Gerrard vs that lot

Gerrard had his faults but he understood the importance of midfield control
We have never really upgraded the midfield properly in that sense from the 55 team
It's not been all doom & gloom as results from Clements arrival have shown but our midfield in general especially right now is all over the place

Gerrards record against them was phenonemal. To make it worse he was cheated in some of those games with 3 players offside goals being allowed or his record would be better

He had them on toast and we treated them with zero respect.

For all Gerrards faults and issues, Europe and Celtic were not one of them.

Gerrard always played them with 3 central midfielders, who often dominated the midfield against them.
Any 3 from Kamara, Davis, Jack and Arfield.

He loved his 4-3-2-1 formation.

We went from players who kept the ball for fun against them to someone like Lundstram, who is a different profile entirely.

Getting the better of Celtic in the early games was the undoubtedly the catalyst for 55 in my mind. It gave the players so much confidence.

Even when they beat us in March 2019 when we had 10 men, we were taking the game to them.

Made a huge physiological difference. I wonder if our first half performance against them at Ibrox has spooked some of the squad.

Gerrard was given 3 full seasons and backed by the board,
We need to ensure Clement is given the same time and backing.
Let’s be honest he has inherited a poor squad from Beale and is up against a Celtic team who financially can blow us out the water if they choose.
Really tough to try and make us competitive next season in view of the number of squad changes we need to make.
Gerrard inherited a team getting papped out of Europe by part timers, and regularly getting quite severely slapped about by Celtic to the extent it was embarrassing. Don't think Clement was quite down the same whole when he arrived.

I personally thought Gerard was superb for the club and would take him back in a heartbeat
The first part is undeniable. He dragged us back to where & what we should be. Simply with his attitude, mentality and standards.

As for the second part, I don't think I would. After Saudi I don't see him working as a manager again.

We went from players who kept the ball for fun against them to someone like Lundstram, who is a different profile entirely.

I've got far bigger issues with the midfield performances of Cantwell, Lawrence and Dowell, than I have with Lundstram mate.

The 3 of them have contributed nothing in the past 2 games.

Diomande will be back on Sunday and him and Lundstram play well together, but whoever plays in the attacking midfield position really needs to up their performance.

Brought the absolute Fukin hatred of them back to Ibrox, the exact way it should be.

The team currently help the mentally challengeds up after fouls. Was cringing when I seen that at Ibrox recently. They hate us and it shows by the contempt shown by them. The way we should be but currently laugh and joke with them.

I always believed that it was more of Gerrard hating Rodgers and putting him in his place that got him up for the OF. And then when he fucked off he'd already caught the bug that beating them was quite a nice feeling.

I hate the 1/9 stat getting turfed out. You can write the first season off. I do agree maybe he could have won a cup in the 2nd when St Johnstone off all teams won the double but if his only trophy had to be 55 then so be it.

That's fine, I agree.

But some of our fans get genuinely enraged if we don't win every single game. Cup defeats happen. I'm sure Gerrard would've liked more silverware but using the "1 trophy in 9" patter is nothing more than mentally challenged talk.

As I said it completely ignores the mess he inherited and what he built over his 2/3 years in charge. He gave us a proper team on the pitch, a team who could compete domestically and consistently in Europe.

In his entire time with us we never lost a game by more than 2 goals and even then I think it was only Leverkusen and once against Celtic (where he tried a different formation and said afterwards he'd never do it again).
Gerrard had a worse Scottish Cup record than Warburton, Murty or Pedro though. Even McCoist got us to a Semi when we were in League 1. Gerrard's side never made a Semi once in three seasons.

The only domestic cup we had a satisfactory performance in was the 19/20 League Cup.

Gerrard inherited a team getting papped out of Europe by part timers, and regularly getting quite severely slapped about by Celtic to the extent it was embarrassing. Don't think Clement was quite down the same whole when he arrived.
I rate the manager and hope both the board and the fans have the same patience as we had with Gerrard.
He needs time.

I think Gerrard treated the domestic cups with a bit of disdain, he wasn't that fussed about them at all.
We really should have had a treble in the 55 season thinking back.

Id fucking kill for Gerrards hatred of them right now.

He knew what to do, and they rarely got the better of him in those games.

Yes, he came up short in the trophies count, but that’s as a consequence of losing to the smaller sides. When it came to hating them, he’s on a par with Walter in that regard and I’d love to have that same hatred instilled in the squad.

Maybe Clement hasn’t got that up to scratch right now, perhaps because he’s European and doesn’t really get it. He will though. He will learn it soon enough once he has players that can match up to that.

While on the whole that might be true, Ross McCrorie bossed an OF at parkhead as a defensive mid under Gerrard (I think).
Under Murty, and he was brilliant that day. Was brilliant against then in the Jack game too.

Phased out after we got Davis in.

Agree Gerrard had us set up in these games far better than any who have came after him (so far, Clement included) but it's doing him a disservice to just say it was something intangible that was the reason for that - i.e. defeating a mental block, dig that he instilled in the team etc.

In Europe and in Old Firms we became a well-oiled machine, set up brilliantly in a way that maximised the individuals abilities in the team, and in a way that clearly the entire team bought into unquestioningly. Other than Gio in the EL run, we've not had that level of tactical nous from a manager since, and he deserves all the credit for that. regardless of how much input his staff did/didn't have.

Whatever Gerrard goes on to achieve in the rest of his managerial career, the job he done here was absolutely incredible from where he inherited us. From the Pedro/Murty disaster of a season to an unbeaten league winning season and the bones of a Europa League final team, whatever Rangers go on to achieve in the next ten years is off the back off the team that Gerrard built, IMO.

Because we had a good midfield when Gerrard was here. In old firm games, games are won and lost in the midfield. If you have a better midfield you will most likely win most old firm games throughout the season.

Right now their midfield is a mile ahead of ours and it’s not close. Gerrard knew that in these games the midfield was important and was why he usually played a flat 3 to control the game.
My first old firm game was the 73 cup final and from then until now I have felt the majority of old firm games are won and lost in the midfield. My opinion is purely based on the eye test, I have often wondered if the stats etc confirm my opinion. I may be totally wrong.

Because we had a good midfield when Gerrard was here. In old firm games, games are won and lost in the midfield. If you have a better midfield you will most likely win most old firm games throughout the season.

Right now their midfield is a mile ahead of ours and it’s not close. Gerrard knew that in these games the midfield was important and was why he usually played a flat 3 to control the game.
Nail on the head.

Gerrard was a fighter and understood well the rivalry of Football, along with how to make use of it as a motivation.

His teams fought to the end always and never got mugged, whatever the result.

He had the highest standards for himself and expected it from everyone else, a bit like Souness in that regard.

Clement seems like a tough guy, let's see after this past disaster of a month.

Halliday was outstanding that day. Not the most gifted player but gave his all and showed so much mental strength to bounce back after being humiliated by Murty at Hampden.

Kent ran riot, Arfield smothered that bastard Brown. Morelos absolutely terrorised their centre backs. Pressed the ever living life out them. Rodgers looked absolutely clueless
giphy.gif

Gerrard got the time because even in his early days you could see there was incremental improvement. He was taking us up from the gutter in terms of player quality. That’s why he never won the league early - because although his first 11 always looked good - the Tim’s had a massive advantage in squad quality/depth.

He treated the tims like enemies (like they do with us) and that made sure the full team was committed. We have had guys like Beale who want to cuddle up to them. To be honest Clement doesn’t get it either.

That record since Gerrard left is an absolute disgrace.
It's even worse when you think they hadn't beat us in almost 3 seasons prior to him leaving. I definitely think we have a leadership issue within the club to go from dominating them to then collapse against them.

Back