How many players required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockwork Tangerine

With a number of players out of contract and a number most likely needing to be offloaded how many do we need to bring in?

Looking at squad its safe to say Balogun, Jack, McLaughlin, Silva, Barasic, Davies, Lowry and Roofe will definitely be on their way. If we can't agree deal with Brighton, Sima also will be off.

Lundstram most likely will be on his way, I don't see us improving his terms at his age, Goldson and possibly Tav maybe need to be moved on now, Cortes been injured for most part of his spell so has he shown us enough for us to do the deal with a risk in regards to his recovery?

Dessers will surely be moved on as will Scott Wright.

How many of the above do we think there is value keeping and with that in mind how many realistically do we need to bring in?

15 players above is some overhaul of the squad and is it realistic to have that level of clearout? It is needed however is it feasible?

There is not many of them you would be desperate to keep and for that reason its going to be difficult to move them on.

Butland and Souttar are the only 2 that are well worth their wages but ofcourse that means Jack could be off to EPL. If we are skint at least our kids should get a chance i still believe in Lowry and Devine that side is missing the fire, fight and aggression young Scots would give you every single match.

I would expect anywhere up to 15 out and around 10 coming in. Generally that's too many player changes but needs to be done. Hopefully after that the numbers settle down . Given our transfer record I would not put any money on it.

With a number of players out of contract and a number most likely needing to be offloaded how many do we need to bring in?

Looking at squad its safe to say Balogun, Jack, McLaughlin, Silva, Barasic, Davies, Lowry and Roofe will definitely be on their way. If we can't agree deal with Brighton, Sima also will be off.

Lundstram most likely will be on his way, I don't see us improving his terms at his age, Goldson and possibly Tav maybe need to be moved on now, Cortes been injured for most part of his spell so has he shown us enough for us to do the deal with a risk in regards to his recovery?

How many of the above do we think there is value keeping and with that in mind how many realistically do we need to bring in?

15 players above is some overhaul of the squad and is it realistic to have that level of clearout? It is needed however is it feasible?
We ask this question every summer mate. It all depends on if we don't make an arse of them again.

I would expect anywhere up to 15 out and around 10 coming in. Generally that's too many player changes but needs to be done. Hopefully after that the numbers settle down . Given our transfer record I would not put any money on it.
In an ideal world that would be the case but other than the players out of contract it's not always as easy to offload players that you want to replace. Would expect about 5/6 coming in.

We'll lose through ooc and returning loanees:

McLaughlin, Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe, Lovelace, Silva, Cortes and Sima.

That's ten before you factor in the players out on loan who if we're being honest aren't fancied :

Devine, Hagi, Lammers and Lowry.

If we can't afford Sima and Cortes we'll be fourteen down before you even start to consider moving on any of :
Butland ( for funds ), Tav ( for funds), Davies ( if he'll go ), Yilmaz ( for funds), Lawrence, Wright, Dessers or Matondo.

I think we'll ship a record number of players this summer regardless. As much as that's far from ideal it's probably necessary.

There will be as many as 15 leaving I reckon and most won't be missed.

Our biggest issue will be getting rid of those on big money and still under contract i.e Davies, Goldson, Matondo etc.

For talking sake if 15 do leave I expect us to only replace them with 7 or 8 and most of them being starters. Our squad is full of absolute deadwood and there's no need to replace them all.

It's going to be a massive turnover again. For contracts (including loans) expiring, we have 9 expiring:

McLaughlin
Balogun
Barisic
Lundstram
Jack
Sima
Cortes
Silva
Roofe

Maybe Cortes and Lundstram will get extended. So, 7/8 out there.

You have to imagine that Koppen probably wants to get rid of the following players not getting any game time:

Davies
Dowell
Wright
Hagi
Cifuentes
Lammers
Lowry

Up to 14 now.

There are so many other players like Dessers and Raskin that we'd definitely cash in on if we got a bid. So I reckon the overhaul will be about 15 players, which will be as big or larger than last season.

All out of contract players gone. Plus Cortez and Sikva. Sina coming back might not happen. The ones on good contracts will remain because why would any team want the players we think are shit. They earn too much here so will see put their contracts if they don't get an offer of similar wages. It's that simple. People won't just be shifted ot moved on whilst under contract.

Too many required for our budget.

We ask this question every summer mate. It all depends on if we don't make an arse of them again.

I don't expect the present manager to be as foolhardy and reckless as Beale was in the transfer market.

But there is no denying, the wheels on the bus have become stuck in the mud recently and I'm taking the games against Benfica out of the equation.

Centre half, centre mid and centre forward. Keep JB and give us a solid spine. We’ve got enough quality in the squad to build around that solid foundation to win the league. I’d like more but we have to be realistic.

We cannot keep re-building every 2 years. Yes our squad is massive and very bloated for what we are currently getting out of it, but it must be done gradually. The gaffer will have 2-3 year plan to overhaul the team.

We cannot compete by 15 out and 10 in type of numbers to balance the squad. Its hard to gel a team of strangers together, its not football manager.

Right now, I'd say at least 6 nailed on starters are needed

2 CBS.
1 CM
1 LW
1 RW
1 ST

Arguments to be made for new fullbacks on both sides, also butland if he goes.

It's another major rebuild.

We need atleast one quality cb but can see Balogun and Davies leave, a left back (2 if Yilmaz leaves tbh hes quite injury prone anyway) we need wingers for both sides, a quality cm (possibly 2 or 3 depending on who stays or goes) a striker or two. Think its going to be quite a large turn over again. A lot of players are leaving out of contract, too many hangers on to that need to leave. And again we are needing them to hit the ground running.

Same as I thought last year. Between 6 and 8. Most important again is that they are 100 % fit, committed to being at Rangers and want win to medals, and have the right attitude. You need to be able to handle the pressure of being a Rangers player. Some of our current squad can’t.

All you mentioned need to be gone.

We've seen this sort of thread every season for god knows how long.

I wish we could go through one summer transfer window without having to speak about a rebuild :confused:

We've probably got to accept that the league is gone, therefore I'm not sure where all this money is coming from.

We will be loanee heavy again next season whilst the filth ponder on where to spend that ÂŁ50m.

We've probably got to accept that the league is gone, therefore I'm not sure where all this money is coming from.

We will be loanee heavy again next season whilst the filth ponder on where to spend that ÂŁ50m.
We’ve spent £15m every summer for the last 3/4 years. We will spend similar again. We will also be losing a shitload off the wage bill this summer with a lot of non-contributing high earners leaving.

We've seen this sort of thread every season for god knows how long.

I wish we could go through one summer transfer window without having to speak about a rebuild :confused:
Same here.

Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that it's because we keep retaining the "core" of our first team and squad, even although they've passed their best-by dates.

imo it will genuinely take a good manager to bite the bullet and gut the squad.
Doesn't matter who you are or what you've done, if you're being skinned by jobbers out there, or making the same stupid mistakes time after time, your time here is up.

Can we get rid of some of the overpaid players on our wage bill?
As we ourselves have proved, there's always a sucker out there ...

Replace the spine of the team. Two CH's, two CM's and a striker. Build from there. Hopefully we've got the CL dosh for it but if not? We're going to need to get creative.

Keep Cortez

Defo need a striker and Cb

Potentially a GK if we cash in along with a LB..seems to be the Brazilian LB we were linked with in Jan though.

We need to look at the Scottish market to keep the wages down and try get some fight in the team. Few foreign signings on slightly more money but we just can’t afford to be taking the risk and bringing in 10 huddies from England or abroad that are on 15-30k a week. Until they prove they can play against a team with a low block and the pressure of Rangers we shouldn’t be shelling out huge wages, enoughs enough!!

Surely not giving up when it's mathematically still in our hands? I don't see us winning at Parkhead given the deficiencies in our defence but we go out and play 6 cup finals and see where we end up.

Too many required again this summer ,the old guard has to go along with the out of contracts plus the the others that just aren't going to make to make it with us .

I know some want Tav gone but we have far more pressing issues to spend our limited funds on and he is one who still contributes and is never injured.

For me, we need a new spine as a minimum. 2 new cbs, a new number 6 and a new striker.

We also need better wingers although Sima and Cortes may solve that.

Bit of a nightmare all things considered.

Is it practical to do this in a single summer window? Especially one with a Euros on.

We were all expecting this sort of turnaround last summer and it never happened.

We're still paying the price for not being ruthless enough with the squad after #55 and all the bad decisions under the last couple of managers.

The annual rebuild. Same situation we seem to be in every summer. If we can somehow win the league or qualify for the champions league it should be made easier. It Depends how many are going too. We are going to have trouble shifting folk like Davies and goldson with the wages they are on. No one else is paying them anywhere near that.

I think you have to keep some sort of continuity in your team so by default some of those players will be kept.

What is the biggest turnover of players we have had in recent summers? I doubt it would be anywhere near 15 players out the door.

I've said for months that our squad will be unrecognisable next season.
Much trimmer and streamlined.
Apart from our goalkeeper, there's literally not one player in our squad who couldn't be upgraded on.

Of the players we have at our disposal I'd like if financially and reasonably possible to have something like as starters :

Butland
Tav New New Yilmaz
New Diomande
New New Sima/Cortes
Danilo

That's five new starters as a minimum, hoping we either can afford to buy Sima or probably more likely, extend Cortes' loan after his injury.

We might need to sell Butland, Tav or Yilmaz though to raise some cash and frankly, we need to suck it up and get on with it keeping in mind the players who have let us down to get to that point.

The biggest problem and the most depressing one for me is that as far as this conversation goes we really haven't moved forward since 2022 (you could argue 2021, but it was obvious change was needed in 2022).

We are stuck with people saying some variation of "like it or not, we'll be stuck with some of these players next season"/"can't turn over that much of the squad in one window"/"not enough money to replace all the dead wood." And although some probably underestimate the good business we could do without breaking the bank - the sad truth is they'll likely be proved right.

We're constantly paying for the bad business of previous windows. This time last year, I would have guessed that summer 2024 would be about the time we'd be looking seriously at replacements for Goldson and Tavernier, simply due to age if nothing else. The problem is that we can't focus 100% on those key areas because we are also making up for previous bad business by looking for a number nine, at least two midfielders and backups in plenty of other areas. That's before you get to the fact we may also be looking for a new first-choice keeper, though at least in that case it would be bringing a good chunk of cash in.

Two years and four transfer windows since Seville (six windows since 55), we're still on window number one of a "three or four" window rebuild. This is what has to change if we're ever to move forward.

What we need and what we'll get are two very different things. We need 15 realistically (likely out the door Wright, Davies, Balogun, Jack, Borna, Lundstram, Roofe, Sima, Lammers, Hagi, Cortes, Silva, McLaughlin = 12 off, should be out the door Goldson, Tav, Lawrence, Matondo, Dessers, Dowell, Raskin = 7 off. Thats 19 in total!).

Out of the players we barely have half a starting squad:

Butland
New RB, Souttar, New CB,Yilmaz
Sterling, Diamonde, New CM
New RW Cantwell New LW
New Striker

Bench: McRorie, King, McAusland, Danilo

Thats it!

As bad as we have been at times, if we even had one quality centre forward we would have this league tied up by now.

I think we need about 5 players but even just 2 players of quality would make an incredible difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back