Interesting Dessers Interview

Even if Dessers is still here next season he won't be playing every week the way he is now.

We still have Danilo who will probably be first choice. And we'll bring in one additional to replace Roofe.

The question is whether he should be kept as an option and there's definitely a case to be made.
Personally I dont think either Dessers or Danilo should be our main striker next season.

I'd like to see a new guy brought in as the main guy up front. I don't feel either of these two fit the bill for what we need.

As mentioned above I'd definitely move Dessers on in the summer.

He’s a likeable guy but in the SPL, it’s 14 goals in 31 league games.

That’s not good enough for Rangers main striker, especially when you’ve cost 4.5M.

Good luck to him next season wherever he goes but if he is somehow still playing for us next year we may as well throw in the towel.

That’s not good enough for Rangers main striker, especially when you’ve cost 4.5M.

Good luck to him next season wherever he goes but if he is somehow still playing for us next year we may as well throw in the towel.
More goals in less games and minutes than our rivals striker this season. Granted, he has two match winning goals against us but Dessers is desperately unlucky not have had a goal and an assist against them.

The OP makes a valid point but i think it boils down to one question.. . . Should Dessers be our striker next season?

And the answer is no..
The money aside (which I know is hard to do) if we brought in a Shankland type next season and had Shanks, Danilo and Dessers all competing for the shirt. I think I'd be happy with that.

It is an interesting interview. He is a likeable big guy but talk of record number of sprints etc doesn't make a better player - scoring more goals and having better first touch and the ability to shoot on target more often would be better
He's contributing to team in other ways other than the goals, making space for others, closing down opposition of course the number of sprints and physical output make him a better player.

He has scored some massively important goals and his attitude towards being a Rangers player is correct.

We absolutely need improvement up top but I’d happily keep Dessers as part of the squad moving forward should he continue to contribute with those numbers.

More goals in less games and minutes than our rivals striker this season. Granted, he has two match winning goals against us but Dessers is desperately unlucky not have had a goal and an assist against them.
Well he certainly wasn't unlucky to fail to even shoot when 1-1 against Hart.

It's not just goals and finishing though.

He leads the line and plays up top on his own. His hold up and link up play is just awful sometimes.

If he scored 40 goals that would defo paper up the cracks but it's just quality in general I think her lacks.

Really hope he proves me wrong between now and the end of the season!!!

I'm going to use the very good , at times, Morelos again as a yardstick and not criticism
You mention SPFL goals and the stats.
5 out of 6 seasons 14 goals or lower.
Two seasons with 12 and two seasons with 11.
18 goals maximum in one season of 30 games in the SPFL.

Should also be noted Dessers assisted a goal and scored a goal against the scum,both of which would have been given in any other league in the world.

It's all there but the other side of his game in which he frustrates the life out of us is also present, which we saw in his terrible performance at their dump.

Let's see how the two remaining OF games go - he could be the difference, for either team.

Cyriel Dessers is a very likeable footballer. Shame he's as inconsistent in front of goal as he is.

14 in 31 is a better return than any striker we've had at this level fo a long time, other than 1 single season from Morelos.

More so as in those 31 he's only started 17 of them and played 90 minutes 11 times.

Big guys attitude is tremendous, who knows what next season with better players brought in around him :D can bring out of him

See if we had three strikers doing what Dessers does, posting those numbers? Then you add in the wide men playing in that front 3, say they were all scoring 10 goals each?

Where would we be then? Not chasing, that is where we wouldn't be.

I get the criticism, he gets it even, but he is the least of our troubles right now.

The one criticism i don't get is the price tag. That is European bargain bucket prices.

See if we had three strikers doing what Dessers does, posting those numbers? Then you add in the wide men playing in that front 3, say they were all scoring 10 goals each?

Was the very reason Celtic won the last 2 league titles. They had Jota, Kyogo, Abada and the Greek striker all posting very decent numbers over the season.

There's an argument to be made that Sima's injury has had the biggest impact on our season. He continued as he was and you're looking at 3 players, him, Tav and Dessers scoring over 20.

Let’s hope he scores against them in a few weeks but he still isn’t the long term answer. It’s not his fault Rangers bought him, or the fee we paid for him.

Has any striker hit 40 goals in one season for us? The last player I can think of for us being anywhere near it was Kris Boyd, and that must be not far off 20 years ago. He played in a much better team aswel. Wonder how many he'd have been on if he scored every chance. He probably should have had 60 that season going by some people's logic.

14 in 31 is a better return than any striker we've had at this level fo a long time, other than 1 single season from Morelos.

More so as in those 31 he's only started 17 of them and played 90 minutes 11 times.

We’ve not had a genuine top striker at the club since Jelavic. It’s those levels we need to be scouting / recruiting if we want to get back to the top and stay there.

Has any striker hit 40 goals in one season for us? The last player I can think of for us being anywhere near it was Kris Boyd, and that must be not far off 20 years ago. He played in a much better team aswel. Wonder how many he'd have been on if he scored every chance. He probably should have had 60 that season going by some people's logic.
Scoring 30 plus goals is extremely rare I reckon about 5 players at best since the 70s and Derek Johnstone.

Can't not like the guy and certainly welcome those goals but I'm sure watching his football this season has knocked 6 years off my life lol

His close control at times is fantastic, same with hold up and laying ball off to support when midfield have not gone AWOL, he runs and tries to press all the time so he IS a good footballer even if others just tend to look at some misses they tend to remember them and leave that like a stigma on their mind and under rate other attributes!

For seasons we cried for a striker who scores goals and here he is under our noses tazz!

Sounds to me though I could be wrong like you love the guy because of you trust what you see (though not perfect but nobody is) he is delivering! He is a better player than others are making you doubt what you think?

Trust what you see my friend.
A lot of truth in your post here.
Even the analysis of me!
I wish I’d worded my post differently now.
Rather than say “better footballer” I wish I’d said “better finisher”.
There can be no denying that, despite his fairly admirable return, he should have scored more than he has.

20 goals is decent. However I'm just frustrated with Dessers as a lot of the games seem to pass him by. Sometimes it feels like he isn't even on the pitch.
He should've had 35 goals with the amount of chances he's had this season... it seems he needs around 5 or 6 chances to get a goal which isn't always possible against decent or stubborn opposition.
Games pass our strikers by because we have a number ten who doesn't actually do anything 75% of games and our midfield is spending half its time covering gaps left by our defenders whilst also we having an assortment of injuries to our already small pool of wide players because Beale got rid of them all as he wanted to play a narrow system and then ditched it first game of the season.

Dessers is scoring goals in a shocking Rangers team, and Clement has got this team to where it is too. Both deserve a lot of credit. Neither deserve any criticism. I don't know a single striker on the planet who's expected to score every chance they get. If he wasn't scoring at all it's a problem, but he is and we'd be nowhere near any trophies this season without Dessers. People who just don't want to be wrong will have an issue with that, that's fine, most of us will continue to back a guy who's pretty much winning us games on a weekly basis.

If Tav goes, Dessers is sold and Sima returns to his parent club, that’s almost 60 goals a season gone.

How the funk do we even start to replace that?! Dessers scores goals when he’s had poor players around him. Let’s see what he does when we have a functioning midfield and attacking line supporting him.
I’d like to see Sima either extend his loan or we get him on board permanently.

Dessers scores goals but a lot of our play coming forward breaks down at him and we lose the ball. I’d say that part of his game still causes problems with even better midfielders than we have.

Danilo although still not the answer linked up with the midfield more effectively and I wonder what his goal tally would have been if he stayed fit?

He seems a really genuine guy. Someone you would be hard pushed to dislike. I'm not going to lie, I do feel bad as I've been his biggest critic.

I'm not blind though and I think the kindest way to say this is that big Cyriel's understanding isn't aligned with what's required , indeed demanded of a Rangers striker when wearing that shirt.

Personally I dont think either Dessers or Danilo should be our main striker next season.

I'd like to see a new guy brought in as the main guy up front. I don't feel either of these two fit the bill for what we need.

As mentioned above I'd definitely move Dessers on in the summer.
Suppose it comes down to what we can get for him.

If we're only getting offered £2m then we'd be as well keeping him. Probably won't find a better squad player for that money.

If we're looking for a new guy to be the main man then Danilo might be sold before Dessers. We'd probably get 5 or 6 million back for him.

We’ve not had a genuine top striker at the club since Jelavic. It’s those levels we need to be scouting / recruiting if we want to get back to the top and stay there.

Jelavic was lethal. Would love if we could unearth a player of his quality again. He scorer every type of goal.

Slay the Tims on the way to the title will be one way of turning it all around.

just ask big Bert Konterman!

never has a man went from zero to hero in a sharp intake of breath.

He has the correct mentality to be a Rangers player. He has his limitations which he owns.

He scores big goals and 20 for the season is impressive.
he keeps coming back for more. Misses plenty chances but doesnt hide. You can only admire that.
20 goals is pretty impressive I would thnk.

Dessers has proved himself. He gives his all. If Danilo or Sima had stayed fit he would have done even better. He has to do it all.

I think with a pre season under Phil we will see a better Dessers next season, I'm hoping so and it would be good to see him on 30 goals per season (league) :)

To come back from being ironically cheered off by his own fans and to score 20 goals so far shows the mentality he has, yes he misses chances, so did Morelos, Novo, Miller etc
As he said himself look at what else he brings to the team.
Overall it could end up a fantastic first season for Dessers if things go our way in the next 5 games.
Remember how many headers Morelos missed and took him forever to score against them.

Big Dessers has the work rate of Kenny Miller but the finishing of Sebo
But he has scored 20 goals in his debut season and he knows that's not good enough , he's also crabbit which is the sign of a winner
I think he should get another season he always tries even when he never gets a touch , and trust me I've slated him more than any other player this season

I find it difficult to keep up with the ever changing attitude towards Dessers. One week he’s the worst striker that’s ever kicked a ball, then one open goal at Love Street later he’s the man and a player who’s actually done well for us this season. Seems to be either sugar or shite with the support and that changes weekly.

Got to say that he's never hidden and 20 goals is a more than decent return. Very rarely injured as well.
If we had more firepower from the middle of the park and even his fellow forwards we could've been in a different position. Has scored some really good goals but the rub is that he has misses some unbelievable chances. I'd still take 20 goals + a season from him.

20 goals is decent. However I'm just frustrated with Dessers as a lot of the games seem to pass him by. Sometimes it feels like he isn't even on the pitch.
He should've had 35 goals with the amount of chances he's had this season... it seems he needs around 5 or 6 chances to get a goal which isn't always possible against decent or stubborn opposition.
I agree re the frustrations however we need also to remember its his first season in a new counrty and the first couple of months in the season were a write off, he joins a small band of players who have hit 20 goals for us in the last 20 years so for those reasons he has to be applauded.

Latest posts

Back