How Do Clement and Koppen Turn The Playing Squad Around?

In my view they don’t.
Posted a lot that we need radical new owners I joked “Red Bull Rangers” not so funny now. Need to clear out players and question this manager also bizarre team selections even more bizarre substitutions so is he the right man? Personally I have my doubts but maybe he deserves a chance to get players in and out.
Then we need to address the stadium capacity in a meaningful way and there are a lot of other infrastructure issues around the stadium.
The current owners may be well meaning “Rangers men” but to operate in modern football we need far more money. As it stands we are fast becoming Hearts with a bigger stadium and support and that IS NOT The Rangers.
New owners doesn't put money into the bank account whilst complying with FFP. Spending £50m on the stadium also doesn't provide immediate money to fix the squad. £6m extra season ticket sales only starts to pay back the cost of redevelopment.

A lot of freed up wages in Summer from mcglochlin, Barasic, Jack, Roofe, Lundstram that's easily 100k plus a week there and that's just for starters. Need Tav, Goldson and Davies moved on. A clean slate for Koppen in the summer and we need to get this summer right.

Tin hat etc but I don’t see Clement being the answer as our forward play is dross. Teams have worked it out now. Sit deep and give away corners and we can’t break them down.

See PCs Monaco for reference.

Let all expiring contracts run out. Not one of them should be retained.

Do the absolute best to get buyers for Goldson and Tavernier. They are done.

Look to more creative markets than previous regimes. Diomande, Cortes and the Jefte links suggest we're already doing this under Koppen.

Try and bring in a young Scottish contingent. Lewis Ferguson before he goes to Serie A. There are players in this league we could bring in, improve, and get plenty of joy out of on the park and on the balance sheet down the road.

Sadly, whatever we do costs money and that has to come from somewhere. Do you sell Butland, Ridvan? We should be opening up a significant amount of salary expenditure with expiring deals, so that's a positive at least.

I fear we'll bring in 3-4 players and keep the majority of this squad because we don't have the money, or ambition, to do anything more.
Who in this league?

Tin hat etc but I don’t see Clement being the answer as our forward play is dross. Teams have worked it out now. Sit deep and give away corners and we can’t break them down.

See PCs Monaco for reference.
Our expected goals of our last five league matches, which we have only won one of is 2.56. Our average per match for the season is 2.35 if you want to compare.

So no, teams haven't "worked it out". Yesterday was poor but overall we're still creating chances, we just have a poor striker who needs 4 or 5 quality chances created for him between goals. An actual clinical striker would be hitting 25 goals in the league for us.

Our expected goals of our last five league matches, which we have only won one of is 2.56. Our average per match for the season is 2.35 if you want to compare.

So no, teams haven't "worked it out". Yesterday was poor but overall we're still creating chances, we just have a poor striker who needs 4 or 5 quality chances created for him between goals. An actual clinical striker would be hitting 25 goals in the league for us.
Correct.

For all people are ranting about Tav and Goldson, we've got the best defensive record in the league.

It remains, as it has been for several seasons, at the other end of the park where the big issue is.
Quite simply, for the amount of good chances we make, not enough of them end up in the net. We are reliant on our right back for goals and assists and have been for several years now.

Is Danilo that striker? Time will tell. He's played less than 1000 minutes, but has 6 goals and 5 assists in that time, but he can't do it alone so we need a competent backup. I think Sima will be out of our reach unless it's another loan.

No new contracts for players at end of their deals.

Every single player up for sale and generate as much income as possible.

Then rebuild with whatever we have and use B team players to make up the squad.
It's hard to disagree with this approach but at the same time it's very difficult to see a team made up of our B team and players acquired on a shoestring budget winning the league next season. Especially when the scum get another injection of CL money.

I believe in Clement but things may have to get worse before they get better I fear. Let's see if PC can survive a period like that - no easy feat when you consider how quickly GVB was emptied after taking us to the Europa League final.

It's hard to disagree with this approach but at the same time it's very difficult to see a team made up of our B team and players acquired on a shoestring budget winning the league next season. Especially when the scum get another injection of CL money.

I believe in Clement but things may have to get worse before they get better I fear. Let's see if PC can survive a period like that - no easy feat when you consider how quickly GVB was emptied after taking us to the Europa League final.

We need to be smart in the transfer market and start picking up some. Scottish players when they are available on Bosmans.

Kenny Mclean, Ryan Portoues, Shankland, Lewis Ferguson, just a few examples of players we could have got in for free and would have been ideal sqaud players who know the league.

Mcburnie and Mcnair would be a start 2 solid international players with EPL and experience.

That was a chance for they players last night to show how much they wanted tk win a league and go down as Rangers legends and they played it like a pre season friendly.

I would love to see 99% of them emptied, I have auto renewed my season ticket but seriuosly if I knew for certain that guys like Goldson and Lundstram were to be there earning 30k + a week while I am working extra shifts to cover the cost of 2 season tickets (£1600) I would have considered renewing.

We are been taking for mugs now with these chances

The most galling thing is we were discussing the exact same things last season - we need a clear out, there's too many to shift in one go, and we lack the funds to adequately replace.

Another year of development pissed away.

Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram, McLaughlin, Roofe - out of contract, gone. Decent amount of wages saved.

Davies - you'd hope we'd find a buyer in England. He's had 5 seasons as a regular in the Championship down there. You've got to think a club has the money to match his wages and pay a fee. He's in his "prime"...

Goldson - difficult to shift on his reported wages but definitely worth exploring. He's Championship level and his CV, as it were, would be quite impressive to some.

Cifuentes, Dowell, Lawrence, Raskin - you'd hope to get a fee and get them off the wage bill. There's ability in there with each of them but they don't have the mentality to take us forward so they've got to go. Dowell and Lawrence have spent years playing in the Championship (Dowell even had a season in the Premier League!) so you'd think there would be some interest there.

Dessers, Lammers, Matondo, Wright - anything we can get for these guys to get them off the wage bill and far away from a Rangers teamsheet. No lack of effort on the part of Dessers or Wright, but there's a lack of ability. As for Matondo, great pace, a good strike in his locker but he's very limited and his reported wages need to be available for better players. Lammers, technically good, heart of a mouse but performance on loan should net us a fee.

So, 6 definitely out the door to free up wages. A further 10 to try to punt for fees where possible and to get them off the wage bill.
Can't disagree with any of that, hopefully the bulk of it can happen.

New owners doesn't put money into the bank account whilst complying with FFP. Spending £50m on the stadium also doesn't provide immediate money to fix the squad. £6m extra season ticket sales only starts to pay back the cost of redevelopment.
There's ways and means mate. Everyone get 'excited' about Manchester City & Chelsea. Yet Real Madrid can spend £1bn on a stadium and aren't breaching FFP? Football is corrupt.

Sign footballers with experience at winning shiny things or a background at a winning elite environment

They are out there

With great difficulty.

Need to clear out the dead wood. Bring in some young domestic talent to use as rotation/squad options and hope that we can bring in 2 or 3 first team starters in the summer. Then repeat the following summer.

We need to be smart in the transfer market and start picking up some. Scottish players when they are available on Bosmans.

Kenny Mclean, Ryan Portoues, Shankland, Lewis Ferguson, just a few examples of players we could have got in for free and would have been ideal sqaud players who know the league.

Mcburnie and Mcnair would be a start 2 solid international players with EPL and experience.

That was a chance for they players last night to show how much they wanted tk win a league and go down as Rangers legends and they played it like a pre season friendly.

I would love to see 99% of them emptied, I have auto renewed my season ticket but seriuosly if I knew for certain that guys like Goldson and Lundstram were to be there earning 30k + a week while I am working extra shifts to cover the cost of 2 season tickets (£1600) I would have considered renewing.

Have to disagree on some of your player choices, McLean, McBurnie, and McNair are at the wrong end of their careers and would command wages probably upwards of £20k a week. We have to get away from that aging player bracket whether experienced or not. Shankland is what 28 I think. So he’s heading to the latter end of his career too, but he’s; proven in Scotland and he won’t command as big wages. I’d be amazed if he’s on £5k a week at Hearts. we can and certainly double or triple that to get him. And absolutely we should have went for Ferguson while at Aberdeen or even at St Mirren. But we blew that.

Which is why we should look at Watson at Killie, Miller at Motherwell and even that lad McCowan from last night now, before they get snapped up by Hearts or Aberdeen and they put a premium on them.

While I’m on about young Scottish players, I’d go back and get Mayo from Killie and Stephen Kelly from Livi. IMO 2 very good young players who are Rangers reared and should know exactly what it’s about. Mayo getting loads of plaudits at Killie, and although Kelly’s time at Livi hadn’t been as great I really liked that lad while at us and thought if he could have been given a proper run would turn into a very good player for us. Very good passer of the ball. Put it this way would he have been any worse than Raskin, or had more appearances than Jack perhaps if he’d stayed.

A clear out of the old guard is needed, no mater how difficult it is...

100%. We all know though if we win on Sunday, and again the following week to go level on points, as well as put up a decent display at Celtic Park the following week and make a decent fist of the last few games we'll all start to change our minds again on this group. Especially if they win the Scottish Cup.

I'm very, very guilty of it.

I hope Clement though, and Koppen, have seen enough to know that the old guard, Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Lundstrum, Balogun, Wright, Roofe, Jack and others all need to go. Or at least those under contract are made squad players and replaced with players not associated with these constant collapses and weak mindsets.

Would also say, in any rebuild. We should absolutely go nowhere near. English football unless it’s to grab youth players like a Sterling or Bassey and again we shouldn’t be throwing lots of money at them wages wise.
Hopefully Clement and Koppen and the new Scout will be concentrating on the European markets for young skillful players along with the best of a Scottish prospect in our youths or at other sides.

Let's be honest who is going to take tav and goldson on roughly 60k+ ?

It's going to be really difficult to get rid of them however if we see either in the line up come the first game we are fu©ked before we even start.May aswell hand the other lot a 55th league title now!

I don’t think it will be as hard to get rid of goldson and tav. Always available and English for home grown. Championship clubs like Birmingham sheff United would take I’d imagine.

Clemente has been making some strange comments post match recently "bossing games etc" ,when we quite clearly haven't been.
makes me wonder if he is up to the task of making us winners ,or is it dawning on him,that this is more than he can handle and maybe cut his losses?.

I don’t think it will be as hard to get rid of goldson and tav. Always available and English for home grown. Championship clubs like Birmingham sheff United would take I’d imagine.
They don't pay those kind of wages , see Laurence. Sheffield united stated we blew them out of the water with our wage offer .....

Have to disagree on some of your player choices, McLean, McBurnie, and McNair are at the wrong end of their careers and would command wages probably upwards of £20k a week. We have to get away from that aging player bracket whether experienced or not. Shankland is what 28 I think. So he’s heading to the latter end of his career too, but he’s; proven in Scotland and he won’t command as big wages. I’d be amazed if he’s on £5k a week at Hearts. we can and certainly double or triple that to get him. And absolutely we should have went for Ferguson while at Aberdeen or even at St Mirren. But we blew that.

Which is why we should look at Watson at Killie, Miller at Motherwell and even that lad McCowan from last night now, before they get snapped up by Hearts or Aberdeen and they put a premium on them.

While I’m on about young Scottish players, I’d go back and get Mayo from Killie and Stephen Kelly from Livi. IMO 2 very good young players who are Rangers reared and should know exactly what it’s about. Mayo getting loads of plaudits at Killie, and although Kelly’s time at Livi hadn’t been as great I really liked that lad while at us and thought if he could have been given a proper run would turn into a very good player for us. Very good passer of the ball. Put it this way would he have been any worse than Raskin, or had more appearances than Jack perhaps if he’d stayed.

Kelly and Mayo should have been kept and used as squad players and maybe then could have broken into team.

Only way am saying Burnie and Mcnair is with a massive turnover they are both experienced players and with the amount of wages we are going to free up these guys would make sense imo

Shankland I understand why we didn't pay the £4m Hearts wanted but we could have had him for free a couple of times and never took a chance it would have been a low risk and he could have solved a lot of issues when you see how his career has progressed, it might not have followed that trajectory at Rangers but would have been worth the chance.

Agree with the young players you suggested we should be having a look at them.

Not suggesting we sign Kenny Mclean now but twice he's been available for free in past 5 years and would have done a job for us.

unfortunately we need the scums model of bringing through young (and cheap) players as well as a mix of talented loans and relatively cheap wage early-mid 20's players

Hopefully Koppen has this

We are going to have bite the bullet and start from the beginning , The Dutch teams do it regularly , The way we are carrying on at present carrying that wage bill with a combination of serial losers , paying too much for duds and not selling on at correct times , Our model at present is totally unsustainable .

First and foremost there has got to be an appetite to do so. The Manager has to sit down with the board and tell them his expectations. After his bizarre interview last night there has to be doubts about willingness to bin the underachieving losers.

Also the board will have to come up with money for any potential rebuild. The fact that there are several underachievers sitting on megabucks contracts make this very difficult to move them on and cash in

We better hope somebody comes in for:
Butland
Matondo
Hagi
Raskin
Lammers

That should net between £15-20 million. If we add £10 million net spend to that then we should have enough to add 5 or 6 genuine 1st team players.
The issue being we need to be signing 10 outfield players who can all play first 11 and if starting as subs won’t weaken the team when coming off the bench.

By bringing in footballers who know what to do with the ball at their feet. We honestly need 2 strikers, 2 wingers, 2/3 midfielders, 2 centre backs, left back and a right back. We need a whole new starting 11. The two wingers part can be solved by bringing back sima and Cortes. They both look good enough.

Big challenge is that wholesale changes will likely work against us regards available finance/quality player ratio and also in the time taken for getting them all bedded in.

That said, Diomonde and Cortez picked up at a pretty reasonable pace and if Koppen can get like players in (esp on a loan with obligation to buy for extending buying power), then it might not be so difficult.

I ag
Without sounding over dramatic it is going to require the largest rebuild in recent times.
I agree it will. However its impossible for it to happen in one.go. however fans will never accept that. If Clement let's the 7 go and we only replace with young cheap salaried players saying it's a work in progress it won't be accepted. The overpaid players who no other teams want will still be here. Cause they have contracts.

So expect the same long contracted players with 5 or 6 squad players. Diomande is staying and that's already costing us £4.3m so money will be tight to add any quality.

English Championship level is the standard of player that are currently failing, cannot see 2 more helping tbh
We will get more passion from the Rangers fan side of things, shame they aren't much better than what we have to supplement it

We are going to have to sell anyone of value - and that’s slim pickings - and pour it into a few genuine quality players. There is no way we can turnover 10-12 players with our finances. There will be a lot of familiar faces around the squad next year, sadly.
At least we can cut the wage bill with Jack, Roofe, Mclauchlin and Borna.

I would lose Lundstram and Balogun as well when we have the chance.

The downside is there are very little contracts expiring in 2025, possibly wright and lawrence ?

A lot of freed up wages in Summer from mcglochlin, Barasic, Jack, Roofe, Lundstram that's easily 100k plus a week there and that's just for starters. Need Tav, Goldson and Davies moved on. A clean slate for Koppen in the summer and we need to get this summer right.
Balogun s contract runs out too.

Agree with folk taking about moving away from the English market.

Need to focus on other leagues and players from this league too.

The likes of Watson, Shankland, Miovski, are players that can help. Need to stop being so snobbish about.

Souttar has been a positive for a large chunky of this dross period and plenty see his potential.

Add Watson, Miller, Miovski etc to that and might be in with a shout when you add that to players we can hopefully source from abroad.

By accepting the senior pros need removed from the club this summer. They have a weak mentality, are used to losing domestically, and cannot handle pressure. That is fact.

Secondly, we can no longer ignore the domestic Scottish market. It should never have happened. We are paying for poor expensive foreign recruitment. This side has no character or fight, togetherness or spirit.

There are numerous Scottish players that have slipped through our grasp for no good reason given the spending we have made on foreign duds.

We have a current wage bill in excess of Celtic, and we don’t have a side worthy of our club.

The Board have mismanaged football operations - which have been shambolic at the club behind the scenes - since Gerrard left.

They have a huge job.

We need to replace Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstram, Dessers, Left Wing, Right Wing at a minimum in terms of starting places, potentially only Tav could stay on next season to get us through to the next window.

I don't think Clement will be under illusions, but you need to add in the fact we need squad players capable of coming in, which Dowell, Lawerence, McCausland, Balogun aren't.

For me, the only ones to keep and build round would be Butland, Ridvan, Dio, Sterling, Cantwell.

Let's be honest who is going to take tav and goldson on roughly 60k+ ?

It's going to be really difficult to get rid of them however if we see either in the line up come the first game we are fu©ked before we even start.May aswell hand the other lot a 55th league title now!

Stick them on the bench it will soon sicken them not playing and do it this weekend to send out a message.

Someone down south will take a punt on them.

English Championship level is the standard of player that are currently failing, cannot see 2 more helping tbh
We will get more passion from the Rangers fan side of things, shame they aren't much better than what we have to supplement it

Yeah I agree on that but they are only a couple to supplement the sqaud as experience and both these guys at a good age played in EPL and internationals.

It's a massive rebuilding job on our hands I think they 2 would be solid enough signings.

I won't be sad to see any of the current lot go.

We have lost a lot of qaulity over past 2 seasons Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Arfield, Davis, Aribo, Helander add in jack and roofe being perma crocks these guys on form added a lot to sqaud - I get we held onto Kent, Morelos 2 long but we replaced them with worse players and it's biting us now.

The team and players have given up and I don't think last night is even the low point of the current collapse.

Back