Gerrard and Sectarianism

Whether he's feeling the pressure, angry or whatever is up for debate.

One thing that is clear he will be mortified at being associated with a club being linked with discriminating behaviour-anyone thinking he will live with an ongoing debate on this is deluded.

I think the manager knew exactly the task in front of him when he signed on. To me this singing malarkey is way down in his concerns. He is here to put a successful team on the park full stop. He's said it plenty times before. Football, that's his priority.

A man like Gerrard ditching us for the sake of a dodgy song aye sure like he's doing to do that infact he might toe the party line for the sake of it as it's the correct thing to do but he won't give a toss this is Steven fucking Gerrard not some offended man who would risk his first big managerial job over what supporters sing.

Honestly :rolleyes:

Isn't his wife Catholic? Are his weans being brought up Catholic? If that's the case, maybe he's pissed off that morons are insulting his wife and kids, even though he's asked them to stop it? I remember Souness saying he felt he couldn't look his (first) wife and kids in the eye if he worked for a club that treated Catholics differently. The Club has moved so far on from the mid-80s, yet some of the fans are still stuck back in the 1690s. Just chuck it with the songs.

None of us know his thoughts on this. He might walk away, but I doubt he will suddenly walk out on a squad he's built with players he's convinced to make the move here. Let's not get our knickers in a twist. But let's also sort it so it's not even a possibility.

I doubt it's keeping SG awake.

If we get chucked out of Europe tomorrow - Gerrard isn't leaving Friday morning, as many want you to believe.

He's focussed on Legia, then them. Nothing else.

If anyone believes this issue is not affecting Stevie G in some way then your wrong, of course it is, he's doing everything he can to make us a success in Europe, this is one of his clear stated objectives and it can all be taken away from him and the team due to the actions of the support, what must he be thinking?

I heard Mrs Gerrard didn't put out this morning or big Katic stood on his toe at training, I get your points but that is hell of a leap from our Manager being a bit grumpy. Imagine being put in front of the same useless media reprobates week after week

You can see the strain it’s taking on him. If the fans don’t wrap it he’ll walk IMO!
Wrap that hammer of yours roond your heid and knock some sense into yourself ya rid neck. Demi God my arse! Full of shite

He's desperate to win a title and knows he can do it with us. He won't leave but we, as fans, really need to get our act together. And, by the way, this thread is absolutely infested.

I think you are spot on, this feels like it's all been planned.
The purpose to damage and put a cloud of negativity over us in a massive week for us.
This, labeling us racists is worse than being labelled a paedophile in this FU©KED up country! Win win for the mentally challengeds.

Our Gaffer is a shrewd cookie with a global profile and brand. If the perception is that we have become toxic, he walks.

It has been noticed by other posters that our manager was in a particularly bad mood at today's press conference. I have to say this concerns me greatly.

This is our 12th competitive game in under 2 months. 12 press conferences for those games alone + more for friendlies. Same for RTV post match interviews and other TV coverage pre and post match.

It's a lot, getting asked the same questions over and over and giving the same answers over and over knowing everything he says will be picked apart and folk hanging on every word.

Add in the constant transfer speculation and now this off field shoite, is it any fucking wonder he looks scunnered?

His sole focus is on footballing matters.

Anyone who thinks he’d walk away on some sort of moral stance is just trying too hard now.

If the repercussions affected the footballing side of things, then that’s a different ball game.

The gaffer is fine, he just's put's idiot's in there place when they ask stupid question's that he has already addressed. The only place he is walking to is to lift our league title trophy at the end of this season.

It has been noticed by other posters that our manager was in a particularly bad mood at today's press conference. I have to say this concerns me greatly. Was it just a game face as some have suggested or something more. We are all now aware of additional Eufa charges the club has been served with. Gerrard is a man of impeccable character. Does he want that tainted by a bunch of idiots who care more about singing about 19th Century Terrorists, bobby sands the pope etc. than they do about Rangers Football Club? I would say not. There was a thread about whether we would be happier with a win on Thursday or Sunday. I would always want to beat the scum as a priority but would like to win both. However if we lose on Thursday we will escape the clutches of Eufa at least until next season. ( Champions League hopefully ) I'm sorry but I don't trust elements of our support to heed the warnings of ground closure. Some will continue to damage our Club. The "we will sing what we like" attitude. The scum do it so why not us attitude. Given that, I am now thinking it would be better for the club if we are knocked out tomorrow. I have been going to watch Rangers for 52 years now and never thought I would say this. During the match tomorrow instinct will kick in and for the ninety minutes I will support as normal. Frankly, I dread losing our Manager because of sectarian and racist charges. Imagine what this would do to the reputation of our Club?
Another thing that sickens me is that for the first time in several years Rangers Football Club holds the moral high ground. We are absolutely correct to hound the scum behind the biggest paedophile scandal in World Sport. But we are now unbelievably being labelled as a racist support. How the hell did it come to this?
I am aware their will be posters who disagree with my feelings on this. Trust me it wasn't easy for me to write. If anyone can change my mind through reasoned argument I would be happy with that. Any personal abuse, however, is not welcome.

Reading some of the reply’s, there are still those that are as thick as **** can’t see the wood for the trees. As has been said before how many supposed supporters with RC partners/relations that sing TBB/FTP don’t give a shit about our Club.

Aye, a Champions League winner, a guy who has led men in some of the fiercest atmospheres across Europe, is struggling to cope with a few FTPs. :rolleyes:

F*cking hell.

Gerrards only other job offer was Mk Dons. He’s not quitting Ibrox because of this. He has a contract ffs.

We could effectively win the league this year but be banned from competing in European next season

Just imagine that for a second.

Gerrard must be pig sick of dealing with non footballing issues an questions
Its a fucking embarrassment seeing him have to continually deal with these questions.

The idiots in the support who who continually give the media in this country exactly what they crave need to wise up, and quickly.

It has been noticed by other posters that our manager was in a particularly bad mood at today's press conference. I have to say this concerns me greatly. Was it just a game face as some have suggested or something more. We are all now aware of additional Eufa charges the club has been served with. Gerrard is a man of impeccable character. Does he want that tainted by a bunch of idiots who care more about singing about 19th Century Terrorists, bobby sands the pope etc. than they do about Rangers Football Club? I would say not. There was a thread about whether we would be happier with a win on Thursday or Sunday. I would always want to beat the scum as a priority but would like to win both. However if we lose on Thursday we will escape the clutches of Eufa at least until next season. ( Champions League hopefully ) I'm sorry but I don't trust elements of our support to heed the warnings of ground closure. Some will continue to damage our Club. The "we will sing what we like" attitude. The scum do it so why not us attitude. Given that, I am now thinking it would be better for the club if we are knocked out tomorrow. I have been going to watch Rangers for 52 years now and never thought I would say this. During the match tomorrow instinct will kick in and for the ninety minutes I will support as normal. Frankly, I dread losing our Manager because of sectarian and racist charges. Imagine what this would do to the reputation of our Club?
Another thing that sickens me is that for the first time in several years Rangers Football Club holds the moral high ground. We are absolutely correct to hound the scum behind the biggest paedophile scandal in World Sport. But we are now unbelievably being labelled as a racist support. How the hell did it come to this?
I am aware their will be posters who disagree with my feelings on this. Trust me it wasn't easy for me to write. If anyone can change my mind through reasoned argument I would be happy with that. Any personal abuse, however, is not welcome.
What a load of nonsense.

If the singing related to UEFA charges continues then Seven Gerrard will leave Rangers, no doubt about it. He wants Rangers to be successful in Europe and if he cannot achieve this he will develop his career elsewhere.

Liverpool FC have had their problems down the years and the nature of football fans in the UK is such that there will always be some sort of controversy.

Get a fkin grip. You start a new thread for this shite! It couldn’t have went in the other thread?

It's not nonsense. Do you actually believe that having our ground closed followed by expulsion from a European competition would not have consequences? As for posting in another thread I think this subject is worthy to stand alone. I am more than happy to let the admin guys decide on this. I did ask for reasoned argument from those who disagreed with me. Your reply is sorely lacking.

I think the manager knew exactly the task in front of him when he signed on. To me this singing malarkey is way down in his concerns. He is here to put a successful team on the park full stop. He's said it plenty times before. Football, that's his priority.

You're right.Football is his priority. Pity that's not the case for all our fans.

This is our 12th competitive game in under 2 months. 12 press conferences for those games alone + more for friendlies. Same for RTV post match interviews and other TV coverage pre and post match.

It's a lot, getting asked the same questions over and over and giving the same answers over and over knowing everything he says will be picked apart and folk hanging on every word.

Add in the constant transfer speculation and now this off field shoite, is it any fucking wonder he looks scunnered?

Sorry but that doesn't allay my fears about the consequences of Rangers being thrown out of a European competition for racist behaviour.

Without making light of the situation I think Gerrard would have been well aware of the rivalry between us and them and what it entails.

The only thing that's new is the way it's being dealt with, and that's very new.

To be honest I don't think it will have a huge effect on him right now but if it isn't sorted out by next season then be may have a decision to make with regard to his own personal goals.

FWIW I don't think it will have a lot of bearing as if we fail to qualify for Europe due to qualifiers I don't think he'd walk. The reasons may be different but the result is the same.
He said at the weekend he didn’t realise the extent of the rivalry until he came up here

He said at the weekend he didn’t realise the extent of the rivalry until he came up here
I don't think many English people do but I've no doubt that he would've been aware of the tradional leanings of each side and the hostilities they feed into.

It worries me slightly, actually more than slightly.

We sing nasty ugly songs. So do they. Its a nasty vulgar city but we all get on with it - until now.

Thing is Stevie it seems is a decent man and always talks of respect. This could be leaving a very bad and sour taste in his mouth.

Back