Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

Tavernier is worth at the very least £10m to us, despite his age and shortfalls in his defending ability, his goals and assists are almost worth their weight in gold and still could be come the end of May.

Goldson should really be worth in the £5-7m mark, again considering his age and defensive shortfalls. That being said, he’s been a hugely consistent player for us and always wants to be available but he has let us down on a few occasions when we’ve needed him to be big.

They’ve had a good time here, great memories and some bad as well, they’ve earned a move that will secure their lives after football and id personally welcome a move for both to let the manger find a proper revolution and bring in fresh faces that will hopefully elevate the club.
£10m would make Tavernier the most expensive 32+ year old full back in footballing history.

By absolute miles.

Celtic's record transfer outgoing is for a defender at 30+ is Stan Varga or Izaguirre who both left for about £1m.

Which is mainly because defenders who are in their 30s do not command anything like the nonsense spouted in this thread.
Once you throw the Saudis into the mix people completely lose the plot with their valuations, as if those Arabs have absolutely no idea of a) the value of players, and b) the value of money.

If true it would be an ideal solution for all parties.
We need to move on with new players.
We would miss Tav, I don't reckon he would be upto a move. His family love Scotland and I reckon he will retire here with many more records broken.

IF true then I would be disappointed to see Tav go, I think next season he could still be a big player for us but we need to have his replacement in the squad getting games and slowly phase Tav out.

Goldson as much as I think he has been our best centre back I think his time is up
Tavs replacement is already in the squad.

There’s been a lot of rumours going round about Tav and Goldson Saudi SG link I hope it’s true and we get reasonable offer for both and reinvest back into the team, the summer transfer window will be exciting this summer a lot of players OOC and players moved on for fees then incomings to see who the gaffer signs.

It’s not as simple as lose Tav you lose 20+ goals, the full dynamic of the team would change and the chances of us giving our new full back as much freedom and playing mostly through him is slim but we ‘might’ become a better side.
Tav had scored 3 goals before he joined Rangers. He worked on his technique to become the highest scoring defender in British history.
I'd like to see him do a 10th year, but if crazy money from Saudi is on offer you can't blame him.

It’s not as simple as lose Tav you lose 20+ goals, the full dynamic of the team would change and the chances of us giving our new full back as much freedom and playing mostly through him is slim but we ‘might’ become a better side.
People talk like our tactics are just pass the ball to Tav and let him score.

I don’t think our ‘style’ of play relies on Tav. He just has amazing technique and pops up with some brilliant goals.

If we were being sensible we’d have been prepping someone to take Tavs place. It’s time to stop relying on our right back to score all our goals. A right back should never be scoring more goals than a striker in any team,our over reliance is gonna kill us.

If we were being sensible we’d have been prepping someone to take Tavs place. It’s time to stop relying on our right back to score all our goals. A right back should never be scoring more goals than a striker in any team,our over reliance is gonna kill us.
Why does Tav need replaced for that to happen?

I don’t think Tav playing limits anyone else in the teams ability to score goals (other than penalties). The amount of chances we miss is crazy and that’s not down to Tavernier. We shouldn’t be looking to replace his goals we should be looking to add to them.

That is unless we get a big bid or he pushes for a move.

Sell Tav and get miovski, that fixes the goals, Miovski, Danilo and dessers are 3 decent strikers in the squad. Sell goldson and you should get a decent replacement for the cash. Play sterling RB he would be immense there.

Sell Tav and get miovski, that fixes the goals, Miovski, Danilo and dessers are 3 decent strikers in the squad. Sell goldson and you should get a decent replacement for the cash. Play sterling RB he would be immense there.

If Sterling plays right back we need cover for right and left back (currently provided by Sterling) and we need better depth in midfield and on the right wing (currently provided by Sterling).

It's not as simple as it sounds and coukd end up costing us a a lot of money.

I am hoping that after dessers lifts the Scottish cup in May, I don’t see him in a rangers jersey again. I don’t think he is good enough even for the bench.

Tav and Goldson need to move for both sides, we need a new captain with fresh energy and we need a new team

Dessers and Danilo need 6 chances before they’ll score 1

Sadly Danilo’s injury means he’ll likely be here next year. If we’re honest, he missed some absolute sitters but because he had a song from the start, he didn’t get as much criticism as Dessers

I’d happily sell both Danilo and Dessers

He's not really had a chance ar RB?
Against Morton I don’t think he done himself any favours at RB

I’m not saying he’s abysmal. I’m just not convinced he’s as good at full back than what he is in centre mid. He’d be the first midfielder on the teamsheet for me

Once you throw the Saudis into the mix people completely lose the plot with their valuations, as if those Arabs have absolutely no idea of a) the value of players, and b) the value of money.
Luckily for us those Arabs have absolutely no idea of a) the value of players, and b) the value of money

Against Morton I don’t think he done himself any favours at RB

I’m not saying he’s abysmal. I’m just not convinced he’s as good at full back than what he is in centre mid. He’d be the first midfielder on the teamsheet for me
How did he play in his first appearance in midfield?

How did he play in his first appearance in midfield?

Brilliantly. Was away at Betis he came on and he was fantastic.

The thing is, he has a body of work at fullback at previous clubs that we will be able to make a judgement on.

For me, we stumbled upon him being a perfect fit as a midfielder in Scotland.

As much as they have both been great servants to the club they are both part of a core group of players who let the team down when the must-win games come along.

If we can get 6-8 million for both then it's time. We must appoint a captain next season who will drag his team by the neck when required.

Best for all parties regardless of how things pan out this season. Thanks to both for their service but ultimately it was way short of what is expected from those lucky enough to wear the shirt.

Can you imagine the atmosphere on here if it takes a few weeks for a team to get going without Tav. Giving him an extra year doesn’t make that much of a difference to change, but does provide much needed positive continuity and reliability.

I would love Tav to stick around, but not if he's the highest earner at the club. We don't have the luxury of doing that.

Finding full backs in the SPFL isn't an impossible task either (for starters, we already have one in Sterling).

I would love Tav to stick around, but not if he's the highest earner at the club. We don't have the luxury of doing that.

Finding full backs in the SPFL isn't an impossible task either (for starters, we already have one in Sterling).

This is actually a fair point. Celtic have cleaned up since our return to the top - and theyve done it with guys like Taylor, Bernarbei, Lustig, Ralston, Johnston etc... playing significant time. None of them could lace Tavs boots.

If you were to give positions weighting regarding importance. Full back would be fairly low down the order. For me its #4, #6 and #9 in no particular order. You get the spine right and you will win far more trophies than we have done.

This is actually a fair point. Celtic have cleaned up since our return to the top - and theyve done it with guys like Taylor, Bernarbei, Lustig, Ralston, Johnston etc... playing significant time. None of them could lace Tavs boots.

If you were to give positions weighting regarding importance. Full back would be fairly low down the order. For me its #4, #6 and #9 in no particular order. You get the spine right and you will win far more trophies than we have done.

There was an article in the Times a few weeks ago with the Hammarby chairman (a club which is huge on analytics) and he essentially presented data on how clubs built around one player are less successful than others where it's spread out.

It's not to take away from Tav - our midfield has been a shambles for most of his time here in terms of numbers - but more an indictment of our reliance on him.

Borna and Bassey came to under 3 million. Johnston, while not as good as Tav, is competent and cost them a couple of million. Juranovic was a couple of million and was flipped for three times that. Even going back, they plucked Izaguirre from South America for about 500k and he ended up sweeping player of the year awards. Hickey, Doig etc... it's really not an impossible position to fill.

There's been rumours of Tav for a while this season. The Glasgow rumour is that he's already told the school where his kids are at that they won't be rejoining next season. For whatever reason.

Retaining Lunny makes more sense because losing all three in a season could have a pretty big impact.
You can't just retain lundstrum because Goldson and tav and leaving

We need a full clean sweep, get younger hungrier players in and a few experienced heads that Clement trusts
Add a couple of loans it's not as bad as people make out
Why should we retain players that over the course of their contracts have had purple patches,lundstrum especially
Gerrard was hesitant to play him

Both have took us as far as they can and it might be just short this year for the league.

Will they be any better next season ? I don’t think so.

If we can get a decent offer for both it would be a great bit of business for us to reinvest.

I feel exactly the same, but given his level of reliance; surely a managed change is better than a gambled balls out change.
If we lose the league we need a balls out change from top to bottom

The goals will come from other players,penalties will come from a decent centre forward
The team will change but imo I think for the better
Every team wither it be Barcelona man City or Milan manage just fine and don't rely on there right back to take everything,freekicks throw ins penalties

Then the opposition attack his weakness,defence

Why does Tav need replaced for that to happen?

I don’t think Tav playing limits anyone else in the teams ability to score goals (other than penalties). The amount of chances we miss is crazy and that’s not down to Tavernier. We shouldn’t be looking to replace his goals we should be looking to add to them.

That is unless we get a big bid or he pushes for a move.
Him jogging from deep in our half to take a throw in slows play same with corners
There's been 3times better players then James taverner that's left and we moved on

It's one thing I think gio tried to do,not that it worked out great but we shouldn't be relying on a right back for everything

You would hope, with Tav’s various extensions, annual amounts would be staircased down as he continued into his 30s. Surely it isn’t just a case of x amount for y years.

No doubt they’ll soon be jetting in to Saudi Arabia for showdown talks.

Not for me.

From the evidence so far, Sterling should be centre mid for me. All the attributes for it.

Yet to be convinced of him playing at full back tbh.
It's a tricky one. Has all the attributes to be a RB as well as a CM. Played well when put at RW and at LB so why not RB? Can defend, physical, reads the game well, good going forward. Hopefully he gets a chance of a run if games in one position, be it RB or CM.

Be great for all parties if we could all generate some proper cash from this. Don’t want to see tav leave but if he did go for a good fee surely he’d be pound for pound our greatest ever signing.

Be great for tav and Connor too they’d stand to gain a huge chunk of change at the end of their careers.

Of course it might all be pyoor pish and a figment of the Celtic wargame room to destabilise our key players in the run in.

Him jogging from deep in our half to take a throw in slows play same with corners
There's been 3times better players then James taverner that's left and we moved on

It's one thing I think gio tried to do,not that it worked out great but we shouldn't be relying on a right back for everything
Plenty of players take throw ins nowadays if there is a quick option. Clement changed that quite a while back.

He takes one side of corners as presumably he’s been selected as corner taker.

It all points to Tav not being the problem ,won't stop him getting the blame for everything

Only on FF could people list all that Tavernier brings and then say that the fact he brings so much is in fact the problem as if he's stifling other players.

Basically people have a preconceived opinion of him and this is their latest way of ignoring everything good he does.

Mental stuff.

Will be very hard to replace everything Tav brings! Will depend entirely on what bid we receive for him. I know he is 32 but for me the money for Tav needs to be well north of £5m.

Goldson - time to move him on and tbh I think if we were to get 2 to 3mil for him that would represent good business IMO.

Is a combined figure of around £10million out of the question? (7-8 for Tav & 2-3 for CG) I think that should be the target.

Goldson to me looks like he needs a fresh challenge. He’s been here too long, if there’s a reasonable transfer fee on the table at his age and on his wages we’d be stupid to refuse. Tavernier I feel a little differently about. The same applies re. age and wages but although I would be inclined to listen to offers, I think he deserves to see out his contract and career with us if that’s his preference. Now might be the right time to part ways but he is still a good player and contributing significantly to the team.

I would be sorry to see Tav and Goldson go (albeit the time is probably right for the latter) but if Tav ended his career with us he would deserve a testimonial for his service in my view.

Back