In the 70s this is what worried us about an Old Firm game

That was port glasgow mate, even the old dears were hanging the Irish flag out the windows. Life was so much simpler then and to be honest, never worried me a bit.

Was as they call it now, part of the match day experience. I actually enjoyed it.
Good old days , 3 scarfs and a painted workman's safety hat

My dad told me than when leaving Parkhead in the 60's and 70's, the tims would pelt our buses with bricks and bottles from a railway bridge
They would wait on the bridge and throw 1/2 bricks at us walking down London Rd. There was no cover at all. FB's

Arrest numbers under 100 were a bonus back then.

Regularly getting the bus windows put in and always getting ambushed passing Blackhill before the new M/W was built.
Stopping at Stepps for a jar and boxing our way back to the bus.
In fact, boxing most places we went to.

The 70s were fkking marvellous :)
Chips for the kids at Stepps while the men went for a swift pint or 3.

And still no-one will be able to convince me that the supporter experience is better nowadays.

Used to be above cartsdyke station too, throwing bricks and whatever down onto fans a platform.

Worst I remember was Kilmarnock for getting buses tanned
Like going to an old firm final and knowing somewhere along the trip our bus windows were gonna get put in ..... Happy Days
Does anyone remember back then going to Morton games must have been before they built the new road there was a place just before it when they used to pelt buses as well

Like going to an old firm final and knowing somewhere along the trip our bus windows were gonna get put in ..... Happy Days
Does anyone remember back then going to Morton games must have been before they built the new road there was a place just before it when they used to pelt buses as well
Apart from their pigsty Greenock and Paisley were two of the worst journeys back to Neilston. We regularly got bricked there and back.

The adrenaline rush was exhilarating.It was trench warfare back then. It’s simply not the same today.

Now, it's a single chant.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

And I’m sure if you told plod in 40 yrs , they’ll be no bottles allowed inside , no open drinking , everybody will be seated , but they’ll still sing . I think they would bite your hand off for it

So true, I loved going to the games back then. Nobody, and I mean nobody, fecked with the Rangers support in those days.
Been saying this for donkeys years. I was at the 2016 Scots Cup Final when the Hiv's invaded the pitch. Couldn't believe what I was watching. Credit to those Bears who did stick up for our players and fans being attacked and who gave as good as they got.............BUT had that been 40 years prior in the 1970's and Hiv's took liberties like they did (they simply wouldn't have DARED to back then though) there would have been mayhem and they wouldn't have even reached their penalty area, before being slaughtered.

Walking back to Govan to the bus terminus after the Ankaragucu game , ambushed at wine alley. Bricks bottles you name it ,13 years of age .

Aye daft songs hurt right enough.
We got attacked taking the same route. Mob of them appeared with Iron bars out of nowhere, always remember the shout of catholic winey ya orange bastards.

Being called a naughty word was the least of my worries.

Fanny
Fanny
Fanny McGrain
Fanny
Fanny McGrain

the old east enclosure all pointing at Mcgrain and chanting this.
I would laugh my head off.

Been saying this for donkeys years. I was at the 2016 Scots Cup Final when the Hiv's invaded the pitch. Couldn't believe what I was watching. Credit to those Bears who did stick up for our players and fans being attacked and who gave as good as they got.............BUT had that been 40 years prior in the 1970's and Hiv's took liberties like they did (they simply wouldn't have DARED to back then though) there would have been mayhem and they wouldn't have even reached their penalty area, before being slaughtered.
I think I might well have been one of the slaughterers back then... changed days indeed.

I'm sure that's the game Speirs claims he was in the Bheast end wearing his Rangers colours and being encouraged to celebrate by the fun loving craicsters

I was more 50s and 60s and found it an advantage when confronted by several scum I was hell of a good runner. What was good was the way older Bears looked after us younger fans. Would give a lot to get back to the 60s when life was great if a bit more dangerous in the grounds.

Bit jealous listening to some of your posts, before my time. Didn't get to my first game till early 90s, and wasn't allowed to wear colours passing through the toon going to the match.

Manchester 08 gave me a wee sneaky peek of how fun such savagery can be :))

Glasgow was a war zone in the 70's when OF games were on......
As a teenager in the 70s I used to travel to and from Old Firm games alone by public transport as the guys I went with came from a different area of the city.
Always felt a sense of relief when I made it home in one piece.

Now, it's a single chant.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Made this very point after the Boro Roma game about 15 years ago. Fans getting stabbed, no condemnation from UEFA. Our fans sing a song and it's statements, threats of ground closures and fines.

I lived up Carmunnock road from the “ valley” in Castlemilk. After Hampden games, corpy busses were routinely stoned at the roundabout there. Most of the drivers were savvy to it and didn’t stop but the odd one would and busses would get trashed. It’s just the way it was in the 70’s / early 80’s.

My dad told me than when leaving Parkhead in the 60's and 70's, the tims would pelt our buses with bricks and bottles from a railway bridge
Very true.
Actually, that bridge over London Road isn’t that long away.
The assaults from there happened every game but, incredibly enough, I’m fairly certain the police didn’t mark it after the game.

I remember hearing a story about said bridge. Tims throwing the bricks were thrown off the bridge, after the Billy Boys scaled the embankments

My old man has told me about Bears getting on the bridge down Springfield Rd a bit, then charging up it towards London Rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
And at Steads in Mount Vernon & Shettleston Road. Rangers end only. Mr. Stead was staunch
I remember cycling down to Steads in Mount Vernon for tickets for my dad & me for the Juventus game in 78.
Got 2 seats in the Centenary Stand & what a very special night for Rangers it turned out to be.

It was a very hot summers day. The atmosphere before, during and after that game was even more toxic than ever. Rangers unfurled the league flag which had stopped ten in a row, Alex McDonald was sent off and Rangers fought back from a goal down to win 2-1.

Mayhem during the game and it was worse afterwards. Goodness knows how I got through Govan Cross that day. Mind you I was fleet of foot back in the day.Their fans were bailing off their supporters buses and attacking Rangers fans. Some never got back on their buses. Blood and guts literally.
I wasnt sure if I read that right, so this was the first match of the new season and we were unfurling the flag as last seasons champions...... Brilliant way to rub their noses in it.

I wasnt sure if I read that right, so this was the first match of the new season and we were unfurling the flag as last seasons champions...... Brilliant way to rub their noses in it.
. . . and on the way to an end of season Treble!

Back