary of a strongly Unionist area of Nelson Drive and yet ironically it was here that my Daddy was stolen away from us, he had survived three murder attempts on his life prior to that point so had understood that he was a target”.

“He lived to achieve his dream of owning his own shop, it was opened close to our home in June 1982 and that Summer was probably the happiest Summer of my life, we were all so excited and also proud that a foundation for the future (as we saw it) was laid through the business being opened".

“At the point Daddy was murdered he had actually resigned from the RUC, he wanted to devote his future efforts to the shop and building the business so as to leave a legacy behind for his sons. He also wanted to provide the community in Nelson Drive with a much needed local shop. His resignation was to be confirmed one month after he was murdered by the Provisional IRA”.

“The Provisional IRA didn’t just murder a Policeman, they murdered a good man, a family man and a hardworking man, someone who was well respected across the community as was reflected following his murder when many Roman Catholic clergy spoke out against what had happened".

Mark added: “Dad was proud of his culture, faith and identity and was a member of the Loyal Orders, but he never, ever taught us to be bitter towards our neighbours, his view was that we are all people who have to live together and that we should help each other out, and live as a genuine community”.

“One of my treasured memories is laying in front of Dad on a Sunday night watching The Professionals TV Programme, a Policing and crime series, and I also loved spending time with him on family holidays, or having him teach me something new - my Dad was literally my Hero”.

“After Dad was murdered mummy tried to keep the shop going and with the support of wider family and friends she remarkably achieved this; more torment was to follow when the UVF then arrived to rob the Post Office which she ran from within Daddy's shop, that was also a very difficult pill to swallow - how dare they! Mummy was never the same after Daddy’s murder, part of her also died that day, Granda Olphert also died just 20 months later of a broken heart and a big part of me is still trapped as the 12-year-old boy who had his world turned upside down”.

“In 1988 just 5 years after Daddy was murdered I had a serious motorbike accident where I broke my back, today I am required to use a wheelchair almost full-time. My life is difficult because of all that but I am determined not to give up, I owe that to my Dad. Terrorists stole his voice, so I need to speak up for him”.

“I want to believe in Reconciliation, I really do but I don’t believe Irish Republicans are serious about it. Provisional Irish Republicans aren’t ready to meet with the son of an RUC GC Police Officer and to view me as an equal and as a human being. I want an answer to the question, what was it all for? Was it really worth tormenting me and so many other children and adults who have shared such lived experiences?”

“The Provisional IRA and Sinn Fein suggest that there was “no alternative” to their actions, this phony position empowers and justifies loyalists to claim likewise, that they were justified in carrying out their campaign of violence - let us be clear, none of it was right, it was all wrong and unjustified and in the absence of justice ever being served in this life, let them at least stop their pathetic, self-serving lies. What they did was neither noble nor courageous”.

Back