Irish Cup Final - Linfield v Cliftonville

CalvinBassey55

Absolutely huge game in the Northern Irish football calendar tomorrow. The first Irish Cup final between Linfield and Cliftonville since 1934, the Blues v the Reds, South Belfast v North Belfast. A sold out occasion set to break local football records. (and sold out within record time, 24 hours). A reported 16,000 heading to Windsor park tomorrow. Breaking the previous record of 14,190 in attendance for the 2001 final when Glentoran beat Linfield after extra time.

Cliftonville will be making a bid to secure their first Irish cup since 1979, a previous final in which they grew a lot of their current support from. Due to Belfast Celtic fading away, the Nationalist community of Belfast tended towards Cliftonville in the 70s (a story for another day). The most successful and supported team in the country, Linfield, will be looking to secure a domestic cup double to soften the blow of losing the league to a strong Larne team for the second consecutive season. A huge game tomorrow with a lot a stake for both sides. Personally, I am not a supporter of either team but as an avid supporter of local football within Northern Ireland I will be in attendance for the biggest cup game in our modern domestic history. Will any other Ulster bears be in attendance tomorrow? and what's your thoughts on the game?

Also, anyone across the water who hasn't much planned for tomorrow afternoon, 14:30 on BBC iPlayer, I highly recommended.

Absolutely huge game in the Northern Irish football calendar tomorrow. The first Irish Cup final between Linfield and Cliftonville since 1934, the Blues v the Reds, South Belfast v North Belfast. A sold out occasion set to break local football records. (and sold out within record time, 24 hours). A reported 16,000 heading to Windsor park tomorrow. Breaking the previous record of 14,190 in attendance for the 2001 final when Glentoran beat Linfield after extra time.

Cliftonville will be making a bid to secure their first Irish cup since 1979, a previous final in which they grew a lot of their current support from. Due to Belfast Celtic fading away, the Nationalist community of Belfast tended towards Cliftonville in the 70s (a story for another day). The most successful and supported team in the country, Linfield, will be looking to secure a domestic cup double to soften the blow of losing the league to a strong Larne team for the second consecutive season. A huge game tomorrow with a lot a stake for both sides. Personally, I am not a supporter of either team but as an avid supporter of local football within Northern Ireland I will be in attendance for the biggest cup game in our modern domestic history. Will any other Ulster bears be in attendance tomorrow? and what's your thoughts on the game?

Also, anyone across the water who hasn't much planned for tomorrow afternoon, 14:30 on BBC iPlayer, I highly recommended.
Cheers for the heads up.

I’m taking my eldest daughter, south stand. Looking forward to it. If I’m travelling from Lisburn where is best to park? Find a car park in the city centre and walk?

I’m taking my eldest daughter, south stand. Looking forward to it. If I’m travelling from Lisburn where is best to park? Find a car park in the city centre and walk?
I’d recommend the train mate, it’s very handy from Lisburn to Windsor. Traffic/parking is going to be chaos tomorrow in town.

Will be amazed if Cliftonville lose yet another irish cup final
I have that feeling as well mate, I know linfield obviously finished higher than them in the table but from what I’ve seen all year I think they play better football than the blues. The bookies have them at 3.80 and Linfield at 1.80. I think it should be a lot closer than that…

Good luck Linfield. I went to a few of their games when I worked in Belfast a long time ago . Good to see it is sold out as well.

Is it 50/50 in terms of tickets sold ?

Cheers mate, I’ll do that. Daughter wants to wear a rangers top, assume there won’t be any bother with that
Certainly no problem. I am bringing my grandson to his first Linfield match. He has been to Ibrox a few times but never Windsor. He will be wearing one of his Rangers tops, as he doesn't have a Linfield one.
For anyone interested, Barrington Street Rangers Club (Donegall Road) will be open from 10.30 with ice cream vans. burgers, bouncy castles etc for the kids outside. Last time a flute band led a parade up to the ground.
Really looking forward to the Wee Blues horsing my local team.

Is it a sell out mate? I know this is a bigger game but I was at the Linfield v Glenavon final and there were thousands of spare seats.
Sold out in the respect of number of tickets available, health & safety are over zealous in irish league football so you will likely see a few thousand empty seats in the North stand due to 1 exit being in operation due to segregation purposes.

Just to reiterate, those with Sky who live outside Northern Ireland can watch the final on Channel 969 BBC 2 NI, kick off 2.30 pm. Also on BBC I/Player. Those not au fait with this game note that Cliftonville have a big republican support and Linfield PUL support.

Back