Gary O’Neill to be interviewed by Liverpool for the managers job

Europa League final and a kick away from the Champions League final too.

Ten Hagg, regardless of budget, was about as perfect for Ajax as you could reasonably expect.

Slot not so much.
Sure, but Slot made the conference league final, quater finals of the Europa League and Champions with less money.

Sure, but Slot made the conference league final, quater finals of the Europa League and Champions with less money.
I wasn't arguing he's done a bad job.

Feyenoord should be in with a shout if reaching the final, same with us if we were in it. Ditto for the 1/4's of the Europa.

In terms of Europe performances Ten Hagg punched well above his weight.

They need a lesser name because no top manager will take the job right after Klopp due to him being so popular.

Man Utd are supposedly interested in him to.

He's done a decent job there but nothing to suggest he'd be able to cope with the pressures of a massive club with so much demand piled on you.

I expect Slot would get it.

Wouldn't rule out Thomas Frank who has worked wonders at Brentford.

Reactions: TQ3
What about Klopp's assistant, does he not fancy the step up?

He actually does. Just no one reported his come and get me please at the time, not even the club website, which shows you his chances. Strange guy is Lijnders.

“Is that a compliment from United?” he asks, upon being told Sir Jim Ratcliffe said Manchester United could learn a thing or two from how things are done at Liverpool. “That says everything, no? No-one can replace Jurgen Klopp but the past showed already a few difficult transitions. What was the most difficult transition inside this club? Bill Shankly saying ‘That’s me [done]’. Who stepped up? Bob Paisley. He was different from Shanks.

“It showed that we as a club we have to search for someone who wants to grow who, has the mindset to develop but it is not for us but the owners, they can make the decision. We made the right decision to announce this early, to give the club time to get this transition smooth.

“The past has shown it is possible. Barcelona ... Pep Guardiola announced he was done and then Tito Vilanova took over and got them the most points ratio ever. That was probably the hardest transition in the past 15 years. I was at Porto when Andre Villas-Boas won so much at Porto, then Vítor Pereira took over and was completely different to Andre and was champion the year off. They don’t have to replace Jurgen, but find a new manager.”

I wasn't arguing he's done a bad job.

Feyenoord should be in with a shout if reaching the final, same with us if we were in it. Ditto for the 1/4's of the Europa.

In terms of Europe performances Ten Hagg punched well above his weight.
Any Dutch club nowadays does with the budgets of the top 5 clubs.

That said, as great as a job Slot has done, i think Liverpool is a step to big for him, but then again he's set on joining a big club after knocking back Crystal Palace, Spurs and Chelsea last season.

The thing is , it’s a poisoned chalice now, just like when Ferguson left Man U , who ever takes the Liverpool job is on a hiding to nothing.
9 seasons, 1 PL, 1 FA cup, 2 EFL cups, 1 CL.

It's a good record and better than his recent predecessors, but it's not a great a record for a club that wants to be the biggest and best in the PL.

O’Neil has coached at Liverpool before and I like him. He’s a good, young manager. Wolves play some good stuff and he was excellent on Monday Night Football. His time will come but probably a bit early.

Arnie Slot. Not so sure but there aren’t many stand out names for Liverpool?

Not sure if it's still online anywhere, but at the start of the season he was on MNF and was really impressive with how he was explaining their tactics.

He should be in the conversation for the England job.

Liverpool are so finished post-Klopp.
I disagree, I think they’ve went stale under Klopp (I get that sounds weird when they’re fighting for the title) but they need some new energy about the place. This teams cycle has come to an end. Guys like Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson are all on the way down now as well, Klopp hasn’t done well at replacing the likes of Mane and Firmino

Surprised Marcelo Gallardo hasn't been mentioned. If he waits any longer got the right European club he'll end up being passed by completely

Thing is that it is total guesswork to predict how any new manager at any club will do with very few exceptions.

Where was this reported , have not heard this at all.
It maybe hasn’t been. He was speaking to someone I know who works in a senior position at an MLS club.

(If you are bored you can cross reference my user name against people in senior positions at MLS clubs).

I reckon Slot is loyal to Feyenoord and might want one more crack at a league title there.
It will be difficult, the only prize he hasn't won yet is the charity shield.

Winning the cup, playing decent football in Europe and finishing second behind a amazing PSV is a great achievement after losing 8 key players last season.

Next season will be the same with the interest shown in players like Giménez, Timber, Wieffer, Hancko.

But he'll have a transfer budget to spend of god knows how much (word is around 70 million, not counting the possible transfers mentioned above)

Will he want to keep building teams up or not is the main question.

Liverpool seem to be struggling to get anyone.

I genuinely think if Gerrard had stayed here he would have been a shoe in now as they are looking at the Feyenoord, Sporting, Wolves managers.
Despite his showing at Villa and in Saudi, Gerrard has enough credit in the bank at Anfield to get his turn. It might not be this time round but he will be their boss one day. He is as close to Mr Liverpool as it gets these days.

He’s done a good job at Wolves but I’d be amazed if he landed the Liverpool job.
It’s like the great managers out there don’t want the job and follow Klopp knowing it’s a hard one to follow.

However, surely they could get better than O’Neil and no disrespect to the guy, he’s done a great job at Wolves and did at Bournemouth.

The thing is , it’s a poisoned chalice now, just like when Ferguson left Man U , who ever takes the Liverpool job is on a hiding to nothing.
Why?

They’ve only won one English league title in over 30 years, and probably won’t win it this season.

Last season they failed to even finish in the top 4.

Klopp is a good manager but he isn’t the genius people make him out to be.

Man Utd were champions when Ferguson retired, having averaged one title every two years during his 26 and a half year tenure.

There is no comparison.

Thiaggo Motta has done well at Bologna, they will probably be in the Champions League next season.
A contender for a job in the Premiership?
No offence to O'Neill, but are clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United really considering managers like him and Gareth Southgate?

Thiaggo Motta has done well at Bologna, they will probably be in the Champions League next season.
A contender for a job in the Premiership?
No offence to O'Neill, but are clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United really considering managers like him and Gareth Southgate?
He could be Man United manager next season.

Don’t know an Eddie L, not sure what you googled for that haha.
IbybTs.gif

Back