Interesting Dessers Interview

But we haven't. Granted that's not all on him but I'd rather have a clinical striker who does his best work in the penalty area. Dessers never looks properly in control of the ball and doesn't anticipate things very well.

If he converted more of the chances he's had early in games we would be a lot better off.

I'd rather have a number of players we can rely on for goals rather than just expecting it all to come from one player.

It's been our biggest problem for years.

55 season we had Morelos, Roofe, Defoe, Kent, Hagi, Arfield, Tav all contributing with goals

No coincidence it's the only title we have won since we got back to the top league.

This season we have had Tav, Dessers and Sima when fit, barely a goal threat from elsewhere. Seems silly to me to point the finger at the people who are scoring and ignore the other clear deficiencies in the team.

Of course he shouldn't effectively be our sole striker.He was never meant to be however that's more or less whats happened.
The guys shown a lot of grit and determination to come through and score 20 goals so far in a squad with alot of problems.
There is a huge responsibility on his shoulders and Dessers could have easily opted out limped off and headed for the treatment couch.He hasn't in fact Id say he's getting stronger physically and mentally.
Unlike.some.others.
I'm all for having a 20 goal plus.striker with a strong mentality in our squad.

But the fact is we've overpaid massively for him and if we sold him this summer we're taking a monumental financial hit on him.

'Monumental'? Tad OTT don't you think?

A player who has scored in every competition this year for us, has done it in other leagues as well, will eventually have have over 20 goals this season, if sold, would get us easily £3million plus.

But yeah, a 'monumental' financial loss.

Hand on heart, is he good enough to lead the line for Rangers ? For £4.5m that should be the bare minimum we expect. And the answer is no.
If he was in a team which also had plenty of goals coming from wide players and midfield then the answer may be different. If we're relying on him as the main goal threat with nothing from elsewhere then it's a clear 'no'.

Nobody can question his desire or how good a fella he appears. But his poor finishing has cost us and I'd hope we can get a better finisher in. Wouldn't be against still holding on to Cyriel as 3rd choice.

'Monumental'? Tad OTT don't you think?

A player who has scored in every competition this year for us, has done it in other leagues as well, will eventually have have over 20 goals this season, if sold, would get us easily £3million plus.

But yeah, a 'monumental' financial loss.

You think we're getting £3m+ for a guy who turns 30 this year ?

Our recent track record of sales doesn't suggest so.

I always said that a big issue our team would face would be learning how to play without Morelos, who could do all the things we needed our lone striker to do. Now we have a striker(s) that need more support from the rest of the team and we struggle.

Whilst I do think Dessers has severe limitations and isn’t the player I expected for the money we spent, if we are going to continue with a gameplan that requires a single focal point up front we need to be realistic about how much a player to do that role will cost.

The striker that leads the line for Rangers in 2024 most likely needs to cost the guts of £10m

20 goals is decent. However I'm just frustrated with Dessers as a lot of the games seem to pass him by. Sometimes it feels like he isn't even on the pitch.
He should've had 35 goals with the amount of chances he's had this season... it seems he needs around 5 or 6 chances to get a goal which isn't always possible against decent or stubborn opposition.

You say that, but when have we had a 35+ goal a season striker?

The issue has always been the cash that we paid for him had we bought him for £2.5m I doubt many would have had an issue with him. He's frustrating as anything as a player but 20 goals in just over 32 full games in minutes in all competitions is a good return.

If there's a chance to make some money back on him in the summer I would do it but if not around the squad and sharing the load with another striker next season I wouldn't have an issue with to be honest.

20 goals a season playing CF for us is should be the minimum requirement to be honest. He does need to offer more than popping up with a goal, his inability to hold the ball up or bully centre halves in the air means it often breaks down when it gets to him.

I always said that a big issue our team would face would be learning how to play without Morelos, who could do all the things we needed our lone striker to do. Now we have a striker(s) that need more support from the rest of the team and we struggle.

Whilst I do think Dessers has severe limitations and isn’t the player I expected for the money we spent, if we are going to continue with a gameplan that requires a single focal point up front we need to be realistic about how much a player to do that role will cost.

The striker that leads the line for Rangers in 2024 most likely needs to cost the guts of
Didn't Morelos not score less than 20 goals per season in 4 out of his 6 seasons ?

Very positive person, it's shame many on here don't have that mind set.

If he was out penalty taker he would have been on 30+ goals already this season.

You keep hearing he should have scored 5 goals in this game , 5 goals in that game, any player scoring 5 in the one game is extremely rare.

As far as I can see , only Negri in 1998, and Boyd in 2009 have achieved this for Rangers (both against Dundee Utd)

I'd rather have a number of players we can rely on for goals rather than just expecting it all to come from one player.

It's been our biggest problem for years.

55 season we had Morelos, Roofe, Defoe, Kent, Hagi, Arfield, Tav all contributing with goals

No coincidence it's the only title we have won since we got back to the top league.

This season we have had Tav, Dessers and Sima when fit, barely a goal threat from elsewhere. Seems silly to me to point the finger at the people who are scoring and ignore the other clear deficiencies in the team.
Couldn't agree with this more. His 20 goals win us the league if, for example, we had a player on the right hand side capable of chipping in with 10-15 goals, or if Sima doesn't get that injury.

I would go as far as to say that buying proper quality in the right and left hand sides of attack is more important than replacing Dessers in the summer. The more players capable of hitting double figures, the better.

Very positive person, it's shame many on here don't have that mind set.

If he was out penalty taker he would have been on 30+ goals already this season.

You keep hearing he should have scored 5 goals in this game , 5 goals in that game, any player scoring 5 in the one game is extremely rare.

As far as I can see , only Negri in 1998, and Boyd in 2009 have achieved this for Rangers (both against Dundee Utd)
Miller as well against St Mirren, but your point is totally correct.

He's one of a select few who have been available for selection, pretty much week, in week out. Puts in a power of work and seems like a genuinely good bloke. His scoring record for the season is good by any measure. Whatever happens, he's done his bit.

But....the idea of him leading the line next season is not one i wish to dwell on.
Exactly this for me too. Availability, workrate, commitment, more than acceptable number of goals. If he's the back up striker next season we are in a good place. He will continue to score goals. Danilo will also return and rotate between striker and cover off the left imo and a starting striker brought in. Part of me thinks Clement also sees Sima as the 9 going forward. He was asked that a while ago, agreed it was a strong possibility he would be our 9 this season but due to injuries and lack of quality out wide and as a result an inability to train with him as a 9 in how he'd want him working meant it was unlikely to happen this season.

I like Dessers and I don't think he is as bad as made out by some but I still don't trust him if he was bearing down on Joe Hart 1 v1 in the 94th minute at 0-0 at the piggery to stick it away.

McCoist was a 20 year old kid when he signed.

Dessers is a 28 year old £4.5m striker the manager spent months chasing and we were told was the real deal.

He's not a bad player. He works his balls off, he's always available and to his credit he's never hid once even when the crowd turned on him.

But the fact is we've overpaid massively for him and if we sold him this summer we're taking a monumental financial hit on him.

Hand on heart, is he good enough to lead the line for Rangers ? For £4.5m that should be the bare minimum we expect. And the answer is no.
You ain't getting a quality striker for 4.5 million these days. That kind of money market will not be bringing in any guarantees, no matter who we sign.

Anybody who has real class about them will be snapped up by the big leagues. Even the Dutch struggle now and you could say that they were very much contributers to modern day football.

Couldn't agree with this more. His 20 goals win us the league if, for example, we had a player on the right hand side capable of chipping in with 10-15 goals, or if Sima doesn't get that injury.

I would go as far as to say that buying proper quality in the right and left hand sides of attack is more important than replacing Dessers in the summer. The more players capable of hitting double figures, the better.

We need someone in midfield capable of hitting 10-15 goals as well there's just not enough goals in the side.

The striker that leads the line for Rangers in 2024 most likely needs to cost the guts of £10m
Exactly this and even that kind of money won't make it a sure thing.

McCoist was a 20 year old kid when he signed.

Dessers is a 28 year old £4.5m striker the manager spent months chasing and we were told was the real deal.

He's not a bad player. He works his balls off, he's always available and to his credit he's never hid once even when the crowd turned on him.

Have we? £4.5m doesn't get you much these days for players in contract.

I get the feeling some people are still living in the 1990s when £4.5m was a lot of money.

Yes he has. But has he contributed more in games? No he hasn't.
Even Kris Boyd would've had a field day this season with the amount of chances Dessers has had laid on a plate for him this season.
Yes he has. He has shown that he can hit the back of the net more times than Morelos.
Other players have to take responsibility for scoring goals too this season.
Morelos gradually contributed less and less and was a liability.
To go back to the post that I replied to and how we would have to find a way to cope with out Morelos.when he left.
We had to find a way to cope with Morelos when he stayed imo.

Love the guy.
I just wish he was a better footballer.
His close control at times is fantastic, same with hold up and laying ball off to support when midfield have not gone AWOL, he runs and tries to press all the time so he IS a good footballer even if others just tend to look at some misses they tend to remember them and leave that like a stigma on their mind and under rate other attributes!

For seasons we cried for a striker who scores goals and here he is under our noses tazz!

Sounds to me though I could be wrong like you love the guy because of you trust what you see (though not perfect but nobody is) he is delivering! He is a better player than others are making you doubt what you think?

Trust what you see my friend.

Dessers is one of the few players we’ll actually get a decent offer for this Summer.

I assume he’s on a good wage. I wouldn’t be surprised if we sell because he’s too expensive to be a rotating option.

If we lose the league, it wouldn’t be because of Dessers.

The big man is obviously aware of some of the hate that comes his way and he splits opinion, but 20 goals without penalties for your first season in a new league can't be completely disregarded, especially when he is more than a goalscorer. It's just a shame that no other striker has been able to carry the burden with him.
My wife would disagree with him as she definitely does find him beautiful on the eye. Handsome big diddy/superstar (depending on the game) that he is.

If he's aware of even a fraction of the strong criticism / borderline hate coming from our fans and still has the attitude to go out there and perform, that says a lot about his character and mentality. He might not ever be the 40 goal striker we wish he was and that he could be if he buried chances, but he's more than good enough for our league and our squad.

He's been available all season, contributed 20 goals, never hid and led the line well.

Shaky start with a few missed chances, and I wasn't convinced by him to begin with either, but he's turned out to be one of our top performers this season.

He's been available all season, contributed 20 goals, never hid and led the line well.

Shaky start with a few missed chances, and I wasn't convinced by him to begin with either, but he's turned out to be one of our top performers this season.
I'd say that he definitely wasn't match fit at the start of the season.

We’re in a similar position considering both him and Tav.
Neither Dessers or Tav play their position particularly well but both score goals regularly.
Do we look elsewhere and scrafice team cohesion for goals scored or stay as is?

I think Tav will be sold and the money will go towards a starting striker and Dessers will stay maybe as second or third in the pecking order.
If Tav goes, Dessers is sold and Sima returns to his parent club, that’s almost 60 goals a season gone.

How the funk do we even start to replace that?! Dessers scores goals when he’s had poor players around him. Let’s see what he does when we have a functioning midfield and attacking line supporting him.

The big man is obviously aware of some of the hate that comes his way and he splits opinion, but 20 goals without penalties for your first season in a new league can't be completely disregarded, especially when he is more than a goalscorer. It's just a shame that no other striker has been able to carry the burden with him.
I think the key point you highlight, he's had to carry the can himself pretty much all season

More than happy for him to be here next season with another striker.

Didn't Morelos not score less than 20 goals per season in 4 out of his 6 seasons ?
I’m not a fervent Morelos backer by any stretch. I understand for a large part of his Rangers career he wasn’t worth the hassle.

But this is a key example of where stats don’t tell the whole story. Morelos at his peak scored huge European goals, could be a one man front line, created goals for himself from nothing.

There’s a reason we were valuing him at £20m+ at times. It’s not just about goals these days.

Hes just not ruthless enough in front of goal. For the chances hes given his conversion isnt great. A guy like JD would come on for 15 mins, get one chance and bury it. Cant get that with Dessers. He tries but shouldnt be what we settle for. If Dani was fit, he’d have been doing that interview.

The OP makes a valid point but i think it boils down to one question.. . . Should Dessers be our striker next season?

And the answer is no..
Even if Dessers is still here next season he won't be playing every week the way he is now.

We still have Danilo who will probably be first choice. And we'll bring in one additional to replace Roofe.

The question is whether he should be kept as an option and there's definitely a case to be made.

His close control at times is fantastic, same with hold up and laying ball off to support when midfield have not gone AWOL, he runs and tries to press all the time so he IS a good footballer even if others just tend to look at some misses they tend to remember them and leave that like a stigma on their mind and under rate other attributes!

I agree but was laughing yesterday when that ball got played down the line for him, when he ran into the box I was thinking I was glad it was Dessers on the ball and not Silva or the likes as they'll just lose it, at least Dessers will cut back onto his right foot and look for runners. He has limitations to his game but he'll do the right thing here... Nope!!!! Tried a crazy shot and I was left raging he didn't do as I assumed he would B-)

I think all things considered he’s proving quite a few people wrong 20 goals is a good return allied to 7 assists, it boils down to closeness of the title race every missed chance feels like a disaster he’s been there to miss them and he’s always available he could yet prove to be the deciding factor in the title race.

Back