Highland/ Lowland play off Cancelled

And then in the West of Scotland League you have Beith who for the second year in a row will be blocking the pyramid due to them lacking floodlights amongst other things.
From EIAFF s post.
Should be written that to contest in that league, where you have a chance of getting to the League2 set up, that you have the licence before you even kick a ball. Should apply to this league also ,

Full License carry on is a bit of a joke to be honest really. Airdrie don’t even have a Bronze and they could be in the Premiership next season.

From EIAFF s post.
Should be written that to contest in that league, where you have a chance of getting to the League2 set up, that you have the licence before you even kick a ball. Should apply to this league also ,

So you want all Highland and Lowland League clubs to have Bronze entry as minimum? Totally unworkable.

So you want all Highland and Lowland League clubs to have Bronze entry as minimum? Totally unworkable.
as the Banks o'Dee chairman said a club could spend £20,000 and not get promoted , its just another hurdle , no SPFL side that has been relegated has been re-promoted

I wonder if down the line they will have a league below division two with clubs who do have the required licence and want to be promoted into division two.i do think it’s unfair that the winners of the highland and lowland league have to play a play off to decide who played the bottom team from div 2.the bottom team should be relegated and the winner of the highland/lowland league promoted.

Feel sorry for the playing staff being denied the chance to play senior football. Beyond tinpot from their board for not taking the chance to have their licensing issues sorted and progress into the senior league set up. Had to be a conscious choice on their part.

I wonder if down the line they will have a league below division two with clubs who do have the required licence and want to be promoted into division two.i do think it’s unfair that the winners of the highland and lowland league have to play a play off to decide who played the bottom team from div 2.the bottom team should be relegated and the winner of the highland/lowland league promoted.
The whole set up needs ripped apart.

Forgive my obvious stupidity, as everyone else seems to get it, but what is the point in Buckie playing if they don't want promoted?
The costs go up in the league above, but the revenues don't?

no club that has been relegated from the SPFL has made it back ........ why do you think this rule has went through ?
I think the league setup is a shambles and is very much set up for self preservation of the SPFL.

However, this reads like Buckie are happy where they are or don’t think the expenditure is worth the risk of not going up.

Feel sorry for the playing staff being denied the chance to play senior football. Beyond tinpot from their board for not taking the chance to have their licensing issues sorted and progress into the senior league set up. Had to be a conscious choice on their part.
A lot of them don't want to and happy to be the champions of the highlands. Should they just chuck it because they are forced to join a different league down to them being successful?

Buckie has a population of 9,000 apart from Elgin which is thirty minutes away and Peterhead which is about an hour and a half away, there are no clubs in league two within about three hours travel time with Stranraer about six hours away. This has been spoken about numerous times but the Scottish Leagues need to be totally redrawn. Personally I would like a sixteen team professional league with no relegation played August to May. With four regional pyramids below winners playing off for overall champions these leagues would play March to October. Somehow two cup competitions could be played in Spring and Autumn.
That’s a ridiculous idea mate, sorry but I would not watch that

A lot of them don't want to and happy to be the champions of the highlands. Should they just chuck it because they are forced to join a different league down to them being successful?
Yes, they know the prize so I would say so.

I assume and hope any bonuses for winning are also withdrawn

They might not have a Bronze Licence but do they have a pitch which is playable in early Spring?

LOL.
Buckie have been playing 3/4 games a week recently to get their fixtures completed because their pitch is similar to the Dundee FC pitch and floods very easily.

They even played a Cup Final the other night, which they lost on penalties.

Last edited:
A lot of them don't want to and happy to be the champions of the highlands. Should they just chuck it because they are forced to join a different league down to them being successful.
Fair enough. If there's no ambition in the club, or the playing staff, to play in the professional leagues then that's their choice. Still beyond tinpot though.

It is why we should regionalise beneath a top tier. (Expanded league or two sub divisions of 12 or so.) It would give smaller clubs greater revenue to put into infrastructure from more derby games rather than spending money on buses to travel the length of the country.

However, too many self-preservationists in Scottish football, from those running the game down to many individual clubs. No wonder licences are becoming a more and more difficult hoop to jump through.

Have their own league setup in that instance then or if every club in the Highland league has no ambition to be promoted give up the promotion spot. No need for the Lowland League on top of the West, East and South of Scotland leagues all the teams in that should go into whatever regional area they would fall in.

The whole pyramid system needs a shakeup even the current league setups as well.

I'd love to see Pollok come through the pyramid system, along with ambitious clubs, the likes of Talbot, Darvel, Kilbirnie, Cumnock, Clydebank, Johnstone Burgh etc.

They are not a big fish in a wee pond, nothing wrong with having no ambition to leave the highland league
the club just made a official statement on the buckie club website saying they have been in contact with spfl for sometime, so wonder what's really going on

I'd love to see Pollok come through the pyramid system, along with ambitious clubs, the likes of Talbot, Darvel, Kilbirnie, Cumnock, Clydebank, Johnstone Burgh etc.

The problem here is going into the Lowland League isn't very appealing. It's an awful league with a lot of teams from the West beating LL teams in cups, and will a Lok v Stirling Uni be as big a pull as Lok v Talbot /Darvel / Bankies or the big Ayrshire sides facing off v each other?

I'd rather stay in the West

Club statement

At 5pm today, Buckie Thistle FC received an email from the SPFL, stating that because the club do not comply with the SFA Bronze Licence criteria, and did not apply for a waiver or period of grace in respect of this non-compliance by the deadline of 31st March 2024, there will be no Play-Off Tie between Buckie Thistle FC and East Kilbride FC, and East Kilbride will automatically go forward to the Pyramid Play-Off Tie with Club 42.

However, we can confirm that the club has been in regular contact with the SFA in regard to the Bronze Licence criteria items, and we were in fact asked by the SPFL to ask for a period of grace for four of these items on Tuesday 23rd April, which we duly did.

Our Club President Garry Farquhar attended a meeting with the SFA on Wednesday 24th April, and we were granted Derogations for 3 items - Floodlights, Safety Officer and Diversity & Inclusion. One item - Medical – has been deferred until the 15th of May, but the club has committed to resolving the matter by May 10th.

It goes without saying that everyone at the club is stunned and devastated by the timing of this decision. It’s particularly harsh on the players and management, who put so much hard work into winning the Highland League title, that they don’t get the opportunity to go for promotion.

Buckie surely knew that?

Just don’t fancy going up?
No Highland league club, not even Brechin have the bronze licence required. Some league two clubs don't have it but they are exempt. It was a sudden rule change, made mid season, designed to keep non league clubs down and self preserve the league clubs. Ek are one of only very few lowland clubs who appear to have the licence. The whole thing is a farce. The facilities at Buckie are far better than anything you will see at the likes of Bonnyrigg for example.

I don’t blame Buckie , no point bankrupting themselves with the transport costs to away games / time off for their players for the ‘glamour’ of league 2

They are staying in their lane / being practical
Always wondered how the league 2 teams worked with part time. The likes of Stranraer away to Peterhead is a hell of a jaunt for part time players especially if it’s a midweek. Do they travel up and down on the same day or does the club put them up in a hotel? Must cost a fortune for the league 2 clubs

No Highland league club, not even Brechin have the bronze licence required. Some league two clubs don't have it but they are exempt. It was a sudden rule change, made mid season, designed to keep non league clubs down and self preserve the league clubs. Ek are one of only very few lowland clubs who appear to have the licence. The whole thing is a farce. The facilities at Buckie are far better than anything you will see at the likes of Bonnyrigg for example.
Bonnyrigg, kelty, edinburgh city and Spartans are teams who have appeared just in the last few years. What kind of support if any do they have? Cove Rangers too

Bonnyrigg, kelty, edinburgh city and Spartans are teams who have appeared just in the last few years. What kind of support if any do they have? Cove Rangers too
I've no problem with any club getting promoted but I do have a problem with spfl backed rule changes designed to keep clubs down. Especially clubs with a proper football tradition such as Buckie Thistle.

It appears the club have been in contact with SFA/SPFL but rug has well and truly been pulled

I don’t blame Buckie , no point bankrupting themselves with the transport costs to away games / time off for their players for the ‘glamour’ of league 2

They are staying in their lane / being practical
It's not like that. Buckie have done what we'd love more clubs to do and that is stick the middle finger up to the spfl. Buckie ignored three letters from them because they would not accept the corrupt self preservence rule changes being dictated to them. Buckie deserve a pat on the back.

Back