Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

If true, and this seems a little recycled, it’s shaping up to be a pretty massive summer.

Whatever folk think, both have been stalwarts for years. Letting them - and Lundstram, Barisic, Jack and others - go is the end of an era. It should happen but it’s fairly big nonetheless.

Add in moving on the likes of Lammers, Davies, Wright and a number of squad players - Lawrence, Raskin, take your pick is going to be a huge task.

What a stroke of luck selling both for good money would be. This has been a so-called story ever since Gerrard went to Saudi though, and the fact the Record is running with this probably means it's garbage.

Could very well be shite but in reality this makes all the sense in the world and probably suits everyone involved.

Goldson, yes it’s time to move on.

For Tav it would have to be a big bid to be worth us selling. However, he’s more than earned his right to a big move.

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly I think similar was reported around this time last year.

If it was a genuine offer I can’t see them turning down Saudi money.

All too good to be true, lazy journalism being most likely. If it was true, I wouldn't blame the players for sorting themselves out with life changing money at this stage in their careers.

Both are going to be moving on at some time in the future so if we can get decent money for them by SG or some other source we would be mad not to accept it.

Tavernier and Goldson have been great servants of the club but I think it’s time to start phasing out the current “Leadership Group” and giving the Manager an opportunity to bring in his own leaders.

Can't see either going there. Obviously the money would be good but huge upheaval family/life wise. (Plus the added aspect of limited players from abroad, etc.)

I think this would suit all parties. Serious cash to be made for those two, they've given us the best years of their career and are now getting past their peak. Good fees would help towards our rebuild for the Clement era.

Absolutely the time to sell them this summer as a) we won’t get much if we hold on to them another year and b) a rebuild needs to include moving on the old guard.

£6m for Tav and £2ish for Goldson and we talk. £8m plus the wages could really be put to better use in the team. I keep hearing how do we replace Tavs goals and assists but thats answered by - letting others take penalties and having goals spread across the team instead of through a right back.

That said if it is the end of Tav, Goldson and to a lesser extent Lunny then we need to make sure it’s a double if not a treble to see them off! Regardless of recent form they deserve that for their service.

Can see it happening. Perfect time for them to move on and if they get the chance at Saudi wages both will clearly take it.

Win win scenario with decent transfer fees for us

Money talks - and we are desperately in need of some in the summer.

Would make sense for everyone involved.

Hope we can get deals done and decent money in.
It really would be a win win all round. The players get life changing contracts and get to go out on a (relative) high in terms of first choice players. We get a sizeable fee for both and our highet earners off the wage bill. The fans no longer have the excuse of “the old guard” when things go wrong.

Tav might be worth £10m+ to us in terms of his contribution but no one other than a team in a pish league with money to burn is paying that for a 33 year old. If they offered a sizeable fee I’d be inclined to take it.
I also think this has to be Goldson’s last season at Rangers wherever he ends up.

We'd probably need an offer of £10m to make it worthwhile selling Tavernier tbh.

Reason being we'd need another right back even if we saw Sterling as the natural successor and Devine isn't going to be good enough. On top of that, if we did see Sterling as the successor then that means we need other players to cover for Sterlings versatility as he wouldn't be able to be moved if he was first choice right back which leaves us light in other areas. So that's a few million right off the bat even before you consider his output in terms of goals and assists. So it needs to be a silly offer otherwise it makes more sense just to keep him.
Imagine we were a normal team who relied on midfielders and attackers for goals and assists.

Just a thought.

When was the last time a manager left us or that lot and actually signed one of their old players?

The amount of times you see stories of managers supposedly planning a "swoop" on their old club yet it pretty much never happens.
Did Gough play under Walter at Everton?

Strachan at Middlesbrough, Scott McDonald.
Surely Lennon at Hibs would have had at least one.

I’d rather sell Goldson than Tav!

A better RCB alongside Tav improves our team ten fold and leaves us less exposed.

We have to accept that with the way we play Tav will be out of position on occasions.

Back