Gio wanted Maatsen

He was linked in Summer 2022.

Went to Burnley instead.

Somehow Chelsea think both Chilwell and Cucurella are better. Probably realising now they should have kept him instead of another loan.
Chilwell is pish poor too for that level.

Let's not rewrite history that Gio shouldn't have been sacked when he did. But it's clear that he did not nearly get backed as much as he wanted when you look at Beale getting (in his own words) his "number one striker" and going out to Italy to get Dessers. He wanted Cifuentes to take us to "the next level". He was given a top goalkeeper in Butland. He was backed with what he wanted, Gio wasn't and was far more deserving of it.

Doubt he wanted to come here tbh, Chelsea probably wouldn’t have wanted him coming here.

Let's not rewrite history that Gio shouldn't have been sacked when he did. But it's clear that he did not nearly get backed as much as he wanted when you look at Beale getting (in his own words) his "number one striker" and going out to Italy to get Dessers. He wanted Cifuentes to take us to "the next level". He was given a top goalkeeper in Butland. He was backed with what he wanted, Gio wasn't and was far more deserving of it.
History tells us our board led by the Parks failed to back a manager who took us to a Euro final and the 1st scottish cup in a decade, then employed a snake oil salesman who he described as 'an exciting young manager' which was based on the square root of f uck all.

We blamed Gio for the collapses at the paedo dome when we always knew we had a core of gutless losers who we needed to bin. Allowing Beale to spend money was Park playing football manager and it's decisions like that which have set us back years.

55 should have seen us put them to the sword for years but when you don't back the manager when you're winning then pointless backing an unproven manager who was a charlatan.

History tells us our board led by the Parks failed to back a manager who took us to a Euro final and the 1st scottish cup in a decade, then employed a snake oil salesman who he described as 'an exciting young manager' which was based on the square root of f uck all.

We blamed Gio for the collapses at the paedo dome when we always knew we had a core of gutless losers who we needed to bin. Allowing Beale to spend money was Park playing football manager and it's decisions like that which have set us back years.

55 should have seen us put them to the sword for years but when you don't back the manager when you're winning then pointless backing an unproven manager who was a charlatan.
Hadn’t Park stepped down before last summer’s spend spend spend?

This infers that we had the ability to spend money & capitalise but chose not to.

I don't think that was the case at all. We had front-loaded a season's worth of spend during COVID which limited us the following season.

We didn't spend a single penny that season and I doubt it was an accident.

Could be argued that we should've cashed in on one or two but Gerrard wasn't willing to do that.

The players had chucked it under Gio.

Losing 5 goals in 15 mins to Liverpool was the final straw.

The players had chucked it under Gio.

Losing 5 goals in 15 mins to Liverpool was the final straw.
That's what I mean in the first sentence when I said let's not rewrite history. Gio had to go at the time but what a shock that players had chucked it. Where have we seen that before?

Hadn’t Park stepped down before last summer’s spend spend spend?
Yep
Park didn’t let Beale spend, spend, spend.
It was the current board that were nieve enough to believe his bullshit and let him loose on his own.
Park was as tight as 2 coats of paint and is guilty for not backing Gio and then thinking it was a good idea to hire Beale but has nothing to do with the summer shitshow.

We didn't have anything to give Gerrard after winning the league.

He spent it the year before.
Was made very clear during 55 we'd exhausted every resource available for him to build his title winning team.

Gerrard's mood coming back pissed me off that summer. It was the first bit of adversity he'd faced in that department and, rather than sell to refresh, he took the huff then eventually bolted at the first chance he got. Was very poor from him imo.

We lost the opportunity to support Gerrard in the transfer market when we lost to Malmo in the Champions League qualifiers.

After he left we made the right appointment in Gio but failed to properly back him after the Europa League run and Champions League qualification. This plus the sale of Bassey and Aribo meant we were awash with cash but Gio was left with pennies to try and build a team capable of taking the league back off the tinks and staying competitive in Europe.

We get Beale, who was backed massively in the transfer market, but this season started dreadfully. The capitulation against PSV was forgiven, the league losses were not.

Clement has steadied the ship and we've clawed back almost all the lost ground in the league table. We've put pride back in the jersey and won silverware. We've got to find a way to back Clement in the window, or we could end up in a similar position to previous seasons come Christmas 2024.

This infers that we had the ability to spend money & capitalise but chose not to.

I don't think that was the case at all. We had front-loaded a season's worth of spend during COVID which limited us the following season.

We didn't spend a single penny that season and I doubt it was an accident.

Could be argued that we should've cashed in on one or two but Gerrard wasn't willing to do that.
They should have cashed in but they also told everyone that we had insurance on covid which in not sure has ever been realised in the the accounts since.

After 55 I can understand to an extent but we needed 2 players that summer that were starters and to move a few on.

After getting to seville, getting bassey into amazing form and getting to cl we did not back gio he earned us basically 60 mill in 6 months, we spent 10-12 that summer on edminston house before any sponsorships came in for it later from park.

But damage was done we again went for punts mainly ridvan is actually starting to be player we wanted if not so injury prone.

The board were delighted to post a profit while the team had needed surgery for 2 years. It should have been delayed until we were winning .

I'm similar I think the parks had a major impact on the change in how we operated but probably also some of the players attitudes ie renewing contacts or moving on.

Our recruitment has killed us Wilson was poor but I think he also was restricted by the board the bacuna deal made us money but a club or size taking a player for free with a 50% sell on it was creative at least.

The more you hear the more you feel sorry fir him Wilson absolutely shafted him
Gio was equally culpable in the shafting with his tactics.

The shame for Gio was that Beale got to spend the Aribo/Bassey money across 2 windows. Those windows have left us with probably 1 asset to make money on (3 at a push - Butland, Cantwell and Danilo).

I’m not sure how much ‘serious’ money PC will have beyond freed up wages.

Was made very clear during 55 we'd exhausted every resource available for him to build his title winning team.

Gerrard's mood coming back pissed me off that summer. It was the first bit of adversity he'd faced in that department and, rather than sell to refresh, he took the huff then eventually bolted at the first chance he got. Was very poor from him imo.
Gerrard was brilliant for us and I'll be forever grateful to him for dragging us out of the gutter, but the summer after 55 pissed me off no end too. For the squad to be so poorly prepared for the Malmo tie was ridiculous and taints his legacy. Was also a big reason why I wasn't that keen on Beale coming back as manager - he was as culpable as Gerrard for the Malmo debacle.

Gio's tactics for the domestic stuff were terrible and he refused to change them. That imv is why he lost the players and ultimately his job.

Passing the ball about the horseshoe hoping to draw teams out of their shape doesn't work for us. As we found out, Scottish opposition quite happy to sit in their shape and play for a point.

We didn't have anything to give Gerrard after winning the league.

He spent it the year before.
That didn't stop John Bennett going on an interview on podcast to say we would get quality over quantity that summer and we still paying for it now when we had chance at time to put foot to throat now playing catch up again.

Yep
Park didn’t let Beale spend, spend, spend.
It was the current board that were nieve enough to believe his bullshit and let him loose on his own.
Park was as tight as 2 coats of paint and is guilty for not backing Gio and then thinking it was a good idea to hire Beale but has nothing to do with the summer shitshow.
Beale was Parks preferred candidate and summer spending was all agreed on offering him the post as part of an overall board decision. A shit show generally occurs because of a terrible decision, and it's incredible how anyone could think Beale would be a better option than Gio.

There isn’t a manager who has ever managed a club didn’t have players they would have rather had or wanted.

In Gio's case it was quite obvious his fingerprints were not over purchases we made. Yes he might have approved them but it was more pick C or D not A or B.

You’ve really gone long in the “I don’t know but I think” department without actually saying it B-)

Gio's tactics for the domestic stuff were terrible and he refused to change them. That imv is why he lost the players and ultimately his job.

Passing the ball about the horseshoe hoping to draw teams out of their shape doesn't work for us. As we found out, Scottish opposition quite happy to sit in their shape and play for a point.
Tbh he wanted to play the same way clement is trying to just now but very quickly realised the players we had didn't suit it and changed back to Gerrards formation

The recruitment was horrendous and ultimately had to rely on players Gerrard only meant for a quick fix to get us back

Is not a simple as saying one player changes it it doesn't the inverted fbs mean the cbs have a lot of ground to cover and it's don't have a lot of pace. It worked for gio when we had bassey as his pace meant we could hold a higher line

It's why Lundstram drops back so much. But our up front doesn't support as much either in defence it then leaves the midfield all over the place with to many runners to track.

When we are attacking the front players arnt moving dropping deep rotating with inverted fbs and keys not mention holding up the ball etc is taking the good parts out of tavs game.

Our cbs are not athletic enough to play this way, and our front 3 are not good enough

The injuries hadn't really helped this year has killed us but this is really where clement should have said to himself OK needed to be more pragmatic in done of our games.

When he gets his own players in then we will be in a better place.

Back