Interesting article re Schalke

Great club and great stadium that was way ahead of its time with the retractable roof and pitch which, in the latter's case, enables it to be a truly multi-use venue. It has a passionate and loyal fan base and it's tragic that a club with so much history and potential is languishing in Bundesliga 2.

The same goes for HSV and you would have thought that those two would have been the front runners in the race for promotion to the top division.

I would love Rangers to play Schalke away in a pre-season friendly or even as a fund raising match for this historic club. It's an easier place to get to than Hoffenheim and we'd take a big support with us.

They won’t go down - sides below are too poor and 37 will be enough, going there a week on Saturday in the away end with Rostock. Rot Weiss Essen are also playing Friday and that’s sold out, they are pushing for a play off place in 3 Liga, it would be a huge thing if they were in Bundesliga 2 with Schalke next season. Can’t say I have much sympathy for them to be honest.

I just read that earlier. Let that be a warning to anyone who thinks we should try to live beyond our means or as some say, speculate to accumulate, which basically means gambling with the clubs finances.

We can't go down that road again or there will be no way back. I liked the comments from the schalke fans and was interested in the comments about the hiring and firing culture of coaches. We are on that path at the moment, it won't work.

Bought bad and sold low,definitely one of the biggest clubs in Germany but looks like the transfer side of things have been a nightmare for them,been there it's a fantastic stadium with an unbelievable support,hope they pick up again.

Went there a few years ago to see Chelsea play them in the champions league when we were down the leagues and out of Europe. Chelsea won 5-0 but the atmosphere was excellent right to the end. My mate who is a big Chelsea fan actually wanted Shalke to score so he could hear the noise. Cracking stadium

I met a group of about 10 Schalke fans in Prague when we played Vitoria Zizkow
They came into the pub we were in b and initially i thought this could be bother - one of the guys spots my pals top and shouts “F*ck Celtic “ they asked if they could join us as had travelled specifically to support us and very knowledgeable re our club and wider cultural issues
Great guys and always kept an eye out for their results

A massive club with 160k members (more than Real Madrid the article says)

Seems their player trading model was akin to ours and they lost huge talent for nothing. However, they also spent big on players who didn't make it. Losing Gazprom as a sponsor after the invasion of Ukraine must have hurt them also.

What sort of tv deal does the Bundesliga have (just read €1.1b per season v £6.7m v England £1.7b) - Germany has a larger population than England but German football seems to have gone off the boil while English football has grown - I assume that's down to the 50+1 rule where there isn't the same foreign investors involved.

Always had a soft spot for Schalke given the blue shirt probably.

A massive club with 160k members (more than Real Madrid the article says)

Seems their player trading model was akin to ours and they lost huge talent for nothing. However, they also spent big on players who didn't make it. Losing Gazprom as a sponsor after the invasion of Ukraine must have hurt them also.

What sort of tv deal does the Bundesliga have (just read €1.1b per season v £6.7m v England £1.7b) - Germany has a larger population than England but German football seems to have gone off the boil while English football has grown - I assume that's down to the 50+1 rule where there isn't the same foreign investors involved.

Always had a soft spot for Schalke given the blue shirt probably.

It is quite a cheap membership Schalke to be fair, some are much dearer:

ANNUAL FEES (FOOTBALL PASSIVE)

0-6 years of age: 3 euros
7-17: 12 euros
18-29: 25 euros
30-60: 50 euros
61 and over: 35 euros

They are very well supported though. Can hold some Clubs back the 50 plus 1 but overall it is better for the German game for match going fans.

Hope they can get their finances sorted out and get back on track, I hate to see any team (particularly one with a long history from a former mining community) potentially 'going down'.

I love German football, I think they're entitled to own "Football's coming home", given the 50+1 set-up and the real influence the fans exercise, so I hope Schalke survive to be playing Hamburg next season (yes, I've given up on promotion).

I have to say though, the following sentiment expressed in the article applies just as much to us, and I'd expect also to most fans around the world:

There is a saying, ‘Schalke will never disappear’. Even if the whole club has to be set up again, the fans will do it. The entity called Schalke is way beyond any person; it lives in the hearts of so many.”

I love German football, I think they're entitled to own "Football's coming home", given the 50+1 set-up and the real influence the fans exercise, so I hope Schalke survive to be playing Hamburg next season (yes, I've given up on promotion).

I have to say though, the following sentiment expressed in the article applies just as much to us, and I'd expect also to most fans around the world:

There is a saying, ‘Schalke will never disappear’. Even if the whole club has to be set up again, the fans will do it. The entity called Schalke is way beyond any person; it lives in the hearts of so many.”
Yes, was reading that myself and it's fair to say we know the feeling all to well.

I and many others know that feeling and it's frightening the amount of big, traditional clubs that are getting into bad situations these days. For me, I see Rangers as a large community club, my friends through the years have all been Rangers fans. Some of them are gone now and I live with the many great memories of them, plenty involving Rangers. Clubs should not be the plaything of rich people. Many of the friends I've made from Ulster is basically through Rangers. Long may it continue. Through the good times and the bad.

Hamburg and Schalke need to get sorted and back to the top league where they belong. Any word on how Kaiserslautern are doing these days?

Yes, was reading that myself and it's fair to say we know the feeling all to well.

I and many others know that feeling and it's frightening the amount of big, traditional clubs that are getting into bad situations these days. For me, I see Rangers as a large community club, my friends through the years have all been Rangers fans. Some of them are gone now and I live with the many great memories of them, plenty involving Rangers. Clubs should not be the plaything of rich people. Many of the friends I've made from Ulster is basically through Rangers. Long may it continue. Through the good times and the bad.

Hamburg and Schalke need to get sorted and back to the top league where they belong. Any word on how Kaiserslautern are doing these days?

They got out the stuck at the weekend winning at Kiel, I think they'll stay up. Wiesbaden second bottom and Hansa third bottom is my fancy. There are many more traditional Clubs with brilliant support as well as those you mention out of the Bundesliga - Hansa, Dynamo Dresden, 1860.

They got out the stuck at the weekend winning at Kiel, I think they'll stay up. Wiesbaden second bottom and Hansa third bottom is my fancy. There are many more traditional Clubs with brilliant support as well as those you mention out of the Bundesliga - Hansa, Dynamo Dresden, 1860.
Thanks mate.

Been over on many an occasion
Great stadium,fantastic club and cracking museum.

Was at Ebbe Sands testimonial back in 2006 it was a cracking day out.
Hope to get over next season again..

Back