Interesting Dessers Interview

He will either be vilified or immortalised by many in the support in 5 games time rightly or wrongly.

If he had taken a fraction of the chances he's had this year he'd be on about 40 goals but even so, 20 goals so far is not to be sniffed at, especially with no penalties.

Edit: He did score 1 pen against Morton. I stand corrected, but still...

Last edited:
20 goals is decent. However I'm just frustrated with Dessers as a lot of the games seem to pass him by. Sometimes it feels like he isn't even on the pitch.
He should've had 35 goals with the amount of chances he's had this season... it seems he needs around 5 or 6 chances to get a goal which isn't always possible against decent or stubborn opposition.

For all his faults he's been a decent contributor this year.

He's getting the Kent treatment though, the forwards around him aren't really chipping in (or staying fit long enough) and people are focusing on his misses more as he's our main threat.

Kent was the same, if he had some goal scorers around him (like 55) his lack of goals wouldn't of been an issue, but our conversion rate from our forward players has been an issue for years now.

Crazy to think if he was on pens he would be looking at 40 goals this year! Celtic would be selling him for £30m in the summer...

20 goals is decent. However I'm just frustrated with Dessers as a lot of the games seem to pass him by. Sometimes it feels like he isn't even on the pitch.
He should've had 35 goals with the amount of chances he's had this season... it seems he needs around 5 or 6 chances to get a goal which isn't always possible against decent or stubborn opposition.
He's almost like a modern striker, these Firmino types but not good enough outside the box to justify some of the misses.

I think we talk a lot about centre back pairing in football but when you play in a front three, that pairing is important too and if we played a whole season with say Cortes and Sima either side, I think he would have got a load more goals.

What when? Took one for Nigeria I know, don't remember one for us. Can't even remember a time Tav wasn't on the pitch.
I didn't think he had scored one either, but apparently he has against Morton.
I must have forgot about it.

A likeable guy who’s goal scoring record is nothing to belittle but I think we should be looking for someone better next season.

I remember super Ally being hounded in his first year with us, a lot of it to do with missed chances. Point being he was always there to miss them, same as Dessers

He's one of a select few who have been available for selection, pretty much week, in week out. Puts in a power of work and seems like a genuinely good bloke. His scoring record for the season is good by any measure. Whatever happens, he's done his bit.

But....the idea of him leading the line next season is not one i wish to dwell on.

Amazes me how much of this support would happily discard 20 goals a season just because he's not so easy on the eye sometimes and does miss chances. All strikers miss chances! Would be a bigger worry if he wasn't in position for those chances.

Rather than get rid, how about get someone else in to give him competition up top, or better still, work well with him to give us that option of 2 up top.

I remember super Ally being hounded in his first year with us, a lot of it to do with missed chances. Point being he was always there to miss them, same as Dessers
Please don't make these comparisons. The guy just isn't clinical enough, doesn't hold the ball up to bring others into play, doesn't bully defenders, in fact many games it is an easy day at the office for opposition defenders....some games you don't get many chances and when they come you have to take them. Dessers doesn't have that in his locker.

We should move him on and bring in Shankland and Miovski in the summer (if the price is right.) Them two with Danilo Should bring in the goals required for a league title.

He will either be vilified or immortalised by many in the support in 5 games time rightly or wrongly.

If he had taken a fraction of the chances he's had this year he'd be on about 40 goals but even so, 20 goals so far is not to be sniffed at, especially with no penalties.

It's one of those though - if he took alot more of his chances and was on 40 odd goals, he'd be playing in the EPL.

He scores the more difficult chances, the ones where he takes the ball round people and makes space for the shot… if he could add the ability to smash the ball first time to doing the more intricate work he would be some striker.
Probably not at Rangers though.

Being a bit more selfish wouldn’t hurt either but he is a genuine team player and I like him for that.

I've also brought this up on a few other threads mate. The goal he scored v Betis came at a time when he was under severe pressure from everyone yet he had the composure, and belief to dance around their defence and help us top the group.......

He scores the more difficult chances, the ones where he takes the ball round people and makes space for the shot… if he could add the ability to smash the ball first time to doing the more intricate work he would be some striker.

Being a bit more selfish wouldn’t hurt either but he is a genuine team player and I like him for that.
I like him as well mate but he does frustrate the life out of me.
Like you say, there's times you just want him to bury the chance and he messes about with it.
If he removes that from his game, he would be lethal and likely wouldn't be in Scotland.

Suppose we have to be realistic...we're not going to be signing the next Romario spending the money we are spending. We have to accept the ability of our players will be limited for the foreseeable future, sadly.

Yes. Creates space for others, tires the opposition where we take advantage later in the game.

He also still scored twice last week and in general caused chaos in Hearts back line.
But we haven't. Granted that's not all on him but I'd rather have a clinical striker who does his best work in the penalty area. Dessers never looks properly in control of the ball and doesn't anticipate things very well.

If he converted more of the chances he's had early in games we would be a lot better off.

McCoist was a 20 year old kid when he signed.

Dessers is a 28 year old £4.5m striker the manager spent months chasing and we were told was the real deal.

He's not a bad player. He works his balls off, he's always available and to his credit he's never hid once even when the crowd turned on him.

But the fact is we've overpaid massively for him and if we sold him this summer we're taking a monumental financial hit on him.

Hand on heart, is he good enough to lead the line for Rangers ? For £4.5m that should be the bare minimum we expect. And the answer is no.

Seems a very pleasant fellow. But this is a big business and means a lot more to the fans than he will ever understand - whether its rational of not.
I'm going to put all of my concerns away for the moment.
Lets come back in a months time , when we have been to Parkhead, Tynecaste and Hampden and see if the nice guy is a great guy.

We’re in a similar position considering both him and Tav.
Neither Dessers or Tav play their position particularly well but both score goals regularly.
Do we look elsewhere and scrafice team cohesion for goals scored or stay as is?

I think Tav will be sold and the money will go towards a starting striker and Dessers will stay maybe as second or third in the pecking order.

To come back from being ironically cheered off by his own fans and to score 20 goals so far shows the mentality he has, yes he misses chances, so did Morelos, Novo, Miller etc
As he said himself look at what else he brings to the team.
Overall it could end up a fantastic first season for Dessers if things go our way in the next 5 games.

He can be a big diddy at times but fair play to him, he’s scored 20 goals in a season which isn’t the worst, he’s scored winners, he’s scored worldies as well.

He’s not our idea of what a striker should be, quick, nimble, agile and ready to burst the net at every opportunity, but he would be a good foil for a main striker if I’m honest. He’s good at battling with defenders and holding the ball up, he gets into areas where he can be dangerous but his off the ball runs and his concentration levels in these areas are what let him down, that and his basic finishing skills at times too. He’s missed a few sitters when it’s easier to score and sometimes holds on to the ball for too long or takes the extra touch.

All that being said, he would be a fucking hero forever if he bags the winner at the piggery to take us a step closer to the title.

That’s all we are asking of him, get that winner and you’ll be a hero forever big man.

Back