Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

I'd be sad to see Tav go as I think he has a few years left in him but for me whilst Goldson has been a great servant I think his time is up.

Exactly this.

The Record have been told to run this story knowing fine well some fans have had it with both players and are an easy target.

If Gerard was interested in them he would have signed them by now.

Like the Dens park fiasco, it’s all orchestrated to disturb our run in.
And still, STILL, we have Rangers men buying these rags.

All good things come to an end eventually. The "player trading model" that the club keep telling us is a priority would mean both players would be sold considering their age and contract situation.

But right now I'd be telling Gerrard to come back and talk after the season is over and we won't discuss players leaving until then. That's only right for the team, and also right on two players who have given us excellent service.

I don't think Goldson would want to leave unless Gerrard offered him a retirement payday.

I just can't see that happening for him, he's a poor, aging defender and would require a fee and decent wages. They'll have better options available to them.

This story is likely another media story to unsettle half the club so doubt it matters too much anyway.
The wages are nothing to the Saudis though. If they get one or two decent seasons out of him at a level far lower than the SPFL then they’ll be happy.

Steven Gerrard has launched a move to team up with Rangers skipper James Tavernier in next season’s Saudi Pro League.

And the former Ibrox boss is also believed to be closely monitoring the situation of Connor Goldson as he mulls over a potential double swoop on his old club this summer. Record Sport revealed speculation linking Tavernier with his former boss - which stretches back almost 12 months to Gerrard’s shock appointment at Al-Ettifaq - has been building again in recent weeks.

On Wednesday multiple outlets across the Persian Gulf state began reporting that a deal for the 32-year-old could be thrashed out after Scotland’s domestic campaign reaches a thrilling climax when the Old Firm go head-to-head at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final on May 25. While Goldson’s name was not mentioned in those initial reports, it’s understood Gerrard is keen on being reunited with the man he lured north from Brighton six years ago to form a title winning partnership with Tavernier on the right hand side of his Rangers back four
What an absolute ridiculous article.
Written without one shred of fact or evidence.
For one thing Gerrard would never go public about this so far away from the end of the season. For another thing it’s definitely not comes from Tav or Goldson, it’s not in their interests with 6 days to go.
My assumption is that a sports journalist has come in late with a hangover and been given the task of creating a clickbate story.
File under “H” for horse shit

For all those saying that teams only allowed 7 players from elsewhere. There is a vote to be held soon to allow 10 foreign players from next year.

Tav is our best player and we rely on him far too much.

Common sense says you lose Goldson now, you give new signings 12 months to bed in, you have a season where others pick up responsibility and a share of the goals, and Tav’s offer is still there in 12 months.

To just cull it neat then throw reliance and expectation on new signings seems a bit daft, given just how much he contributes at the moment.

I've always thought Tav will stay until he retires tbh. The squad needs enough work done to it in the summer already, never mind trying to replace all his goals n assists.
Agreed. If we can convince a Saudi team to part with a few million quid for 32 year old Connor Goldson then along with freeing up his wages we could bring a starter CB in. No championship plodders ala Ben Davies please.

Reactions: CF4
£4 or £5 million a piece would be great business all things considered.
4 or 5m for our top scorer, top assist, captain, never misses a game and arguably our most important player and maybe even our best penalty taker ever?

Goldson. Maybe.

Tav? I'd be wanting at least double that. Guy digs us out of so many holes we'd struggle massively to replace.

To say goldson and tav are worth the exact same to me is nonsense. With goldson were losing a centre back, with tav we lose ao much more

That many think selling these 2 will solve our midfield, striker and winger issues which are by far the biggest issues in the team, is fantasy and will be a major shock to them next season

Goldson in recent months looks like his legs have aged 5 years. No issues with him going albeit I still think he’s overall our best centre half and superior to Souttar

Tav however, I don’t see his position as a priority to address immediately. Midfield, wingers and strikers is far more of a concern to me than right back where he scores and assists plenty every year.

I’d also rather keep Sterling for centre mid as I’m not entirely convinced by him at right back and think he’s wasted there tbh with his attributes.

What planet are you on?

Planet Constipation - do you know of any good laxatives?

They would be taking our captain and vice captain who are still under contract. Besides, normal transfer fees seem not to apply when dealing with clubs from that area.

They should be creamed for as much as we can get out of them.

That many think selling these 2 will solve our midfield, striker and winger issues which are by far the biggest issues in the team, is fantasy and will be a major shock to them next season

Goldson in recent months looks like his legs have aged 5 years. No issues with him going albeit I still think he’s overall our best centre half and superior to Souttar

Tav however, I don’t see his position as a priority to address immediately. Midfield, wingers and strikers is far more of a concern to me than right back where he scores and assists plenty every year.

I’d also rather keep Sterling for centre mid as I’m not entirely convinced by him at right back and think he’s wasted there tbh with his attributes.
Who's saying it'll solve everything ?
It'll solve the part of every team targeting our right back every single game.

In old firm games the bheasts target Tav because they know he has no chance of keeping up with Maeda. They get a lot of joy down our right flank. Some strong European teams do the same thing. He's not going to get any faster. Sterling could match Maeda with pace at RB.

Tav is our best player and we rely on him far too much.

Common sense says you lose Goldson now, you give new signings 12 months to bed in, you have a season where others pick up responsibility and a share of the goals, and Tav’s offer is still there in 12 months.

To just cull it neat then throw reliance and expectation on new signings seems a bit daft, given just how much he contributes at the moment.
Perhaps there’s an over reliance on him that would be compensated by the team as a whole were he to move on?

We should always embrace change.

I would be delighted to get them both off the wage bill as they have little sell on value and both are aging players Tav will be 33 and Goldson 32 next season on massive wages for another 2 years. We need a younger squad.

I think Tav could play at a good level for a couple of years more with a better CB playing beside him. Someone with recovery pace. So i wouldnt be rushing to move him on - thought it would be folly not to listen to offers.

Goldson on the other hand, id definitely be looking to move on in the summer. This might be a great option for him. Hes going onto his last big contract anyway and theres no chance hes getting a move to the EPL in this form.

I doubt we'd be difficult with Goldson, a nominal fee and the prospect of a significant wage to re-invest.

I think there would be a more reluctance with Tav.

Can’t believe folk actually think a newspaper rumour will unsettle a player.

Rumours are written all year round, not just run in.

Its click farming. Folk think tavs heads going to go at the thought of playing in the saudi premier league :))

Regardless of age, it’s two key players one of whom has been POTY nearly every season he’s been here and has dug us out of holes on countless occasions.

We shouldn’t be entertaining anything less than £10m for the two of them when Saudi money is involved.

I feel exactly the same, but given his level of reliance; surely a managed change is better than a gambled balls out change.
Not for me. Win or lose the title, it feels like the right time to say goodbye to both players and start a completely new chapter.

Take the money and rebuild in Clement’s vision. The idea we’d fall apart without either of them is just daft. Doubt it will happen anyways, just a a shit comic publishing shit comic stories.

In old firm games the bheasts target Tav because they know he has no chance of keeping up with Maeda. They get a lot of joy down our right flank. Some strong European teams do the same thing. He's not going to get any faster. Sterling could match Maeda with pace at RB.
Ridvan more than matched him also at the New Year.

Not for me. Win or lose the title, it feels like the right time to say goodbye to both players and start a completely new chapter.
Can you imagine the atmosphere on here if it takes a few weeks for a team to get going without Tav. Giving him an extra year doesn’t make that much of a difference to change, but does provide much needed positive continuity and reliability.

4 or 5m for our top scorer, top assist, captain, never misses a game and arguably our most important player and maybe even our best penalty taker ever?

Goldson. Maybe.

Tav? I'd be wanting at least double that. Guy digs us out of so many holes we'd struggle massively to replace.

To say goldson and tav are worth the exact same to me is nonsense. With goldson were losing a centre back, with tav we lose ao much more
He’ll be 33 by the early stages of next season. Signing from Scotland, the price would be £5M max I’m afraid.

Who's saying it'll solve everything ?
It'll solve the part of every team targeting our right back every single game.
We’ll also lose 34 (so far) goal contributions.

Tavs attacking ability far, far, far outweighs his defensive issues. After all, we’ve conceded the least amount of goals in the league this season.

Gotta love our fans who talk down our players. No wonder we get buttons for them, or even worse, absolutely nothing.

Whereas that lot are forever bigging up even their most average players and getting ridiculous transfer fees for them.

We should have sold Morelos when he was at his peak. But the fans would have been outraged, so he stayed and left for hee-haw. Similar to Kent.

We need to bin the emotional ties to players because it's killing us financially.

Can you imagine the atmosphere on here if it takes a few weeks for a team to get going without Tav. Giving him an extra year doesn’t make that much of a difference to change, but does provide much needed positive continuity and reliability.
You could just as easily imagine the atmosphere if Tav gifts the Yahoos another goal in the first Old Firm game of next season.

Ultimately it’s going to come down to whether or not the price is right and Tav wants to go. If both parties are happy, then we’ll wish him well and look to the future.

I’d like to think the support will be a little more understanding than usual if it takes a new team a bit of time to find its feet under Clement, but maybe that’s just me being wilfully naive.

Both players been great servants and I'm a fan of both.
I agree with what people say about "how do we replace Tav's goals?" but there's a risk those goals disappear while he's still here, and still being paid by us.

I'm glad it's not me making the decision.

Whereas that lot are forever bigging up even their most average players and getting ridiculous transfer fees for them.

Celtic's record transfer outgoing is for a defender at 30+ is Stan Varga or Izaguirre who both left for about £1m.

Which is mainly because defenders who are in their 30s do not command anything like the nonsense spouted in this thread.

Back