Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

With the kind of money the Arabs throw about Gerrard could probably attract just about anyone to that place, but he’s shopping in the SPFL?
Managers always like to sign players they've worked with before as they know what they're getting. And if they're available for reasonable fees and wages, all the better as it leaves more money in the pot.

Seems like the right time for everyone, the players can get a big pay day to end their careers and we can move them on while we will still get a fee.

Tav will be missed and his stats will not be replicated by whoever we bring in at right back but we can bring in someone that is better defensively and players in other positions that will have to replace his goals.

Goldson is on huge wages that could be used to bring in a replacement and strengthen other positions.

My two bobs worth.

Both are decent players heading towards the end of their career, both have good qualities but both have several issues in their game.

Due to their age we would have to replace soon enough anyway and if we get offered some decent dosh that can be reinvested in to the team I would be taking it.
100% correct. Said the same a few weeks ago and got pelters. Some our support seem afraid of change.

A “ declining Tav” as some put it is still our most productive player and will cost an absolute fortune to replace, i will then hear we will at least get a right back that can defend better,

Thats great but the majority of our games we play against teams with 10 behind the ball and an attacking full back with Tavs numbers is what we will then need as a player of Tavs ability going forward that is also good defensively probably plays for Real Madrid.

totally agree
Creag Robertson said at the fans forum "Succession planning, player contracts and player recruitment is vital for us."
add to this Clement commenting previous on how unacceptable it was to have so many players going into last 6 months, most players now reaching final 2 years of contract will either be offered a new contract or sold with some exceptions. Tav and Goldson will be on top money and cant see them being offered a new contract so good chance they could be sold this summer.
100% we have to do this. As our manager said when he came in we should not have people coming up at the end of season out of contract. So this close season we will have to deal with the ones that are out this season and also next season . That could lead to a lot of players leaving.

if I was gerrard I would be targeting better players especially considering there’s a limit to the amount of non Saudis in the squad, But then again jack hendry gets a game for them

I firmly believe we are a weaker team without Tav, and it's a huge gap to fill offensively. There's still at least a good season in him, and another year to find a suitable replacement.

Goldson has lost a yard of everything, and honestly he will be the less attractive signing to the Saudi's..... if anything I think he is a makeweight to make it more attractive for JT.

Can't help but think Goldson is putting himself in the shop window by doing podcasts. I'm not suggesting a manager will buy a player based on a podcast but it's a good way to get on a radar. Same way as you see many pundits on Clyde 1 or footballing channels a few months before they take up a permanent role with a club.

I firmly believe we are a weaker team without Tav, and it's a huge gap to fill offensively. There's still at least a good season in him, and another year to find a suitable replacement.

Goldson has lost a yard of everything, and honestly he will be the less attractive signing to the Saudi's..... if anything I think he is a makeweight to make it more attractive for JT.

We’ve never really been without him since he joined, one small stint for Patterson is all I can really remember.

Steven Gerrard has launched a move to team up with Rangers skipper James Tavernier in next season’s Saudi Pro League.

And the former Ibrox boss is also believed to be closely monitoring the situation of Connor Goldson as he mulls over a potential double swoop on his old club this summer. Record Sport revealed speculation linking Tavernier with his former boss - which stretches back almost 12 months to Gerrard’s shock appointment at Al-Ettifaq - has been building again in recent weeks.

On Wednesday multiple outlets across the Persian Gulf state began reporting that a deal for the 32-year-old could be thrashed out after Scotland’s domestic campaign reaches a thrilling climax when the Old Firm go head-to-head at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final on May 25. While Goldson’s name was not mentioned in those initial reports, it’s understood Gerrard is keen on being reunited with the man he lured north from Brighton six years ago to form a title winning partnership with Tavernier on the right hand side of his Rangers back four

Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch

Go get em, Gerrard. And don't spare the dosh.

Tavs very unusual numbers for a right back will be a miss (hypothetically should he leave) but that’s where we need to solidly invest in a strong attack that should do it for us.

If the money is too good then absolutely I’d sell.

With regards to Goldson and Lundstram, it has been far too often they have let us down in big moments in big games for many a season now that it may be time to part ways. Tavs numbers remove him from that criteria imo.
We did, Dessers, Lammers and Danilo, £12m+

Both are now coming to towards the final years of their careers and a regression in performance is inevitable. If the price is right for the club then we need to seek to move on.

Tav will be sorely missed given his contribution but we need to find other solutions and stop the reliance on a full back to deliver 20goals a season.

If ever you needed evidence of how rife recency bias is among our support it’s this thread/ Twitter reaction.

Two of our best performers every single year and folk are chasing them out the door.

Even at 32, Tav is still the best right back in the league by a distance.

Admittedly his form has been poor of late but our defence has almost always been a basket case without Goldson in the team. If you disagree then go and compare win %’s with him in the team vs without.
I don't think it's so much chasing them out the door it's more looking at the bigger picture, look at Liverpool fans they are saying they want to sell Salah, it's down to age and what money we can get, we made a massive mistake in not selling Morelos and Kent and losing them for nothing.

End of the day this is a business and we need to sell when the time is right I will be sad when Tav and Goldson leave but we need to do what is right for the club.

People are hearing Saudi and seeing $$$. Al-Ettifaq aren't one of the Sheikhs playthings.

Al-Ettifaq's biggest ever signing was €14m for PL winning Jordan Henderson, who burnt them badly. After than its Demerai Gray for €9.3m, and then it's Wijnaldum for €8m and the rest €5m or less.

If ever you needed evidence of how rife recency bias is among our support it’s this thread/ Twitter reaction.

Two of our best performers every single year and folk are chasing them out the door.

Even at 32, Tav is still the best right back in the league by a distance.

Admittedly his form has been poor of late but our defence has almost always been a basket case without Goldson in the team. If you disagree then go and compare win %’s with him in the team vs without.
A large percentage of games we lost when Goldson was out injured for a long period 2 years ago was down to us having to play King and Sands next to each other because of piss poor recruitment where we neglected buying a centre half.

Getting a decent fee for 2 30+ players that would otherwise walk out the door for nothing after a couple of seasons makes sense to me.

Thank them for their service & move on. Everyone has to leave the club eventually & the case of Tav, others will have to step up to the plate.

Tav I could easily see, Goldson no way.

Two of our highest earners and declining due to age, any decent money and they are gone.
Because no one would want Goldson or because he won’t want to leave?

Given the huge amount of players needing to be let go/sold in the summer I don’t think we can expect them all to go and so would expect Tav to be a survivor (and I would keep him as I am a massive fan), but looking at it logically Tav is 33 in October and will probably start to decline soon so it’s best to get him out now, especially if a Saudi club offers us more money than we could ever expect from elsewhere.

I’d be delighted if Goldson or any other player out with a small handful were to leave this summer.

If I were in their shoes at their current age with opportunity to treble my income setting me and my family up for lifetime, I would be signing. I wouldn't blame either of them, if it was true.
They have been here a long time, had plenty of insults and ridicule, could you really blame them?

If we don't win the league or the cup, they will be the focus of blame regardless.

100% correct. Said the same a few weeks ago and got pelters. Some our support seem afraid of change.
We need to look forward.

I dont buy in to the Old Team serial loser stuff but we do need a real change in direction.

We have had board member, managers, etc bump their gums about the "Player Trading Model". Moving these two on for money to be invested in the next rangers players needs to be taken if there is an option there.

The days of players walking away out of contract needs to be really really limited.

We need player sales to turn proper profit, satisfy the FFP rules and re-invest in the full squad.

If this is an option we need to really persue it.

Propaganda by the Record in the run in for the title.

Colour me shocked.
Exactly this.

The Record have been told to run this story knowing fine well some fans have had it with both players and are an easy target.

If Gerard was interested in them he would have signed them by now.

Like the Dens park fiasco, it’s all orchestrated to disturb our run in.

I think there may be something in these rumours about our former manager wanting these two players

And both can leave with our gratitude for there service imo

Because no one would want Goldson or because he won’t want to leave?

Given the huge amount of players needing to be let go/sold in the summer I don’t think we can expect them all to go and so would expect Tav to be a survivor (and I would keep him as I am a massive fan), but looking at it logically Tav is 33 in October and will probably start to decline soon so it’s best to get him out now, especially if a Saudi club offers us more money than we could ever expect from elsewhere.

I’d be delighted if Goldson or any other player out with a small handful were to leave this summer.
I don't think Goldson would want to leave unless Gerrard offered him a retirement payday.

I just can't see that happening for him, he's a poor, aging defender and would require a fee and decent wages. They'll have better options available to them.

This story is likely another media story to unsettle half the club so doubt it matters too much anyway.

Back