Gio wanted Maatsen

Lundstram I get but was basically a replacement for Davis who we couldn't really do without at the time

Sakala was worth it I think his numbers would have been great under Beale and Clement as well his pace terrified teams.

I think there's two sides to it with Gerrard yes definately he took the huff and didn't want players to be sold.

But when we won 55 he was excited about the signings I suspect promises were made on players then changed and then was well if I'm not getting anyone to replace we can't sell anyone.

it lead to the issues with the team since.

Nor selling Alfie was a mistake by the board unlucky timing more as I think without the injury we win the el and prob sell him that summer he would have bullied that frankfurt def....... although we more than made our money with Alfie for what we paid.

Kent if hadnt signed in the summer he should have been sold after el final as well especially with what we paid for him

I get the covid season and understand to an extent but board did totally screw gio over we had money should have invested in quality
I think you may well be correct and I think since winning 55 we've seriously lacked leadership. I think Clement alluded to this when he was angry at the amount of players we had that were out of contract.

We lost the opportunity to support Gerrard in the transfer market when we lost to Malmo in the Champions League qualifiers.

After he left we made the right appointment in Gio but failed to properly back him after the Europa League run and Champions League qualification. This plus the sale of Bassey and Aribo meant we were awash with cash but Gio was left with pennies to try and build a team capable of taking the league back off the tinks and staying competitive in Europe.

We get Beale, who was backed massively in the transfer market, but this season started dreadfully. The capitulation against PSV was forgiven, the league losses were not.

Clement has steadied the ship and we've clawed back almost all the lost ground in the league table. We've put pride back in the jersey and won silverware. We've got to find a way to back Clement in the window, or we could end up in a similar position to previous seasons come Christmas 2024.
Clements been the best manager since 2012, after Gerrard, by quite a distance. We have to give him time, the improvements there for all to see, he needs to be allowed to continue or it will be the same story a year on from now.

Gio was a cup manager. He knows how to win a 2 legged tie. He sees it as a game of chess over 180 minutes and he’s dn good at it. He set us up for a 1-0 loss in Braga for example. One they would have been happy with too.

It’s no surprise he struggled a lot more in a league setting - including a league of 4 in the CL.
Gio's tenure coincided with the scum going on a domestic run where they dropped a ridiculously small number of points. People talk about him losing a 4 point lead when he arrived, but when your rivals win every game they play there's not a lot you can do about that.

Similarly why I don't buy too much into the notion that Clement dragged us back into the title race from being 8 points behind. The main reason for this is the scum dropped so many points, on average we've picked up roughly the same number of points as we did under Gio & Beale.

Ultimately, any manager will be judged by where we are in comparison to them and, other than the head to heads, there's not a lot you can do if they go on a huge winning streak - which is where Gio was very unlucky.

Last edited:
Gio's tenure coincided with the scum going on a domestic run where they dropped a ridiculously small number of points. People talk about him losing a 4 point lead when he arrived, but when your rivals win every game they play there's not a lot you can do about that.

Similarly why I don't buy too much into the notion that Clement dragged us back into the title race from being 8 points behind. The main reason for this is the scum dropped so many points, on average we've picked up roughly the same number of points as we did under Gio & Beale.

Ultimately, any manager will be judged by where we are in comparison to them and, other than the head to heads, there's not a lot you can do if they go on a huge winning streak - which is where Gio was very unlucky.
Clement also had to win points to coincide with the dark side dropping points, doing so with a lop sided squad of injured and bruised easily misfits. You should definitely start buying into the notion that Clement has brought us any semblance of hope in what was a horrific opening phase of the season, embarrassed by PSV and losing 3 games in a week under Beale. Thanks but no thanks, I've bought into Clement

because the chairman said in the accounts we invested 21 mill into the playing squad in the summer. Though that will include wages.

Imho we brought in more than we paid and reduced wage bill significantly with Beale ..... and it does show.

Gio helped bring in prob something like 50 mill with seville/cl/ and Bassey into form of his life that's not included the 6 mill for aribo

He spent some no where near the 21 mill the chairman says Beale got

We started down sizing with Beale big time again it shows
I do not believe for a second our summer business cost £21m

I know we say it did, but I'm not buying it.

I do not believe for a second our summer business cost £21m

I know we say it did, but I'm not buying it.
Me either it will include wages etc

He can't lie on official shareholder comms so the use of invested in playing squad could mean a lot of things being added while being vague

What baffles me is van Bronckhorst sets up a team tactically perfect in EL games and in the semi final at Hampden against Celtic, Bassey man for man on Rogic was genius and brave.
Yet when he took us to Celtic park we may as well have bent over.
He couldn’t set us up to beat dross either.

Let’s also not pretend he didn’t get backed. Did he get his first choice targets? Probably not, but not many managers will.
He cost himself his job.
I was clear at the time of his appointment that I didn’t like him and didn’t want him back, so I’m not going to blow smoke up his arse now he is away either. He done tremendously in EL and CL qualifiers, one cup aside he was terrible domestically.
He absolutely crumbled at the Piggery. Shat it from making a sub /subs at 0-2 when everyone in the stadium knew the scum were scoring again.

He then returned months later, played to try and contain them and made the exact same mistakes again.

Again they ran over the top of us.

He absolutely crumbled at the Piggery. Shat it from making a sub /subs at 0-2 when everyone in the stadium knew the scum were scoring again.

He then returned months later, played to try and contain them and made the exact same mistakes again.

Some of the worst OF displays I can remember, just basically bent over.

Using your logic then no team ever really deserves credit for winning anything as it was the failure of the other teams that means they were successful?

Weird outlook.

Me either it will include wages etc

He can't lie on official shareholder comms so the use of invested in playing squad could mean a lot of things being added while being vague
The real issue with GVB's signings wasn't the amount spent, at least in my opinion.

Many are assuming, granted GVB's comments fuel the discussion, that he basically missed out on every single top target he had and that the players brought in weren't his.

I'm not sure how accurate that can be. We could easily list several players Beale, Gerrard and even Clement missed out on.

I've always felt that GVB wasn't strong enough with the staff, players and execs around him. Beale & Clement so far seem to have gotten their way in this area.

GVB would not be almost 2 years unemployed if even some of this revisionism was true.

The real issue with GVB's signings wasn't the amount spent, at least in my opinion.

Many are assuming, granted GVB's comments fuel the discussion, that he basically missed out on every single top target he had and that the players brought in weren't his.

I'm not sure how accurate that can be. We could easily list several players Beale, Gerrard and even Clement missed out on.

I've always felt that GVB wasn't strong enough with the staff, players and execs around him. Beale & Clement so far seem to have gotten their way in this area.

GVB would not be almost 2 years unemployed if even some of this revisionism was true.
It's all vague

Though I suspect we are probably still paying gio and that's why he has resurfaced on social media as contact would be up this summer I think

Clement also had to win points to coincide with the dark side dropping points, doing so with a lop sided squad of injured and bruised easily misfits. You should definitely start buying into the notion that Clement has brought us any semblance of hope in what was a horrific opening phase of the season, embarrassed by PSV and losing 3 games in a week under Beale. Thanks but no thanks, I've bought into Clement
I'm completely behind Clement and I don't think there's any doubt that he's levels above Beale in quality. I look forward to seeing how he overhauls the squad in the close season, but will he be afforded the time that is likely required to get us to where we need to be? Does the support have the patience to allow him 2 or 3 transfer windows for that to happen? Or will the knives be sharpened if we drop points and fall 6 or 7 pts behind them early next season?

We were a bawhair away from making it 1-1 - Aribo overhit the simple pass to Arfield breaking on goal (or vice versa, can't remember) The players need to take responsibility for a shit performance sometimes, manager carries the can too often imo.

That's just not true though, is it?
He was meaning automatic qualification possibly could have enabled Gio to purchase Reijnders, Doekhi and Maatsen.

Reijnders Transfermarkt value is 23 million euros
Doekhi 17 million euros.
Maatsen 30 million euros.

They would all likely combined sell for around 100 million euros now though.

Maatsen we would likely be looking at a loan prob never a chance of permanent.
Doekhi we actually did try to sign and were close but he chose Union Berlin.
Reijnders it seems Bert Konterman advised him to stay with AZ he is now flying at Ac Milan.

That's just not true though, is it?
Think about it.
We would have been got the winners money, been seed one in the group that Eintracht Frankfurt got, Gio would have got a chunk of the players he wanted.
We would have done ok in the UCL, we would have probably won the SPFL as we would have had five or six proper quality players.
We would have a second decent UCL campaign.
We would have never seen Michael Beale and his sh!t crop of players and Wilson would been out the door much earlier.
Gio may well have been appointed to an EPL side by now and maybe big Phil would still be the manager. But he would’ve taken over a much stronger, Rangers..
We would be well ahead now and looking at a second consecutive title.
With the expanded UCL coming up, we would be going into it.

If you add up all of that, I reckon it comes to well over €100m+

Last edited:
He was meaning automatic qualification possibly could have enabled Gio to purchase Reijnders, Doekhi and Maatsen.

Reijnders Transfermarkt value is 23 million euros
Doekhi 17 million euros.
Maatsen 30 million euros.

They would all likely combined sell for around 100 million euros now though.

Maatsen we would likely be looking at a loan prob never a chance of permanent.
Doekhi we actually did try to sign and were close but he chose Union Berlin.
Reijnders it seems Bert Konterman advised him to stay with AZ he is now flying at Ac Milan.

I understood all of this when I said what I said.

It's still utter tripe.

We approached Doehki & he rejected us, Reijnders probably knew he could do better than us (and did) and I'd imagine it was the same with Maatsen.

European income doesn't alter our summer spending, ever. So to say winning the Europa was the difference between them all joining or.not is totally wrong

Back