Formation for cup final

Rightly or wrongly our Managers preferred formation for the players he currently has at his disposal is 4-2-3-1.

If you’re trying to second guess him then you need to fit your players into that formation because I don’t see him changing it this season.

I'd guess it will be same as we always put out.

A predictable 4 2 3 1 and get done in midfield and have 3 at least playing out of position and two or three cart horses starting.

As painful as it will be, the last 3 OF’s tell us that this is exactly what will happen.

The tranny shagger probably cant believe his luck when he plays us at the moment. We make it so easy for them.

Hearts & Killie have both beaten them twice, and yet we cant with theoretically more expensive & better quality players ?

If he doesn't step back & try to learn from them big Phil wont be our manager next June.

Personally i'd go a midfield diamond, but others suggestions also address your point too BTB.

Formation for cup final ??

He’s got two games to try something different before then

Tonight will tell us if he has learned anything at all !!

When we beat them 3,0 last season, they had their best midfield on the park.

We went with Jack, Lundstram, Raskin & Cantwell, with Fashion & Matondo up front.

It's incredible that Beale or Clement haven't tried the midfield 4 this season.

Baffling.
Especially when we have been missing all of our first choice wingers for a large portion of the season.

Formation for cup final ??

He’s got two games to try something different before then

Tonight will tell us if he has learned anything at all !!
We don't need to change against Dundee at Ibrox as they'll likely sit in, it's against them we had to change and stop giving them the freedom in midfield.

Butland
Tav Balogun Soutter Yilmaz
Raskin Sterling Diomande
Sima. Dessers. Silva

Thoughts?

I'd look at going 5-3-2 or 3-5-2

We don't have a lot of natural width. Tavernier is suspect defensively but can worry them going forward. So play a back 3 of Davies, Souttar and Balogun (if available) and play Yilmaz and Tav as attacking wingbacks.

Means Sterling can play in the middle of the park along with Diomande and another. Probably need to be Raskin.

Dessers up front with Sima playing off him and making runs from a little deeper.

I'm surprised so many people wouldn't start Silva considering he was the one causing Celtic the most problems and had Johnston on toast until Clements mental decision to take him off.

I think he makes a lot of decisions based on what the analytics and performance data folk are telling him.

If Silva had stopped making as many runs and dropping his pace of runs etc then that may be the reason as much as anything else, rather than the actual performance of the player.

He's been our best player the last 2 games, he should be in the line up for the final.

People just don't like Silva tbh. He was clearly our best threat going forward at the weekend, as he was the week before.

Surely he'll realise this time that we have to have three in the midfield. I'd put Sterling, Diomande, and Raskin in there, but I have a real fear that Lundstram will be involved.

Complete curveball

Having watched Sterling drop back and mop everything up outpacing Maeda for fun I think we need him back there, playing as a sweeper behind, not bringing it out of defence, letting Souttar/Davies do that. Pushing up with a high line.

Ideally Sima makes it but not hopeful so would go with a 3-5-2/5-3-2

Butland
Souttar Sterling Davies
Tav Lundstram Jack Diomande Ridvan
Dessers Silva

Reactions: sj2
I think he makes a lot of decisions based on what the analytics and performance data folk are telling him.

If Silva had stopped making as many runs and dropping his pace of runs etc then that may be the reason as much as anything else, rather than the actual performance of the player.

He's been our best player the last 2 games, he should be in the line up for the final.
If that's true then it's a mental way to decide on subs in such a huge game.

I can understand using that data when it comes to preventing injury etc but this was a one off must win game.

Everyone's eyes could see Silva was causing them problems and we were actually getting back into the game. He then nullified any chance or that happening by taking him off.

How many formations have we came up with in the last 3 years? The only thing that needs to change is for all the players on the park to do there job properly and we will have every chance

Hearts & Killie have both beaten them twice, and yet we cant with theoretically more expensive & better quality players ?

If he doesn't step back & try to learn from them big Phil wont be our manager next June.

Personally i'd go a midfield diamond, but others suggestions also address your point too BTB.

Its actually embarrassing that those sides have a better record than us against them.

In the case of Hearts they’ve won home and away.

To beat them you need to cut off their midfield and stifle them, they also hate being pressed and pressurised, it forces mistakes.

So naturally we stand off them and give up the midfield before a ball is kicked.

If he doesn't change it in the SC Final then he’s aswell not coming back for pre season, you cant play the same way in four OF’s and be lucky with a point.

And before posters jump in with the “Wait until he gets his own players in” how exactly do we play the same with better players and take points off them? Because thats exactly what PC has been doing, he has got it wrong in every OF and hasnt learned yet - Its a concern.

That's the most honest and telling post to date ,I totally agree with you and though they won't say it I think many thousands know it to be true,so unfortunately it's a cert he will play
Talk tactics all we want if Tavernier plays we lose. I think the scales have tipped on the Tavernier phenomena, more want him out of the team than want him in.

4321 dropping into 451 out of possession. Hopefully with some pace back available to hit quick counters.

If its the same as previous we will lose.

We need a curve ball and something to make them think.

Id like to see a Back 3 to stop them using the slip ball inside the LB/RB which seems to kill us time after time. Itll also provide extra cover across the midfield where we have been a country mile off their pace.

3-5-2

Theyll never see it comin'

Its actually embarrassing that those sides have a better record than us against them.

In the case of Hearts they’ve won home and away.

To beat them you need to cut off their midfield and stifle them, they also hate being pressed and pressurised, it forces mistakes.

So naturally we stand off them and give up the midfield before a ball is kicked.

If he doesn't change it in the SC Final then he’s aswell not coming back for pre season, you cant play the same way in four OF’s and be lucky with a point.

And before posters jump in with the “Wait until he gets his own players in” how exactly do we play the same with better players and take points off them? Because thats exactly what PC has been doing, he has got it wrong in every OF and hasnt learned yet - Its a concern.

I have to agree with this. It is a concern.

It's highly likely that O'Riley wont be there, but that's a separate issue BTB.

Suffocating every other position in the team lol
Imagine sitting just making up shite
It’s not, he is suffocating every other position. We have to shoehorn a player into the midfield to allow him to play, this time it’s Sterling, previous we have had the likes of Tillman and Kent told to stay back. He stands at the D in the opponents box looking lost, gets the ball and doesn’t know what to do with it. He loses possession far too easily and can’t defend.

It’s getting to be some sort of sporting sadism by continuing with this failed Tavernier phenomenon.

Think he’d be better with more midfielders round about him
When he’s on the ball his options look very limited
When u look at Saturdays game the filth always had options in the middle of the park
They certainly did especially O’Reilly they played the ball about and then got the ball to him for him to shoot what do we do leave him unmarked.

If that's true then it's a mental way to decide on subs in such a huge game.

I can understand using that data when it comes to preventing injury etc but this was a one off must win game.

Everyone's eyes could see Silva was causing them problems and we were actually getting back into the game. He then nullified any chance or that happening by taking him off.

He talks about it a lot. How many minutes he's been told a player can manage etc and he doesn't like to go against that advice. Silva has only played 90mins for us 5 times, so must be something to do with his ability to play at a high level for long.

Like moneyball ?

Back