If we can win the Scottish cup

After what's happened recently, I'd disagree.

Will do nothing for us, and they won't actually give a F. As soon as the whistle blows, they will be talking about the league and CL.

They thought the league was gone. And it should have been.
So when we have won the league you've never been disappointed about losing a cup final? Also, this thing that they were underdogs is being massively overblown. It was us that were 8 behind, not them.

Two cups in one season would be a form of incremental progress. It would be a statement that we are getting back to the habit of winning trophies regularly and getting over the issues we have had in cup competitions since coming up the leagues. That's especially true given our dismal start to the season. Setting back the scum in their bid to overhaul our record for most trophies won is a bonus too.

But it means nothing in terms of this squad or next season. This squad needs to be built for success in the league first and by far foremost, and they have proved inadequate to the task. Time for big changes.

Did they think the league was gone? We had became slight favourites but it was never a sure thing.
I would have thought so. The form we were showing and the position we were in, we should have pushed on and closed it out.

Irrelevant now, I guess. However, the league is all that matters regardless.

Cups are the icing and cherry on the cake.

So when we have won the league you've never been disappointed about losing a cup final? Also, this thing that they were underdogs is being massively overblown. It was us that were 8 behind, not them.
I'm just being honest the way I feel right now.

Losing cups is dissapointing. Course it is. But there are circumstances when it can become largely irrelevant.

And it will be irrelevant this year, if the league goes to them. My humble opinion.

It is the manner and timing of collapse which means there should be no way back for the majority.

Two trophies in the grand scheme will be successful from the point of view of October 2023 - I genuinely thought we would win nothing again.

Don’t count on this squad delivering it, though. Would mean having to beat them when it counts.
Agree mate
Beating Them is a huge problem for us sadly

Losing cups is dissapointing. Course it is. But there are circumstances when it can become largely irrelevant.

And it will be irrelevant this year, if the league goes to them. My humble opinion.
Losing the league is a disappointment after getting in the position we did and if they do go on and win it it will feel as if it’s one we have let slip through our fingers but the attitude should then switch to the Cup being a must win.

That’s the attitude we should expect from the players and it’s the attitude we should also have as fans.

No idea how it will end, but following Rangers this season, has been absolutely bonkers. There are always highs & lows following the team - but I genuinely can't remember a season, with so many polar opposites, where the pendulum has swung so wildly, from raging confidence, to outright despair. From being booed off the park at HT, to laps of honour at FT. From the hope and anticipation of Beale's arrival, to the sheer rage inside the stadium on match-days, for the calamity he brought forth. From (the greatest transfer window in our history) to watching Lammers, Dessers, Cifuentes et al humiliate the shirt. From trailing behind in the league, to winning the League Cup. From the arrival of Clement, and the rennaissance of our season, to the Motherwells, Ross Counties & Dundees.

Say what you like about being a Rangers fan - but it's not fcking dull - and there's still a few twists & turns to go yet.

Buckle in, Bears - things are cabout to get rocky ...

I've already said that that of course I would celebrate on the day but realistically in the cokd light of day the celebration would be short lived knowing that we blew the main prize.

I would not say 2 trophies is a huge success for Rangers. It's success of a certain extent , but not "huge". Maybe for a club like Aberdeen, but not us.
There’s a very good chance we won’t win the Cup..50/50 if we even manage to get past Hearts on Sunday.

That said, if we manage to get ourselves to the final and somehow win it, I’d consider the season a success TBH.

Yes, we’ve fuucked it in the league (not giving in just yet) but IF we do manage two trophies, It’ll be a good achievement from where we were before Clement came in.

A league cup and SC when Clement took over would have bitten your hand off but now after doing the hard work of clawing 7points for nothing would be hard one

So let me get this clear…. certain players are all the expletives under the sun because they haven’t delivered enough trophies, but seemingly fans ‘couldn’t care less’ about the Scottish Cup.

What?

Rangers really is just an excuse for one long misery wank for some, isn’t it? No idea why you do it. Go watch golf or some shit.

The title is the is the target when any season starts domestic cups are a distraction,Quite happy to win them but would always sacrifice them for the title,
Did St. Johnstone not win both cups one season don’t really care

Failure to win the League will sting badly given the position we got ourselves into and the fact it's a very average Celtic team.

Wider implications are another Summer rebuild and the inability to plan properly given the uncertainty over our European competition.

But, of course, I want the SC regardless.

There’s a very good chance we won’t win the Cup..50/50 if we even manage to get past Hearts on Sunday.

That said, if we manage to get ourselves to the final and somehow win it, I’d consider the season a success TBH.

Yes, we’ve fuucked it in the league (not giving in just yet) but IF we do manage two trophies, It’ll be a good achievement from where we were before Clement came in.
I generally agree with what you are saying mate.

But I was replying to the poster who said two trophies would be, and I quote, a "huge" success. Personally I wouldn't put it in that category at all. Certainly not a "huge" success for me.

Of course I’d love to see a cup win but throwing away a title because we lose to Ross co, Motherwell and the like is hard to take.

Gives us two trophies this season
But still doesn’t hide the failure if we don’t take this title after clawing our way back into it then collapsing yet again
It would be great but let's face it we as fans are in denial if we think any team with Goldson,Taverner,Goldson etc that are defending our team can really win anything regularly are dreaming

if we win the scottish cup i will be very happy considering where we were in september last year, although will still be disappointing considering the manner in which we have more than probably lost the league now.

and clement knows now what he has to do in the summer, and i really hope the board back him,

i dont see clement doing a michael beale and inheriting a mediocre team and making it worse

If we can win the Scottish cup, it’ll be great, yes but it’ll paper over the cracks in a way.

An overhaul is required imo

Win the cup and we can say we have won 4 trophies over 4 seasons. That is an improvement sign, since 2012.

They have had their ucl cash the last 2 seasons, and some big money sales and this season they are only 3 points ahead with 5 to go. We aren't far off.

Celtic haven't put 5 league wins together in a row in the league all season so the players might as well keep trying.

I trust Phil to move on us on from the Tav and Goldson 2nd place era.

I know it's doom and gloom at the moment, and I myself am guilty of some pretty morbid posts in the heat of the moment after a bad result, but if you think about it , it's not the end of the world

This is the real cold hard reality.

£50m into that mob’s pocket rather than ours. That’s absolutely huge money.
The 50m doesn’t guarantee anything.We still have a reasonable chance off getting through the qualifiers are grabbing the 50m also assuming Clement is the manger we think he is and gets his summer signings right.

We need to develop a consistent and persistent winning mentality and culture at the club. If that starts by lifting two domestic cups, beating the Tim’s in the final, then whilst it’s still a major disappointment we don’t win the league it’s better we have trophies in the cabinet than not. You build a winning culture by winning things.

Gerrard gets called out for 1 trophy in 9. Should we change that to 1 in 3 if only the league counts? Is our trophy hall just counted in league titles or all cups?

I’m as pissed off as anyone about the league but I’d still like a Scottish cup win and won’t belittle it on the back of disappointment

After what's happened recently, I'd disagree.

Will do nothing for us, and they won't actually give a F. As soon as the whistle blows, they will be talking about the league and CL.

They thought the league was gone. And it should have been.
If they win the Scottish Cup and the League they'll be matching our trophy haul too. Can't believe people are saying they don't care about winning this after the years we've had. %^*& me. Are people just trying to outdo each other to show how raging they are at our collapse in the League?

The league is everything. Win that and the cups would have been insignificant. Although given our ever decreasing trophy count over them I’ll take anything given the last 2 weeks

Obviously I want us to win the cup, but it just feels like a massive anti climax. The league is what we desperately need and the thought of Fhilth FC pocketing all that money from the champions league makes me sick, we had one hand on the trophy and completely shat the bed. Unforgivable even if we do manage to end the season with 2 cups.

Oh how far our supports standards have fallen.

Any season that ends without a league title is a disappointment.

If we end a season with a double and one of the trophies isn't the league title then the double is irrelevant.

As frustrating and painful as our league collapse has been these past weeks, a cup double, challenging for the title, and EL knockout stages would have been considered a successful scenario by most on here after Beale‘s sacking (I think a poll at the time indicated as much).

We understandably got our expectations up by closing the gap, but I don’t think many seriously expected us to win the league when the shit hit the fan in October 23.

Beating the tims in a SC final and getting a double would make for a good occasion and could put down a marker for next season.

Where is their pride, never mind courage?

They have a fork on the road starting on Sunday. One leads to everlasting infamy and damnation, memories tarnished by cowardice and capitulation.

The other, the harder road, is littered with obstacles, treacherous underfoot, steep inclines, but the view from the summit is life affirming, defining and glorious to behold.

What path will they choose, it's up to them?

Gives us two trophies this season
But still doesn’t hide the failure if we don’t take this title after clawing our way back into it then collapsing yet again
We want to be back in the trophies and the Scottish Cup is the one of the trophies up for grabs each season.

A cup double would be an unbelievable outcome given the mood in October, but if it does come through then it shouldn’t get any of the players a get out of jail card.

Still in with a shout of a treble. Hope there is a no surrender attitude in the dressing room. I have my doubts but whilst it is on we keep going.

If they win the Scottish Cup and the League they'll be matching our trophy haul too. Can't believe people are saying they don't care about winning this after the years we've had. %^*& me. Are people just trying to outdo each other to show how raging they are at our collapse in the League?
Cant speak for others but certainly not trying to outdo anything or anyone.

Just stating that any success in the cup for us will ultimately be lost in the events of the the last month or so.

If we don't win this league, given where we were, it will be the gut-punch of all gut-punches for me. And I make no apologies for feeling that way nor for stating it.

Back