Hamilton - playing on grass pitch for only 3rd time this season tomorrow!

Ironically, Stirling Albion were the first team to have an astro pitch in Scotland in the 80's, and they were the only club in League 1 this season to have a grass pitch!

That is exactly the reason, and I’m not a fan of the club by any stretch, I want Partick Thistle to win tonight. No possibility of a plastic pitch coming into the league and I believed Kilmarnock are digging theirs up?

I would have no problem with setting up a plastic pitch league in Scotland. Accies, Killie, Falkirk etc could rake in cash from kids having a kickabout in November . Let them fight it out for most revenue raised from kids playing fives.

Please let this me the last season we have professional players being paid millions trying to guess how high the ball will bounce.

That is exactly the reason, and I’m not a fan of the club by any stretch, I want Partick Thistle to win tonight. No possibility of a plastic pitch coming into the league and I believed Kilmarnock are digging theirs up?
The old Anfield, it was absolutely terrible and solid, I trained on it for a youth international squad. It was brick hard and dangerous.

Tbh I can definitely see the benefits of the 4g pitches in the lower leagues, Accies for example use their pitch every night for all their youth academy games and training.
Morton, majority owned by the fans have one of the best grass pitches in the country. If they can do it, why can't any other team do it? Absolute nonsense that a professional football team have a plastic pitch. No excuse whatsoever.

Ironically, Stirling Albion were the first team to have an astro pitch in Scotland in the 80's, and they were the only club in League 1 this season to have a grass pitch!
Their astro pitch at Annfield was horrendous.

I've still got skin missing from playing on it.

Morton, majority owned by the fans have one of the best grass pitches in the country. If they can do it, why can't any other team do it? Absolute nonsense that a professional football team have a plastic pitch. No excuse whatsoever.
Do Morton use it for all their acadamy training and games?

Geniune question btw.

All I said was I can see the benefits of it for lower league teams like Hamilton.

Not sure. I know they used to have a training pitch at Quarriers Village. They are on a very limited budget and have been for many years with average crowds about 1500-2000 max. Pitch has been recognised as one of the best for at least a decade. As said, small club like that, owned by fans can do it (Hamilton arguably bigger club or similar for quite a while) then why can't others?

The old Anfield, it was absolutely terrible and solid, I trained on it for a youth international squad. It was brick hard and danger
Not sure. I know they used to have a training pitch at Quarriers Village. They are on a very limited budget and have been for many years with average crowds about 1500-2000 max. Pitch has been recognised as one of the best for at least a decade. As said, small club like that, owned by fans can do it (Hamilton arguably bigger club or similar for quite a while) then why can't others?
Haven't used Quarriers for a while. I believe they train at Port Juniors astroturf park.Think thats where their ladies team play as well

Makes a lot of financial sense for clubs in the lower divisions. Especially those like Accies who pride themselves on youth development.
What about if they get promoted? All the money made renting out the astro, would be spent relaying a grass pitch.

What about if they get promoted? All the money made renting out the astro, would be spent relaying a grass pitch.
A lot of these lower leagues are just aiming to survive and plastic pitches offer extra income. Premiership clubs should have grass pitches imo but held to a certain standard. I’d rather have some of the astros in the Scottish game than grass pitches like Dens or McDiarmid.

Reactions: M@x
Totally agree and would go further and say the grass pitches need to meet a minimum standard. Pitches like Dens and McDermid Park really aren't an improvement on plastic.
Funnily enough astro pitches have a minimum standard to achieve and are checked independently against these benchmarks through the season.

Grass pitches are checked once pre season.

I actually don't mind a good astro surface, what needs changed is the minimum standard so the pitches are like Starks Park and the Excelsior rather than Livi or Killie.

What the %^*& have they got to moan about. They were amongst the first offenders.
Don’t think they’re moaning. Merely pointing out an odd statistic.

Sad indictment of the game up here that 9 of the 10 League 1 teams have plastic now.

I get that at that level it’s a financial thing but it’s odd when you see junior sides with immaculate grass parks.

Thanks for the info, wasnt sure.

As said, they are a small outfit who produce a decent playing surface and do a decent job in the league for the crowds they get. Perfect example of why no professional football team needs a plastic pitch.

It really shows there should only be 2 professional divisions, and they have to be grass

I get why below that they are good for finances
I posted this before but when Harrogate were promoted in to League 2 then had to rip up their plastic pitch as they're not allowed in the English Football League. Fine for non-league but not the EFL

Reactions: TQ3
More worrying was the state of the Raith Rovers pitch last night and the thought of it getting into the premier league.

I posted this before but when Harrogate were promoted in to League 2 then had to rip up their plastic pitch as they're not allowed in the English Football League. Fine for non-league but not the EFL
Sutton also had one and Bromley who just got promoted to the EFL are having to do the same

Back