First memories of a Euro night at Ibrox.

Sure it was Juve in 95. Was sat near the front of the broomloan near the Juve fans. Remember the atmosphere being better than usual and when everyone thought we had scored up the other end it wad mental for a few seconds.

The ECWC quarter final v Torino in 1972.

Wee Tommy McLean's legs going like pistons down the right wing and crossing for Doddy to score the winner; John Greig having to change his shorts on the pitch; a philosophical Torino fan in the Main Stand shrugging and smiling down at the Bears in the East Enclosure; Cliff Richards' 'Congratulations' playing on the tannoy at the end of the game.

I started going in 1987/88 (Dynamo Kiev, Górnik and Steaua), but I was only 5. Strangely, my first memory of a European night at Ibrox is the beamback of the Katowice away game. The first actual European game I can remember being at is Bayern Munich in 89.

Rangers 2 Juventus 0, Sept ‘78.

What a start!
First game was a 2-1 loss to St.Etienne in 1975. Would have been 9, so don't remember much about it. Saw both the '77 games against Young Boys (1-0) and FC Twente (0-0). vaguely remember both games were dire.

Vividly remember the Juventus games as above. Can still picture Gordon Smith's header from our normal spot at the front of the Enclosure. What a victory that was and the fact I was there, I walked around school like a dog with two cocks the next day.

I'm not really too sure about this. I remember Borrusia Dortmund in 66 in the ECWC the season we made the final. Probably played with my toy soldiers re-enacting WW2 before heading off to the match:eek:.
Although I may have been at the previous round against Glentoran. Interestingly, the attendance for the first leg in Belfast was given as 40,000, in the 2nd leg at Ibrox the official attendance was 33,473.

I was also at the Borussia Dortmund home leg in November 1966, however what I didn't realise back then was that one of the ball boys in the Stadium that evening was FFs very own Number_Eight (Gordon Semple, who sadly passed away in January 2017).
Gordon told us many times of his part in our equaliser that evening, when he caught the ball as soon as it went out of play and with quick thinking he threw it swiftly to a Rangers player (Dave Smith I think!) who took a quick throw in, followed by a cross and goal for us.
Gordon's part in the goal obviously isn't in the match report but I'll give him credit for the part he played in it :) :)

Dukla Prague in 1981. We had blown it by getting beat 3 0 in the first leg

Dukla Prague, 1-1 I think. Early 80s. Big bro took me with a few of his mates. Sitting in the Govan but can't remember if front or rear. Only other thing I remember was watching big John McClelland, a hero of mine around that time.

Rangers 3 Inter Milan 1 1984/85 - the second leg.

How we went at them from the start - including big John McClelland barging around up front - and the bears right behind the team.

I was at that one, as well. East Enclosure.

I really though we might do it that night. Big John being switched up front caused chaos. :D

Anorthosis famagusta at Ibrox any help with the year? Think we won 1-0 we wore the red and white quartered top, and I think Gaza played?

5-1 Sturm Graz wasn’t my first, but it’s the first I vividly remember.

The noise was absolute deafening.

John Greig’s last match in charge. Rangers 2 Porto 1, in the pissing rain and the Girvan Lighthouse dropped the ball at a corner, giving them the late away goal that cost us dearly.

Levski Sofia in autumn of 1993. We win 3-2 but went out to a late screamer over in Bulgaria.

I remember that night being the first game of utter frustration. No cohesion to the play, looked flat and passed up some ridiculous chances all night (one that sticks out is durrant being clean through on goal and trying to square it but hitting it straight out the park).

I'd have been nine so the details are a little sketchy.

Home vs PSG is the earliest one I can remember, though I was taken to one or two as a wee guy (Grasshoppers Zurich in 96 I think was one).

Ronaldinho played for PSG and Ricksen sent off in a 0-0.

Still got the half and half scarf...

Rangers v Anderlecht a lifetime ago.Big Harold Davis chasing a Belgian player all over the park as the game was going on.Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen during a game.Even the big man burst out laughing when he realised what he was doing.

Levski Sofia in autumn of 1993. We win 3-2 but went out to a late screamer over in Bulgaria.

I remember that night being the first game of utter frustration. No cohesion to the play, looked flat and passed up some ridiculous chances all night (one that sticks out is durrant being clean through on goal and trying to square it but hitting it straight out the park).

I'd have been nine so the details are a little sketchy.

Scratch that. Todorov’s shot from nowhere in the last minute of the second leg was still a sickener.

Spurs 1963 I never missed many European games back then at home,years later I dogged school and went to Newcastle game away and my mam caught me all she did was
look for my scarf when I never came in after school,and all she said to me was Well ! me loast goodnight :)

Against Inter Milan quarter final of European Cup 1965 we won 1-0 but we got beaten at first game 3-1 at San Siro. I remember it was 7/6 (37p) for the terracing and we got our ticket back at turnstile because the game looked like it was going to put off due to snow and fog.

First memories were of the ECWC run in 67.........I was 8 & remember my Dad wakened me up to tell me that Willie Henderson had scored late on in Cologne put us through 4-3 on aggregate.

First game attended was the Stade Rennes home leg in 71-72, we were in the Main Stand at the Rangers end & my abiding memory was hearing the 'Wullie Johnston on the wing' song being sung all night! Like a few earlier posters, I made it to all the home games in our winning run & the Bayern game is one which will live with me forever and is possibly my greatest ever night as a Rangers supporter.

First was Parma in 99. Haven't been to one since Malmo 2011. Moving back to Scotland on Saturday, so hoping we can get past Maribor to at least get one in this season.

Rangers 2 Juventus 0, Sept ‘78.

What a start!

Mine also.

I know we quite rightly look at 1993 as being so close to a final but we had a real chance of lifting the trophy in the 78/79 season I thought (thought the hard work had been done against Juve and PSV and was looking ahead to a potential final against Forest). Gutted at the Cologne game.

CSKA Moscow in 2004.
I don’t remember much other than Novo scoring what I thought was a perfectly good goal, only for it to be brought back for a free-kick. We went out that night, while they ended up winning the UEFA Cup later that season. For the life of me I cannot remember who else we faced in Europe that season after Maritimo.

Not my 1st game but I loved the game against Stum Gratz ...we won 5-0 great atmosphere I was in the back row of the govan rear just remember atmosphere was electric.

Let’s be having your first Euro game memories. As I’m an official “auld arse” mine are from the 70’s

My brother in law told me that I was at the Vojvadina game back in 68/69 but I admit to having no memories of it. I remember the furore when we lost to Gornick home and away but wasn’t at the match.

My first memories were the Bayern game when the ref failed to spot a double movement at a free kick that cost us the tie. That was 70/71 IIRC.

Then of course we had the famous run up to Barca. I was at every home game that season, couldn’t go over as was too young and TBH we didn’t have the money anyway.

Rennes, I remember their fans up in the main stand making a bit of noise

Sporting – almost snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is my basic memory from that, 3 nil at half time to 3-2

Torino – that’s when I thought we might actually win it. Brilliant game

Bayern – sweet revenge for the previous year. Who can forget the goals and Sep Mair and Kaiser having a ding dong after Parlane scored! That’s up there with my best games at Ibrox.

Raise the roof tomorrow the lads and lassies that are going!
Bohiemians of Dublin. It was an education. 2 late goals. Craig Patterson and mate John McDonald

I'm told my first Euro game was against a team called DWS Amsterdam, but got no memory of the game apart from it was at night and I was late home!
First one I genuinely remember was against Rennes in the season we won the Cup Winners Cup.
Main memory is of us meeting a group of French fans and one of them giving the young dh some French coins. No idea what happened to that money.

Rangers 2 - 0 D.Kiev, Souness had narrowed the pitch, the most earth shattering atmosphere, a Falco tap in after Chanov dropped a clanger and a sclaffed Coisty header, our first European Cup match in 8 years.

Rangers 4 Sporting Lisbon 2 sometime in the 60's. Up 2-0 great then they got one back. Big Orjan Persson popped up with 2 of his "impossible angle" specials to seal the victory.

Back