Interesting Dessers Interview

I find it difficult to keep up with the ever changing attitude towards Dessers. One week he’s the worst striker that’s ever kicked a ball, then one open goal at Love Street later he’s the man and a player who’s actually done well for us this season. Seems to be either sugar or shite with the support and that changes weekly.

I watched the Forest v Man City game yesterday. Forest striker Chris Wood is rated by many English pundits. He missed at least two absolute sitters and in some ways was reminiscent of big Cyriel. The difference between them is that Cyriel never lets his head go down, which in my opinion Chris Wood did yesterday. Incidentally, if Dessers was in Love Street when he scored that goal yesterday it must have been some f'n header!

Reactions: WLF
I watched the Forest v Man City game yesterday. Forest striker Chris Wood is rated by many English pundits. He missed at least two absolute sitters and in some ways was reminiscent of big Cyriel. The difference between them is that Cyriel never lets his head go down, which in my opinion Chris Wood did yesterday. Incidentally, if Dessers was in Love Street when he scored that goal yesterday it must have been some f'n header!
St Mirren don’t deserve to have their new stadium called by the right name :))

I agree but was laughing yesterday when that ball got played down the line for him, when he ran into the box I was thinking I was glad it was Dessers on the ball and not Silva or the likes as they'll just lose it, at least Dessers will cut back onto his right foot and look for runners. He has limitations to his game but he'll do the right thing here... Nope!!!! Tried a crazy shot and I was left raging he didn't do as I assumed he would B-)
This has been a big problem for awhile where we do some good work then fluff the end result also same with calamity defending!

He's going to return from pre-season and play like prime Mark Hateley. You heard here first.
a98c8e9e-f9f4-4bc8-81c3-24a1411331c7_text.gif

A lot of truth in your post here.
Even the analysis of me!
I wish I’d worded my post differently now.
Rather than say “better footballer” I wish I’d said “better finisher”.
There can be no denying that, despite his fairly admirable return, he should have scored more than he has.
Just believe in your own truth and enjoy debating with others who have different views my friend!

What would Super's record be like had he scored more or every chance that fell to him but same applies he should have scored more?

Yes probably right he could have had more but nobody scores 100% of their chances regardless of who they are!

The problem with Dessers is you don’t trust him to take chances that come his way. You always have a doubt that he will miss. Had he taken one or two chances he missed (e.g. Ross County) we wouldn’t be trailing them.

That said he had massively improved his all round game over the course of the season and his 20 goals has enabled us to amass the points we have.

If he can grab the goals which beat the Tim’s in the forthcoming league and cup matches and help deliver a treble he will be an absolute hero

He comes across as a genuinely nice bloke, can't help but like his attitude and positivity. And there is no arguing with the stats, he is scoring goals and he is providing some quality assists. Equally there is no arguing with his limitations - occasionally frustratingly slow to react, delays shooting when he should just hit it, and gets caught offside often. Still, his attitude and willingness to brush disappointing misses off and get back at it is another positive trait.

I think he'd thrive in a classic big / little striker combo if we played 2 up top, possibly with Danilo.

Right now, he's the best / only striker option we have so we need to get behind him. Enough positivity around him and he might just bag us the winner at the bheggardome, now that would cement his place in our hearts.

Games pass our strikers by because we have a number ten who doesn't actually do anything 75% of games and our midfield is spending half its time covering gaps left by our defenders whilst also we having an assortment of injuries to our already small pool of wide players because Beale got rid of them all as he wanted to play a narrow system and then ditched it first game of the season.

Dessers is scoring goals in a shocking Rangers team, and Clement has got this team to where it is too. Both deserve a lot of credit. Neither deserve any criticism. I don't know a single striker on the planet who's expected to score every chance they get. If he wasn't scoring at all it's a problem, but he is and we'd be nowhere near any trophies this season without Dessers. People who just don't want to be wrong will have an issue with that, that's fine, most of us will continue to back a guy who's pretty much winning us games on a weekly basis.

This in spades. We've, yet again, got ourselves into the utterly shite situation of having nothing going for us outwide and an ineffectual number 10. It's the same issues we had with Kent not contributing to the goal tally and Aribo not scoring often enough. But with worse players overall.

It's all ifs and buts, however if Sima and Danilo remained fit, and we had Cortes fit, maybe the burden would have been eased on Dessers. Instead, we've had Dessers and Tav basically be our only de facto goalscorers for the past 6 months. Completely unsustainable.

The problem with Dessers is you don’t trust him to take chances that come his way. You always have a doubt that he will miss. Had he taken one or two chances he missed (e.g. Ross County) we wouldn’t be trailing them.

That said he had massively improved his all round game over the course of the season and his 20 goals has enabled us to amass the points we have.

If he can grab the goals which beat the Tim’s in the forthcoming league and cup matches and help deliver a treble he will be an absolute hero
To be fair here, I never really trusted Kenny Miller too much either!

Abso-feckin-lutely.

Amazing that he speaks so well publicly. Certainly doesn't lack confidence, it seems. Which is amazing after the stick he's taken this year.

Not saying he will, but I'd love it if he stayed next season and kicked on. 20+ goals again, but 5 of them against the scum.

He is a nice guy, he works hard, he gets into good positions (and to be fair is offside a lot less than he was at the start of the season) but I don’t have any confidence in him to take a crucial chance in a big game.

I like him as a person, and I wish him the best over the next 4 weeks - and I would be more than happy to get some of our money back and move him on in the summer.

20 goals is decent. However I'm just frustrated with Dessers as a lot of the games seem to pass him by. Sometimes it feels like he isn't even on the pitch.
He should've had 35 goals with the amount of chances he's had this season... it seems he needs around 5 or 6 chances to get a goal which isn't always possible against decent or stubborn opposition.
20 goals in the SPFL for any striker worth their salt is pre-requisite

Id like a look at his XG over the season.

Shankland wins us this title

Check out Dessers’ pace for Lawrence’s fluffed chance.

He’s absolutely rapid.

I do wonder if Beale’s pre-season - direct from the coach we got from Tamworth or Barnsworth or Blackpudding Rovers or whatever - has been one of the biggest factors in our stuttering season.

Tav & Goldson - for all their faults - looking fatigued is a huge red flag.

Check out Dessers’ pace for Lawrence’s fluffed chance.

He’s absolutely rapid.

I do wonder if Beale’s pre-season - direct from the coach we got from Tamworth or Barnsworth or Blackpudding Rovers or whatever - has been one of the biggest factors in our stuttering season.

Tav & Goldson - for all their faults - looking fatigued is a huge red flag.

He was clearly still recovering from injury at the start of the season. He's like a different player now.

I'm sure he admitted that too, he was slower than the hungover Morelos at the start of the season but now showing pace & strength. Definitely had to shake something off.

He got a bad injury around March last season that put him out until he joined us.

He was still recovering in the early part of the season, but he still played, did his best, frustrated the hell out of us, and scored a few goals.

I think the guys improved clearly & I’ll take him every day of the week before Kemar Roofe & other penalty box strikers.

Like every Rangers striker, he needs to do one thing regularly - score against Celtic. That’s the difference between success and failure in Glasgow. Morelos found this to his cost, Boyd to a certain extent too. Kyogo has been awful this season but twice been the difference between the sides this year. He needs a big goal in a big game - good time to start in a few weeks…

He’s a likeable guy but in the SPL, it’s 14 goals in 31 league games.

That’s not good enough for Rangers main striker, especially when you’ve cost 4.5M.

Good luck to him next season wherever he goes but if he is somehow still playing for us next year we may as well throw in the towel.
So near enough a 1 in 2 strikes isn’t good enough…what do you actually expect from strikers in-terms of goals to games? Genuine question as that seems a bit nuts to me.

He's woeful.

He really can't play as a lone striker because nothing sticks to him and he never really works a defence in a way that opens the game up for others.

We could have spent a million pound anywhere and got a similar striker and probably a better one who would take up better positions and be more instinctive.

He has no composure and by the manager's own admission he's too nice.

He's a key factor in why we don't really look like a team that can win the league.
He's not the only factor but he's one of them.

I would be stunned if the manager wants him here next season probably only his contract which will probably lead him not to get a move that suits him to go.

So near enough a 1 in 2 strikes isn’t good enough…what do you actually expect from strikers in-terms of goals to games? Genuine question as that seems a bit nuts to me.
He needs to score against Celtic. I’m not saying that’s right, but it’s the reality. Guys who have scored way less goals than Dessers are revered by our support for doing just that.

Not having a go at any one poster here but this thread is littered with "we need better next season"

My question to those posters is whom? Now lets not hit out with replies like "I'm sure the manager knows what he wants" "That's the job of the club" lets have a discussion on what strikers are available, have scored more than Dessers this season and that we can not only afford but afford to pay more than any other club that may be interested.

And go.

The big man is obviously aware of some of the hate that comes his way and he splits opinion, but 20 goals without penalties for your first season in a new league can't be completely disregarded, especially when he is more than a goalscorer. It's just a shame that no other striker has been able to carry the burden with him.
You can say what you like , but I love the big guy and for me he did score against the Tim's, goal should've stood . To all those slagging him , where would we be today without him ,

If we can get decent money for him this summer I would sell him. He’s just not right for the way we play and on the back of his 20 plus ( hopefully) goals there should be interest in him,

The big man is obviously aware of some of the hate that comes his way and he splits opinion, but 20 goals without penalties for your first season in a new league can't be completely disregarded, especially when he is more than a goalscorer. It's just a shame that no other striker has been able to carry the burden with him.
He hasn’t got 20 goals in the league, he’s got 14 goals in the league and 6 in the cups/Europe, but point taken.

I remember super Ally being hounded in his first year with us, a lot of it to do with missed chances. Point being he was always there to miss them, same as Dessers
I remember the chants of Ally....get tae f**k, Ally, Ally get tae f**k when I was a wee boy. I used to get quite upset as I'm called Ally. He ended up as our greatest ever goalscorer- which no-one would have believed was possible at the time. I'm not saying Dessers is like Super, but he has a knack of getting in the right positions, just needs to sharpen up his finishing somewhat.

I remember the chants of Ally....get tae f**k, Ally, Ally get tae f**k when I was a wee boy. I used to get quite upset as I'm called Ally. He ended up as our greatest ever goalscorer- which no-one would have believed was possible at the time. I'm not saying Dessers is like Super, but he has a knack of getting in the right positions, just needs to sharpen up his finishing somewhat.
Couldn't be more wrong -you will never see many strikers pick up worse positions than Dessers.

The fact he scores is because he's in the last third as a striker-but ghosting in, getting the other side of defenders etc? Even a just arrived at Rangers McCoist would have scored close to 30 this season

Dessers has his weaknesses and we know that, so does he. Yet he never hides and for most of this season, has stood up and accepted the challenge. if we got more goals from others areas of the team ,apart from Tav. Then maybe the criticism wouldn't have have been as much! I am still looking for another front man in the summer!

You can say what you like , but I love the big guy and for me he did score against the Tim's, goal should've stood . To all those slagging him , where would we be today without him ,
There's a good chance if we didn't buy him we might've bought someone better, or just as good?

plank of wood

"worst signing in our history"
So he's worse than the likes of Franny Jeffers (0 goals in 14 games), Filip Sebo (2 goals in 24 games), James Beattie (0 goals in 10 games), Eduardo Herrera (2 goals in 24 games) and let us not forget the elusive Daniel Prodan who cost £2.2 million and never played a single minute for us? I could name many others but I've already wasted enough time responding to this nonsense.

Despite having an absolute pish attitude for a professional athlete and regularly letting the club down with his indiscipline, not to mention scoring 3 goals in 25 games against celtic, Morelos still gets hero worship from some on here.

Back