Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

Everyone is entitled to their options, and aye tav has scored a mental amount of goals for a rb, but he’s failed, again, as a rangers captain when we were only 7 games away from winning the league (without even having to win at their midden)
I could listen to folk over the years, talk about different managers, challenging times etc, but big Phil came in, and got them all going again.
But here we are again, that time at the end of the season, when you roll your sleeves up, and find a way to deliver, but the rangers captain has failed again to motivate his team mates, to even match Ross county and Dundee for even effort.
We might have a “sh!te” squad, but it’s better than Ross county’s and Dundee’s, which tells you, it’s a lack of effort. That’s the captains job, to motivate, to install belief, to set the standard, which again hasn’t happened.
His time as captain has to be up.

Ad rather look back in 7/8 years time and say, look how successful we’ve been as a club, rather than, look at our RB’s goal scoring record.

Ad rather look back in 7/8 years time and say, look how successful we’ve been as a club, rather than, look at our RB’s goal scoring record.
How successful do you think we would have been without Tavs goals over the years?

Genuine question. Remember how shite our recruitment has been too before you come up with an imaginary goalscorer who’d have matched his numbers.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this will happen, at least for Tavernier. I don't believe for a second we'll get the kind of fee folk on here think we will (realistically about £5 million) but i think he'll ultimately decide he's done his time here and wants a last pay day.

How successful do you think we would have been without Tavs goals over the years?

Genuine question. Remember how shite our recruitment has been too before you come up with an imaginary goalscorer who’d have matched his numbers.
My biggest Gripe, is him as our captain mate.

You could say, where would we be without his goals, and some head-case will tell you, probably bottom half of the spfl.
His goals have led us to no where near enough success and neither has his captaincy.
I would rather have a different mentality throughout that squad, that a bad defending, unsuccessful captain rb goal scoring machine.

Everyone is entitled to their options, and aye tav has scored a mental amount of goals for a rb, but he’s failed, again, as a rangers captain when we were only 7 games away from winning the league (without even having to win at their midden)
I could listen to folk over the years, talk about different managers, challenging times etc, but big Phil came in, and got them all going again.
But here we are again, that time at the end of the season, when you roll your sleeves up, and find a way to deliver, but the rangers captain has failed again to motivate his team mates, to even match Ross county and Dundee for even effort.
We might have a “sh!te” squad, but it’s better than Ross county’s and Dundee’s, which tells you, it’s a lack of effort. That’s the captains job, to motivate, to install belief, to set the standard, which again hasn’t happened.

Switch the lights out then, the seasons over.

You do realise we are still fighting for this title? One game can change everything. They have Hearts at the weekend, it's not a foregone conclusion.

We have a cup final to play too that could cap an amazing season.

Both teams have been up and down this season but ultimately nobody will care if we scrape over the line in first place and we still have the chance to do that.

Even without them dropping points elsewhere what's to say we don't put 4 or 5 last Killie at home this weekend and go into the OF game knowing a single goal victory could put us back at the top.

You could say, where would we be without his goals, and some head-case will tell you, probably bottom half of the spfl.
His goals have led us to no where near enough success and neither has his captaincy.
I would rather have a different mentality throughout that squad, that a bad defending, unsuccessful captain rb goal scoring machine.
Taking the armband off of one player does not change the mentality of the club. This mythical creature of the perfect captain doesn’t come in and we suddenly win everything.

Tav has played a huge part in any success we’ve had. He’s one of our only consistent performers yet he’s the one who gets constant stick.

Switch the lights out then, the seasons over.

You do realise we are still fighting for this title? One game can change everything. They have Hearts at the weekend, it's not a foregone conclusion.

We have a cup final to play too that could cap an amazing season.

Both teams have been up and down this season but ultimately nobody will care if we scrape over the line in first place and we still have the chance to do that.

Even without them dropping points elsewhere what's to say we don't put 4 or 5 last Killie at home this weekend and go into the OF game knowing a single goal victory could put us back at the top.
I hope you’re right, but it was in our hands a few weeks ago, and a lack of effort has resorted to the, nothings impossible chat. I’m fed up with it.

Taking the armband off of one player does not change the mentality of the club. This mythical creature of the perfect captain doesn’t come in and we suddenly win everything.

Tav has played a huge part in any success we’ve had. He’s one of our only consistent performers yet he’s the one who gets constant stick.
Who said anything about suddenly winning everything?
You're going on again about the player, I’m talking about the job as captain.

Reads like we have another FIFA expert here.

Pinning defeats, draws and lack of effort from individuals on the Captain, a right back, is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here. It would be bad enough if you blamed all of that on the manager, but no you went one further and blamed the Captain to suit your argument.

A polite and timely reminder that football is a team sport might be in hand here.

Pinning defeats, draws and lack of effort from individuals on the Captain, a right back, is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here. It would be bad enough if you blamed all of that on the manager, but no you went one further and blamed the Captain to suit your argument.

A polite and timely reminder that football is a team sport might be in hand here.
Putting the responsibility on a Rangers captain, to ensure he and his teammates are not settling for working less than Ross county or Dundee, when the title is in sight, is one of the most ridiculous things you’ve ever read on here, but your calling me a fifa expert.
Very good.

Where would we be without his (and Goldon's) defensive howlers?

More than happy for both to go for Saudi money, I think it’s a perfect opportunity to get rid of two players who need to be moved on for younger and hungrier players and more importantly give the manager the chance to build his own team.

Putting the responsibility on a Rangers captain, to ensure he and his teammates are not settling for working less than Ross county or Dundee, when the title is in sight, is one of the most ridiculous things you’ve ever read on here, but your calling me a fifa expert.
Very good.

He's the Captain, he's not Superman.

The responsibility is on the individual to work harder than their direct opponent, you can't expect the Captain to do that for them, can you?

He's the Captain, he's not Superman.

The responsibility is on the individual to work harder than their direct opponent, you can't expect the Captain to do that for them, can you?
I’m just repeating myself now, talking about that Ross county and Dundee game, but it doesn’t take fcuking superman, to let the players know, they need to up it, finger out, match these diddy teams for at least effort.
And I never seen that from the Rangers captain … again.
I’m not expecting him to do everyone’s job, but I’m expecting to see the Rangers captain, not accepting what we’ve seen recently, and again, we haven’t.
He actually said after the Ross county game, “we need to treat every game like a cup final now” …. Then he led us out against Dundee, (the first cup final) he didn’t look as angry as I would have liked after his first cup final game.
We need a new captain next season, that’s my opinion on it.

Sounds like a tactical issue rather than a right back issue?

Keep Tav and change the tactics. I’d imagine play goes through him as he’s one of the only players in our team who actually creates chances. See yesterday as a great example.
So you don’t think he slows play down?? Are you comfortable with your right back being top goalscorer/creator in the team?? I’m not. I’d prefer my right back to be a right back and my forwards to do their jobs. Something needs to change big time.

The leagues not over, nor is the Scottish cup.

If Allan McGregor was out captain during his second spell here, would you say the same? I’m sure you would deem him a worthy leader - do you think the last 6 years would have been different with AM as the captain? Absolute nonsense if so.

The Armband isn’t the cause of our problems - it’s just another excuse to bash Tav from the simpletons.

If Allan McGregor was out captain during his second spell here, would you say the same? I’m sure you would deem him a worthy leader - do you think the last 6 years would have been different with AM as the captain? Absolute nonsense if so.

The Armband isn’t the cause of our problems - it’s just another excuse to bash Tav from the simpletons.

hahaha you’ve actually asked me a question, answered it, and criticised me on your answer haha.
I didn’t love McGregor, and wouldn’t want him as Rangers captain, this past season or the 6 before it.

How successful have we been!! Fwiw I recognise Tav has been a great player for us, but he is only one man. It's some of the other muck around him that's the problem.

hahaha you’ve actually asked me a question, answered it, and criticised me on your answer haha.
I didn’t love McGregor, and wouldn’t want him as Rangers captain, this past season or the 6 before it.
Iv criticised your nonsense theory that tav being the captain in any way influences our success in the last 6 years.

Maybe its just me but there's a lot on Rangers players leaving when the talk should be about winning a title.
Maybe we have just given up on it.

So you don’t think he slows play down?? Are you comfortable with your right back being top goalscorer/creator in the team?? I’m not. I’d prefer my right back to be a right back and my forwards to do their jobs. Something needs to change big time.

Tav is a record breaking defender that most other fans would give their right arm for. Not our support though.

You want our forwards to score more? So does everybody else. It's hardly Tav's fault he has been surrounded by mediocrity during his time here, is it?

Some folk on this forum are just utterly brain dead.

More than happy for both to go for Saudi money, I think it’s a perfect opportunity to get rid of two players who need to be moved on for younger and hungrier players and more importantly give the manager the chance to build his own team.
this

55 season he was PFA POTY,league cup final,Dortmund,Braga,Lepzig..

Nothing major..:rolleyes:
European games great, but as underdogs with no pressure and not when it mattered most to pick up an actual trophy.

Overall, in what 9 seasons we can say he really showed up in a season when everyone else did when there were no fans at all and no fan pressure and 1 League Cup Final when it mattered most to pick up trophies. That's not fantastic.

European games great, but as underdogs with no pressure and not when it mattered most to pick up an actual trophy.

Overall, in what 9 seasons we can say he really showed up in a season when everyone else did when there were no fans at all and no fan pressure and 1 League Cup Final when it mattered most to pick up trophies. That's not fantastic.
What did you expect in 9 seasons, remember 1 in The Championship.... finishing 3rd behind Aberdeen on our return?
No pressure to stop their TIAR. B-D
We also won a Scottish Cup, conveniently forgotten.
mentally challenged propaganda.

Are you being serious, so every trophy we haven't won is all the fault of Tavernier
Some of our fans are idiots

We absolutely need to get away from building the play through our right back. It warps everything and we just look very imbalanced because of it.

Sorry if previously mentioned, but if Tavernier does leave I think the best option for captain is Jack Butland. I’m not sure how much Butland earns, but he should be our highest paid player and captain.
I don't think he'll be here to captain us. Got to be a high probability we cash in on him this summer to boost the transfer kitty.

Ps. Not saying we should but it must be highly probable.

Sigh. The problem with Scottish football and it's fans summed up right there.

Some just can't move on from the 90's it seems.
Unless you’re booting players about the place and screaming at folk, you aren’t a good captain.

Doesn’t have a clue what happens behind the scenes, but that’s just the way it is.

This thread shows there are some people who think Tavernier is the root of all evil and others have an almost religious devotion to him.
Some blame him for everything, some make outlandish excuses for him.

Both are mental.

He's been a great player but there's no doubt he also lacks something when it comes to winning in the SPL and has been the classic good player in a bad team for most of his time here.

What's beyond debate is the club needs change.

If people can't see that and resist the idea of building a team that is less reliant on a 33 year old and choose to wallow in the oddball "You never know what you had til it's gone" mentality fair enough. Not much to say about that.

I don't think he'll be here to captain us. Got to be a high probability we cash in on him this summer to boost the transfer kitty.

Ps. Not saying we should but it must be highly probable.
I fear you’re probably right, but having good players in other areas is pointless if we don’t have a good goalie. We really should be building our team with him at the very heart of it.

Yes, something needs to change.

But anyone with half a brain would introduce goals from elsewhere in the team rather than taking away our main goal threat.

• Haha
Reactions: WLF
How often has he stepped up when there is a trophy to be won, not in nothing games.
The last trophy we won :D

Edit: In fact, I’ll go into it further.

55 season- 11 goals and 10 assists in his 29 league games

Scottish cup 2022- 4 games played 2 goals scored. 120 minutes played in both the semi final and final.

Scottish League cup 2023- 3 games played, 3 goals scored and 1 assist. Including 2 goals in the semi final and the goal to win us the cup.

Last edited:

Surprised that Bisgrove is not getting the blame.

Tav states he has two yrs left on his contract and already in talks for a testimonial.
He ain’t going anywhere methinks.

In the past there have been numerous occasions where we have been guilty of holding onto players for too long and they leave for nothing when we had chances to sell them.

If we got a good offer for them I think we should sell them, both are replaceable. For player trading to work you need to sell and reinvest in younger players.

Back