If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
Based on his form this season also English and the contract we have him on I reckon we can get 20 million from a Premier league team.
The most expensive English keeper of the last ten years has been Nick Pope

Why is Butland worth two of him?

Sorry, but these valuations are nuts - genuinely nuts.

If any of you fancy making the business case for this mythical £21m if a club show interest in Butland, maybe some of you should volunteer services to the club?

If Butland does leave then it truly is now or never for McCrorie. If he can’t break into the first team then it’s probably time for him to move on for the sake of his own career.

Mitov does look excellent when you watch the St Johnstone highlights but I don’t see enough of him to know if his all round game and his mentality makes him suitable to be a Rangers No1.
I have my doubts about McCrorie. Different set up of course but felt his chance was 2 summers ago when it looked like McGregor was calling it. It looked like he was placed to really challenge for no.1 but somehow ended up 3rd choice again. He's since spent 2 years not really playing so can't have been much development in that time.

Maybe theres a really good keeper in there but the fact different managers and goalkeeping issues have still never seen him get a run suggests something to me

Three:

- Zach Hemming who has been good at St Mirren and Kilmarnock
- Vaclav Hladky at Ipswich if they get a new keeper now they're promoted, was also very good at St Mirren.
- Jeffrey De Lange who is at Go Ahead Eagles in Holland, he's very good and wouldn't cost a fortune I'd imagine.

If any of you fancy making the business case for this mythical £21m if a club show interest in Butland, maybe some of you should volunteer services to the club?
Pickford went for more than 10 million and Butland is a better goalie

It’s all about opinions and selling our best player this season for 10 million would be nuts,genuinely nuts…

Is Butland almost definitely away then? That would be a bleak start to the summer.

A bit dramatic no?

If we get offered silly/very good money he should be sold. Hanging onto players year after year and not selling when they are at their premium, is one of the big reasons we are in this mess just now.

Barisic will be the latest example of a guy we could've got a very healthy fee for two years ago, decided to keep him and has contributed very little since.

Big blow him not making the England squad. Would have no doubt added value

We also have to consider if he was to get injured or suffer a loss of form.

Could be an EPL has identified him for a summer transfer but we don't need to sell and JB is happy to stay. Means we hold all the cards in the negotiation. According to reports Forest bid 12m during the winter break. 21m is only an extra 2m approx over a 5 yr contract which is nothing for an EPL team especially if helps them avoid relegation or qualification for Europe.

Somebody just sent me text with tweet from "Ibrox chat" saying deal done for Liam Kelly to return to us. No idea who or how reliable this Ibrox chat is.

I don't understand who at the club would be pushing for us to re-sign Kelly now that we have Koppen in charge as director of football.

I understand that he'd be coming in as a free player but surely to fúck Koppen will be aware of 15-20 keepers from across Europe who'd be available on a bosman and better goalkeepers than Kelly.

I'm gonna just keep my fingers crossed this one is speculative nonsense from the DR.

We were linked with the Belgium lad that Roofe scored against from the half way line.

I thought he looked good against us.

We keep reading about Butland being sold but for me we need to keep him another season to help win back the title, he can leave then and also leave a champion.

How can we expect to close the gap if we sell
our best player after a season? Based on our track record for transfers I dread to think how potential funds will be re invested.
We'll be selling all our best players after we have had a season or 2 out of them from here on in.

celtic manage just fine doing it, they bring in more than they spend most summers, it's why they can outspend us.

I don't understand who at the club would be pushing for us to re-sign Kelly now that we have Koppen in charge as director of football.

I understand that he'd be coming in as a free player but surely to fúck Koppen will be aware of 15-20 keepers from across Europe who'd be available on a bosman and better goalkeepers than Kelly.

I'm gonna just keep my fingers crossed this one is speculative nonsense from the DR.
Realistically we need a Scottish 2nd choice keeper to towards 1 of the home grown slots. There would still be scope to bring in one of those 15-20 as no 1 mate

Neither of whom would qualify as homegrown.

You don't understand that player trading model do you.
Understand it perfectly well but we should not be selling at under a players value. The player trading model is to get maximum returns to reinvest. We will easily get 15 to 20 million from England. Problem is the Scottish media undervalue our players at every turn while over valuing any who play in green and grey so no thanks for £10 million

We'll be selling all our best players after we have had a season or 2 out of them from here on in.

celtic manage just fine doing it, they bring in more than they spend most summers, it's why they can outspend us.

They seem to have a better success rate in the market.

Something we need to do better.

Understand it perfectly well but we should not be selling at under a players value. The player trading model is to get maximum returns to reinvest. We will easily get 15 to 20 million from England. Problem is the Scottish media undervalue our players at every turn while over valuing any who play in green and grey so no thanks for £10 million
Scottish media undervalue, but we overvalue too. In fact every fan does it up here, regardless of team. It's the SPL... 20 million, not a chance. Unless you can lay out an argument that someone playing one season in Scotland, with only two full seasons as an EPL player with Stoke over his career, the rest either in the Championship or on the bench, will get up to 20 million? Players who hit that figure or close tend to be younger, with potential to improve and raise in value over time... or get a fluke move to Saudi Arabia. As others have said, he's played against jobbers for the majority. Craig Gordon before injury looked amazing again in Scotland and he was much older.

Clean sheets SPL

Butland 18
Z Clark 15
Hart 15

We'd make a healthy profit, but nobody should be surprised if it does end up something like 10 million. Teams paying 20 million are the type not to be bothered about recouping their money and all this Everton, Notts F, Chelsea and M City stuff could seriously effect how teams spend down there going forward imo

Pickford went for more than 10 million and Butland is a better goalie

It’s all about opinions and selling our best player this season for 10 million would be nuts,genuinely nuts…
Not in the eyes of his potential suitors which is all that really matters.

Pickford is England's #1. I can't see us getting anything north of £12m if Butland does move in the summer.

Even Motherwell fans were slating Kelly last season, he's shit and if that's the targets we have in mind that's a worry.
Don't get me wrong mate sorry I'm not saying Kelly is great or anything. He would do fine as a home trained 2nd choice though. Since Kelly left Rangers he's gone away and played over a 150 games, including the championship, got into the Scotland squad in a regular basis and captained Motherwell. He is miles ahead of McCrorie, who's only 2 years younger than Kelly, has reached a standstill with his career. Do you not think ?

Could be an EPL has identified him for a summer transfer but we don't need to sell and JB is happy to stay. Means we hold all the cards in the negotiation. According to reports Forest bid 12m during the winter break. 21m is only an extra 2m approx over a 5 yr contract which is nothing for an EPL team especially if helps them avoid relegation or qualification for Europe.

Forest expressed an interest, but I don't know where you're getting that figure from?

Secondly, give me an example of a team who would pay £20m for Butland this summer?

It'll be either a rich club top 6 side wanting him as a backup, or a bottom half club where he could start.

There isn't a club on either of those brackets that will pay £20m or anywhere near it for a player in that role.

He was available for free 10 months ago, £20m is nonsensical

Scottish media undervalue, but we overvalue too. In fact every fan does it up here, regardless of team. It's the SPL... 20 million, not a chance. Unless you can lay out an argument that someone playing one season in Scotland, with only two full seasons as an EPL player with Stoke over his career, the rest either in the Championship or on the bench, will get up to 20 million? Players who hit that figure or close tend to be younger, with potential to improve and raise in value over time... or get a fluke move to Saudi Arabia. As others have said, he's played against jobbers for the majority. Craig Gordon before injury looked amazing again in Scotland and he was much older.

Clean sheets SPL

Butland 18
Z Clark 15
Hart 15

We'd make a healthy profit, but nobody should be surprised if it does end up something like 10 million. Teams paying 20 million are the type not to be bothered about recouping their money and all this Everton, Notts F, Chelsea and M City stuff could seriously effect how teams spend down there going forward imo

Agreed - big guns can still spend but there are fewer of the type of deal in the bracket we look to sell star players in fee wise, especially in the EPL bottom half.

It's even starker in the Championship - only two teams with a higher wage bill than us which I found surprising!

He's not coming from being a number 1 elsewhere to be 2nd or 3rd choice, mccrorie is a better keeper than him.
McCrorie really isn’t. His only consistent spell as a first choice keeper was at Livi and he was replaced by another keeper who was also poorer than Kelly.

Kelly isn’t good enough either, just to be clear.

Luckily enough if we do sell Butland we won’t be going with mccrorie as no1 gk, would be a massive downgrade on Butland. We will most likely bring one that doesn’t cost a lot of money, good gk’s aren’t hard to find.

Were you not impressed with the games he played? He got MOTM in his old firm debut and deservedly so. He is more than capable of stepping up. If we let him go we will regret it.
I think he deserves his chance but i think so many folk are on his side because he is one of us

Back